List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Game page: Doesn't exist yet.

Nicholas 'Sir VG' Hoppe's easy run and Arena Bouts

Verifier Responses

Quote:
Prologue - Good use of following. Quick kills for fast advancements of the little rabite fluff ball.
well played

Chp 1 -
Could you have activated power up a little sooner?
Nice job on the quick run to and dispatch.. Could you have started off with an Earth acorn/whatever instead of using up a sprite? Then again you had the right number of Gnomes to not even bother.

Chp 2 -
Couldn't you have knocked something into the set of 3 goblins to get some confusion going on and keep them closer to together. Handled nicely otherwise.
Boss went pretty well, one of those bumpkins seemed like it wouldn't hit but did. Good job!
You could've used that last salamander you had on hand sooner. Better use of Power up!

Chp 3 -
Should've jumped onto the ladder at about 4:50 instead of just climbing onto it. Small time saver there.
Nice use of boulder scare to bypass the cats.
Damn good work on the massive slaughtering of the boss. Love the well timed and nearly perfect wisp usage. Along with the strong full tilt usage. Very nicely done fight.
Other than that, are you a sniper; cause you had some nice landings of dryad uses.

Chp 4 -
Bad fight with the Centurion; Couldn't you have plucked him with one of your salamanders you grabbed for a better fight? At least when he was close to death and you were pounded against the wall?
Wow the jump took you a while (on the boat toskip a good portion of running), why didn't you restart and retry after about the 7th failure? I mean did it still save you time, and was this about as well as you could do it?
Why did you no use the arcane balls? They can be thrown for a massive explosion damage and stun timer. You got quite a few, and they would've helped on the few centurions you fight on the boat.
I hated how slow ritzia walks in this sequence and also her horrible babbling...
Nice angel grail detour.
Boss: Nice gnome suck em in usage. I guess you had just enough salamander to do it right. Though I am pondering why you didn't resort to sticking around heavy objects and use those to slam into Stroud. Those cause the Stun.
Chapter 4 just seems so bad imho. I know its one of the worst chapters (even by boss standards) but what else can I say.

Chp 5 -
Wow that switch took forever.
Such un-luck in the fight. Nice landings of the elements on him, but bad luck with the frozen cactus' landing on you. Though I guess this ist he better plan for the boss than I would've thought. Since shade poisons, why didn't you alteratively mix him in earlier?

Chp 6 -
I assume the throwing the Vitachoke was accidental... cause that was just bad.
Boss fight: Now I know how random this guy is and all that. But why do you wait til he is low on health to push out some more of your Undine/Salamanders. I feel this fight could've been shorter and done a little better if you used more of your massive stock you got for the fight. You have a lot of salamanders/undines left. Sure it doesn't support the barrier problems, but going down to 4-5 then going back up; doesn't actually cost time in this fight. Cause of how little you can actually hit him at close range.

Chp 7 -
Good job following watts. Not a lot of time wasted; Though why didn't you pick up the dryad? Why didn't you throw down the rock at about 14:30? Seemed like it would've worked well to distract the grim golems.
Great boss fight, nice use of full tilt at the start and then the massive rape fest. Good dodging and setting up. Decent fight against the Avikrons and guards, but it seems like you were dodging a little much. Could've gotten better use of the rocks.

Chp 8 -
Quick straight movement to Stroud. FIrst form handled well. You didn't get too lucky with the last tower, then again everything else was done very well in stroud part 2. Pretty quick, fast in and outs. Towers done in timely manner when required to.
Followed medusa pretty well. Quicker than I thought. Medusa boss fight was done really well, except the few times you got hit. I dont think it could've be done that much faster.

Story run - Pretty good, there is a bad chapter 4, needed to be improved on but the rest of the run is executed well. I wish there was a way for him to re-do and improve chapter 4. But thats about it.

Bouts:
1 Very fast obliteration.
2 Seems like there some slight pauses that could be done without but done well.
3 Good use of pebbles.
4 Pre-knowledge for the win. Nice lining up.
5 ----
6 Nice full tilt.
7 ----
8 why no use of power up?
9 ----
10 ----
11 ----
12 ----
13 ----
14 nice jumping
15 ----
16 bad luck with the wind and the centurion - should've been redone.
17 ----
18 ----
19 ----
20 why  not some more full tilts in there?
21 ----
22 ----
23 Better than normal; Used Power up; and good uses for dryad salamander
24 ----
25 good use of full tilts.
26 ----
27 ----
28 bad quality on the avi?? seemed to be blurry.
29 ----
30 ----
31 ----
32 cut it a little close

For all ---- the bout was fine, but I wondered why he didn't bother with power up. Especially in the later bouts with some of the massively high hps! I swear that powerup doesn't interfere with the freezing or burning of the sword.

Overall;
Bouts are done well, if power up can't be used with the ice/fire sword then accept otherwise, its just a big set of bouts that are not optimized because of this fact.

The main story is done fine, i just wish chapter 4 would've been done better -> accept.

Later I talked with the verifier about his critical comments over AIM

Quote:
Me: you seem to be saying that the run is acceptable
Me: but you point out a lot of mistakes
Verifier: : Its easier to see a flaw than a merit?
Verifier: : Out of all of them; the mistakes are only really horrible in chp 4
Verifier: : Some of them are just un avoidable (The masked mage fight is horrendously random)
Verifier: : There is a lot of random to that game even on easy. He follows nice straight paths, kills what is needed; for the main game
Verifier: : Some of them i wrote them while watching so; they get answered later, but some of them don't mostly in chapter 4
Verifier: : Hence my dislike for that chapter.
Me: ok
Verifier: : I was just commenting; i mean that is kinda long yah?
Me: right
Verifier: Some people just say its good gameplay, others write down what could be improved, and what not. I'm the improvement guy
Verifier: So if its rejected they generally know where to start in fixing it

The other verifier asked his comments be withheld. He said that the run was good, but occasionally the runner had to play to survive. Overall a good beginning that can be refined later.

