List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
1-Up!
Game Page: Doesn't exist yet

Segmented run

Verifier Responses

Quote:
I'm noticing some odd behavior with the video that makes me wonder if the recording/encoding was handled correctly. There are some video artifacts. In particular you can note the flickering bar at the bottom all the way through the video, but you can also see flickering in the health bars and oxygen counter. There are some places where colors bleed inbetween frames as well. It's a little distracting and an easy fix if it was just encoded incorrectly, but not enough to dismiss the run for. There is progressive audio desync, you can easily tell in video 3. All of this together is indicative of conversion issues for PAL -> NTSC. Cheating is not an issue.

Segment 1: A lot of running around and cutscenes to skip. Those tank controls are pretty obnoxious but the runner handles it pretty well. The route seems pretty optimized; no wrong turns or missed items. Avoids pretty much all the mutants, and when he does have to fight the runner is pretty concise about it. I am reminded of how many useless actions and room transitions cost time-wise; I wouldn't be surprised if by the end of the run the room transitions account for 30 minutes or more. Good use of the weapon draw animation for invincibility frames. Grenading the first boss really is the best way to deal with him in that cramped room, but I like how the runner doesn't even have to move to take him out. The escape goes well. I don't know if I entirely agree with the ratio being difficult since you can retry for a loss of a couple seconds in a SS, but since the runner made this segmented it's definitely necessary to get it first try. I timed out the first segment at 28:13, from first movement to "Game Saved".

Segment 2: Nailed the chemical ratios, as expected. Dodging the dog mutants is not an easy task, so well done there. You start to see the savings from not having to stop to put on the regulator in some of these rooms. This is the shortest segment, coming in at a brisk 14:09. Not really much to say for this one; just a lot of dodging enemies.

Segment 3: Lost a bit of time with the unlucky pattern of the mutant dog towards the beginning. Lots and lots of cutscenes and walking back and forth to get through for this segment. It feels like some of the hallway cleanup could go a bit better, but again, this is a long segment so we can't ask for perfection everywhere. The time lost is pretty insignificant overall anyway. I have to wonder if it might be worth it to restore air to some of the rooms that are traveled through a lot to to cut down on the number of respirator animations, but I'll trust the runner's judgment here. The rat was very uncooperative, but it really is an annoying boss. I think it may have been worth it to split the segment up further so the runner could work on getting perfect luck on it though. Disc swap at 22:22, but the last input is at about 22:10 (video time). Gameplay resumes at 23:07. I'm not sure how to time this, so I'll just count the time where the game responds to input. Working the codes went quickly enough. The latter half of this segment was just going from checkpoint to checkpoint, and no major problems with pathing. I don't know if clearing out some of those enemies in the later portion really helps, but the time spent on it is minimal. I tallied up the total gameplay time at around 54:23.

Segment 4: Anna fight went well. Not perfect, but well enough. Barracudas be barracudas. Runner had good luck in avoiding the bull mutants in nearly every time that room was entered. Cow and Dubois fights were skipped, as mentioned in the notes. This probably saved a good minute or two. The artifacts at the bottom of the screen I think is part of the game, I remember that occurring when I played through. Knocking down rather than killing the super mutants is probably a good idea, but I don't know whether it's faster than just dodging them normally. On the giant mutant it looked like 2 of those grenades missed, which could have saved quite a bit of time. Some small parts of hesitation/getting blocked by enemies in the events leading up to the end, but nothing major. Last boss went well; I suppose just standing still is the best strategy for an enemy that's prone to running all over the place. I timed it out at 42:34.

The run went well. Pathing and routing were good in general, and those make up a majority of the time in this game. My one complaint is that since the run is already segmented, I would have liked to see the longer segments broken up further so that getting perfect luck/execution on the bosses and some of the trickier corridors would be more feasible. It's commendable to keep the number of segments low, but once the decision has been made to do segmented there's very little penalty for this game in adding more segments where necessary. Otherwise, record an SS. This game is pretty forgiving about mistakes though since the fights account for so little of the total time.

The audio and video are bigger issues. There is some definite progressive audio desync in each of the videos. In the longer segments, it gets to be about 7 seconds by the end. The video side of things isn't perfect either, although it's still reasonable. I believe the two issues are related, and come from incorrectly encoded video. This much is a simple problem, so long as the source files are still available. If the run was recorded using incorrect settings, however, it may not be recoverable.

