List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
1-Up!
Game Page: Doesn't exist yet

Segmented any% run

Verifier Responses

Quote:
To start, most commentary is informative to be interesting, but the commentary in this run is a pretty perfect blend of the two.  Much appreciated.  That being said, I only checked out the direct capture audio for a little bit, and it seemed OK.  Visuals are good, too.  No cheating.

S1: Mostly cutscene.  Nothing of note.
S2: I guess when you have a huge stockpile of Herbs, this boss seems pretty pathetic.  Seems like there were a lot of counters going for the runner, so that's helpful.  Good idea rolling the F.Stn (didn't know you could get one right here).  Anyone who complains about the overuse of Mrbl3 is missing the point of speedrunning.  It is unfortunate that the runner has to use a new Mrbl3 before the old one wears off, since there would be an annoying popup text to let you know that it's gone.  Being proactive about them probably only saves seconds over the whole run, but it helps nonetheless.
S3: Time spent getting B.Stn and C.Stn is totally worth it in the boss fight.  I wonder if the runner is counting steps for Mrbl3 or if they just have a good idea of where each one should run out.
S4: I'm pretty sure Romero was named after the director, what with the whole zombie issue.  This whole Nina segment is usually really daunting and drags out, so seeing the runner just walk past it all makes me wonder why I wasted so much of my life having Nina use E.Keys.  I guess the two Death fights are non-random if you can plan the key use/death manipulation like that.
S5: Good battle plan by the wizard!
S6: Once again, good planning/luck to set up quick deaths.
S7: Lotsa walkin.  That misleading treasure chest is weak.
S8: Death abuse helps again.
S9: Manipulating the crit here shaves a lot of time.  Putting it at the beginning of such a long segment seems "risky," but it's no biggie when all you're doing is walking around.
S10: I was initially apprehensive about if you were going to also have this boss fight at the end of the last segment, but you didn't and I'm glad.  Great work finding a good tactic for surviving here at such low levels.
S11: Some bad, not-terrible luck against the Sand Worm, since the runner has to heal Nina.  I wonder if having Nina use the E.Key would save a turn, assuming she didn't have to heal as much.
S12: Two crits with the dragon is pretty.  There's really not much to talk about when the majority of the run is just walking around.
S13: Didn't know about that death skip on the boat.  Seems like lazy programming. Where the hell did you grab that TideHT from (this is a serious question)?
S14: Good boss fights (again), great planning with Nina's leveling.  I do doubt the value of the B.Rang, though.
S15: Yeah, I don't know if the B.Rang is worth the detour and whatnot.
S16: More good boss fights.  Yep.
S17: Slow segment.  The volcano area is the most useless thing in this game.
S18: Prelude to the boring third act of the game...
S19: Cort's dungeon is so bland.  Roach and Fly fights are great.  Still not sold on the B.Rang though.
S20: That's a really solid Flower fight.  Too bad crits aren't that common otherwise.
S21: Cort fight is close but quick.  It's unfortunate that these 4 generals have an increasingly boring method to them.
S22: Dream World is step 2 in the boring death of this game's story.  Good stuff with the gas fields.
S23: How many turns did Mogu go without taking poison damage?  I thought it always did damage at the end of the victim's turn.
S24: God I hated this tower.  The lack of fights to break up the monotony of walking around really drives home how unfun this location is/was. Powering through Mote without getting to his high defense phase is not something I would have thought of, and it makes this fight way more approachable.  Cute end to the segment.
S25: Know what's better than doing the Tock climb once?  Doing it multiple times for no real reason!  Oh well.
S26: Is swapping Bo to the front of the party worth it to skip walking around the trees outside of Carmen?  As for the W.Ant, I think you can roll animals outside of Gant without needing random encounters, which could include a white deer.  Getting the W.Ant after Shin is a possibility, but it's only going to save a few seconds in the long run.
S27: Long, semi-risky segment totally pays off.
S28: Nice long segment.  Agni is basically easy mode, so the rest of this run is pretty much on cruise control.  Getting the I Claw is probably the most annoying non-dungeon task in this whole game.
S29: Too bad all of these slams are useless with Agni.  I know it's not practical, but would Puka + Rudra + whatever do more damage per turn than Agni?

