List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Game Page: Doesn't exist yet

Austinn 'Davis' Hallman's Single-segment run

Verifier Responses

Quote:
Seems to be free of cheats. The one thing I was suspicious of was the fact that he wasn't getting targeted, but there is one track where he does. Everything's synched, but the music cuts out for half a second at 56:52 and bits of the first Pinstripe cutscene (55:02-55:23) seem to do the same. No graphics glitches.

If they're doing separate categories for classes of character, the choice of character isn't an issue. If not, it's a good choice. There are a few mistakes, each losing a few seconds. That's made up for by the overall quality of the run. The routes have clearly been researched and there are some good strategies (such as saving a turbo boost as opposed to using it straight away), all of which are typically done well. There are some surprising shortcuts used late in the run, as well as smaller ones on other tracks. The only shortcuts he doesn't go for are unreliable.

It's an accept.

Quote:
I was pretty excited to hear about a CTR run being put in, and the run did not disappoint. The runner incorporates power slides into every feasible stretch of track, making the run a science of curves. Solid drifting throughout the entire run is hard to do, it's obvious the runner put in a great deal of time into planning each course route, as well as the overworld course order. The practice shows in the consistent lap times, nearly all falling within a second of the others, though you'll notice how much a fall or boulder can steal from your time. No cheating apparent from what could be seen in the gameplay.

Video quality is solid, no stutters or anything out of the ordinary. For audio, the game cuts the audio volume down drastically during character cutscenes to help the player hear its superb voice acting (Pinstripe 55:01-55:23). The audio did cut out for a second during the Pinstripe race at 56:52, but when watching again it did not, might have just been vlc. Video was seamless both times.

Overall it's a fun watch, though the AI can't even hope to compete. It's amusing watching them lag behind and sometimes even get lapped. I enjoyed Sewer Speedway the most, wallslide boosting as well as nailing the shortcut are awesome. The other skips are also great (Papu's Pyramid, Hot Air Skyway, Oxide Station), though as he stated in the comments, he really lucked out on the first Skyway skip with the game deciding he'd make it to the other side of the track.

Great run, vote for accept.

Quote:
First moment of control was at 00:59
Last moment of control was at 1:02:05
The length of the run is ~1:01:06

Crash Cove
Entering: flawless
Lap 1: Nailed shortcut, wow
Lap 2: Nailed shortcut, slightly faster than lap 1
Lap 3: Nailed shortcut, easy win

Roo's Tubes
Entering: perfect
Lap 1: Caught up by Cortex at the start, epic shortcut (I had never thought to go that sharp around the corner)
Lap 2: near perfect
Lap 3: Nearly lapped the racer in last place

Shut up Uka Uka, we already know all this...

Mystery Caves
Lap 1: Missed a bounce pad
Lap 2: Lost a bit more speed than should have on the 'shortcut'.  Missed another bounce pad
Lap 3: Looked like the best lap, but was slightly slower than Lap 2

Sewer Speedway
Lap 1: Coco got in the way.  Nailed the shortcut.
Lap 2: Nailed the shortcut again.
Lap 3: And again.  Lapped Cortex. and Crash.

Ripper Roo
Lap 1: perfect
Lap 2: better than perfect
Lap 3: looks like a TAS

Tiger Temple
Entering: slowed down slightly,

missed a boost
Lap 2: perfect
Lap 3: as mentioned, missed boosts at the end of the third lap

Coco Park
Lap 3: looks like a TAS

Papu's Pyramid
Lap 1: perfect, didn't know about that second shortcut
Lap 2: missed the turbo pad on the pyramid.  fell attempting the second shortcut
Lap 3: lapped two people, perfect

perfect is now on my clipboard

Dingo Canyon
Entering: ctrl-v
Lap 3: perfect

Papu Papu
Lap 1: hit the corner of the pyramid, then missilized Papu Papu

Blizzard Bluff
Entering: Did I hear a Zelda sound?

perfect
Lap 2: flat Dingodile is flat

Dragon Mines
Lap 1: a bit of a slow start, otherwise perfect
Lap 2: flat Dingodile is flat

Polar Pass (best track in the game)
Entering: the 180 turn may have been able to be done faster.
Lap 2: hit a wall

