List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
1-Up!
Game Page: Doesn't exist yet

SS any% and 100% runs

Verifier Responses

Quote:
Video quality is good (not that it can look bad anyway lol)
game doesn't have audio (secondary track was great too)
no cheating

i love this game. It's interesting and i wondered why i never came across it back when i was a newgrounds/Flash game nut. The strategy was nice, especially on the 100%. The mashing on the 99click box could be a bit faster; there's a few milliseconds wasted for "preparation" where I assume the runner switches hands for mashing or switches hand grip to mash with the offhand. Either way, it's just a few milliseconds.

accept

Quote:
Not sure how he managed to click that fast.

Video is good, no audio in the game, except for the commentary (why isn't there any for the 100%?

Beyond the clicking speed beyond my ability, I really have nothing to say.

Accept.

Quote:
No visible cheating, although god knows how he managed to click that fast; I don't believe he's cheating and using some sort of program because it's just irregular enough to seem done by a hand. But I would love to know what sort of technique he uses to achieve that sort of speed! I also took a look to see if the clock speed in game and in the video synced and they seemed to do so.

Video is fine with no problems, no audio obviously, and the 'commentary' track present in the non-100% consisted of synthesized song... weird, but catchy.

Not sure how we're timing this one, but 1:48 seems right for the any%, as he begins to move at around 0:08 and finishes at around 1:56; however, given that any improvement will be in the order a couple of seconds at the most, it would be important to time this one spot-on.

Anyway, in terms of strategy, in both cases, because the time each live takes is fixed, what the runner needs to do is minimize the number of lives he takes to accomplish a certain number of actions, namely finding the right box, clicking the 2nd button, clicking the 99 box and then clicking the 1st, 3rd, 4th and 5th buttons in both cases and, in the 100%, click all the pyramids.

I'm pretty confident that he's got the optimal strategy down for the any%, I really can't see how he could change the order of his actions in any way to make it go faster, and his execution is really good too; this game is tougher than it seems to run quickly, since you need quite precise mouse movements and it's not hard to get confused with the movements of your previous lives on-screen. I can't see much more than, possibly, a 1 second improvement, barring a boost in the mouse clicking speed or inhuman precision, because the final time is mainly decided by how fast he can get his 2nd life up to the 3 buttons and it's about as good as it gets, which means he's very close to optimal.

As for the 100%, can't see how to improve in terms of strategy as each life is used to the full, so that the number of lives is kept is to a minimum, and the execution is, again, pretty close to optimal.

Since they're pretty fun runs to watch, short and sweet, demonstrating good planning and very good execution, my verdict is accept for both runs.

Quote:
Accept the any%. Route is optimal and execution is good.

Reject the 100% because a close look at the submitted run makes me pretty certain that, at least with Aftermath's button mashing abilities, 100% can be achieved with only 5 cursors if the route is optimised a bit.

There are several clear inefficiencies in the current 100% route:

* Cursor 1 sits on the button for aaaaages at the end of its life. That time could've been used for clicking on spikes. More precisely, it can be used to clear all the spikes on floors 6 and 5 before returning to the button.
* Cursor 2 sits on its button for a little bit of time. That time could've been used to take out at least 2 more spikes, 3 at a bit of a push, and 4 at a real push.
* Cursor 4 spends seconds clicking on the 99-click box, even though it was going to be opened pretty quickly anyway by cursors 2 and 3. That time could've been used clicking spikes in the floors before the 99-click box. It also sits on its button for some time at the end, so it probably could've clicked an extra spike.
* Cursor 5 sits around serving no useful purpose for ages at the end of its life.
* Cursor 6 also has some idle time at the end of its life.

So here's a proposed 5-cursor route that should be possible to fit in judging by the time that stuff takes in the currently submitted 100%:

* Cursor 1 clears two spikes on floor 1, then goes up to the button on floor 8, stays on it briefly, then clears floors 8, 7, 6 and 5 before finishing up on the button on floor 6.
* Cursor 2 clears the other two spikes on floor 1, then proceeds to the 99-click box and destroys it ASAP as per the current run. It clears two spikes on floor 15 before coming to rest on its button.
* Cursor 3 clears floor 2, then goes to the button and mashes its way through. This should still leave it enough time to clear 12 spikes on the other side of the 99-click box, so it clears (for example) floor 11 and all but one spike on floor 12. This leaves 23 spikes on the floors above the 99-click box for cursors 4 and 5 to clear up (clearly doable without any need for them to do any clicking on the 99-click box), while also fitting in the 21 spikes on floors 3, 9 and 10 in the time they spend waiting for the 99-click box to be destroyed by cursors 2 and 3. We know that cursors 2 and 3 spend time to clear two and four spikes respectively before setting off to the box; also, the time Aftermath takes in the currently submitted run to destroy the box is roughly equal to the time he takes to clear 8 or 9 spikes. This means each of cursors 4 and 5 should be able to clear about 11 or 12 spikes and reach the box right before it gets destroyed. So this should be doable. An example of the details follows.
* Cursor 4 clears floors 3 and 9, then goes straight through the 99-click box. It clears the final spike on floor 12 on its way up, then clears floor 13, and clears a spike on floor 15 before coming to rest on its button.
* Cursor 5 clears floor 10, then goes straight through the 99-click box. It clears floor 14, then goes up to floor 15, clears the final spike, and mashes on the point where the stairs will appear. Finally, it grabs the ending spike.

I was a verifier as well

Quote from Flip:
I'm also a verifier for this game and I was leaning towards rejecting the 100%. Feel better knowing the above verifier agreed with me that a cursor can be saved.

A/V is good and the any% is impressive.

The verifier above me sent his response to the runner and this was his response.

Quote:
Oh btw I quoted my response to the runner and he said

Quote from The Runner:
Was sleeping. I'm disappointed the 100% didn't pass, but after rewatching the video a couple of times I think you're quite right. I really appreciate you laying out the route, I'll try to resubmit when I'm done playing Dark Souls.

(In case you're wondering after reading that, yes I made the point that the fact that I'd given a reject vote didn't automatically mean that the run wouldn't pass.)

Decision: Accept the any%, Reject the 100%

Reason: The any% is well optimized but the runner agrees the 100% can be improved.

Congratulations to James 'Aftermath' Downing!

This 100% run will be available for a month. PM me for a link.
Thread title:  
Don't know what to speedrun :(
Nice. I remember this game from a long time ago. Should be interesting to watch Smiley

Good luck on resubmitting the 100%