1 page
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
1-Up!
Game Page: http://speeddemosarchive.com/Contra3.html

According to Mike Uyama, "This is a no items improvement on some stupid difficulty I've never heard of."

Verifier Responses

Quote:
This run is a lot more polished than the last one.  It may actually be faster than the death abuse no items run.  If it is, should we just drop it as a category since death abusing is lying somewhere between no deaths and death warping?  I'm too lazy to time these runs, perhaps someone else could take a look?

So about that run...

Stage 1
It's faster to not use the tank on easy.  This isn't the case for a hard low % run.
Obtained satisfaction on the napalm section so I'm pleased.  Watch out for lag on the first boss.

Stage 2
I saw some significant improvements on stage 2, however you don't have to pause at all on the bunkers, I didn't have any trouble storming right past them on easy and the shots are too slow to pause anyway.  You can double tap to spin around and hit them if you don't get them on your first pass and it would still be faster, but again, I had no problems destroying any of the bunkers without slowing down.

Boss fight - work on your tango skills, you lose a few seconds destroying the spiked balls because you don't stay centered on the red core.  It does not randomly spin back at you.  There is an invisible line, that's just to the right of the core as you spin around.  As long as you stay just to the left of the core and shoot with your right arm it will not spin back on you.

Stage 3
Is pretty tight.  I know the drilling mini boss has a different pattern on easy which you could probably manipulate more, but I'm decently satisfied with the rest.  You have an extra pause after killing the UFO
A one round kill on this boss is possible without a bomb.  For the boss fight, watch this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HL7R3xePSW0

Stage 4
I don't have much of a complaint on the mid bosses.  I was pleased to see that you were a lot more aggressive with the boss.  It really payed off.

Stage 5
You had a rough spawn toward the end, but this stage is a drastic improvement as is the boss fight.  The boss fight can still be improved.  You use the invincibility frames well.  If you have very tight timing you can actually circle around this boss without missing any shots and this way the reaching arm won't soak up any of the damage.

Stage 6
You're not in a great deal of danger on the approach, you don't need to turn back on the way to the heart.  Yeah, I know you're thinking random spawns when jumping down, but with some decent timing, you can overcome most of the randomness stage 6 can throw at you.  The Super C boss fight went well.  The Gargoyle fight can actually go better with proper positioning.  You take a bit too much time on orb selection, particularly since there are only 4 orbs to pick, but it's alright I suppose.

This run is a lot tighter than the old one so go ahead and accept it.  The runner didn't know about the stage 3 one cycle, kill, but it's a crazy strat that I've never really had the opportunity to publicize and the run has a much more polished feel.  There aren't any major slip ups, just a few timesavers that aren't obvious to most viewers.

Quote:
Glad to see there's action on the Contra III scene, however small it may be.
I'm just wondering, what is this "easy" difficulty? My cart only has hard :S

No complaints about audio or video quality.

Stage 1
I'm sad the car had to die this time, but that's what it gets for being in the way I guess.
Fearless first tower, volcano and moving under the fireball. Nice.
A bit of lag on the boss, but that's hard to avoid.

Stage 2
There's no reason to stop when killing the turrets. Adjusting one's position with L and R makes it possible to kill them when just walking by.
Boss can be done without having to destroy the feet things. If you're a bit to either side (but not too far) instead of centered, the boss will not change direction.

Stage 3
Spinning miniboss looks a bit better than in your old run.
Wall miniboss can probably be done about 5 seconds faster with proper manipulation. I haven't tried this on easy though.
Robot twins are good, but can be done a couple of seconds faster. Though that depends a lot on how the dismembered robots jump around.
Big Daddy Robot can probably be done in one round using a strategy Mr. K came up with that involves jumping over the fire breath. This would save roughly 10 seconds.

Stage 4
Tank looked good. Jumping soldiers can be done a couple of seconds faster in a best case scenario. It's a shame the jetpack soldier doesn't give you an optimal pattern, but it's still faster than in your old run.
The boss was a major improvement, good stuff!

Stage 5
It's nice to see some of my new strats used here (or did you find them by yourself?), such as the improved ledge skip and faster boss strat using the invincibility frames.
The boss fight was tight. The only improvement I could see was moving a bit to the side when the second worm spawns, to avoid having it block some of the shots.

Stage 6
You don't have to turn back and kill the last aliens before the heart. You can kill the one closest to you while in the air and the second one by jumping and firing downwards.
Great crawler fight.
The gargoyle can be done a couple of seconds faster with the positioning Mr. K uses in his hard low% attempts. Maybe it's possible to kill it in one less cycle?
You could save a few seconds by choosing orbs faster on the brain fight. Otherwise your performance on the boss is great.

Summary
More aggressive play and some new strats make for a much better run than the one currently on the site. The improvement is about 40 seconds.
There are no obvious mistakes, but there's still room for some improvement.

Accept!

Quote:
Contra 3 Verification respond
Easy mode
Deathless
Improvement.
No cheats, no audio troubles. Quality was ok for me.

This difficult setting is borring to speedrun. But yeah this run is tight. I think some bosses could be better especially wall boss level 3 & main boss level 4.  Other bosses seems went well.

I think level 3 main boss can´t be done one round on console with that way. Do you runner are trying used your only power bomb here?  You was quite close make one round kill without power bombs used. Its might be possible if you used your only power bomb here. Im not know, but its just good idea to try it. Its might save several seconds if you can kill boss before time bombs coming. Though you will lost time fight with silver eagle level 6.
Anyway without better plans or boss luck this run can,t be much better. Estimate time was 15:30. Its mean major improvement over previous run.

ACCEPT.

Quote:
I was always wondering if it was possible to jump over the flame like that, I just never thought about it until today.

Easy mode Contra 3 is like a segway, no effort and irrelevant.

This is an improvement, and I accept it.

That's about the highest praise I can give this run.

Decision: Accept

Reason: Easy- schmeasy

Congratulations to Jeremy 'DK28' Doll!
Thread title:  
Willing to teach you the impossible
Nice DK, do you have plans for making it better?
that Metroidvania guy
even if he does, he has mr. k doing it on the game's actual difficulty to compete with for views so.... >.>
General Kong - Bullets and Bananas
@ Heidrage:  At the moment I'm working on another game, but with some of the suggestions here, I might.

@ romscout:  I'm just a glutton for punishment and teasing, I'm really expecting some good ribbing IRL at the marathon.  Wink

Thank you to the verifiers, there should be one more run verification coming.  I'll look forward to a lot more teasing then.  Tongue
Of course, even on easy, it's still a pain in the ass to do this as my expectations are pretty high since it's on easy.