Anyway, solid run. Lot's of walking.  No real room for improvements aside from luck manipulation.  No real concerns aside from that Mothro fight, but that's probably just me.

ACCEPT

Quote:
Just finished watching, and i must say that im really impressed with your work here, the luck manipulation done and the route planning was as optimal as a human can get IMO. I can't say very much since the run is very solid.

As the verifier above said, i think that MAYBE Puka is faster, but Puka alone. Puka can take a little bit less of hits than Agni but his animation is really faster, though, he can only do as much damage as Agni with his rolling attack (not sure how much damage his normal attack would do). And Puka take as much time as Agni to get and maybe less since you won't do any fights to get it.

Anyway, great run, hope you keep the good work.

Quote:
Alright here is my verification for Breath of Fire.

Video: Quality is very good for a verification copy.
Audio: Very good as well
Audio Commentary: Informative while comedic at the same time. Definitely worth listening to.

For the purpose of this verification, I will call the Hero either Hero or [ ]

Segment 1: While the runner calls the Hero Blankman, I prefer to call him <insert your name here>, like how Doom Guy is meant to be you. If this run didn't require all the Mrbl3's it needed, then I would of said to save it Drogen just so he wouldn't need to sit through the beginning cutscene over and over again. Nevertheless, a clean segment.

Segment 2: Manipulating that F.Stn drop must of been a pain in the ass due to the long trip and boss. I spot a noticeable mistake outside Nanai. You wait longer than you need to get in. You could of walked in soon as you arrived and the guards would of been asleep. You lost about 5 seconds here waiting so it is kinda miniscule, but still something that should be pointed out.

Segment 3: Good Knight fight since he didn't recover. I hate how you're sent back to Camlon for a small talk and then you gotta walk all the way back to where Nanai was to get to Winlan. I like how if you stay in the castle's basement long enough you can get a Game Over. I hate Nina but like her in this game compared to 2 and 3 where they made her an Offensive Mage instead of a Healer/Buffer. Similar to what Verifier 1 asked, I am wondering if the runner is counting the amount of steps or if constantly redoing the segments helped him to know where to reuse a Mrbl3. If the runner isn't counting the steps, it takes 127 steps till the Mrbl3 is gone, if anyone cares to know that doesn't.

Segment 4: While it doesn't matter in a speedrun, I hate how the 2 soldiers cannot level up at all. It makes them even more useless for this portion of the game. Morte and Mortea went well, especially the end of Mortea. Obligatory Hopeless Boss Fight ensues before [ ] is back in the picture. I'm surprise he didn't start choking the Queen of Winlan about his items.

Segment 5: Definitely good luck on the Wizard fight since all he did was use Petrify, except on the first turn unfortunately, but still good since there's little healing necessary. Nothing wrong in this segment

Segment 6: I wonder how the hell [ ] overworked the saw on a single tree. The General fight made me wonder about him but since there's no difference between going Pog->General or just General, there's really no point in fighting Pog at all even in normal play.

Segment 7: Boring fetch quest. Never knew about that 900 gold chest not giving it to you. Good ol' Capcom. Woah Dr. Wily, what are you doing here?

Segment 8: Close battle with Wisp but good thing he doesn't have a Second Wind. I wonder if saving in Romero on Segment 7 was worth it since the runner could of saved a bit of time by dying in Agua and being sent to Tuntar(Or is it Tantar? I can never tell). Then again, considering how close Wisp was, maybe it was worth it for manipulating the battle.

Segment 9: Easy boss fight and another fetch quest.

Segment 10: @#$% @#$% @#$% @#$% GREMLIN!! When I rented this game as a kid, he was That One Boss for me. Then again, as a kid, I never bothered using healing items or spells. I was never a fan of them for some reason. Although when I beat him I was so happy. And then there was the 65000 for the G. Bar........

