List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
1-Up!
Game Page: Doesn't exist yet

Simon-only IL table, no zips

Verifier Responses

Quote:
Audio/Video is good. No signs of cheating. Video does looked like it was encoded in 4:3 and it was originally in 16:9, making the video look smushed. If it's possible to rerecord the video since they're replay videos, that'd be cool. If not, it's not a big  deal. It looks great either way. I wanna get a second opinion on it though because it might just be me.

I am still amazed that this a thing. I am verifying a run of Castlevania HD. I never thought this would ever get this far, but it did! I applaud you PJ!

Now onto my response...

Stage 1: There isn't much I can say about this stage. You hit all the critical corner boosts, got great Merman luck, and got to Gergoth before the second laser. I could split hairs about missing the corner boost right before the Minotaurs, but I won't since it didn't cost you time, but it DID cost you a couple stylish points. Wink

Stage 2: Great overall stage and getting all the vital corner boosts again. Watching you miss the boost before Treant hurt because I know how cool that one is, but it didn't cost any time. And I remember mentioning that boost by the White Dragon, and I don't blame you for wanting to try it because it's so impossible! Boss fight was great as usual (maybe a handful a frames slow in between mashing, but I'm splitting hairs here).

Stage 3: This stage personally amazed me because I know the Demons can be absolute assholes (which is why I love stage 2 so much as well). I don't recall ever being able to make that jump off the candle even before the patch, but I'll take Aftermath's word for it that it was possible before since he knew all the crazy tricks before the game was patched. As for the fight, it was just too good. That's about all I can say.

Stage 4: Awesome stage and that Fire Demon manip was sick! I know by experience how painful it is to get him to cooperate (I'm looking back at our insane co-op run of this stage). You nailed everything perfectly. Good job!

Stage 5: This stage impresses me the most and for good reason. Hitting the corner boosts off both pendulums is so hard to do since they're moving so fast. The good Harpy luck made me so mad because they never behave like that any other time! You caught lightning in a bottle with this run right there! The one thing that would've made it even better is if you could've went for the corner boost after hitting the switch heading to Death's room, but the enemy placement wasn't favorable at that point, so it was better you didn't try for it.

Stage 6: Honestly, even after watching you get hit by Dullahan after a miscalculation, I did cringe a bit, but then I went back to being amazed shortly after. Your Medusa Head room luck was perfect. The Dracula fight was perfect. A really good stage overall.

Overall, every stage was either perfect or near perfect, and the fact that anyone managed to complete an IL table for this game (not counting DLC stages) is crazy! Congrats PJ!

Accept

Quote:
Apologies for taking so long. I blame SGDQ and real life.

Game- Castlevania: Harmony of Despair - Simon
Run time-
Chapter 1: 1:19.64
Chapter 2: 1:19.88
Chapter 3: 0:57.04
Chapter 4: 0:56.03
Chapter 5: 0:56.22
Chapter 6: 2:18.16

Video quality- Great, other than the videos look a little squished as a 16:9 game in a 4:3 video. If this was processed through Anri-chan, isn't there an option to keep it widescreen?
Sound quality- Excellent.

Evaluation of the run-
Chapter 1: Not much to say other than KNIFE SPAM!!!
Chapter 2: At first, I thought that instead of aggro'ing the Sea Demon you could kick off of the Gurkha Master, but then I realized that you wouldn't get the height that you need. So, it's all good.
Chapter 3: Nice quick kill.
Chapter 4: Fire Demon shortcut x2 for the win! Also, KNIFE SPAM!!!!
Chapter 5: You let Death get an attack in...but still very good.
Chapter 6: You got good patterns in the Medusa rooms, and your Dracula fight was nice...except for the 3rd phase. You didn't let the great music play at all...

Final Decision- ACCEPT. Overall these are great ILs to have. My only complaint is that the runner didn't try to lose more of his sanity and attempt to get the DLC levels in too.

The only question I have: Isn't calling it "no-zips" a bit unnecessary for Simon? To my knowledge only certain characters can use the zips (Soma, obviously; Richter, Jonathan, maybe Julius), so wouldn't only those characters have to have zips/no-zips categories?

Quote:
I've been following PJ's runs of this pretty much since he got the game, and it's been interesting seeing the progress he's made this whole time. I know my mind was blown the first time I saw him aggro a fire demon to make ch. 4 shorter, and he just has made so many little shortcuts with Simon that I didn't think I'd see. I've actually watched the IL table in full about 15-20 times now just because it's so silky smooth and beautiful. Yes, there are a few mistakes, one of the more notable ones being in Ch. 6 with getting hit by the dullahan. No, he doesn't hit every corner boost. However, the combination of good luck, hitting all the corner boosts and shortcuts that matter the most, and pretty much flawless backdash cancel knife spam all add up to make an amazing watch.

This is a no brainer accept to me. Then again, I also thought Aftermath's Soma IL table was a no brainer back in the day, but the game just had to update and make him feel like he had to withdraw that. Stupid thing.

Quote:
Sorry for taking so long...

Audio/Video is good, although I'm not a huge critic in that department

Stg 1: Turns out Simon can jump very high, and he got to the boss pretty quickly, and utterly demolished the boss.
Stg 2: Another boss that was destroyed, and I have a love/hate relationship with the puppetmaster. The enemy manipulation of the Blue birdie was also good.
Stg 3: Pretty standard for this level, but the bat manipulation was nice. It was also really impressive to see Menace triggered and killed from that far away.
Stg 4: Don't know what to say on this level, other than that the route there was good.
Stg 5: In my experience with this stage I have always gone left (with other characters) so it was interesting to see a new route.
Stg 6: Obviously the most boring/linear route in the game, but the runner did a nice job of making it go quickly.

