List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
1-Up!
Game Page: Doesn't exist yet

Single Segment Any% run

Verifier Responses

Quote:
To be perfectly clear, I haven’t played this game in over a decade, but boy, did a lot of memories come flooding back…not all of them pleasant, haha.

I’m hesitant to put this up in case the other verifiers have insight that trumps mine, but…

I don’t see any signs of cheating, and the video and audio are what I expect and remember from the game and that era of PC gaming. (SFX are so grating.)

First level: well done, the jump over the snappy clam-things AND the little green dude (ah, Yorp) is really nice.

Second level (pogo): love that the second jump’s momentum carries Keen just back to ground level there.

Third level: getting that jump at the edge of the “no collision on bottom” platform just under the “has collision on bottom” platform during the last vertical climb is sooooo smooth.

Fourth level: two questions (more for my edification than because I think there was a mistake here):

1) On the climb up to the wall you clip, after turning right to pogo up and to the right (just after a series of pogo jumps to the left), do you wait to jump in order to pogo to just the right spot to set up the clippage?
2) Is it possible to normal jump over the Vorticon as opposed to the pogo jump?

Level looks great, really.

Fifth level: looks like a pretty solid route, same question with regard to the enemy before the exit as last level: normal jump no go?

Sixth level: no significant faults to my eye, the turn after sliding on ice to go under the ledge and keep sliding on ice is great, and the Vorticon jump at level’s end is very nice, some derring-do.

Seventh level: Whoops, robot.  Whoops, fired a shot.  Only “sloppy jump” I noticed was right after opening the purple barrier before the ice on the level above—don’t think you meant to pogo straight into the ceiling of where the barrier/door used to be and got hung up for a couple seconds because of it.

I have to say ACCEPT.  The worst stuff is at the very end and is still really fast.  Some of the precision jumping early in the run makes up for the late issues.  I think you could probably save something like 4-6 seconds if you had all the time and dedication in the world, but this is a great run on a classic game.  Great job, runner.

ETA: I get about 3:58 from control over Keen on the map to hitting the last doorway.

Quote:
Do we just take the screenshots of any part of the video? (Haven't verified for a while >.< )

As far as cheating, video/audio quality and all that goes, everything is in check!

Level 1 - Flawless.

Level 2 - Flawless (there'd be an issue if there was something wrong here :P)

Level 3 - Also flawless... I do like that runner stopped on purpose to get rid of the Yorps - saves a couple of seconds for sure.

Level 4 - Runner pointed out their mistake about firing just too late. The final jump at the end could have been a little lower but still very good (just being pedantic!). As for the other verifier - I imagine the runner stopped to jump over the wall where they did so they could have momentum, otherwise they wouldn't have gotten to that point.

Level 5 - I agree with the route to the exit having a possible improvement, however it'd be a second save at best and this route was executed well.

Level 6 - Can't see any improvements here - that last Vorticon has ruined many great runs!

Level 7 - As said... the robot and the shot fired didn't look great but they weren't huge time wasters (and I think you may have been a little unlucky with the robot). I don't think when you jumped into the doorway was intentional either. One of the last jumps up through those 3 opaque blocks could have been done slightly quicker as well as it's possible to jump from the invisible block to the top.

After all of this though I also have to say yes. The mistakes are small and would add up to a few seconds at most but given some of the frame perfect jumps and such required it's still a very solid effort!

Verdict: Accept.
Time: ~3:59

Quote:
A/V quality - Perfect
Cheating - None (although, to be fair, I didn't think the last run had any cheating either Roll Eyes Not going to editorialize about that decision anymore, though)

First stage - No obvious mistakes.
Pogo - Flawless, of course.
Battery - Very minor mistakes. Can't amount to more than a second or two.
Joystick - Seems like the approach to the first enemy could have been handled differently so that shooting didn't waste as much time (the second one was much faster in comparison). No other mistakes.
Teleporter - Perfect.
Vacuum - Very small amount of time lost on jump timing...again, not more than a second or two.
Last Stage - The only stage with very obvious mistakes. Lost a significant amount of time getting hit by first robot, and then accidentally shooting. More time lost from mistimed jumps. Still, can't amount to more than five seconds worth, tops.

Overall, it's a very solid run. With a lot of patience, I'm sure someone could improve it, but probably not by more than five seconds.

Accept!

Decision: Accept

Congratulations to Joseph 'Tranquilite' Schurig!
Thread title:  
Wewt. Now I think I can go rebury my DOS computer in the shallow grave where I found it.

Quote:
1) On the climb up to the wall you clip, after turning right to pogo up and to the right (just after a series of pogo jumps to the left), do you wait to jump in order to pogo to just the right spot to set up the clippage?
2) Is it possible to normal jump over the Vorticon as opposed to the pogo jump?

1) Yes, the most consistent way (for me at least) to do that clip is to just pogo from that spot while going at a full run (it is important to have full forward momentum to do the clip). I concede that there is probably a faster way to do it, but in a run already dominated by run ending randomness, I wanted everything else to be as consistent as possible.
2) It is possible to normal jump over the vorticon, but I pogo here specifically to avoid as many bad outcomes as possible. At that point, the vorticon could either A) keep walking forward B) Do a short jump C) Do a high jump (cant remember if this scenario actually exists or not) or D) Do a ridiculously high run-ending jump. Pogo-ing there avoids all those scenarios but D.

Also, while this may be just me, it seems that pogo jumps are a bit faster than regular jumps, though either way, you still spend a number of frames glued to the floor while you "wind up" for a jump.

Quote:
Joystick - Seems like the approach to the first enemy could have been handled differently so that shooting didn't waste as much time.

Agreed. Getting shots off while maintaining momentum can be tricky.
Sweet, Commander Keen!!!!