Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
1-Up!
Game Page: Doesn't exist yet

Runs as Yagyu/Plissken/BR-W9

Verifier Responses

Quote:
Run with Tsugu-Min (BR-W9)
Difficulty: Normal (even though the runner doesn't show this, it can be determined due to the # of enemies being too few for hard, yet the final boss is there so it's not easy.)

Stage 1: Overall, very good.  Hit the corner jump after the homing missiles perfectly.  Good strat on the end of hall boss (worm face?) by aiming from the corner.  I've tried on the sides and from the bottom, they don't work.  Only thing I felt that is a mistake is not shooting towards the corner in the freefall section right away - there's a very small window of extra hits that could have been done, but they delayed just a smidge.

Stage 2: When the guy bursts out of the high door, it's possible to kill it without stopping by jumping before you get to them and shoot up.  I've got a video clip of it that I can provide to show how to do this.  For the turret walls, if you jump sooner, you get onto the first level, then another jump to the top.  It should be faster then the wait time you did.  This applies to both walls.  Missile section was pretty sloppy.

Video: http://www.mediafire.com/?06jebri43wrnyzx (Pardon the quality and audio desync.  I didn't care.  I just wanted to provide a quick sample in regards to the turrets and the high enemy kill.)

Stage 3: Since this level is mainly an autoscroll, it pretty well comes down to how fast you beat the mini-boss and boss.  Overall, both went well.  The only flaw I saw is that on the boss' 2nd form, during the first part, instead of firing the laser from all the way to the left, get up close and personal!  Everything else was at the proper spot and such.

Stage 4: The first half is autoscroll, but when you change from one floating platform to the other, you can get a small speed up.  The runner takes care not to jump too early (thus causing to hit the bottom of the screen and die) but not too late either to take advantage of this.  The timing is a lot later then you expect.  Mini-boss taken out nicely.  The second section could have been better.  There's a few slips leading to some small pauses and small double-backs.  As for the boss, I think you can keep firing down a little later then that to get a few more shots off.  I swear you can beat her in 2 rounds, but I'll have to double check that.

Stage 5: Most of the first part of the stage went well, though a couple of minor slipups.  As for the Red Falcon Heart, I believe you can get one step closer and not have to worry about the egg spawn above you and still be ok for spread shots.  The second part of the stage was ok, though the monster pyramid could be better handled by taking out the top ones and then jumping over sooner.  As for the stage boss, since you still have the monsters around, use them to be able to stand closer to the face at the beginning.  Less Distance = More Damage in Less Time.  Also, jump to attack more often for the same reason.

Final Boss: Boss was taken out damn quick.  Though I see in the Plisskin vid that you used laser for the time when you're tilted 90degrees Clockwise and not have to jump around.  Can this be used for Tsugu-Min as well?  Thus pretty much ditching the need for Homing?

Overall well done.  Not perfect, but then again, Contra games (even this one, which is easier then others) aren't forgiving at all.  Wish you did some post-boss "deaths" though.  Those are funny to watch.
Accepting.

-------
Run with Plissken
Difficulty: Normal (even though the runner doesn't show this, it can be determined due to the # of enemies being too few for hard, yet the final boss is there so it's not easy.)

Stage 1: Overall, very good.  Hit the corner jump after the homing missiles about as good as you can do with Plissken's speed.  Good strat on the end of hall boss (worm face?) by aiming from the corner.  I've tried on the sides and from the bottom, they don't work.  Might have saved a small fraction of a second if you're hitting the boss at point blank when it comes from the left.

Stage 2: Pretty much everything I said for the Tsugu-Min run of this stage applies, with the exception of the missile section, which was very well done.  Jumping to kill the guy out of the high door works just fine with Plissken as it does with Tsugu-Min.

Stage 3: My only real complain is...you missed a robotic llama.  And maybe again about shooting the 2nd phase of the boss at close range at the beginning.

Stage 4: Very well done.  The transition on the floating platforms was nice and the 2nd half of the stage was much cleaner then Tsugu-Min's performance.  The boss was about the same - I think you can keep firing a little longer at it.  Let's attack aggressively!!

Stage 5: The stage itself was fine.  The Red Falcon Heart section from Tsugu-Min's should apply pretty much the same here.  Same thing with the stampede and boss.

Final Boss: Completely obliterated.  That looked EASY.

Overall, VERY well done.  Better then Tsugu-Min's run.  While can be beaten by a few seconds, it's still very impressive.  Wish you did some post-boss "deaths" though.  Those are funny to watch.  Accepting as a separate category.

-------
Run with Bill/Yagyu (These two will be the same category, since they're identical in performance)

Stage 1: Hit the corner jump perfectly.  I did see a small pause in the gauntlet section near the end of the first section, but nothing major.  Boss taken out nicely.

Stage 2: Pretty much a carbon copy of Plissken.  Same issue with the high jump guy and turrets.  Missiles could be a bit faster, but was still faster then Tsugu-Min.  Boss taken out nicely.

Stage 3: Yay!  All the robotic llamas died this time.  Only real thing I noticed was that the first phases of the boss died slower.  I'm not sure why though, but it did.  2nd phase notes still apply.

Stage 4: Both parts of the level were the cleanest of the 3.  Notes on the boss still apply.

Stage 5: Stage well handled.  Same issue with the Red Falcon Heart.  Stampede well done, even the pyramid was better then the other two (still not quite perfect, but close).  Boss fight was very well done too, by taking advantage of passing enemies for most of the fight.

Final Boss: Destroyed quickly.  The floor on the left side section didn't seem as nice as Plissken's, since you generally ran instead of lasering.  Not possible with Bill/Yagyu?

Some aspects of this run were much better then the other two.  Still wish you went with Bill instead of Yagyu aka the Lance wanna-be.  Bill is cooler.  Also wish you did some post-boss "deaths" though.  Those are funny to watch.  Accepting none the less as a separate category from Tsugu-Min & Plissken.

-------
Notes for timing: While you can shoot from when you explode though the wall, you don't gain full left/right control until you hit the ground (and since there's nothing for you to kill/kill you until after that point, timing should start from when you hit the ground).  Timing should end after the final boss starts to explode, since you can't die once that happens.  Well, you can "die" but it doesn't count against your life count.

Quote:
Looks good. Sounds good. Gameplay's pretty consistent across all three runs. The runner knows what he's doing. Very few differences between the runs.

The Brownie run is the "worst" because it has the biggest mistakes. The missiles in Stage 2, doublebacking in Stages 4 and 5, and the slowest final boss fight of the three. It looks like it took 13:33 if we're going according to the previous verifier's timing notes, which makes it the slowest overall as well.

Had to doubleback a bit in Stage 4 with Plissken as well. But that's about it in that run mistake wise. It's super clean, and naturally the quickest of the three. I see 13:03.

In the Yagyu run, he messed up the jump after the second Wall miniboss in Stage 2. And the Stage 3 boss' first form seemed to take an unusually long time to explode. But he beat the Stage 5 boss quicker in this run than the other two. He kills the final boss just as quick as in Plissken, but he did barely any damage to him on the second round. So I'm thinking it could've been a couple seconds quicker. The time appears to be 13:27.

Accept the Plissken and Yagyu runs for sure. I'm a little unsure about Brownie though. Perhaps she's not different enough from Bill and Yagyu to warrant a separate category?

Quote:
I'm actually out on vacation too. I'd go more into detail, but since I don't have too much time, I'll be kinda brief.

Audio/Video looks fine; no cheating in any of the runs.

I think the Plissken and Yagyu runs are well done. There are some mistakes, but none that keep either of these from being rejected. The only thing is, while Plissken is clearly faster than the other characters, I could never tell if Brownie was slower or not when I played this game. I'm not too sure on whether or not she deserves her own category since aside from the smaller hitbox and a shorter shooting height, she seemed pretty identical to me. However, if Brownie is considered a separate category, I would give it an accept too, but with a reccomendation to keep trying. Don't get me wrong, that run is also very impressive, but it isn't as impressive as the other 2. The missiles in stage 2 were a little cringeworthy, plus he stops a couple of times in the later levels. At 12:54 on the video, I felt he should've shot lasers instead of spread so he was hitting the face while the worm enemy was in the way. Last boss was still fast looking though, just had some bad luck.

