1 page
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Game Page: http://speeddemosarchive.com/ChronoTrigger.html

John De Sousa's New Game + single-segment run.

Verifier Responses

Quote:
I watched this in HQ. I hope I don't have to download all three qualities every time I want to do this though, especially for anything over, oh, half an hour.

Actual response:

Video and audio quality are fine as far as I can see.

Pre-time warp:
The running into Marle and getting back her pendant is done nicely. Little hiccup giving Marle the Prism Helm, costs about half a second. Looks like he tried to use the candy skip trick but ultimately couldn't get it to work on console.

Lavos battles:
Menu work before the Lavos shell is excellent, and he sets up the menu for the Hyper Ether after Inner Lavos. The Shiva Edge is still more than enough to remove the Left Bit. Otherwise the battles themselves are pretty straightforward, and there's not really much to comment on.

I'm accepting this improvement run. It's been well-researched and explained, and a lot of thought went into the menu work and NG+ file setup. The candy skip trick would save a good 18 seconds or so but like I said I dunno how feasible that is on console, and it's not mentioned in the comments.

Quote:
Quality is just fine on the Normal and HQ vids. No problems, no cheating that I could see.

Damn fine job. Easy accept.

The only problem is the timing. The vids already say the time, from start to boss death, but there's still stuff you have to do after the boss's death which should count for time since you still have character control. I see the old run timed by start to boss death, but that was 5 years ago. The video claims it to be 6:56, but I add it up to be about 9:08. The old video claimed to be 7:50, but it looks to be more like 14:18 due to botching that ending stuff horribly, so this is an even bigger improvement than it seems.

Quote:
Just finished watching the run (HQ version). Here are my comments:

---

This... is... Lavos! (madness, Sparta, etc.)

Not much else to say, really. Lots of cool little optimizations and tricks -  I especially like the one where you kept Marle's speed at 14 so that she actually gets less actions than before. It's those types of "less is more" optimizations that really please me, and show that the runner has done their homework on the game mechanics.

It's almost a minute faster by the count of the runner. There is no cheating, are no inconsistencies, and the quality is good, as far as I can tell.

Easy accept from me.

Quote:
Would it be bad or good to tell you I watched all 3 qualities (Though for me the normal quality ran the best, might just be my setup on my laptop)  Tongue

I definitely love that new menu trick and it by far saved a few seconds over the previous run. Honestly I would have LOVED to see if he could pull it off with battle speed 1, but his explanation in his comments makes sense. Overall I will have to approve this run as the new trick and setup is a vast overall improvement on the current run.

Approved Smiley

Quote:
watched in lq, a/v was good, didn't see cheating. improvement of about a minute with nice timesavers, accept.

Quote:
There's not much to say about such a short run.  It's an improvement, and uses some new tricks from the TAS.  Definitely accept.

(BTW, I watched the high quality run.)

Decision: Accept

Reason: It's an improvement over the long-standing run.
Thread title:  
Edit history:
VorpalEdge: 2010-08-11 04:56:05 pm
welcome to the machine
Verifier 1 has his stuff together.  Nicely done.

Quote:
I watched this in HQ. I hope I don't have to download all three qualities every time I want to do this though, especially for anything over, oh, half an hour.

Yeah, that was me.  I stuck them all in a zip together and uploaded it myself so it could get into verification faster, so I didn't have to encode a separate verification copy, and so I only had to upload 1 file instead of 4.  This is probably not going to become standard, don't worry.

Quote:
Little hiccup giving Marle the Prism Helm, costs about half a second.

It was absolutely not half a second.  I timed it out to... .2 or .3 secs, I can't remember.  Fun fact: if it had not happened, I would have been 1-2 frames away from 6:55.  I have no problem remembering that particular statistic.

Quote:
The only problem is the timing. The vids already say the time, from start to boss death, but there's still stuff you have to do after the boss's death which should count for time since you still have character control. I see the old run timed by start to boss death, but that was 5 years ago. The video claims it to be 6:56, but I add it up to be about 9:08. The old video claimed to be 7:50, but it looks to be more like 14:18 due to botching that ending stuff horribly, so this is an even bigger improvement than it seems.

Mike asked me about that, and here's the response:

[17:29:47] jewyama: oh one question
[17:29:57] jewyama: someone mentioned you have to move around and do stuff after you beat the game
[17:30:14] jewyama: oops I mean beat lavos
[17:30:17] jewyama: I thought that was just the ending
[17:30:24] jewyama: because it's some goofy bonus ending
[17:30:52] VorpalEdge: it definitely requires player input
[17:31:12] VorpalEdge: but it's like, the game is clearly over
[17:31:20] VorpalEdge: and most of hte other endings end after killing lavos
[17:31:30] VorpalEdge: i... think
[17:32:22] VorpalEdge: all i know is, if you end up timing it i am going to be sad, because i didn't really optimize it :/
[17:32:46] jewyama: I don't see why I would
[17:33:00] VorpalEdge: well, you were asking about it
[17:33:05] jewyama: since the game is basically done when you kill lavos
[17:33:13] jewyama: I thought there was some non-ending stuff or something
[17:33:47] VorpalEdge: no, it's basically a developer gallery, and you have to go talk to some of them to trigger the credits
[17:35:48] jewyama: oh that's it?
[17:35:50] jewyama: then yeah that doesn't count

All that said, however, I am retracting this run from submission because of this.  Stay tuned.
0-10
It is possible to die during that ending, however unlikely that is. You'd have to get really unlucky with Hex, or be incredibly stupid...
I was the verifier who pointed out the timing thing. I thought SDA was pretty strict about timing by character control, and the last part looked smooth enough. Oh well.
welcome to the machine
Suggested screenshot for the page: