List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
1-Up!
Game Page: http://speeddemosarchive.com/CastlevaniaOoE.html

Hard Level 1 Segmented Any% run

Verifier Responses

Quote:
The game has an ingame timer. The time displayed at the end is 1:07:54. As far as I know, the timer is accurate.

As for the run, I was extremely impressed at the level of planning and optimisation that went into this. Level 1 Hard games are incredibly difficult to complete even playing normally, let alone quickly. There were only a few places I could see improvements or possible improvements, most of which were caught by the runner and detailed in the comments. Even so, the total improvement time would be somewhere in the region of 30 seconds.

I vote accept. This run is amazing.

Quote:
Audio and video are fine. I did not notice any inconsistency in the saves. Did the runner submit the original video with all the segments patched together, or is that something just for ease of verification?

Other than a couple small losses, the runner sets a good pace and losses are minimal. Good menu efficiency too, even though it doesn't affect the game time. Several of the obvious mistakes are noted, but fairly minimal in terms of time lost. The concise notes help to keep track of goals and optimizations for those not familiar with the game. Great optimization and luck in the Prison. All of the boss fights went great, which is what I'd hope for a segmented run. A lot of good pathing choices to get around enemies and carefully selected damage boosts as well. This is only a minor time saver since the runner can afford so few damage boosts in a segment, but every bit helps. Great work on Albus; I remember how annoying he can be, and it must have taken some time to get it right. Some great enemy manipulation and room resets in the later half. I was really impressed with the Eligor fight too; got the glitch with no hassle, and the combination of rings sped up things significantly as well. Actually, all of the last few bosses went great, since the runner has all the necessary ingrediants to do ungodly amounts of damage. Menu management slows a bit towards the end, but again this does not affect the in-game timer.

Final time was 1:07:54. Overall was a great run and pretty enjoyable to watch.

My vote is to ACCEPT. The runner did a great job, and it will be good to get another direct capture DS run up on the site.

Quote:
This run is amazing. Hard level 1 is incredibly difficult, and beating it this fast even more so. The routing, planning, damage boosts, and boss fights are all excellent, and mistakes are for the most part minor. Eligor was especially impressive. Good exploitation of certain glyphs and rings. I like the use of Fidelis Caries as a shield. The segments with a specific rare chest item must have been extremely tedious to complete. Bonus points for using the Japanese voices as well. Overall a great run of a difficult mode. Time is 1:07:54.

But... the runner doesn't get Konami Man so I have to say reject.

Just kidding. Definitely vote accept.

Quote:
Seg1 - When he had to hit Barlowe with Confodere, why didn't he jump while attacking to eliminate the cooldown period? The save point he uses is a tiny bit out of the way. I think it could probably be avoided. The prologue stuff is simple enough that it shouldn't be too annoying to do over if you don't have good luck with chests in the Monastery.

Seg2 - Getting hit by that one Axe Armor hurt. It forced him to save after getting Magnes, which is a hefty detour because he has to fall back down to get there. In another game this might not be a big deal, but Shanoa is so slow in the early game, it really stands out here.

Seg3 - In the room before the first Heart Max Up, he didn't have to go the long way around to get there. You can backdash and jump off the bottomleft entrance to get onto the next platform up, skipping having to deal with that Banshee. Consequently, he could've saved those 15 hearts he used to take her out on something else, and skip having to detour for a heart after activating the warp point in the previous segment. And on the way out after getting the Max Up, it is possible to jump over that Banshee without taking damage, but it is a little precise.

Seg4 - He could've used a Glyph Union on Arthroverta if he didn't use one on that Banshee last segment.

Seg5 - The runner says Heart Repairs can only be found in the Monastery. But they can be found in Ruvas Forest as well. So he could potentially have two right now, opening up a number of possibilities. Also, the current run on the site gets Magical Tickets from both this stage and the previous. He is going to end up buying Tickets later anyway, but still, why not try to save a few bucks?

Seg6 - Nothing to complain about here.

Seg7 - Not using Magnes to get out of the boss room is a terrible mistake. Even with the RNG required in the stage, I think that mistake should've forced a reset.

Seg8 - I feel that backdash-crouch-cancelling some of those slower weapon hits would save a little bit of time. That was a creative use of the normal Glyph Union.

Seg9 - Nothing bad here either.

Seg10 - I like the strategy for Brachyura. But that one execution error is a big no-no. That should've been a reset too. When rescuing the villager right after, it would save a little time to fall in that hole there before absorbing the glyph. That way, Shanoa doesn't run to the right side of the screen and you can exit quicker. I wonder if that detour to get the Heart Max Up can be avoided, but I'll trust the runner on this one.

Seg11 - Looks good to me.

Seg12 - He could jump while using Dominus Hatred so he can still move around a bit. He should also be backdash-crouch-cancelling his Unions.

Seg13 - Not much to say here except he could've jumped when activating the Scutum union.

Seg14 - I like the use of Fidelis Caries and the Skeleton Rex dodges in this segment. He doesn't get a second Blow Ring, whereas the current run does. It doesn't save a whole lot of time, but it doesn't cost much time to get either. And he's not BDCing those Macir unions.

