1-Up!
Game Page: http://speeddemosarchive.com/Contra3.html

Hard difficulty low% run

Verifier Responses

Quote:
Evening Flip,
  Contra III no items for realz.

Audio/Visual is fine.
Cheating?  I see none worth getting upset over...

Level the first:  I really don't see how this could be faster.  I would find it reasonable if the turtle did spray his flare, but no head thrust is bonus.  And I think it's actually one of the coolest fights.

Level the 2:  Great movement, the runners precision in the top down levels is scary.  The spider gets away from him for a few seconds, but the runner punished himself enough over it...

Third level:  Possibly the most annoying boss in the game against the wall.  Handled well though.  The level boss is handled though, hard.  Battletoads hard.

Forth Fourth level:  Auto scrolling on a whole new level.  Both mid bosses are wrecked.  Now this boss fight is so sexy I can't stand it.  You'd be hard pressed to watch this boss fight and not be aroused.  That's why Mr. K gets all the ladies, and men, and some animals, if that's your thing...

Level 5th:  More top down leetness, nuff said.

Grand Finale:  Words can't describe this level.  It must be seen with your own eyes.

I ACCEPT the hell out of this run.  Anybody who would reject this run should be drug into the street and shot.

Quote:
One question Is this same run as i watch last time?
http://forum.speeddemosarchive.com/post/contra_iii_151.html

Btw: Here was my comment when i watch it:

"THIS RUN LOOK LIKE SO DAMN FUCKING GREAT.

Without doubt this will be accepted.  I´ll list this of best speedruns ever created. Couple year ago i just joking: Could low-% hard mode done without continue lost? what ever time its would be just super crazy.

This run was also damn fast and without deaths done. What ever you want make your run i really loved it.

But if you really try redo this, its might be just superb. Good luck."

Seriously im not know what else i can say with this. Low-% hard is most coolest category ever see. What ever time is great job and accept for me. Im not really care pick up single mistakes because this category is super hard to beat only and its nearly impossible perfected.

ACCEPT

Quote:
This is one of my favourite speedruns ever.

Having played Contra III quite a lot, I can tell the public that this is a very very hard run to complete. The runner also does very few mistakes. I know he'll never be satisfied until the stage 2 boss fight looks perfect though Smiley

Stage comments:

Stage 1:
Not much to say, looks real good.

Stage 2:
This one is a hassle in low%. There are many ways to have a run sabotaged by this stage. The runner does an awesome job with it, save for the boss. Now the boss fight isn't bad per se, but the runner usually does a lot better. And by a lot I mean it looks awesome.

Stage 3:
Great stuff all the way.

Stage 4:
Same here, looks beautiful. Props for utilizing the "don't die at random after the boss explodes"-strat.

Stage 5:
As with stage 2, this stage can ruin any run. In case you're wondering, when a hive closes you have to kill the spawn that came out of it before it opens again. The boss fight borders on perfect. Notice how few shots the runner misses when adjusting to hit the eye. This is extremely hard to do. This fight should give you an idea of how the stage 2 boss fight usually looks.

Stage 6:
Good thing the runner found out about the Glancing Shots. That's what enables him to kill the spawn on the first miniboss much faster. Without this knowledge, it takes ages to kill it.
Placement is essential when the screen starts scrolling after the miniboss. Stand in the wrong spot and you will not make it to the heart without dying. The runner has done a tremendous job of calculating of how to move to avoid dying.
Heart fight looks freakin' sweet.
If the crawler miniboss drops below a certain percentage of its HP, it will start to burrow which wastes a lot of time. The runner has calculated exactly how many shots are needed in each round to prevent this from happening, thus killing the miniboss as fast as possible.
Gargoyle fight is awesome, and so is the Queen fight.
The only notable mistakes in this run are that the runner picks the snake orb twice during the brain fight. The second one doesn't waste any time, but the first one does. Not sure how much though. I don't think this mistake warrants an extra round.

