List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Game Page: Doesn't exist yet.

'Persona' and Nicholas 'Sir VG' Hoppe's IL runs

Verifier Responses

Quote:
In the interest of full disclosure, this is Sir VG.  I will NOT be verifying the Block 1 & 4 runs for obvious reasons.  In case it's not clear enough for those reading this text, I'm the runner of the 1 & 4 blocks, and I know they kick ass (though I did get to Darkwing Bat 0.1 seconds behind Persona).

As for the other 6 blocks, I knew about 15 seconds in whose they belong to purely because of the gameplay style.  I recognized them as Persona's runs purely by watching the GAMEPLAY.  Yeah, I know.  I'm awesome that way.

Having watched them hundreds of times before (and using tips from Blocks 1 & 4 in order to beat those levels), I know how instantly awesome they are.

Thanks Persona, for finally resubmitting these so I could submit mine.  You don't know how much I really do appreciate it.  I had a feeling that they were your submissions when I was working on my notes, but wasn't sure, which is why I only name you as "the other runner".

Accepting my Block 1 & 4, and Persona's Blocks 2-3, & 5-8.

Quote:
I'll start with VG's.

Video and audio are fine. No cheating detected.

Stage 1 looks pretty much flawless. Maybe a frame can be knocked off somewhere, but not much else. Same goes for Stage 4. I'm impressed with the beginning of that one, especially. That might be the hardest part of the stage cause everything's tough to kill. Not only does he take damage to get through, but he never stops moving. His boss fight was also much better than Persona's old video.

Speaking of which, Persona's batch are the same ones that have been around for a few years now. I probably verified them before, actually. Because they're so dated (they were originally encoded in WMV, weren't they?), the video quality is low. Blurriness and a reduced framerate. Doesn't make them unwatchable, though.

I didn't see any problems with Stage 2. I liked the extra invincibility at the beginning.

Only problem in Stage 3 was getting hit by the same skeleton twice. I understand he's in a dick spot, but I'm sure at least one of those hits can be avoided. I can let it slide for now, though.

Oh my god, Stage 5 is a bitch. Hardest clock tower ever, most likely. So it makes me happy to see Persona get through it with next to no problems. The werewolf might be able to be beaten quicker, but that would require better luck.

The doppleganger fight in Stage 6 can be improved; I'm sure the hit or two taken could be avoided. If you can keep him on the ground, even better.

Stage 7 is a bitch too. Those blood skeletons are annoying. He may have been able to deal with some of them differently. Otherwise, this a good playthrough, accented by a great Death fight.

He took a hit about halfway through Stage 8, in the first ninja maid room. I think it could've been avoided. Same goes for a clumsy hit by Dracula's second form. The ending didn't have to be that close. Still great, though.

All of them check out. Accept.

Quote:
Hmm, it's really hard to give an opinion on these runs other than saying they were played really well (both runners) although I think time can be shed off from places that require more luck like boss fights. A stage out of the eight that I can see that could shave quite alot of time would be stage seven, but considering the comment from the runner and from watching the video, I can agree that it would be a big pain to get any improvement from it without dying somewhere in the stage.

As for video quality, Sir VG's vids are much better although I heard that Persona has done these vids about five years ago and is still using the over-five-year-old capture card. I hope Persona gets a new capture card and redo his/her vids with better video quality and hopefully beat his/her own records, unless someone else wants to give it a shot (or we can hope that Sir VG would beat them since I think Persona isn't interested in improving them).

My vote is accepted.

Quote:
Mike,

Both runners display exceptional diagonal whipping skill to avoid breaking stride, good use of subweapons to annihilate the bosses, and excellent knowledge of enemy and item placements.  The 8-stage runner had a slight rough spot in stage 3 with one of the blue skeletons, but I think the rest of the stage went well enough to make up for that.

I vote to accept both ILs from the 2-stage folder, and the stages 2-3 and 5-8 from the 8-stage folder.

Decision: Accept

Reason: It's nice to have some Castlevania runs that aren't Metroidvania.
Thread title:  
Fucking Weeaboo
Persona, we did it!  Finally after HOW long do we have our combined efforts for Castlevania Chronicles on the site?

Thanks for resubmitting yours again. Smiley
Edit history:
Persona: 2010-03-01 11:30:07 pm
Castlevania?
Yep, after years and years, it's finally up!  Grin

Big thanks to you too Lord_VG, and all the others (MT, mike, nate, verifiers) for making it happen.

Also looking at my CVC video quality now compared to my more recent captures, I think the main problem was my capture configuration. Hopefully some day I'll go back to this game and capture in much better quality. Tongue
Not a Zelda 2 refrence
just watched it. Nice run, and here I thought all the castelvaina games had a run already. I mean even that crappy fighting game has a run.
Fucking Weeaboo
Oh, we're still missing a bunch.  None of the GB games have a run yet.  Adventure Rebirth is accepted, but not posted.  Haunted Castle isn't done.  Legacy of Darkness has the sidequest, but not the main story run.  I don't think Portrait of Ruin is up either, and Dawn of Sorrow is just a glitched NG+ run.  Plus there's the arcade game which, unless ported to something like the Wii, will never get done.

(And the game nobody wants to remember, Castlevania: Dracula X on the SNES.)
that Metroidvania guy
Quote from Lord_VG:
Haunted Castle isn't done.

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

._.
Not a Zelda 2 refrence
it surprises me no one has done Haunted Castle, surely there's at least one Castlevania speed runner in Japan, I guess if it took us this long to get a Super Castlevania IV run hoping for a Castlevania Legends run is probably unreasonable
Fucking Weeaboo
Doing a little research, Haunted Castle did get released on PS2, but only in Japan.

Legends was a bitch to TAS.  At least it's not as evil as Castlevania: The Adventure.