Seg15 - The strat on Maneater is really nice. The runner chooses not to divekick everywhere now that he has double jump. That would be the fastest form of movement right now, if only by a little.

Seg16 - I'm kinda doubting that Fidelis Aranea is worth getting. I hope that Heart Max Up in Tymeo is worth it too, cause that is really far out of the way.

Seg17 - I wish he could've stayed above water at the beginning of Somnus Reef. Just as with Blow Rings, he opts to only get one Wind Ring while the current run gets two. Though the detour required to get the second Wind Ring is a bit long. I'm not sure which is better in this case.

Seg18 - The Rusalka fight is good, though that one double jump really confused me. I guess Fidelis Aranea does make up a little bit for the damage lost by not having a second Wind Ring.

Seg19 - The Barbarian Helm is an interesting idea, though again I'm worried it's not worth the extra time to get it. And again, he doesn't BDC his Vol Macir Unions. He never equipped his Blow Ring either, though I doubt that would've made a difference.

Seg20 - It's a shame he got that ring and ended up not needing it.

Seg21 - Good job dodging those Ectoplasms.

Seg22 - When the rubble was falling on him, could he have used a union or two to destroy it and hit Goliath at the same time?

Seg23 - Diagonals never really gave me a problem...

Seg24 - Only 2 more Attack from the Chariot Ring doesn't seem to be worth it to me.

Seg25 - Gravedorcus gave him a really good pattern. Needs more BDC though. That one attempt at a divekick off an enemy was unfortunate. These games do that sometimes.

Seg26 - Divekicking looks incredibly useful in the swamp. I wish he didn't have to use so many unions, but I don't know if there's a way around that.

Seg27 - That surprise Ignis screwed him out of a no damage clear. It would've been great if he didn't have to save before Barlowe to refill his health.

Seg28 - Not equipping a Wind Ring for those last few hits doesn't make a difference, I take it. BDCing would, though. Sorry to sound like a broken record, but it's a critical technique in the DS Castlevanias.

Seg29 - Activating the warp before Wallman is actually a really good idea.

Seg30 - Everything checks out here.

Seg31 - He whiffed one hit on Blackmore, meaning he could've had 20 hearts to work with afterwards. Or maybe one of the Heart Max Ups he picked up wasn't worth it?

Seg32 - Yeah, waiting for Rapidus Fio makes a world of difference when getting Dextro Custos. Good call.

Seg33 - No prob.

Seg34 - The current run collects the Valkyrie Mail right next to the Barracks warp point. Why wasn't this considered?

Seg35 - Okay.

Seg36 - I wish he didn't have to use that warp point before Eligor, but the game kinda forces his hand there.

Seg37 - He does backdash cancel some unions on Eligor, but not all of them. And he never cancelled a backdash with a crouch.

Seg38 - Finally I don't have to complain about a boss fight! Yay!

Seg39 - It's unfortunate he had to get that extra Heart Max Up above Volaticus, but again, the category doesn't leave him much choice.

Seg40 - Crouch cancelling could've saved a tiny bit of time on Drac. And I'm assuming Wind Ring wouldn't have made a difference in that fight. If it were me, I would've equipped it anyway cause it doesn't cost game time.

Video quality and audio quality are obviously miles ahead of the current run. I didn't spot any inconsistencies between segments.

Hard lvl1 cap is quite a task. No one saying it's easy to speedrun. However, sadly I'm gonna have to be that one guy and say the mistakes made outweigh the good here. The errors made are nasty losses in time and look ugly. Time can be saved on nearly every boss fight, and some can be saved while just running around. I congratulate the runner on completing a run of this magnitude, but I would like to see a bit more polish put into this run before it's published. Sorry but I have to reject.

Quote:
Video: Really good
Audio: I had it muted, I trust the other verifiers

It was really weird seeing his name as A-M, I should steal that abbreviation.

seg 1: Not shorthopping for Barlowe lost a tiny bit of time. That save seems a little unnecessary, but because he manipulates the chest in the next segment, he needs to take it. Considering that though, I was able to get a 1:41 after 15 or so minutes, so this could have been done a little better. Condensing this segment with the next (and eliminating the out of the way stuff there), I was able to get a 2:54 after about an hour, which is quite a lot early in the run. It's a shame that the runner probably didn't know of SDA when running this.

seg 2: Should do more shorthop attacks, would save time hitting some of the projectiles and candles. Not a fan of the room before Magnes, there. A small correction to the verifier above, it's not the Axe Armor hit that forces a save, but manipulating that particular Heart Repair. The current run on the site manipulates one in Ruvas Forest, which isn't out of the way at all and should have been used. Just accepting this particular route, after about 40 minutes (lost track of time lol) I was able to get a 3:05, but I only saw a Heart Repair once, so the runner's time is acceptable.