Overall really smooth and impressive job. Now for the DLC levels? =)

Decision: Accept

Congratulations to Patrick "PJ" DiCesare!
Thread title:  
Is PJ
Yay!  Thanks for verifying, everybody!  I am kind of tempted to improve my Chapter 3 and Chapter 6 sometime, but for now they are great.  It is such a relief to just have this finished.  Haha.

Just a quick update about the video quality, I suck something fierce at recording any higher quality than SNES apparently, so I got Aftermath to rerecord all of my ILs (this replay feature is seriously the best part of the game).  He sent me over some of the finished ILs and they are absolutely beautiful.  So, fear not!  The new videos have been (or will be shortly) submitted and will replace the lower quality versions you saw.  I promise it'll be worth rewatching.  ^_^

Some quick responses:

Quote from Verifier 2:
The only question I have: Isn't calling it "no-zips" a bit unnecessary for Simon? To my knowledge only certain characters can use the zips (Soma, obviously; Richter, Jonathan, maybe Julius), so wouldn't only those characters have to have zips/no-zips categories?

Simon can do whatever he wants to do.  Here's a quick highlight of me going into the boss chamber of level 10 from the very first ledge in the level: DUALLL CRUUUUSH

It's really tricky for Simon to do the zips, but he most definitely can.  It adds a lot more unnecessary luck to the runs and, in my honest opinion, isn't nearly as entertaining as a highly polished zipless run.

Quote from Verifier 4:
Now for the DLC levels? =)

Haha.  Actually, I was playing this again a few days ago, practicing the DLC levels (Ch8 and Ch11 in particular).  I'm still missing Retro Cloak and Fuma Helm, which I think would speed them up by a few hundredths, so I didn't really want to do the DLC levels without that gear.  And I don't really want to grind again for it.  I might try some of those levels a bit anyways just to see if I can get anything, but don't expect me to actually finish it.

Thanks again for all the feedback!  I am very proud of Dullahan this table.  ^_^
B+Left, Left, Up+B, ★
Congrats PJ! These runs are a blast to watch. Way to represent Simon Wink
All the things
PJ is out to conquer the world. Why is nobody stopping him?!
Quits halfway
Congrats PJ, these are good times. One thing people should appreciate is how many Simon-only tricks/optimizations you make use of.
Is PJ
Yea, I didn't even notice how many tricks were only possible because Simon is so short until I played as Soma again.  Why is he so tall?  His head hits everything.  :/
Quits halfway
That's what she said.
Waiting hurts my soul...
What is this working on a game other than ActRaiser 2?! Well, I forgive you because it was on the request thread. Wink Congratulations PJ!
Edit history:
Aftermath: 2012-06-30 03:58:31 pm
Quits halfway
Thought I should post my verification notes:

Video: The videos should all be 16:9, or the 480p equivalent (720x480), but they're all smooshed at 640x480. I think it'd warrant a re-encode if PJ still has the raws sitting around, otherwise people can just manually change the aspect ratio in their video player. The replays don't always play correctly, and I remember some stages almost took longer to get the replay to cooperate than the run itself.

Audio: It's there, bizarrely.

Ch1: Wow, I don't think I had ever seen this IL, it's faster than Soma. I really like the jumps around the drawbridge, I was worried for an amount of time before you got that bat jumpkick. The fleaman room looked really smooth. I was really scared that you wouldn't see the boss coming when you turned around at 29:03, but everything turned out alright.

Ch2: Seeing those two Simon-only shortcuts makes me so jealous. Actually, I wonder if Soma can divekick onto the Une, something to try, I suppose. The other is in the Yorick Room with the Spittle Bone PJ mentioned, other characters hit their head on the ceiling and have to waste a couple more seconds to make up onto that left exit. I remember discussing this chapter at length with him, because of the double-boost at the start and how he missed the Treant boost. What he said in his notes is spot-on, this is already one of the most trick-filled levels, that double-boost would just be agonizing to try to add.

Ch3: I'm still impressed by this strategy.

Ch4: Simon does the fastest damage to this boss, so it's a pretty easy level. Actually though, this is one of the most straight-forward but obscenely frustrating levels to play (at least for me). The jump at the start of Cave Troll room is really tight, nice reflexes with that R.Axe. I tested the divekick after the warp painting thing (a long time ago) and it's essentially a 3 frame difference so no time-loss there.

Ch5: Double pixel-perfect boost on a fast-moving platform? Sure, np. I know this IL took forever, the Harpy shenanigans are ridiculous. The hesitation on the last boss if definitely warranted.

Ch6: I remember a long talk about this run as well. Basically, there are just certain boosts you *have* to hit. Then, there's a ton of smaller ones you want to get as many of. The Dullahan thing was a major let-down, but the Final Guard section is why this run was kept. We decided he'd never get that luck again; he had/has several replays of incredibly smooth first halves followed by 5+ seconds wasted on the second Final Guard, minimum, so it's definitely no concern to me. Shout-outs to me for telling you to use High Mind-ups.

Fun fact: He's only one second behind my Soma time going into Drac's room.

Verdict: Accept. I don't think these will be improved for an incredibly long time.

A note about Ch7-11. 7 is the worst stage in the game for running, it's made PJ and I quit on mulitple occasions. 8 has 4 major corner boosts, one of which is blind luck on which sub-pixel you happen to be standing on, and I don't think there's a good strat for Legion with Simon, but overall the stage is enjoyable and not too bad. 9's been done by both of us. 10 requires the long route (since its no-zips), which we haven't put a lot of time into and are really dreading. 11 isn't bad for Soma, but it's a very difficult stage to do properly. There are tons of corner boosts and they are all really huge, we'd never get a satisfying run.

Btw: