List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Edit history:
Andrew_Mills: 2011-02-14 11:47:19 am
Andrew_Mills: 2011-02-14 07:14:58 am
Andrew_Mills: 2011-02-14 07:04:58 am
AlphaStrategyGui des.com
I'm experimenting with capturing in 1080i59.94 and it's obviously interlaced.

I'm using MeGUI and Telecide() for deinterlacing and chopping the frame rate down to 29.94fps (the actual FPS for the game I'm recording - Dead Space 2).

How much better is mvbob() over Telecide() and if I used mvbob() to deinterlace, what command would be the best for halving the frame rate to 29.94?

I've been working with progressive encoding for too long now it seems! embarassed
Thread title:  
Edit history:
bmn: 2011-02-14 12:05:13 pm
bmn: 2011-02-14 07:36:36 am
bmn: 2011-02-14 07:34:24 am
29.97 ^_-

As I understand it, Telecide isn't designed for interlaced footage - its job is to deal with duplicate frames from telecining. The issue with capturing F2 footage interlaced is that if the recording goes out of sync with the input by one F1 frame (which is pretty common), you get an effect similar to interlacing until another frame is lost or gained, so you can't treat F2 interlaced footage as progressive unless you get lucky with the recording.

If you do come out with essentially progressive footage, then you should be able to use Telecine AFAIK.

LeakKernelBob would normally be what I'd use for a quick deinterlacing task, but, because it requires the whole video to be either Top Field First or Bottom Field First, it only works for F1 footage. MVBob would definitely do the job - which is why anri uses it for D1 F2 and D4 F1 encodings - but there's a new plugin called QTGMC that... we haven't tested >_>

Re halving the framerate, personally I'd just say use SelectEven, which throws away every second frame out of the 59.94fps footage you're left with after the deinterlace.
AlphaStrategyGui des.com
Thanks for the advice,

I'm toying around in Premier Pro CS5, so I'll see what sort of results that brings compared to mvbob and MeGUI. Smiley
AlphaStrategyGui des.com
What do you lot reckon to this? 1080p29.97 ( ^_- ) @ 30Mbps 2-pass encoding 5.1Main h.264 encode. Not sure what de-interlacer Adobe uses but it seems to work and encodes pretty fast on my quad-core. Smiley

http://www.gamerguides.co.uk/temp/1080.mp4

Ignore the gameplay, I was testing the video for any desynchs in audio/sound effects (first ever 1080 recording you see).
Edit history:
bmn: 2011-02-15 06:11:58 am
Looks good to my untrained eye.

I should mention, Avisynth treats all footage as being frame-based rather than field-based, so if you give it F2 interlaced footage, it'll output F2 progressive automatically. Assuming the recording never goes out of sync causing that interlacing effect I mentioned, simply loading the video into Avisynth is sufficient to convert F2 1080i to F2 1080p.

@nate: I gave QTGMC a quick test last night on one of my scripts using D1 F1 interlaced footage.
  • It takes about as many plugins as mvbob, so no respite there.
  • It requires a planar colourspace - in Avisynth 2.5x only YV12 fills that requirement. 2.6x has YV16 and YV24 which do the job.
  • It has x264-style profiles. The default is Slower which - on what I've tested - is about the same speed as mvbob (mvbob was 0.02fps faster on a 30 second video).
  • Comparing Slower to mvbob, details seem slightly cleaner, but it's harder to distinguish between two frames (blurry text etc). Not impressed really.
  • Haven't tested it for this purpose, but the faster profiles would probably make it a good replacement for mvbob on the simpler D1 F2 and D4 F1 jobs.
AlphaStrategyGui des.com
Ahhh... that's good to know about Avisynth Smiley What's the script for a fade in from black and fade out to black (along with fading the audio in and out at the same speed)?
http://avisynth.org/mediawiki/Fade

Quote from bmn:
I should mention, Avisynth treats all footage as being frame-based rather than field-based

AviSynth can treat it as both, I sometimes use assumeframebased and assumefieldbased for example. See: Parity.
Quits halfway
Question about QTGMC: It says it only accepts YV12/16/24, but when I use any of those, there's horrendously bad chroma ghosting. Trying to set it to YV12 obviously has all sorts of ghosting. YV16 has the top 1/3 of the screen displayed correctly (and looks nice!), but the rest is a greyish mess. YV24 is much the same way, a 960x540 box that looks okay, the rest of the screen flashes the colors of the rainbow.

What should I do to get it to display correctly? This is my current script, I have AviSynth 2.6, with this avisynth.dll.

Code:
import("D:\Program Files\AviSynth 2.5\plugins\QTGMC.avs")
avisource("p1.avi")
ConvertToYV16
ComplementParity()
QTGMC()

Just looking at the areas that aren't corrupted, it seems to be superior to mvbob when it comes to small horizontal lines.
Dead Space 2 doesn't even render in 1080i. Recording that is just recording the upscale off a console. Asf ar as I know it renders in 720p. Why not just record 720p?

On the PC, obviously it's not interlaced, so recording interlaced would be dumb.
AlphaStrategyGui des.com
Quote from CMiller:
Dead Space 2 doesn't even render in 1080i. Recording that is just recording the upscale off a console. Asf ar as I know it renders in 720p. Why not just record 720p?

On the PC, obviously it's not interlaced, so recording interlaced would be dumb.

Because with decent upscaling 1920x1080 is better than 1280x720 (both in Progressive scan). The native res may well be 720p, but when done right 1080p is a nice kick-ass resolution to offer viewers if their rig can play it.