The discovery by Dragondarch was definitely a good one to make the boss more bearable for this speedrun. I'm surprised the runner didn't bother saving earlier after defeating the Gremlin. I would of just so I wouldn't have to deal with him.

Segment 11: First a meh boss and a horrible boss...I love how Eyespy questions your humanity when YOU'RE A FREAKING DRAGON!! Then again I follow the Cutscene rule: If it's not in a cutscene, whatever happens never really happens, so it'd make sense for him to question it...sorta. Hurray for Karn, the 2nd best member of the game. Good ol' death abuse warping.

Segment 12: I find the name Cloud odd, but I'll get to it later. Good fight overall. I find the G. Bar in the cave between Auria and Bleak to be a slap in the face. THE HELL CAPCOM!?

Segment 13: If it wasn't for the run while being worked on, I would of never knew about skipping the battles while on the ship. During the parts where you control Gobi, I was wondering why you didn't use death abuse warp, and the same with the part of cleaning the ship of Dark Dragons. I'm guessing this is to save gold for Mrbl1s? Also, why are they called Dark Dragons when they changed into freaking Crabs, and Gremlins, and other weird things?

Segment 14: For Toad, why not make Nina kiss it to turn it into a good prince? Ok that was a lame joke. B. Rang...I loved this weapon...until I got the 2nd Tier of Dragons. Since you don't get those yet, this is definitely a good weapon when fighting multiple foes. And then comes Shin, which is one reason why Karn is number 2 on my list.

Segment 15: Should of used Flame Dragon and made Fried Grimfowl...ok I'll stop now. I never bothered with weaknesses most of the time but it's good to see they deal some nice damage with the damage boost. Slimes must of been fun since it's a 2 parter somewhat and [ ] came close to dying.

Segment 16: Ok so like I mentioned for Segment 12, I find Cloud's name to be off. I can understand Wisp being the weakest one, but why is Myst stronger than Cloud? Maybe it's the Y, the Y must of made it better. Introducing Deis Bleu, my 3rd favorite character. I'm glad she reappears in 2 as a playable character, even though she is pretty broken. More death abuse warping!

Segment 17: I once thought the Volcano was an end-game dungeon, or near-end game. It's only the halfway point when I found out. I blame the other file I played with that was at the end of the game. Pincher goes down fast due to his lightning weakness. I wonder if instead of using that Mrbl1 here he could of just had Bleu use Fry to deal 120 damage while ThrDr dealt 195, and instead use the Mrbl1 later on. I can't really think of a possible different place to use it(Maybe Mothro?) so maybe it was better to just use this one.

Segment 18: Luck Manipulation at it's finest. I'll say this much, the DarkDr is easily one of the hardest items to get, along with the LightningRp and the Mallet. I never knew about the Flea Market option until a few years ago sadly.

Segment 19: Cort is lame. Roaches suck. GREMLI-oh it's just a RugaX, he's easy. I wonder how rats learned to speak to humans, or develop a cure to make someone grow back to their normal size. Then again they probably stole it from Cort or....maybe he injected the rats with it and..........moving on, another fetch quest begins! I always used to go to the Frog Cave before fighting the Fly since I didn't know you could fight the Fly that early.

Segment 20: [ ] is such a great gardener and explosion maker. RugaX 2 is pretty easy again. 2 boss battles in less than 5 minutes, pretty good.

Segment 21: You'd think you'd start fighting Dragons when fighting these guys. Cort goes down well by abusing his "I HATE THE LEFT!!" mechanic. The poor Cure gets a second of spotlight before being forgotten. Although it's better to have it just in case and not use it then not get it and somewhere later need it. Also, I wanna stab the Tunlan princess. The music doesn't suit the fighting either.

