List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Game Page: http://speeddemosarchive.com/Contra.html

Jeremy 'DK28' Doll's no items run

Verifier Responses

Quote:
Overall, the run is really good.  There were some cool close calls, such as just before the boss in stage six when the runner jumped just in time to avoid a bullet in the back.  There were a few hesitations, but this run is still an obvious accept.

Quote:
Run Contra without taking upgrades can be annoying because of the random enemies popping up. Hands down for everyone who try to do this.

There is some things I want to recommend the runner if he would try to improve the run even more in the future. I definitely vote yes for a 36 seconds improvement though.

The base 2 could be improved a lot. Specially the boss fight. You where probably a bit slower compared to the old run. It is probably the most improvable spot in this speedrun. I think I have killed the moving eye twice as fast. Jump along with the eye a bit more. It can be tough to time the shots coming around. so I can´t say it was really bad. After all it is one of the toughest spots in this run and I think a normal watcher is impressed.
On the other hand the bossfight in the waterfall level where a lot better. You skip to kill one tentacle.
Earlier in this level you could kill the first dynamite dude before he shot. Instead you had to wait for the explosives to explode.

There is some stops that isn´t necessary during the run. I noticed a few unnecessary jumps and some strategies that could be a bit better. Ducks for shoots on the first three machine gun dudes in snowfield. There is no random enemies there.
Takes the upper route in the beginning of Energy zone.
Those things is not very bad. Overall a smooth run. The thing that pissed me off was the tanks in the snowfield. To be so close to the spike sure is entertaining but the runner stops running and waits for it to drive forward before he starts to fire. He loose a lots of time on this (AKA 4-5 s. in total). You can get the screen keep scrolling if you run toward the tank. Like Frezy did in his run Wink

You can count the pipes in the ground before the Energy zone boss. This way you know exactly when you have to start shooting at him.

overall a good improvement. I can´t see anything that is suspicious. The quality of the video is fine. I watched the run 3 times and some parts I studied even closer. I also watched the old record once more to realize how much better this new record is.

Decision: accepted

Quote:
Both runs are about even until the second boss, which is where Croc-doc's run is actually faster because the other guy's strategy isn't too hot. After that, the new run just completely overtakes Croc-doc's run in almost every single spot. This guy is especially quick against the snowfield tanks, and breezing through energy zone. Can't say I have any complaints.

The other verifiers didn't have much to add. They said the run was better than the current one, even though DK28 is slower fighting the second boss.

Decision: Accept

Reason: It's an improvement, nuff said.
Thread title:  
General Kong - Bullets and Bananas
Sweet.  THis run was a lot of fun to do.  I agree that the base boss was a little rough.  That will be a priority on any follow ups.  But I'm stoked on getting this one approved.