Decision: Accept

Reason: Verifiers liked the run and thought the runner used the best paths.
Thread title:  
Edit history:
Sir VG: 2008-11-15 03:04:04 am
Fucking Weeaboo
Well kids, here's history.  My streak of single-segment speedruns posted to SDA is now over.  And it's been going for over 3 years!  Wow.

Sayonara to that streak. Sad

Edit: Just some added responses.  Granted I'm doing this looking at my own videos, mostly.  It has been a year since I've done these.

Quote:
20 why  not some more full tilts in there?

Bout 20: I can't use Full Tilt until magic reaches Lv 3, which didn't happen until late in the video.  If I had gotten rid of the Gorgon's Glares a bit sooner before the Grim Hobgoblin, I could have used one there, and maybe on one more of the Grim Matango, but pretty much most of the monsters I faced after I reached Lv 3 it would have been a waste to use it on since I would have killed them long before Full Tilt was over.

Quote:
8 why no use of power up?

I'm not sure.  I need to double check my emblems equipped to see if I could use Templar of Mana instead, which would give permanent Power-Up + Aegis.  I know what 3 of my emblems are for certain (Max Weapon, Ice Wielder, and Scary Shooter), but I need to double check my other 2.

Quote:
16 bad luck with the wind and the centurion - should've been redone.

Yeah, forgot about that.  I should rework that later.

Quote:
32 cut it a little close

Yeah.  Bout 32 is a bitch.  I'm hoping I can find a better reworking that can get me to an S rank, which I'm guessing (knowing my luck) that it's a sub 9:30 time.

Quote:
Chapter 4

This level is another bitch of a level, especially since Stroud LOVES to block everything.  It's actually EASIER on hard then it is on easy!  Though I do still have all the save files from this, so I could try going back and reworking on this later.

Quote:
Chapter 5

Finding out he wasn't immune to poison was an accident.  I just threw that at the end because I think that was all I had.  And it worked.

Quote:
Chapter 6

Since the boss isn't weak to them when he's not using a barrier, I felt there was no need to use it in non-barrier mode and focus on straight out attacking early, the throw stuff at him in the end, since he has a high defense late in the battle.  I did probably over calculate on # needed, though probably from doing on higher modes.  Not sure...

I know there's some reworkings needed.  Something I can work on since I'm fiddling around with the game again (now that I have a desire to work on something like SS Hard Mode, since I know there are verifiers out there!).  I'll see what I can do later.
Edit history:
TheVoid: 2009-07-08 04:15:17 am
I just finished watching this run and I noticed something odd which isn't mentioned anywhere (Not in the comments nor in the verification reports). Do note I've never played this game so it may be a specific game thing but I actually doubt it.

You ended segment 8 with both your health and mana levels at level 3, but then segment 9 starts with both levels on level 2. It's a disadvantage though, but still. I haven't really tried checking other items yet, just wanted to point this out.

EDIT: In the left-bottom of the screen under your health bar, you ended segment 8 with 1 "Angel's grail", in segment 9 you had none.
You ended segment 8 with Salamander 3, and in the beginning of segment 9 you picked 1 more up, but later on in the segment when you switched to Salamander you only had 1.
You ended segment 8 with 0 Wisps, but in the battle against the second Grim Stroud version you had 10 Wisps. This is an advantage since you're using them to knock out Grim Stroud.
Throughout segment 9 you cycled through the items (The Pebbles and Salamander and Wisps) and I saw no mention of the Dryad item so I guess you had 0, while you ended segment 8 with 6 Dryad.
Fucking Weeaboo
Quote:
You ended segment 8 with both your health and mana levels at level 3, but then segment 9 starts with both levels on level 2. It's a disadvantage though, but still. I haven't really tried checking other items yet, just wanted to point this out.

Levels don't carry over.  You always start with all levels at 1, except attack starting in Chapter 7, which starts at 2.  The only other way it's affected is via emblems.

Items also do not carry over from chapter to chapter, and neither do my spirit stones.
Edit history:
TheVoid: 2009-07-11 12:19:22 am
So all is well then? Ok, my bad. That'll teach me for watching a run of a game I've never played Wink
It just looked very suspicious (Even to someone who hasn't played the game) and I already wondered how the verifiers could've possibly overlooked this... Heh.

Carry on.

EDIT: Though I'm still wondering how you got 10 Wisps, I didn't see you picking them up anywhere in segment 9. Is that also an Emblem thing?
Fucking Weeaboo
You must be thinking of a different segment, because I don't remember even getting Wisp in Segment 9 (I think all I got was Undine, Salamandre, and Dryad).  I did get a bunch in Segment 8 though, which I had 11 before the boss.  The thing about collecting them is that you don't just get 1 hexorb when you collect, but you can get a bunch.  I'm sure if you watch that entire segment and pay attention, you'll see where I get them all, if you just add it up.
I was talking about the last segment, segment 9.
And I just went through it carefully checking the stuff, and yeah you got the 10 Wisp (All at once) at 8:03.
Fucking Weeaboo
Quote from TheVoid:
I was talking about the last segment, segment 9.
And I just went through it carefully checking the stuff, and yeah you got the 10 Wisp (All at once) at 8:03.

Yeah, you can get major hexorbs are one time, depending on your luck (and probably your difficulty).  Heh, I forgot I had them in that segment. ^^;;