Segment 22: Mole.....s.....MOLEYMOLEYMOLEYMOLEYMOLES! Mogu's dreams are werd. Why couldn't he be dreaming something interesting like winning the lottery or Dig Dug? Thus comes a moment of "OUR COURAGE WILL PULL US THROUGH!", and the most worthless character in this game(In my opinion) is obtained.

Segment 23: 3500 damage is a lot when you can't see the enemy's health bar in a game that lets you for just about everything else. Maybe it's to keep with the Nightmare theme of "The monster lives on while the person is dreaming that it cannot die" or something. And thus Mogu is now in our party in the real world. The Root was one of the 2 items I never knew where to get for that stupid Tonic. It made me feel dumb when I found it...oh and the C. Nut was the other item. That tower climb is interesting with all the different enemies you can fight, even though most of them are mooks you already have passed after hitting Winlan.

Segment 24: I like how a Pot is what contains the Dragon Lord. Maybe he's a Genie? QUICK THROW HIM AGAINST THE WALL! I always hated the spinning platforms. Talk about a headache. Mote was one of the craziest boss fights due to how he looks, and when you see what he really looks like, it makes me wonder WHY HE'S NOT A DRAGON. For the fight, I counted 11 hits. Very good.

For those who do not know, Mote has a blur count of 15. When you hit him with a Physical Attack, the counter goes down by 1. When the counter hits 0, Mote's defense jumps to 320, making Physical Attack useless, but Magic Attacks work better here. Hitting Mote with a Magic Attack will deal 6.75% of normal damage and increase the counter by 2. I'm surprised the runner didn't include this in his run comments, so I figured I'd post this here for those who are reading the thread once Flip posts this. Speaking of Flip, HI FLIP!!! (Not many verifiers do that often, so why not?)

I'm surprised I never noticed this before, but the name Tock....considering it's involvement with the Time Key, makes a lot of sense for it's name. I'm wondering about Carmen though. Maybe when Square translated the game they thought "Where in Time is Carmen Sandiego."

Segment 25: Back to Tock to clean the clock of someone named Cerl. Seriously, what is she supposed to be? She just looks...freakish. Good amount of Slams to make the fight faster.

Segment 26: I found this part to be sad, even though Cerl deserved what was coming to her. The music didn't help either. And thus a time distortion was created again. I found it odd that the Blue Nina can be seen while Pink Nina is in your party after Gobi can become a giant fish. Does this mean you went back in time?  Naaaah. Huh wait....Dr. Wily is now an actual Doctor?! What the hell?!

Segment 27: Since this is the Dragon Gaining Segment, thought I'd point out that the Slab you mentioned is in the Well west of Tantar and reads "It is written in an ancient language... ...Where the mystic water lies, the ultimate power sleeps." It can be a bit of a nod to where you got the Cleansing Water for Romero since it is "mystic" per se.  Mrbl1's made the fights ridiculously easier, although Avian almost had you. Sucks that Rudra's portrait is never seen since it does look like a good Dragon form. But of course, the star of the game shows up: Agni!

Oh and of course stupid Parts scavenging for the tower of Scande.

Segment 28: I think you only got Zog's flame attack once, which is impressive. Zog goes down easily thanks to Agni. FINALLY A DARK DRAGON THAT ACTUALLY TRANSFORMS INTO A DRAGON!!!

SARA!!! WE'VE COME TO SAV-oh you bitch....

Sara fight is simple thanks to D.Hrt knocking her HP to 1. I think it's dependent on the type of Dragon it's used on or something. Or maybe I'm overthinking this....Yup I'm overthinking this. And then Jade blows the ground up from under you and you somehow wind up in Drogen. And then begins the last and most annoying and stupid fetch quest of the game.

I have a personal complaint for this segment and the next one: I wanted the other person you had for audio commentary to be there!

Segment 29: Same thing as the last thing I said for 28. We're finally in the end-game dungeon and our first fight is with.........Stoneman?! Wait a minute.... Wily....Stoneman......Arthur.....Chun-Li............Capcom how many more references to your other games are you gonna throw in?!?