Tiny Arena
Lap 1: dodged missile, perfect

Komodo Joe
Lap 1: stupid fall

N. Gin Labs
Entering: missed a boost
Lap 1: The shortcut blew my mind. perfect
Lap 2: fell, got set back a lot

Cortex Castle
Entering: perfect, and original
Lap 1: perfect, with shortcut
Lap 2: hit a wall, twice
Lap 3: perfect, with shortcut

Hot Air Skyway
Lap 1: I have no idea what happened halfway through the lap...
Lap 2: So that's what was supposed to happen...perfect

Oxide Station
Lap 1: Crash got in the way slightly, everything else was perfect
Lap 2: perfect, but strangely fell to 3rd...

Pinstripe

Oxide: "What took you so long?"
Dingodile: ...

Nitrous Oxide himself...
Lap 1: Hit a Nitro, as mentioned

Credits: Look TASed.

No cheating detected.
A/V quality is up to standards
In response to the first verifier on the runner not being targeted, it's because he's so far ahead the only thing that can reliably hit him is the Warp Orb. That, and the CPUs are idiots.

ACCEPT!

Quote:
As a semi-hardcore CTR player, I was greatly looking forward to this run. I wasn't disappointed.

Crash Cove - Almost perfect [10/10]
Roo's Tubes - Once again almost perfect, Cortex slowed you down a bit at the start [10/10]
Mystery Caves - Few small mistakes like losing speed on the shortcut in lap two but overall still very good race [9.5/10]
Sewer Speedway - Mistake on the third lap, but otherwise great race [9/10]
Ripper Roo - Missed one turbo, otherwise perfect [9.5/10]

Tiger Temple - Missed some boosts at the end [9/10]
Coco Park - Close to perfect [10/10]
Papu's Pyramid - Missed a turbo second lap and failed the big shortcut once [8.5/10]
Dingo Canyon - Perfect [10/10]
Papu Papu - Just one mistake at the start, otherwise great [9.5/10]

Blizzard Bluff - Got hit by the boulder in the 2nd lap, missed a boost [8.5/10]
Dragon Mines - Got hit by the mine cart in the 2nd lap, and a bit sloppy at the end of that lap [8.5/10]
Polar Pass - First shortcut could have been taken a bit better. Messed up second lap at the start [9/10]
Tiny Arena - Hugged the wall too closely on some occasions, especially third lap and lost time [9/10]
Komodo Joe - Fell on the first lap and missed some boosts [8.5/10]

N. Gin Labs - Fell on the 2nd lap, otherwise great race [9/10]
Cortex Castle - Crashed into walls a few times [9.5/10]
Hot Air Skyway - Extremely lucky on the first lap. Didn't know that could happen [9.5/10]
Oxide Station - Pretty much perfect [10/10]
Pinstripe - Perfect [10/10]

N. Oxide - Only mistake was getting hit by a nitro [9/10]

ACCEPT!

Quote:
I as well was not disappointed by this run!

I thought I was good at CTR, however I'm sure the runner would tear me to pieces if I were to verse them. Overall the run was solid, but on certain races the runner had handling errors (i.e running into walls), bad luck by getting hit by a nitro or a boulder. Other things like falling off the track didn't help at all. I was greatly surprised on Hot Air Skyway when you missed the shortcut and got warped over anyway. I'll admit that there were a couple shortcuts that I've never used before, and now after watching this run I think "Why did I not realize that before? It seems so obvious."

As another verifier said, pretty much all the laps are within a second or two of each other and on the laps the runner screwed up, they followed up by nailing the next. The runner knew exactly what to do and when they made a mistake there didn't seem to be any panic, it just got better!

I also noticed the audio problem at 55:00 where Pinstripe was talking, it wasn't huge but it was there.

Audio: Good
Video: Good
Cheating: No

Accept

Quote:
I am late to the party and pretty much everything has been said already. I am certainly surprised by how solid this run is; most laps are close to each other in time, and the runner nailed several hard shortcuts (hard for an average Crash Team Racing player like me. I suppose that, after playing the game so much, they are cake for the runner) track after track.

The runner clearly knows what he is doing, and he didn't seem to get nervous when he screwed up.

I would have liked reading a more detailed version of the comments to know more about the process of this run's creation and the total time invested. Oh well.

