List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Game Page: http://speeddemosarchive.com/CastlevaniaLoI.html

Nicholas 'Sir VG' Hoppe's single-segment as Leon

Verifier Responses

Quote:
LoI was solid. There isn't much to say. It replaces an SS, with a better one. I felt there could've been more luck with Succubus but the fight went as well as anyone could expect. There are some minor luck based facts that did not go, but the skill of the playthrough was well executed. Its all good, I'd accept it. Also there wasn't any video/audio problems (for me)

Quote:
I reject this run because VG is a fucking weeaboo. How could you not want to hear Death cry "MINIONS!!!" And denying us of Dave Wittenberg as Leon? Unforgivable. I should get Dave to chop your head off and stuff it with Pup-peroni.

Seriously, though, this run does have a couple things I have issue with. I don't think the extra trips to Rinaldo are necessary. In particular, buying the two armors. With the endless supply of Potions at hand, I don't think +5% or +10% defense is going to make much of a difference. And most certainly not both. Speaking of Rinaldo, you don't even have to go to his shop after Ghostly Theatre. Just exit a boss' room so you can use a Memorial Ticket.

He doesn't handle the lasers in Ghostly Theatre properly. At the ogres before Succubus, the 100% run has a better strategy: just throw knives at them. The 100% also has a better Succubus fight thanks to using the Svarog Statue.

Why'd he get the Raccoon Charm? Is luck really a factor in this run?

He does some twitchy jumps throughout, like in the spike rooms in the Garden. And he jumped once in the glass wall room when he didn't need to.

He missed the orb after beating Golem. I feel his pain.

Only other problem is the final bosses. His Walter fight is slower because he ran away from the explosion move, and he doesn't use Vertical High. His Death fight is quicker, but again he doesn't use Vertical High. Dragondarch was getting more damage out using it. So that should mean VG's fight could be even quicker, correct?

All in all, though, those are the only few problems with the run. Everything else is performed extremely well, the improvements are immediately noticable, fights go better for the most part, better warping is used, and item duplication just makes it even easier. Even with all the pausing involved, the run is quicker even in real time. I can't wait to see what this glitch can do for 100%.

Accept this run.

Quote:
Finished watching the run and everything seems fine (video, audio, etc). There's not much to say since it's basically an upgraded version of the old run in just about every way (using the item glitch, overall gameplay, etc). Nice route planning with the tickets. From what I remember, I believe the runner's last skill learnt was Vertical High. If that was indeed his last skill then everything is fine. If he learned the followup after that combo, he could infinite combo Walter and Death to their death (Walter can't escape but Death can). The main reason for comboing is because the LoI system was made the opposite of fighting games when it came to combos, basically the more hits you pull off, the MORE damage each hit does.

Other than that, not much else to say other than this run being great. Approved.

Decision: Accept

Reason: It's an improvement over an old run.
Thread title:  
General Kong - Bullets and Bananas
Sounds awesome, thank you Sir_VG.  I'll be waiting for this one.  Smiley
Edit history:
Sir VG: 2010-04-19 12:59:00 pm
Fucking Weeaboo
Quote:
With the endless supply of Potions at hand, I don't think +5% or +10% defense is going to make much of a difference.

I feel they do.  The thing you have to remember is that even though I have infinite potions (well, technically 9 standard, 9 high, and 9 super when I get them), it does take a few seconds to use them.  The less damage I take (and thus the less potions I need to use) the better.

Quote:
He doesn't handle the lasers in Ghostly Theatre properly. At the ogres before Succubus, the 100% run has a better strategy: just throw knives at them. The 100% also has a better Succubus fight thanks to using the Svarog Statue.

Whenever I tried to do it like the old run, I kept screwing it up.  As for the notes on the Ogres and Succubus (aka BITCHQUEEN), I'll remember that if I ever do this again, or do 100%.

Quote:
Why'd he get the Raccoon Charm? Is luck really a factor in this run?

I'm trying to remember what it's purpose was...I think it ups the chance of a critical?  You're right...I could probably skip it though.

Quote:
He does some twitchy jumps throughout, like in the spike rooms in the Garden. And he jumped once in the glass wall room when he didn't need to.