Bottom line, accept on all 3 as long as Brownie is considered a category. If not, accept on Plissken and Yagyu.

Quote:
BR-W9:

No cheating, audio and visual are acceptable.

There is a corner boost he missed (in every run) at 00:42. It's doable with all characters, saves about half a second.

I wonder if it's possible to handle the minibosses faster by shooting laser and possible moving the character forward earlier to save the walking time after finishing bosses. It's still ok how the runner handled them.

In stage 2 miniboss he let quite a few missiles escape the screen which makes him need an extra wave of missiles to clear the boss. Loses time, looks kinda sloppy. The rest of the stage was ok.

I like how he handled the stage 3 miniboss. The stage boss was handled nicely too. The stage itself is just an auto-scroller so can't really comment on that.

I'd say Stage 4b was just a bit sloppy, not too bad though, but could be a bit better.

Stage 5 miniboss could be faster by using more laser, dunno if it saves a whole lot though.

I'm not sure why he decided to pick homing missiles for the last boss, while not doing so in Yagyu nor Plissken runs. I think the bossfight itself could've been a little more optimised, but it was kinda solid anyway.

Plissken and Yagyu runs after seeing BR-W9 run didn't differ too much to need an explained commentation in my opinion. No major mistakes, it's on normal difficulty anyway so no fancy uh-almost-died-action, can't do tricks BR-W9 couldn't do, so I'll just say they were just as good if not better than the BR-W9 run. Yagyu seemed like the most polished one to me, although last boss wasn't too shabby.

Accept, accept, and accept. While the characters aren't too different from each other, I do believe all of them deserve a separate category (obviously Yagyu and Bill sharing one).

Decision: Accept

Reason: All three runs are well executed, and there's not enough reason to warrant not having separate categories for all three characters.

Congratulations to Travis "solairflaire" Hofman!
Thread title:  
SDA Apprentice -- (3-1)
For a moment, I thought we were getting close to getting all the Contra games on SDA, but I found out we are still far from finished...

Operation C
Contra Force
Contra: Legacy of War
C: The Contra Adventure
Neo Contra
Contra 4

Outside of these games, we have about half the games thus far, including the two recent verification.  Outside of that, congrats to the runner on completely 3 successful runs...
Yes
You forgot Contra Advance: The Alien Wars Ex

Congrats to solairflaire.  I never had the patience for Contra ReBirth so hats off to you.
My feelings on The Demon Rush
You can omit 2-4 on your list MAS8705, those aren't Contra games. Tongue
SDA Apprentice -- (3-1)
fair enough Mike... regardless, we are slowly getting to the point where SDA could of feature every single contra game, and I just love it when the site completes an entire game series.. Smiley
Willing to teach you the impossible
Thanks for the heads up MAS... I think i will look into this issue that SDA has atm
Gonna Stab a Doc......
Quote from MAS8705:
fair enough Mike... regardless, we are slowly getting to the point where SDA could of feature every single contra game, and I just love it when the site completes an entire game series.. Smiley

That just sounds amazing
Edit history:
djcj: 2011-09-26 08:59:51 am
djcj: 2011-09-26 08:59:41 am
Quote from mikwuyma:
You can omit 2-4 on your list MAS8705, those aren't Contra games. Tongue

Bad games are games too Wink
Edit history:
Mr. K: 2012-04-03 09:28:07 am
Yes
I just watched the Plissken run.  Great stuff.  You really have the weapon switching optimized and there was a lot of point blanking, solairflaire.  You really abused screen positioning on stage 2 and I was impressed by how fast you made it through stage 5.  All in all a fantastic run.  Great work!