--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Game Page: Doesn't exist yet

Yuri "xsite" Zarubin's Delta skill run

Verifier Responses

I asked the runner about the Cave level, and he said it was the best route he could find.

Quote:
I forgot to send you a PM when I watched it the other day. The run is so optimized and the game so broken I can't see any possibly reason to not accept this. Surpassed all my expectations. The only thing that has me worried is the cave level, as I'm not sure what the optimized route would be. Ask the runner; if he is positive no faster route is possible, this run has my blessing.

Quote:
Verifier: To start things off, Crysis
Verifier: I'll be frank, this run really surprised me
Verifier: it's by a newcomer, but it's done very well
Verifier: you can see a lot of dedication put into the run
Verifier: there are a few flaws here and there, but they're rather insignificant, considering how mindbogglingly insane some tricks and cuts in the run are
Verifier: I mean come on, the guy starts flying 1 minute into the run, how rad is that
Verifier: the found trick is strong enough to carry the entire run by itself, but it's not the only merit of the run
Verifier: unfortunately, as awesome as the execution is, the video quality of the run is somewhat lacking
Verifier: the framerate is low (especially in 2 of the early levels) and sometimes actually almost nauseating to watch
Verifier: I think the runner could have lowered the graphical settings for those levels, it would make the run much more awesome to watch
Verifier: still, I think the execution is good enough to make up for the framerate issues, plus, it's Crysis, what the hell did you expect? 7000 frames per second?
Verifier: in conclusion, I say a hearty 'aye' to this one, and congratulate the runner, too

Quote:
- the video is quite laggy (low framerate) especially when flying-circle-jump glitch is used but well I don't even imagine what RIG is required to record with such a long clipping distance.
- Sound is ok.
- shooting accuracy is acceptable, could be better though if the framerate permits it.
- amazing use of circle jump glitch, the runner "skips" about half of the game by "flying" over the map. I couldn't reproduce that glitch myself.
- no apparent cheat

verdict : planning and execution are quite good, ACCEPT

Decision: Accept

Reason: Valve isn't the only developer who makes FPSes with broken engines.
Thread title:  
Thanks guys. The framerate concerns is definitely valid, however in regards to the settings I used, the only settings I had at medium were textures, objects, shaders and shadows, and everything else was minimum. I actually had every single setting at minimum during assault and beginning of recover, but that was mostly because I kept failing due to lag and needed more fps in order to perform the tricks, and the amount I gained with the lower settings was probably around an extra 3-5 tops. On the other hand the game looks infinitely better with those 4 settings at medium vs minimum and I felt the relative small hit to fps was justified for the rest of the run. The primary complaint however is regarding fps while circle jumping, at which point I'm travelling at probably 4-5x regular speed, and for those segments to appear smooth as walking speed I would probably need to increase while fraps is running by probably close to 50%, and to do that I would need a new computer.
Edit history:
IcedCube: 2010-06-08 06:17:52 am
Verifier one here. Saw the old LMS' videos, these were that much more incredible. I'm going to have to disagree with the accuracy-criticism. I have played Crysis on the highest end (worth $4000 back then, mind you) PCs, and putting AA off or on 2x, I simply couldn't even use my weapons. The game simply interferes too much a lot of the time. I have perfect aim in most FPS', but this game has just too weird of an engine to make it even near reliable.

Congratulations to you, xsite. I've waited for this run a very long time indeed, and it just pleases me to see this on SDA after all those years. Smiley
Quote from IcedCube:
Verifier one here. Saw the old LMS' videos, these were that much more incredible. I'm going to have to disagree with the accuracy-criticism. I have played Crysis on the highest end (worth $4000 back then, mind you) PCs, and putting AA off or on 2x, I simply couldn't even use my weapons. The game simply interferes too much a lot of the time. I have perfect aim in most FPS', but this game has just to weird of an engine to make it even near reliable.

It's strange how something as simple as aim can somehow feel completely different in different FPSes, but it most surely does. I'm not sure if it's a consequence of different framerates or game lag or different levels of mouse sensitivity or mouse acceleration, or whether it's a psychological thing resulting from cosmetic differences or indeed whether it's simply a genuine difficulty difference resulting from smaller or faster enemies, but I do know that there are some games where quickly aiming and landing a headshot on a distant moving target feels like the easiest and most natural thing in the world and others where I constantly feel like a flailing incompetent and struggle to aim at someone a couple of metres in front of me, and I can rarely figure out what the difference between them is that makes it so.

Edit: By the way xsite, congrats on the run. I haven't played the game myself, but I can totally understand verifier 2 being pleasantly surprised to discover that it was good. An FPS run made by a newcomer with little to no forum support is potentially a recipe for disaster, but by the sounds of these responses you did your research well and produced an impressive run despite this.
Balls jerky
Honestly can't wait til this gets posted. Great job on getting the pass xsite.