List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Game Page: http://speeddemosarchive.com/CallOfDuty4.html

Sami 'nego' Reinikainen's PC regular difficulty run

Verifier Responses

Quote:
First and foremost, this should be posted in a separate category being both a PC run, and being on campaign mode rather than Arcade mode. There are differences, a few too numerous to mention. But onto the run.

It is very legit. I saw no signs of actual cheating. There are instances of jumping way ahead of the friendly NPC's or jumping onto/off of terrain to get ahead in the level, however this is not cheating, simply being speedy. On any harder difficulty, this run would not have been possible using the same routes. There would be much more enemy spawning, and the runner would have died many many times. So therefore, runs on a higher difficulty will more than likely be slower, unless a new route/glitch is figured out. In short, future runs on harder difficulties should be in a different category. The run presented is very impressive, looks great, it's legit, and room for improvement is slim. Definitely accepted.

Quote:
Video quality is very good. I thought I noticed the sound lagging behind by about a quarter second on a few missions, though I couldn't confirm it for sure. It's either not enough to matter, or I'm just wrong. Also one weird spot, you're supposed to hear "it's a bloody convention out there" at the end of All Ghillied Up, but instead you just here him say some sort of gibberish.

The only complaint I have is that the some of the videos seem to start the instant he has control and end the instant he loses control. This leaves us to trust that he's not starting recording a half second late or ending a half second early.

This is a very good run. He's right about it not being the best game for speedrunning. Most of the mistakes were before sections where you had to wait for your team anyways, so they didn't matter. He fully abuses how many bullets you can take on Regular difficulty, and the randomness of being shot at in this game and charges passed lots of enemies instead of waiting around to kill them.

Except in Sins of the Father. The other run ambushes the enemy immediately instead of waiting until instructed to do so, like this runner did. This give the old run an 8 second head start. Why was this method not copied? The new time is faster overall, but behind when your tower collapses.

I don't know if it's an issue, but this definitely shouldn't obsolete the arcade mode run. Not because it's PC instead of console, but because he segments some of the levels. The other one's segmenting was limited by how many lives you have, so 2 to 4 retries for each segment before you have to restart the whole level. Maybe it's only one segment per level, I'm not sure.

Since he's not doing Arcade mode, he should do the other levels as well, mainly the training mission with the timed room clearing exercise. I guess he can leave out the "after getting nuked" one  Tongue.

Accepted.

Quote:
Sorry it took so long busy Xmas.

Video Quality: Good
Sound Quality: Good
Signs of Cheating: None

Love the new run. Aint going to bother going into great detail just some quick points. Well done was an excellent run.

Blackout: Does it make any difference on how fast you kill the first lot of soldiers. Surely killing them all yourself would mean that Price and Gaz would follow you quicker. Apart from that good run.

All Gillied Up: Excellent shortcut in the crate area really destroys any previous run on this level.

Verdict: Accept.

Decision: Accept

Reason: All of the verifiers agree that the run maximized taking damage to save time.
Thread title:  
rawwr
Thanks to the verifiers for the comments! Here's some answers to some questions:

Quote:
Also one weird spot, you're supposed to hear "it's a bloody convention out there" at the end of All Ghillied Up, but instead you just here him say some sort of gibberish.

Yeah I was wondering about that too. It's not because of Fraps or anything since I heard it in the game when I was recording the run. I guess the sound got bugged somehow since there wasn't any enemies out there and the whole part of the mission was messed up because of the shortcut I took.

Quote:
Except in Sins of the Father. The other run ambushes the enemy immediately instead of waiting until instructed to do so, like this runner did. This give the old run an 8 second head start. Why was this method not copied? The new time is faster overall, but behind when your tower collapses.

I have no idea how I missed this! I remember trying it once on the beginning of my running but I didn't get it to work. I guess I just should have experimented with it a little more.

Quote:
Blackout: Does it make any difference on how fast you kill the first lot of soldiers.

No it doesn't. The time it takes Price to get to the door is fixed, unless you take too long to kill the enemies. I could have killed them faster but I don't remember anymore why I took such a long time. Tested it a couple of times.
AlphaStrategyGui des.com
Quote from negoxe:
Thanks to the verifiers for the comments! Here's some answers to some questions:

Quote:
Also one weird spot, you're supposed to hear "it's a bloody convention out there" at the end of All Ghillied Up, but instead you just here him say some sort of gibberish.