I'll have to look at the video again...I can't think of what jump you're referring to.

Quote:
He missed the orb after beating Golem. I feel his pain.

Hi there Mr. Castlevania *COUGHsatoryuCOUGH* Fan! Smiley

Quote:
I reject this run because VG is a fucking weeaboo. How could you not want to hear Death cry "MINIONS!!!" And denying us of Dave Wittenberg as Leon? Unforgivable. I should get Dave to chop your head off and stuff it with Pup-peroni.

Yeah, I love you too man.

Quote:
Only other problem is the final bosses. His Walter fight is slower because he ran away from the explosion move, and he doesn't use Vertical High. His Death fight is quicker, but again he doesn't use Vertical High. Dragondarch was getting more damage out using it. So that should mean VG's fight could be even quicker, correct?

I'm trying to remember about Vertical High.  I may never have used it before in gameplay.  Walter falls pretty damn hard with just Astral Knife, but I know you can't kill him with it.  I see how it could help with Death, since you can't use special weapons.

Edit: More things
Quote:
His Walter fight is slower because he ran away from the explosion move

After rewatching Dragondarch's any% and 100% runs, he also runs from it, so this is not the difference maker.

Also, loading the game back up, I now remember Vertical High, and Rising Shot.  The probably would be better then T,T,T.

Quote:
Speaking of Rinaldo, you don't even have to go to his shop after Ghostly Theatre. Just exit a boss' room so you can use a Memorial Ticket.

Incorrect.  You get a MAGICAL ticket in the training center, which sends you back to Rinaldo.  I need to go in to buy Memorial tickets (2) - 1 to use right away and 1 to dupe.
Visually Appealing
Quote from Lord_VG:
Incorrect.  You get a MAGICAL ticket in the training center, which sends you back to Rinaldo.  I need to go in to buy Memorial tickets (2) - 1 to use right away and 1 to dupe.

I guess I worded that bad. I meant that you could use Memorial Tickets after every boss after completing Ghostly Theatre. I know you don't have one yet after beating Succubus, but you would after beating the other four bosses.
Fucking Weeaboo
Ah.  I'll have to look into that.

Quote:

And looking back at the video, I think you mean the Theater (spiked rooms) and the House (glass wall).  Right?
Castlevania?
Grats! Smiley
Fucking Weeaboo
I figured out today that you don't even have to leave the boss room to use a memorial ticket - you just have to get the orb.  That'll save a little time.

Now if Succubus would stop being a bitch, sub 54 would be in the bag.
Castlevania?
You ever thought of using the axe? I always wondered if it was faster.
Edit history:
Sir VG: 2010-04-22 05:56:38 pm
Fucking Weeaboo
Having seen the devastating power of Astral Knife first hand, I don't think going to another subweapon is a good choice.  There's quite a few rooms that Astral Knife can beat in one usage.  It may be faster for something like the ogres in Ghostly Theater, but then I'd have to go find a dagger again, which would take some time.

I'm not sure how many different subweapon locations I cross.  I know I go by a couple in the theater (one of which is the dagger), at least 1 in Waterfalls, and 1 in House.

Edit: Also, in contrary to a previous statement, you can't use memorial tickets out of Joachim's room.  The other boss fights are a green light.
Fucking Weeaboo
I'm gonna go ahead and cancel my accepted run.  I knew with the tips from Satoryu that I could pull off sub-54.  I never expected to pull off a sub-53.

Man, I feel bad about this.  I mean, canceling a run that was gonna be rejected is one thing.  But canceling an ACCEPTED run?  Oh boy.

P.S.  I'm still a fucking weeaboo.
Visually Appealing
Quote from Lord_VG:
P.S.  I'm still a fucking weeaboo.

That made my day. Thank you for the laugh, and being such a good sport.
Edit history:
Sir VG: 2010-04-23 05:17:29 pm
Fucking Weeaboo
No problem.  If it was anybody else, it would be one thing.  But you?  I can take a silly joke. Smiley

Plus it's funny to say.  Really.

Edit: Never knew that Dave Wittenberg also voiced Allen from Xenosaga.  Huh.
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Well, I guess I'll reject the run you submitted then. If anyone wants to see the run, just send me a PM.