Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Game Page: http://speeddemosarchive.com/CastlevaniaAdventureRebirth.html

Thomas L. Mallory, Jr.'s easy mode run

Verifier Responses

Quote:
Stage 1
I like where the runner gets the whip upgrade, instead of getting it where Sir VG did.

Stage 2
I think the section with the rats and jellyfish could be a bit faster.  The axe might be a better choice.  That was cool when the runner used the stopwatch on those two mermen on the elevator.

Stage 3
On the second screen, I like how the runner jumps over the red skeleton and whips the white skeleton on the rope.  I like how the runner jumped onto a spear to get onto the stairs.  The bridge section could be smoother.  You don’t have to duck when you whip the bone pillars if your whip is fully upgraded.

Stage 4
When the runner gets the first key, I like how he jumps over the green blob instead of stopping to whip it.  I don’t think taking the extra time to get the stopwatch is necessary at all.

Stage 5
I was surprised to see the runner purposely take two big hits from the first two enemies, ballsy and a good timesaver.  The fact that the runner got down to one unit of health made things a bit more exciting.

Stage 6
Awesome job on getting three hits per round on Dracula’s first form.

Overall, I really like this run.  Accept.

Quote:
No quality issues. No cheating spotted.

Some very nice ideas in Stage 1, like getting the whip upgrade in a more convenient spot and not using the axe on the big eye. Saved about 6 seconds.

Stage 2 shows hows useful the stopwatch really is. I'm surprised. And again the boss fight is much better thanks to not using the axe. 12 seconds saved in this stage.

In the first vertical part of Stage 3, it looks like VG was half a second quicker on the stairs with the three spears. However, the new tricks used in this run totally negate that loss. I'm also surprised at how useful taking damage in the air is. 14 seconds saved here.

Unfortunate mistake with the stairs before the second screen of Stage 4. He makes up for it with a couple new things. Killing the two green pods to get the first key was pretty cool. At first I was unsure if backtracking for the stopwatch would be helpful, but it looks like it evened out. And the golem may have jumped, but it's still a single cycle kill. Props. 9 seconds saved.

Taking damage to get through the robots in Stage 5 is brilliant. True he has to break a bit to get some extra wallmeat and a stopwatch, and those mistakes later on did hurt a lot, but this stage has an improvement of 35 seconds. That's pretty crazy. In the part that almost got him killed, though, I think VG's idea of using the cross was better.

That's a pretty bad mistake in the final stretch. I blame trying to get the stopwatch, actually. The score tally doesn't count in this stage, so burning out your hearts is pointless. Despite that, the Dracula fights are perfect, resulting in a 3 second gain.

Given I didn't screw up somewhere, 1:19 was saved in this run, going by the amount of time left over after each stage. That's pretty damn good. And there a very few mistakes in this run, too. Definitely not enough to get under 19 minutes.

Accept.

Quote:
This is a great run. No color commentary this time, because there's not much to say about it. It's much tighter (and obviously faster) than the recently-published one, and it doesn't contain nearly as many mistakes (maybe only 2 or 3 noticeable ones that add up to a few seconds at the most). I'm not so sure about the liberal use of the watch, though. It did save some time and waste hearts, but I don't think it was always necessary.
Overall though, who cares about that? It's still impressive and entertaining, and an obvious accept.

Quote:
I concede the record to thri11ki11...for now.

Decision: Accept

Reason: It's an improvement, and a substantial one too.
Thread title:  
Fucking Weeaboo
Congrats.  You worked hard to get this one from me.

...for now.
Don't MAKE me come down these stairs
Thanks for all of your comments.

I know it's not perfect, but I think the things that I did to save time should give other runners (I'm looking at you, VG) some ideas on how to improve a run in this game.

I've considered trying to beat this time. I've tried quite a few times, and I've been practicing the Stage 4 boss to consistently get one cycle, but for every error I fix something else doesn't go as well as it did in this run. Maybe someday. I'm also considering a normal mode run, but I'm going to have to take some time off from this game... I notice if I take a month or so off I come back and perform better... perhaps burnout.