Is it just me, or does it sound like one channel in the audio is missing? Not left or right, but an instrument.

Decision: UBER ACCEPT.
Reason: Thoroughly optimized in both planning and execution. This run looks fanTAStic.

Quote:
RUN OF THE YEAR!

Accept.

Seriously, this is so hard to do that Mr. K deserves the Rambo Van Damme manliness award.

EDIT: The time I got was 22:47. Started on the frame the character starts to appear, and ended when the guy started moving to the left, because that's when control is lost.

Quote:
I honestly don't even know what to say.  Seriously, if it's good enough for Mr.K runner, none of us mere mortals have the right to reject it.  I've watched this run 3 times since I got a verification copy.  It's that good.

PJ ACCEPTS.

Great work, Mr.K runner!

Decision: Accept

Congratulations to Kyle 'Mr. K' Halversen!
Thread title:  
that Metroidvania guy
Mr. K is a beast. Glad we finally got a low% from him going up. How about we add a flame only category for him? Wink Those are fun.
Sandbagging
Good job Mr. K. Amazing run <3
I AM FUCKED ANGRY
This run is sick, awesome and beautiful. I can not describe my feelings but my brain was overburn after watch this run.

thanks for your work Kyle Halversen
Willing to teach you the impossible
Ugh... Another Contra Low% run I have to work on now... Lets see how long this one will take me. Super C took me 15 months. Contra is still in progress (worked on it for about 4 months total on and off).

Really though, this was a sweet run. I am impressed with the talent you have. Looking forward to shaking your hand, and breaking it
Edit history:
UraniumAnchor: 2011-12-07 04:39:55 pm
Not a walrus
Sorry Heidman, but your vibrating arm won't help you with this one.
Willing to teach you the impossible
I love this community so much
Is PJ
Mr. K = Contra 3.  Good luck beating him.  Tongue

After listening to the audio commentary, only one thing comes to mind: WHAT WAS HURBLAT GOING TO SAYYYY?!?!!
I AM FUCKED ANGRY
his own feeling can not understand this run !
personal feelings go down on him !
because the run is the best and he can not control this.
I AM FUCKED ANGRY
Kiss
Edit history:
Mr. K: 2011-12-07 06:49:59 pm
Yes
Thanks for all of the positive feedback.  Heidman, I look forward to meeting you at the marathon too.  I do plan on redoing this run to iron out some of the more obvious mistakes, but I've got a couple other projects.  I also wanted to give a special thanks to Hurblat for putting up with me during the audio commentary.  The commentary pretty much consisted of me complaining about why a low % run is painful.  Hurblat was nice and agreeable during the whole thing.  He was a good sport.  My only excuse for it is that the commentary was quasi-informative.
Everybody DANCE!
I watched this run, and my beard grew a foot longer.  This is the manliest thing ever made.
General Kong - Bullets and Bananas
You are the Man Mr K.  Nuff said.
sinister1
so pro u don't even know
Very nice run there Mr. K, I especially like the portion of the audio commentary about your existential crisis. Looking forward to seeing more from you in the future.
i think i already commented on this run in maybe the contra 3 thread but i'll reiterate that it's just beastly, congrats

also really enjoyed the commentary. however, i do have to correct one thing: seth's difficult w/ zips mm2 run's already been beaten by multiple japanese players, and barring route improvements, the current world record contains even better play than seth's run imo.
My feelings on The Demon Rush
I like how hard you are on your own run, Mr. K, when you're the only guy who has the no items run for all I care (and will hold it for pretty much forever). I only have one question, why wasn't I in the skype call? Cry

P.S. "look like so damn fucking great" isn't a good enough compliment? Wink
from red to blue
king of contra
My feelings on The Demon Rush
That's Mr. King of Contra to you. You know that's why he's named mr. k.
berserker status
Amazing run from the get-go, stupid good.  thumbsup