The fight with Stoneman goes as best as it can considering he attacks so slowly with that one attack and Agni can only hit for 999 every turn. I think the room with the 6 Hearts might have to do with sealing Tyr. The slabs in front of them look like locks for the 6 Keys.

Now we fight Jad-COME ON! HE COULDN'T BE A DRAGON EITHER?!?! Definitely good luck on his fight as he only used spells twice.

I think Sara tells you to use Agni anyway even if you don't have it. I'd need to check it out. Either way, my first time fighting her and I used Agni, I thought she was going to die fast, and then I just kept attacking and attacking and attacking. For a Goddess, she looks more like a freaking alien. Unfortunately she's lame as she doesn't have many attacks that are worth worrying about. You'd think a boss that requires the ultimate Dragon power would be more powerful.

A few things to note from your AC during the Credits: Capcom asked Square to do the translation as they never released an RPG to the Western world, and because they were already working on Breath of Fire 2 at the time. Or so I read. I never noticed the credits having only the English Translators names in them until you pointed it out. Then again, I never paid attention to it.

Verdict: Accept. Besides a minor hiccup in segment 2, a few times running into the wall, and an unnecessary Cure, the run won't get much faster without near perfect luck-manipulation.

Quote:
Breath of Fire: The Adventures of Blankman

Okay, so I'm writing this in between appellate briefs, so I have to be quick about it Tongue

Audio/Video - Good
Cheating: None detected

Comments:  I always love watching Speed Runs of RPGs and this one didn't disappoint.  I don't have much to add to the people above me, but the audio commentary was AMAZINGLY helpful for understanding what the runner was doing to save time, or the luck manipulation needed in certain sections.

This run also shows off just how amazingly broken Agni is.

Verdict:  An awesome speed run with very few nitpicky points mentioned above AND the best ending to the game?  Yeah...easy freakin' ACCEPT.

Quote:
Game: Breath of Fire
Cheating: None.
Audio/Video: Everything looked fine, except in segment 13 the graphics get really screwy when the party is in the water and the screen is spinning in circles.

Thoughts: There's not a lot I can say about this that the other verifiers haven't already said. It was extremely well optimized, and it seemed that every time saver was taken for the most part. Luck was manipulated to the highest degree and there were VERY few mistakes, none of which cost any significant amount of time. To be honest, there were parts of the run that looked like a TAS with the sheer luck manipulation.

Segment by segment:
2 - I'm a bit surprised he didn't fight Frog at level 1. It's entirely doable. The fight to get to level 2 cost 13 seconds, but I'm not 100% sure if the frog fight would would be 13 seconds slower at level 1.
3 - Good strat against General.
4 - Ooh, nice letting Nina and Sr-1 die during the Morteo fight to speed up dying to Wizard.
5 - Ha! Awesome Wizard luck. Petrify! Petrify! Petrify! Petrify! Petrify! Petrify! Petrify!
8 - Nice luck with everyone's HP after Wisp allowing for quick death abuse.
9 - HOLY HELL @ the Cntr Slam against General v2!
10 - Heh, I was even mentioned in the audio commentary.
11 - EyeSpy Mrbl1'd to death.
13 - I'm on a boat!
13 - I love the fact that like 95% of all purchases made are buying Mrbls (pronouced mur-bull)
16 - Good use of underwater death warping.
19 - Was gonna question not getting the next tier of dragons now, but he explains why he doesn't in a later segment.
23 - Ugh...he mentioned the game I have to run for the Bad games exchange.
24 - loldeathabuse
28 - In the audio commentary he mentions that you can only get the Tri-Rang while Pagoda is standing...this is incorrect. I've always gone and gotten it just as soon as I could fly.
29 - Agni is soooooooo OP...

Decision: Major Accept. Seriously, some of the luck he had was close to TAS level. GET THIS RUN UP NAO!

Quote:
Well, not much to say about this run. When the only thing that you can really complain about is the runner running into a wall/cliff/outer space inadvertently once in a while, you know you've got a damn good speed run on your hands. Verification here was little more than a formality.. accept!