seg 3: I haven't played in a few years, but hooooly crap OoE hard mode is hard. Tried this segment and only made it through twice in an hour, didn't even get the Secare glyph. I came up with some improvements, but overall this was actually a really good segment. There are a number of improvements to make though. He could have magnes'd faster out of the first room, tap-pull-tap would be the strat. And in the room where he unions on the banshee, you can just backdash off the edge at the start of the room and jump up there, cutting off quite a bit of time if you also include the out-of-the-way heart in seg3. It doesn't save a glyph for Arthroverta or anything though, since he just picks up the Max Up immediately after. I was too chicken in my attempts, but in the room with the knight + 2 banshees, it's much faster to jump into the first banshee and damage boost across the room. He should also be breaking candles for the small amount of money they give, it'd help alleviate the cost of meats and such. Like I said though, I'm still impressed with this segment overall, because those zombies are just depressing.

seg 4: From here on just keep in mind that I'm unhappy with him pulling back slowly on Magnes (instead of spacing the first one for a tap), unless otherwise noted. Arthroverta fight was good. Sick bat dodge. Shorthopping the glyph on the way out would save some time, but his strats here are good. I really, really wish he'd jump up the ledge in that village, he doesn't do it in the future segments either. Walking up is a third of a second slower than jumping.

I don't have a time to compare here, I'm not sure if I'll try to get Secare and keep playing along, but doing so definitely reminded me of how impressive this run is.

seg 5: This part of the game is so mean. His use of zombie was pretty ingenious, I'd say it was worth the time trade. Despite the difficulty of this segment, he should definitely have been manipulating for the Heart Repair here instead of in the Monastery. I remember using a mismatch glyph union to save on hearts and take care of the axe guys, but I guess it doesn't matter since he comes back to the village anyway. Loses nearly a second from the stairs...

seg 6: Nearly optimal, I liked that damage boost.

seg 7: Break candles plz. He should be going under those first two mermen imo, but it's not a huge timewaster. Not magnesing should have been a restart, that's actually quite a bit of time. The spear guards take 3 hits to kill, may be worth killing them instead of sliding through, timewise.

seg 8: I've been playing too much CVHD, I thought he was dead as soon as he started a slide past that Iron Maiden. I'm not sure this should have been its own segment.

seg 9: Good enough, I really like his strat against the robot thing, getting it stuck on the stairs. He jumped up in the village!

seg 10: That magnes.... Not really sure how that mistake happens at the end of the boss, and he forgets to jump up three ramps, losing a full second. Since he takes the save right before the boss, he really should have reset. I don't really understand the segment attempts here, after all that luck manipulation, I'd think that resetting on a non-luck based part wouldn't be frustrating at all.

seg 11: Doesn't jump up a ramp. Everything else looks good.

seg 12: This level looks incredibly annoying. The runner makes it through well, although his platforming could use a lot of work, many seconds are lost from overjumping (although platforming can feel weird in this game).

seg 13: Good strats to avoid the enemies here, especially with the Scutum at the end. I'm guessing those butterflies are as unpredictable as the zombies when trying to run.

seg 14: This looks like it was a difficult segment to plan out. I'm really liking the use of that zombie actually. The T-rex dodging looks really slick. Like a previous verifier said, not seeing shorthopping and BDCing all over the place is really grating, as they were definitely known when this run was made, although cvhd hadn't popularized them. The runner is basically just leaking time like a sieve on nearly every attack and glyph union.

seg 15: I like that fight, it goes quite smoothly. Going back to the cvhd thing, now that he has doublejump, it's really strange not to see triangle jumping everywhere. It's an easy way to save small amounts of time in huge quantities and should be standard for any CV run.

seg 16: Please start jumping up slopes, or jumpkicking up them. I'm not sure what he'll use summon spider for, will be interested. Also not convinced that the big heart detour is the best idea, but I'll try to keep his heart count in mind. He jumped up the ramp to the save!

I'll finish sometime in the next day or two, playing along ended up eating way more time than I thought. I wonder how long this run took to record.

Quote from same verifier:
Yeah, sorry, I got completely addicted to Tera. I've watched the whole thing and I'll give a weak accept. I think there's definitely a lot of improve with various parts of the run, but based on how old it is and the current state of DS capture, I don't think it'll happen in the next couple of years. It's definitely a great watch for just how brutally difficult hard mode is, as well.

Decision: Accept

Reason: It seems that the good outweighs the bad, considering the difficulty of the run.

Congratulations to Adrien ‘A-M’ Monpeyssen!
Thread title:  
Is this already available somewhere or do I have to wait for the site update?
We all scream for Eyes Cream
You'll have to wait a few months. After a verification, the run takes time to be encoded and processed, and a bunch of other background things.
Nah it's here:
Cool! Thank you everybody. Indeed, this run is not perfect and I hope it will motivate other players to beat it.
To answer to one of the verifiers, I had exactly one month to record this run (the record device was not mine) and it was really short. I chose to go forward sometimes even if there were some mistakes, in order to finish this run in time.
thanks for the link Serris.  the run itself was really well done.    like others said, its obvious a lot of thought was put into it.  also, i never realized how broken the evil aura ability was.  if you go in there right, you can really destroy things, though im guessing the runner had the death ring too (that thing that boosts your stats but you die in 1 hit?)
Catchin' them all
Yeah, he did.

That was an amazing run and makes me go back and play it again. I think I got stuck in the forest lol. <_<
Great run! Yeah I too could never get past the forest on new game hard. >_<