Yeah I was wondering about that too. It's not because of Fraps or anything since I heard it in the game when I was recording the run. I guess the sound got bugged somehow since there wasn't any enemies out there and the whole part of the mission was messed up because of the shortcut I took.

Quote:

I have no idea how I missed this! I remember trying it once on the beginning of my running but I didn't get it to work. I guess I just should have experimented with it a little more.

Quote:
Blackout: Does it make any difference on how fast you kill the first lot of soldiers.

No it doesn't. The time it takes Price to get to the door is fixed, unless you take too long to kill the enemies. I could have killed them faster but I don't remember anymore why I took such a long time. Tested it a couple of times.

Looking forward to the run! Cheesy

With regards to the Guard Tower 'speed trick' on Sins of the Father, immediately after the first truck stops by the tower, it's safe to open up with gun fire. Any sooner and you'll fail the level. Smiley

I'll be grabbing the HQ or IQ version of this run immediately once it's online. Great work again, it's only a shame I never got a chance to verify it... Sad

BTW: Any reason why you never went for Recruit difficulty to ensure the fastest times? If I re-do my run (likely), that's the difficulty I'll be using next time!
I'm curious as to what SDA's policy is on letting runners amend runs in light of verifier comments. There seems to me to be no reason not to let negoxe rerun Sins of the Father and send in a vid of that to swap in for his current one before the run gets published, and I imagine he'd want to after making such an obvious mistake in what by the sounds of it is an otherwise very well executed run (hell, even I knew you could start shooting early, and I've never considered speedrunning this game :P).

And yeah, looking forward to be able to watch this.
Quote from ExplodingCabbage:
I'm curious as to what SDA's policy is on letting runners amend runs in light of verifier comments. There seems to me to be no reason not to let negoxe rerun Sins of the Father and send in a vid of that to swap in for his current one before the run gets published, and I imagine he'd want to after making such an obvious mistake in what by the sounds of it is an otherwise very well executed run (hell, even I knew you could start shooting early, and I've never considered speedrunning this game :P).

And yeah, looking forward to be able to watch this.

He can rerun the level if there are no continuity issues arise from doing so.
Edit history:
negoxe: 2009-01-15 03:05:30 pm
rawwr
Quote from mikwuyma:
He can rerun the level if there are no continuity issues arise from doing so.

Hell yeah I'm going to rerun the mission since it's possible. There won't be any continuity issues since none of the missions affect eachother. It should be done within the next couple days.

Quote:
BTW: Any reason why you never went for Recruit difficulty to ensure the fastest times? If I re-do my run (likely), that's the difficulty I'll be using next time!

I really don't think Recruit would have made the run much faster. Even with Regular I didn't stop at anything. You will see when the run is released ;). Ofcourse Recruit would have helped with One shot One kill mission since you have to wait a shorter time for the helicopter but other than that I can't think of anything. And on top of everything, there's a huge cap between regular and recruit which makes the run more "impressive". I also had more fun doing it with Regular.

Edit: Ok I just redid the mission and I improved it by 31 seconds (???). New time 4:57. Thanks for pointing out this mistake of mine.
One question, does the campaign have an in-game timer like the arcade mode? Is that how you got the time?
Edit history:
negoxe: 2009-01-16 12:32:29 pm
rawwr
Quote from mikwuyma:
One question, does the campaign have an in-game timer like the arcade mode? Is that how you got the time?

No the campaign doesn't have a timer. I've calculated the time from the moment you get control, to the moment you lose it. The thing is though that in the arcade mode the timer doesn't work always the same way. For example in the One shot One kill mission the timer stops when you enter the helicopter but you do have mouse control while you are inside the helicopter for like 30 seconds until the mission really ends.

Edit:

Ok I watched all the videos from the arcade mode run and here's how the timing differs from mine. The way I've timed my run is from the moment the loading screen vanishes, to the moment the screen turns black (mission ends). Now if you want to compare my times to the arcade mode, you need to remove these amounts of time from my video times (I've cut the videos so that the video time is the same as the mission time):

crew expendable: 10sec
one shot one kill: 39sec
sins of the father: 26sec
game over: 3min 19sec

I don't know how you will calculate my time though. Will you be using the method I've been using, or will you do it the same way as in Arcade mode?
I'm guessing that they'll do it the same way as the arcade mode run, not because it's the better way (I think yours is the better way for a non-arcade mode run, but that when doing an arcade mode one the on-screen timer should be used) but simply becasue it allows a fair comparison with the arcade mode run.