Decision: Accept

Congratulations to Greg '__sdfg' Singer!
Thread title:  
Is PJ
Congrats __sdfg!  I enjoyed watching the segments as you posted them.  I'm looking forward to watching this again with commentary.
D:
Holy shit, this got six verifiers in like two days.

Thanks for the compliments, everyone, and the encouragement during the run.  I'll come back later and respond to what I'm interpreting as questions in the verification comments when I can type more than a couple sentences witHOUT BREAKING INTO ALL CAPS
Sandbagging
Congrats on the accept _sdfg! Can't wait to hear your audio commentary on these either Smiley
There's a word for that
Oh boy oh boy oh boy
The Gaming Lawyer
Quote from Exo:
Congrats on the accept _sdfg! Can't wait to hear your audio commentary on these either Smiley

It's REALLY good Wink  I was the fourth verifier and the whole run is awesome to watch,  but the commentary makes it that much better.  RPG speed runs are sometimes hard to watch for hours without some kind of commentary for sure.
Edit history:
__sdfg: 2011-11-20 11:47:25 am
D:
Okay, here comes the gianthugepost!

Quote from Verifier 1:
I wonder if the runner is counting steps for Mrbl3 or if they just have a good idea of where each one should run out.

I memorized landmarks for when to use them.  Counting is hard.

Quote from Verifier 1:
Some bad, not-terrible luck against the Sand Worm, since the runner has to heal Nina.  I wonder if having Nina use the E.Key would save a turn, assuming she didn't have to heal as much.

Yeah, when I was checking things post-encoding, this fight seemed kinda lame.  I haven't done the math on what the E.Key would've done, but I think I would've been happier if I could've kept auto-battling for a few turns at a time.

Quote from Verifier 1:
Where the hell did you grab that TideHT from (this is a serious question)?

It's in the chest of drawers to the left of Morteo.  I pick it up just before talking to him.

Quote from Verifier 1:
I do doubt the value of the B.Rang, though.

The B.Rang is a mandatory pickup.  The Weapons Master won't do anything for you unless you have it.  If it hadn't been mandatory, I probably would have skipped it, as I agree that it doesn't save quite enough time to be worth the trip back into the Krypt.

Quote from Verifier 1:
I thought [poison] always did damage at the end of the victim's turn.

Poison damage is done at the end of the party's turn, regardless of when the victim acts.  I double-checked the frequency in an emulator and it seems to happen every third turn after the member is poisoned.  Mothro dies just before Mogu would've taken poison damage a second time. 

Quote from Verifier 1:
Is swapping Bo to the front of the party worth it to skip walking around the trees outside of Carmen?

I don't think it makes much difference either way.  Swapping might be slightly faster if you're really good with the menus.  It's been a long while since I timed that.

Quote from Verifier 1:
As for the W.Ant, I think you can roll animals outside of Gant without needing random encounters, which could include a white deer.

I believe you.  I hadn't seen it happen myself, so I didn't try for it.

Quote from Verifier 1:
I know it's not practical, but would Puka + Rudra + whatever do more damage per turn than Agni?

Yes, mainly if Puka uses his rolling attack.  I really wish there were a way to manipulate Puka into using it every turn.

Quote from Verifier 3:
I spot a noticeable mistake outside Nanai. You wait longer than you need to get in. You could of walked in soon as you arrived and the guards would of been asleep. You lost about 5 seconds here waiting so it is kinda miniscule, but still something that should be pointed out.

I did wait too long -- the town would still be dimly lit if I had timed things perfectly -- but I would not have been able to walk in as soon as I arrived.  Some waiting is necessary.  I decided it would be better to wait too long than not to wait long enough and have to redo the Frog fight.

I agree that it should be pointed out.

Quote from Verifier 3:
I wonder if saving in Romero on Segment 7 was worth it since the runner could of saved a bit of time by dying in Agua and being sent to Tuntar(Or is it Tantar? I can never tell).