The audio and video quality are good, and I didn't spot any cheating.

Verdict: Impressive run. Kudos to the runner! This is an easy accept.

Decision: Accept

Reason: Solid maneuvering and hits most of the tough shortcuts.
Thread title:  
superspeed- aronomous
Thank you very much to all of the verifiers for the very detailed and helpful criticism. I'm glad that you all enjoyed the run.
I do apologize for such vague comments. I'll keep that in mind for my coming speedruns...
B+Left, Left, Up+B, ★
I loved playing this game as a kid. It's safe bet to say I'll be watching this run when it is published. Great job, Capt Davis! thumbsup
Hey, guys! Where is this run?
The Speedrunning Teacher
It'll get posted eventually. Some runs are ready to be put up on the front page faster than others. Plus there is a nice backlog of games that are also waiting to be posted on the front page, so it may take some time.
This is my avatar
Finally posted. Watching it at the moment and it's really impressive. Even the bosses can't compete with his pure skill and mastering of the powerslides!
I did about 58 minutes (don't know when to start counting) and 55 minutes seems to be feasible, but I only tried it once. I have it on video, but there is a video bug near the end... gonna post it to youtube though (my channel is crashteamalphing)
This is my avatar
The timer starts when you start off the kart (just after the Uka/Aku first speech), and ends when you cross the finish line at the Oxide race.
Part 1 :
Part 2 :
Part 3 :
Part 4 :
Part 5 :

The actual time is 57:55 +/- 1 second.
Edit history:
MAS8705: 2011-09-16 04:18:49 pm
SDA Apprentice -- (3-1)
Before I respond to crashteamalphaing, I want to say the runner did a great job with this run, and I enjoyed it...

Anyway, I have to say Mr. Crashteamalphaing, that was an impressive run, not to mention that you can see clear improvements over the current run (the race against oxide where you saw the runner get hit a few times before he overtook him and the Hot Air Skyway where you were able to actually able to stay on track after the shortcut...)  Chances are if you submit the original footage for verification, this actually could be accepted...

However, I have two questions I wanted to asked really fast, you said there was a "Video Bug" near the end, and I didn't really see one... can you point out where that was?  Chances are it could be overlooked as "no problem" but I want to be sure...  2nd, I noticed the speedometer and to be honest, I don't recall that in the game...  Granted I haven't played Crash team racing for sometime, but that is how it is suppose to look right?  Other than that, if you want to submit your run, go for it...

Edit: ok I saw what happened...  I must have blinked or looked away without noticing it (and fastforward past it by mistake looking for it...)  That can complicate a few things for sure, granted though it seems to be a second or two where the video is trying to catch up and blanked out... You might want to check with one of the higher ups on that one if that is going to be a problem, and if it is, then you can try again and see if you can match or even better your time of ~57:55...
The video bug is at 8:17 in Part 5, it's really big. Maybe there are others, I haven't checked thoroughly. The problem for me is that I have to lower the video quality to avoid these bugs, and even at a low quality like here, they still occur.

About the speedometer, it is displayed by pressing triangle when in a race. Once you reach a certain level, your opponents are so far behind, that you don't need to know where they are on the circuit xD
SDA Apprentice -- (3-1)
Well runner... I have to say that it is because of your run being added onto the site, I started to get... curious...

For some reason, I wanted to play crash racing, even though I never owned a PS1... because of that tiny technicality, I went with the next best thing and found Crash Tag Team Racing...  I hope you're happy, I went ahead to revive the five year old topic and I might actually begin attempts to SS it now!

http://forum.speeddemosarchive.com/post/crash_tag_team_racing_any.html#crash_tag_team_racing_any_19-

coming soon... hopefully...

Now that I said that, can someone else watch Mr. Crashteamalphing's video?  If that video bug is going to be a problem, it would be better if he knows sooner than later...
Obscure games ftw
It lasted less than a second, I don't think it would be enough to warrant rejection as the rest of the video is fine, but someone who's been around longer than I have should probably give a second opinion.
Waiting hurts my soul...
I think it could pose a problem, being a full black screen, although the audio doesn't seem to cut out, so maybe not.
Don't worry I can very easily make another one, I'm just too busy atm but I'll eventually do it.