That's unless this obsoletes the arcade mode run (I don't believe it does?) in which case your timing should be used.

IMO.
That's unless this obsoletes the arcade mode run (I don't believe it does?) in which case your timing should be used.

It won't.
The runner improved the level, "sins of the father" in response to the verifiers' comments.

Here are the responses:

Quote:
Well, I approved it before.... and now it's better! I really hope this one doesn't get improved, because there's what appears to be a really random moment where his buddy in the tower attempts to throw a grenade, and instead drops it at his feet, and the runner has to pick it up and throw it or die. Accepted, obviously.

Quote:
The run is legit, and an improvement. Accepted.

There was another verifier who accepted the improvement, but I can't find his message.
AlphaStrategyGui des.com
Any idea when this is going online? I'm getting impatient waiting for it!  Tongue
Complete. Global. Saturation.
Quote from Andrew_Mills:
Any idea when this is going online? I'm getting impatient waiting for it!  Tongue

Wait like the rest of us! Angry

Really though, there are a ton of games that need to be encoded and uploaded. It could be online within the week, or it might take two or three more.
Generic Text
Like I said in the Mario Sunshine topic, whenever Enhasa can think of a "witty" gimmick news update involving this run and another one. It's sad, and maybe infuriating, but it's true. Sad
Run, you pigeons. It's Robert Frost!
Quote from System Error:
Like I said in the Mario Sunshine topic, whenever Enhasa can think of a "witty" gimmick news update involving this run and another one. It's sad, and maybe infuriating, but it's true. Sad

....l o .....l?
Quote from System Error:

No, it's more like when I get around to it. What is your problem anyways?
Generic Text
Nothing, just felt like taking a cheap shot at him. It seems that ever since he started working with the site, every update has been in the "two at a time, weird gimmick" format (except for the one time there was three). Not that I have a problem with the work he's putting in - I can respect that and even find the updates amusing at times - I just miss the days of however-many-runs-there-are-updates (I remember one that had 7 runs!). That's it. Nothing more.

Also, I thought it was in needs-to-be-uploadedsville, not...err...what do you need to do with the run? >_> Whatever the case, eh. Doesn't matter much. Smiley
Okay, fair enough, though I'm sure you know the reason why Enhasa updates with two runs at a time is to ensure a steady flow of runs.

I'm glad we could kiss and make up. Kiss
AlphaStrategyGui des.com
No update yet?  Cry Cry
Yarr
The comments are already available on the game page.

Quote from Enhasa:
It's not supposed to be available because it's not published yet. Pretend it's not there in the HTML. The link will work when the run is actually published on Tuesday.

Weeeeee Grin
LOL nego, according to your probabilities the odds of you seuccessfully pulling off The Bog are 1 in 2222. Did it really take that many tries?
rawwr
LOL nego, according to your probabilities the odds of you seuccessfully pulling off The Bog are 1 in 2222. Did it really take that many tries?

Throughout the whole speedrunning, I attempted this mission over 1000 times. I didn't do it all in a row, but 100 tries like every week. The Bog is just so bugged for speedrunning.
Waiting hurts my soul...
I'm impressed by your patience for doing a level that many times.  I got tired of my latest segment after only 350... almost makes me go back and squeeze out the last few seconds... almost.
AlphaStrategyGui des.com
Let me be the first to congratulate you, having watched the entire run, I was genuinely impressed by the new time saving tricks you used. And I personally tip my hat off to you for that All Ghillied Up run, which was simply beautiful (especially that ingenious shortcut).  Shocked Shocked

It's certainly got me wanting to improve my 360 arcade mode run in HD, but I'll have to see if I can get the time to put one together. Excellent work nego, excellent work...  8) 8)
Edit history:
ridd3r.: 2009-03-26 03:14:24 pm
we have lift off
Looks like a great game, very cinematic, I haven't really played many new games for a few years. Very nice abuse of taking damage, enjoyable run.