List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Game Page: http://speeddemosarchive.com/CastlevaniaAdventureRebirth.html

Travis Hofman's normal difficulty run

Verifier Responses

Quote:
Quality checks out, though the video is in widescreen even though the game is not. I think it would be better to crop out the blackspace.

If it weren't for the added boss defense, Stage 1 looks identical to the new Easy mode run. It's flawless.

In the second room of Stage 2 he takes the top route. He's a little slower than the Easy mode run which takes the lower route, but that may be because he got hit. That was close on the last wheel, he nearly missed it. The boss fight was rough.

The bone hit in Stage 3 didn't seem to matter. The spear still had to show up. That bat was a total dick, though. Despite those, he gains a lot of time here. I wonder if, in the second room of the alternate path, you can damage boost off a Medusa Head to skip going to the lower room with the Blood Skeletons and spears. He missed a few axes on the boss due to erratic patterns. If the boss would have cooperated, he might've ended up with a quicker time here. But he ends up with a time just a second slower, which is still pretty impressive.

Despite getting double teamed by a bone and Medusa Head, he had an impressive lead in Stage 4 going into the Golem fight. His time is slower because of the boss fight, but that's Normal for you.

If damaging through the robots is possible, he should probably try at least one in the beginning of Stage 5. They do save a lot of time looking at Easy mode. This isn't his best stage. There are a few hesitation spots and one or two avoidable hits. Missing the meat was pretty bad. The Death fight was okay though.

Perhaps he should try to avoid the fireball powerup in Stage 6. You lose a second from the time freeze. Unfortunate brain fart on Dracula 1. It cost him two hits, and in turn Drac teleported once more than necessary. The hit on Dracula 2 might not have cost him that much. It was perfect otherwise. Dracula 3 looked very good, but probably could've been better if he had those extra few hearts.

All in all, it's a very good run. He's on pace with the Easy mode run many times, which is impressive. There's a lot of new time savers throughout. I'm not going to dock him for the mistakes, even if some of them are dumb.

Accept

Quote:
Overall, I think this is a great run.  Accept.

Quote:
Good quality both a/v.

This run made me cry. It's so much better than my easy mode run, given the difficulty of normal mode. Level 1 was as good as it can be. Level 2 had a couple of things that could be improved, but not by much. I was impressed with the near flawless execution of stage 3 and the excellent play in stage 4 specifically. This will be hard to beat unless other strategies are developed. Taking damage from the Steam Monsters is hard to commit to because stage 5 is a bitch and it's a shame to lose a great run that far in, so I understand the decision to not do so. Death fight was awesome, and aside from the first form screwups, Drac fight was super.

Acceptamundo

Quote:
Stage 2 featured a few spots in there with some dumb mistakes.  Stage 3 and 4 had some minor instances of bad luck and minor mistakes.  Not sure what was up with Stage 6, with going though the trouble of collecting all those hearts and then burning a bunch at the beginning of the Dracula fight.  What was up with that?

Also, the AV encode shouldn't be in widescreen.  The game is NOT widescreen.  And if you run the Wii in 16:9 mode, the game looks like crap.

Overall, a very tight run, mistakes aside.  I loved the shortcut off of the Peeping Eye a short ways after the mini-boss in Stage 5.  That was beautiful.

Accepting.

Decision: Accept

Reason: It humbled one of the previous runners.
Thread title:  
I'd like to state I'm truly excited about having a run hosted here. I was most worried about the stage 6 debacle causing it to be rejected, even with the time savers I display. That might get an award for worst brain fart in a run, or at least honorary mention.

There's something about stage 2 that always caused me to make mistakes. No matter how much I practiced it, they always showed up and in different places every time. For better or worse, I learned to just accept a certain amount of them.

I actually tie the Easy run on stage 3. He collected the fireball powerup at the beginning while I avoided it. That's one second lost that's not on the level timer (since powering up the whip stops the level timer). Unless I don't remember the times correctly.

Ah stage 5. Level of most deaths. I was more cautious here because of that. I just wasn't willing to risk dieing again when I thought I had a good run going for me. That's the only reason I didn't just run through any of the golems or try the pendulum jump of of almost certain doom. You still get knocked back against the golems, you just don't need to whip 4 times to get past them. Actual time saved is uncertain, but I know it's there. I just died somewhere on the level every time I tried it.

Dracula. I found out after I did this run it's actually possible to hit him 4 times per cycle on his first form. You need to throw crosses and get lucky with them hitting between your whip hits. If you can do it twice on normal and hit him 3 times with the whip the rest of the time, you cut out an entire cycle. Not sure about easy or hard. It does take a lot of luck though. Anybody that can produce a run with that in there would be uber awesome in my book.

Last, but certainly not least, thanks verifiers. Your comments are much appreciated.

Also FYI, the the Wii game list displays the best time as 20:26, not the current run's time.