--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Game Page: http://speeddemosarchive.com/Contra3.html

Contra III: The Alien Wars (ntscus) (snes) [Low %] [Single Segment] [Easy]

Quote from zallard1:
I did some of these verifications before in the previous Contra 3 threads, so I'll copy over the old ones (easy any% and low% /w deaths) and verify the new run (easy any% co-op).

1p easy any%: Not really much to be said here. Really solid run overall without any big hiccups. The only ones I saw were small & pretty insignificant compared to all the stuff that was good. Going all in on the stage 4 boss is a nice touch considering this run exploits a respawn after a death in stage 5 to skip a bit of traveling. Accept.

---

easy low% with deaths. The deaths are used primarily for the extra bombs since the game gives 1 bomb upon respawn. The run is pretty much the same except for the deaths, so I'll just mention those in my breakdown.

Stage 1: Died once at the turtle to use 2 bombs against him.

Stage 2: Died once after the final pod died, losing no time and gaining a bomb to use on the spider.

Stage 3: Died once the screen stopped scrolling to restock on the bomb to guarantee a fast 1 cycle on the spinning boss. Unsure if runner didn't die as the crusher boss was climbing up the tower because of lag or not, but if that's not the case then that could get him a bomb that might be useful on the crusher boss. Also wasn't sure about not using the bomb on the stage 3 boss when he died on him.

Stage 4: Died on the big laser cannon for a bomb on the jumping miniboss. Also died to get a bomb for the stage 4 boss (which is the same place the deathless run uses one).

Stage 5: Died on the edge to gain a bomb and take advantage of the respawn thing that easy any% does. Uses the bomb on the boss which is probably for the best.

Stage 6: So it looks like you can skip the burrowing phase on the Super C boss in easy low%, but I'm not sure on the difficulty/consistency of it. Runner dies during the laser shot which wastes no time. Dies on the gargoyle as it retreats & gains another bomb for the brain.

Overall the execution was fine. I'm not sure on the routing things that I pointed out, but regardless it is an enormous improvement to the current SDA run, so it's a pretty safe accept.

---

easy any% co-op: It'd probably just be easier mentioning things that aren't optimal in this run, because there aren't many instances at all. First off, dat stage 1 bomb for the fireballs. The lag frames were sad to be left behind there, but thankfully it isn't very many frames lost. The selection for player 2 on stage 2 could've been done in 2 motions, but it took him 6. Now to understand, the placement of the initial cursor is random, so you have to react to where it was placed and the route to get it to where you want. Since this is a 2p run, I'd imagine this being super confusing once the screen reveals the positions of both cursors at the same time, so it's a more than reasonable mistake to make. I think that's it. Everything else gets destroyed immediately. It's pretty funny to see how insanely quick these kills are if you're at all familiar with the game. Also that music break on the stage 6 Gargoyle is so good. Accept.

Decision: Accept

Congratulations to Jeremy 'DK28' Doll!
Thread title:  
Run Information

Contra III: The Alien Wars (ntscus) (snes) [Low %] [Single Segment] [Easy]

Verification Files

http://v.speeddemosarchive.com/Contra3-20150630/

Please refer to the Verification Guidelines before posting.

Please post your opinions about the run and be certain to conclude your post with a verdict (Accept/Reject). This is not a contest where the majority wins - I will judge each verification on its content. Please keep your verification brief unless you have a good reason otherwise.
This submission is moved from private verification due to untimely replies. One reply was had:

Quote from zallard1:
I did some of these verifications before in the previous Contra 3 threads, so I'll copy over the old ones (easy any% and low% /w deaths) and verify the new run (easy any% co-op).

1p easy any%: Not really much to be said here. Really solid run overall without any big hiccups. The only ones I saw were small & pretty insignificant compared to all the stuff that was good. Going all in on the stage 4 boss is a nice touch considering this run exploits a respawn after a death in stage 5 to skip a bit of traveling. Accept.

---

easy low% with deaths. The deaths are used primarily for the extra bombs since the game gives 1 bomb upon respawn. The run is pretty much the same except for the deaths, so I'll just mention those in my breakdown.

Stage 1: Died once at the turtle to use 2 bombs against him.

Stage 2: Died once after the final pod died, losing no time and gaining a bomb to use on the spider.

Stage 3: Died once the screen stopped scrolling to restock on the bomb to guarantee a fast 1 cycle on the spinning boss. Unsure if runner didn't die as the crusher boss was climbing up the tower because of lag or not, but if that's not the case then that could get him a bomb that might be useful on the crusher boss. Also wasn't sure about not using the bomb on the stage 3 boss when he died on him.

Stage 4: Died on the big laser cannon for a bomb on the jumping miniboss. Also died to get a bomb for the stage 4 boss (which is the same place the deathless run uses one).

Stage 5: Died on the edge to gain a bomb and take advantage of the respawn thing that easy any% does. Uses the bomb on the boss which is probably for the best.

Stage 6: So it looks like you can skip the burrowing phase on the Super C boss in easy low%, but I'm not sure on the difficulty/consistency of it. Runner dies during the laser shot which wastes no time. Dies on the gargoyle as it retreats & gains another bomb for the brain.

Overall the execution was fine. I'm not sure on the routing things that I pointed out, but regardless it is an enormous improvement to the current SDA run, so it's a pretty safe accept.

---

easy any% co-op: It'd probably just be easier mentioning things that aren't optimal in this run, because there aren't many instances at all. First off, dat stage 1 bomb for the fireballs. The lag frames were sad to be left behind there, but thankfully it isn't very many frames lost. The selection for player 2 on stage 2 could've been done in 2 motions, but it took him 6. Now to understand, the placement of the initial cursor is random, so you have to react to where it was placed and the route to get it to where you want. Since this is a 2p run, I'd imagine this being super confusing once the screen reveals the positions of both cursors at the same time, so it's a more than reasonable mistake to make. I think that's it. Everything else gets destroyed immediately. It's pretty funny to see how insanely quick these kills are if you're at all familiar with the game. Also that music break on the stage 6 Gargoyle is so good. Accept.
"Contra3_easy_1158" is the only one in the files list I haven't accepted already, so about that one...

A/V good, no cheating

It's another damn good Contra 3 coop run from the Contra Conference.  The live audio commentary mentions that a two second slower time would have been submittable, and I agree.  The ugliest mistake in this run is selecting the spawn points in level 2, which costs maybe a second, and I for one am willing to forgive that.  Accept
I realized all of the runs had been put in the same folder, which made this somewhat confusing. AlecK47 is right though, it's only "Contra3_easy_1158" this thread is about.

I'm kind of running out of words of praise for these Contra runs, so I'll keep this one short. This run is very good.

Accept
Decision posted.