My current vote is to ACCEPT. I would like to see this as a single segment run instead, but it still stands pretty well as-is.

New videos posted.

Quote from Same verifier:
Hmm. The new files look better (no bobbing) and the chroma issues seem to be less prominent. Unfortunately, there's still progressive audio desync in every video. I'm not sure what the precedent is here, but it really takes away from the video when the audio is almost 6-7 seconds behind.

The runner has the run uploaded to YouTube. The audio issues are not present in any of those videos, although it should be noted that the room transitions were cut to make it shorter. At the very least, it confirms that the original run audio was recorded correctly.

New videos posted.

Quote from Still the same verifier:
The newer videos (not the "fortiming" ones) look like they're all synced up now. The chroma issues are still there, but it's not that big of a distraction. How did you end up fixing the audio, anyway? Or did you slow down the video to match?

So yeah, still some minor video issues, but not enough to keep this run out. Vote changed to ACCEPT.

nate - 1
video - 0

Quote:
Game- Deep Fear
Run time- Total: 2:20:03
Part 1: 28:21
Part 2: 14:09
Part 3: 55:21
Part 4: 42:12

Video quality- This latest version is much better than the previous ones. It gets the A-OK.
Sound quality- Again, this latest version is much better, with no de-sync going on.

Evaluation of the run-

Normally I would do a segment-by-segment run-down of the run, but the previous verifier has covered everything that I was gonna mention plus a little bit more. Not much point in repeating it, so I'll stop here.

Final Decision- ACCEPT.

While it has a few moments where the runner could have improved, it still stands as a good run.

Quote:
In even shorter short then the previous verifier

Audio and Video are fine, no cheating detected.
All the locomotion and combat pass.

This run has been in waiting forever, lets get it the hell on the site (accept)
oh&Grats

Decision: Accept

Congratulations to 'icksmehl!'
Thread title:  
B+Left, Left, Up+B, ★
This run has been stuck in verification for so long, glad the run quality finally got sorted out and ended up being an accept. Congrats icksmehl!
All the things
Finally that one is out of there :p

Congrats to icksmehl, and hooray for clearing out the oldest run that was stuck in verification. Now about that Vampire Panic...
Visit my profile to see my runs!
Quote from Flip:
nate - 1
video - 0

Splendid.
Balls jerky
Yeah I never played this all the way through lmao. gg everyone else who stepped up.
The Speedrunning Teacher
Quote from Omnigamer:
Now about that Vampire Panic...

I guess that I should tackle that game next so I can try to get it out of verification.
All the things
I tried looking up some videos to get a feel for it. It seems to require a moderate amount of japanese knowledge, or else just be prepared for a lot of fumbling.
OMG Bees!
i'm really glad to see this run finally got accepted after like 2 years or so =)

i was afraid that in the end it would get rejected for not being perfect, having mediocre video quality or simply being boring to watch due to the huge amount of black loading screens. plus I have to admit it's inferior to RE in many ways, thus not quite as entertaining.

however I'd like to thank all those patient verifiers for going through the hell of enduring 30 painfull minutes of black screens Wink

I can't tell what went wrong during encoding, since my raw material was all synced up perfectly, and even the VOB files play fine in VLC. maybe pal saturn games are just a pain in the butt to encode. that flickering bar at the bottom was probably caused by my crappy recording device, so I have to apologize for that. please feel free to crop it in the final encoding. ^^

doing this run segmented probably wasn't the best decision, but since I always messed up the ratio and had to recharge air twice anyway, I just took the opportunity and saved along with it. besides that, some mutants are just pure luck to dodge, but I also have to admit that I didn't always chose the right path to bypass them. many stupid small hangups were done this way... -_-

the rat boss went as bad as it could go, and having wasted those 2 grenades on the giant mutant really bugs me as well. I think anna went quite well, but she knocked me down once, right at the beginning of the segment. maybe I should have retried that part more often to get the timing right and make it perfect. final boss however was okay, I guess.

barracuda part also went horrible. never before they bit me as much as they did in the recording. one time I even got past them without getting hit once. this part really is improvable. I just had a lot of bad luck with them, and maybe should have reset the segment there.

in spite of everything that went bad, I'm still happy that the run got accepted after all. thank you sda and verifiers for taking the time to approve of it. and hopefully soon someone will submit an even better version, single-segmented and japanese ntsc! Wink

(sorry for poor english here and there)
Balls jerky
That might have also been part of my problem... My disc is in Japanese.