List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
1-Up!
Game Page: http://speeddemosarchive.com/CrashBandicoot2.html

SS Any% 'major skips' run

Verifier Responses

Quote:
Audio/video: looks good, runs smoothly.  At 12:11 there's a slight freeze during the N. Gin fight but that could be a hardware thing. No cheating detected.

Time: from selecting NEW GAME to the last hit on Cortex - 14:14
from first moment of control to last hit - 14:00

Level-by-level comments
SNOW GO UP TO BOX GLITCH
First of all I want to comment on the amazing control this runner has over his slide-spin.  For those who don't know the trick, you basically slide in one direction, let go of the slide and direction button in the middle of the animation, and hit square without pressing the D-pad.  The runner has had to line up everything and knows this level really well.

There were a few iffy spots, such as stopping at the penguin just before collecting the crystal, but overall this guy knows his Snow Go, and it was very satisfying to watch.

BOX GLITCH
The Box Glitch went smoothly.  While it was definitely boring to watch, I honestly cannot blame the runner for this because the glitch requires some very specific movements and must have been nerve-wracking.  And it was totally worth it seeing Crash's expression as he pulled out 25 crystals out of his ass.  Although, towards the end of the crystal-ass-pulling-out I noticed that the runner's Aku Aku mask disappeared.  I don't think it's a sign of cheating, I've just never seen that before.

RIPPER ROO
There's not many places to make genuine mistakes in these boss fights, so entertainment is critical here.  Thankfully the runner had the sense to dick around a lot and generally make a fool of Ripper Roo, not that he needs the help.  Bonus points for landing inside Ripper Roo on the final hit and actually having Crash do his dance facing the right way around.

KOMODO BROTHERS
Definitely the weakest part of the run in my opinion.  The runner seemed afraid to get in close and risky after the box glitch went perfectly, and while I can understand his/her hesitancy, it still looks ugly.  Also there's less entertainment here than in the Ripper Roo fight.

TINY TIGER
Went from bad to brilliant in the span of about five seconds.  I can definitely see why the runner didn't reset here after the brilliant luck on the third cycle.  Nicely done, and great clutch recovery after Tiny died Tongue

N GIN
Aside from the freeze I mentioned earlier this is a pretty good fight.  That was a nice two-cycle on the final form.  He didn't get both arms to electrify at the same time during the first phase, but as far as I know that is almost a TAS-only trick.

CORTEX
Easy fight done very well.

DECISION: Accept, but if this gets a YouTube mirror I suggest there should be an annotation that allows the viewer to skip the repetitive box glitch.  Entertainment is such a crucial factor in a run like this, and for the most part everything that wasn't the box glitch was pleasant to watch.  The runner clearly knows what s/he's doing, aside from some bad luck and a bit of inconsistency on the boss fights.  I suggest the runner try for a 100% run next time, or include a no-large-skip any% category.  Your skill is too good to waste on a category like this.

Quote:
From the time he was able to skip the cutscene to the final hit, I timed it at about 14:10. Skipping cutscenes means having control, right? Anyway, no signs of cheating or A/V problems, although the mask flashed for a little bit before disappearing completely while pulling out the crystals. Can't say if that is credited to suddenly having 26 crystals in a single level. It can be tightened up a very little bit by making sure to get the required 25 crystals instead of 26, but I suppose that's only a few seconds. Boss battles were very good, but Tiny's fight was a stroke of bad luck. A few moments could have been saved there, too.

Overall, it's an ACCEPT.

Quote:
A/V is goot & cheating, there is noot.

In response to a previous verifier, I've done this glitch and there is a pattern for getting crystals from this, but it's a complex one that you wouldn't be able to easily figure out without looking at the game's code, so there's no great way for knowing how many crystals you have. It's also a painfully mind numbing glitch to pull off with enough crystals, and I never managed to actually get 25 crystals without screwing up (not that I really tried hard). The boss fights weren't the greatest, but they were entertaining as always, thanks to their unbelievable lack of difficulty.

This run doesn't really require all that much work, but it does take quite a while to get about the right amount of crystals without messing up, so I don't really care that much that 26 crystals were collected, or that the boss fights were sub-optimal. It's a very dumb run, but I'm gonna accept it anyways because it's not close to the dumbest run on the site and it is kind of hard to get all those crystals without making a mistake.

Rabid, please do a legitimate run now; destroy this game and get a stonking great Crash 2 record on this site. You're the Crash master and we both know that you can do it.

Decision: Accept

Quote:
It is quite good, I can only see how a few Slidespins more at certain spots could save time, but overall it didn't make a big difference and more than a few seconds wouldn't be able to be shoveled off. The double hit on N. Gin isn't actually too hard but yeah, you do know that anyway, rabido.
Going for an Accept. There really isn't too much else to say.

Decision: Accept

Congratulations to Matthew 'ElectronAvenue!'
Thread title:  
SolarBowler
Thanks to the verifiers, now to answer some things:

N. Gin Freezes - My game has always done this, infact ISO's I used on ePSXe did it as well, it also happens in levels when I go through areas too fast.

Komodo Bros. Slopiness - These guys are bitches, they can go wrong many ways including a glitch where the final hit can take over a minute.

Flashing Mask - Because I got the crystals this way it corrupts the game, check out MrBean35000vr's video about getting 200% with the glitch, more powerful corruption occurs in it.

As for further things in this game: Any% Legit and 100% are my next goals and I am already working on them with PB's of 48:04 on Any% and 1:31:XX with some failage on 100%. Hope fans of this game on this site stay tuned for those. You can check me out at http://www.twitch.tv/solarbowler & http://www.youtube.com/user/FahrenheitFrenzy

Also, I timed from that one frame when I first enter the warp room where crash turns to his left (our right) you actually have control over that and I count it as the first movement in the game, so yeah.
In order to get 3 crystals for each wave with the glitch, you must spin after the first jump of the wave (from the ground to the first seal). It can save around 40s in your run.