I have to go to the Stone Robot at the beginning of Segment 9, when the Robot is still at the north end of the map.  I don't think Agua is significantly farther away than T(a/u)ntar.  It might even be closer.

Quote from Verifier 3:
I'm surprised the runner didn't bother saving earlier after defeating the Gremlin. I would of just so I wouldn't have to deal with him.

Believe me, I really wanted to save there, but it would've added at least 20 seconds to the run and I didn't think I'd be able to save that much time optimizing the rest of the segment.  It doesn't help that the game lets the party out of the robot even further south than where the party got in.

Quote from Verifier 3:
During the parts where you control Gobi, I was wondering why you didn't use death abuse warp, and the same with the part of cleaning the ship of Dark Dragons.

It actually isn't that far from the island to Prima.  If I'd gotten in a fight immediately after leaving the island and died on the first turn, I might have been able to save a few seconds, especially if I'd used the trip to the save point as an excuse to further optimize the Morteo fight.  However, I didn't want to have to manipulate that kind of luck at that point in the segment.  I didn't try to abuse death on the way back from Gant because the monsters in that area are especially weak.

I didn't abuse death on the way back from the Dark Dragons' pier because that would've healed my party completely and I wanted to die on the boat.

Quote from Verifier 3:
Maybe it's the Y, the Y must of made it better.

Changing vowels to 'y's unnecessarily makes yvyrwthyng byttyr.

Quote from Verifier 3:
I wonder if instead of using that Mrbl1 here he could of just had Bleu use Fry to deal 120 damage while ThrDr dealt 195, and instead use the Mrbl1 later on

I double-checked my notes on this one.  The strategy that I followed was the fastest of the ones that I tried by at least 8 seconds or so.  However, it looks like I mainly tried messing with the first turn, where Ryu is transforming.  I think you're right that having someone else help finish Pincher off wouldn't have been much slower and would've freed up a Mrbl1.  I guess I could have thrown that at Mothro or something.  Good catch.

Quote from Verifier 3:
I have a personal complaint for this segment and the next one: I wanted the other person you had for audio commentary to be there!

So did I.  It was logistically impossible without waiting another month or two for both of us to have a free weekend.

Quote from Verifier 5:
Audio/Video: Everything looked fine, except in segment 13 the graphics get really screwy when the party is in the water and the screen is spinning in circles.

Sorry about that.  The Mode 7 chip on my SNES was buggered, and it had been long enough since I'd played that part of the game on a working system or an emulator that I honestly didn't remember what that scene was supposed to look like.  I didn't catch the problem until I got to the room where Cort shrinks the party and saw that the floor wasn't being drawn.

Quote from Verifier 5:
I'm a bit surprised he didn't fight Frog at level 1. It's entirely doable. The fight to get to level 2 cost 13 seconds, but I'm not 100% sure if the frog fight would would be 13 seconds slower at level 1.

I really wanted the extra HP as they allowed me to go one more turn between Herbs.  I think cutting out a couple Herb-using turns saved me at least 13 seconds.  I didn't put as much effort into optimizing a level 1 fight as I did into the level 2 fight, though, so I'm not 100% sure, either.

Quote from Verifier 5:
Ugh...he mentioned the game I have to run for the Bad games exchange.

I don't know if it helps, but I didn't know that the game adaptation existed when I recorded the commentary. Tongue

Quote from Verifier 5:
In the audio commentary he mentions that you can only get the Tri-Rang while Pagoda is standing...this is incorrect. I've always gone and gotten it just as soon as I could fly.

Shows what I know. >_<  In my defense, I didn't have much incentive to research this given how close I was to getting Agni at that point anyway.  Still, good to know.

Thanks again, everyone!
Last verifier here.. and 'grats! This was an excellent run, and the audio commentary was awesome to listen to!
We all scream for Eyes Cream
Quote from __sdfg:
Quote from Verifier 3:
I spot a noticeable mistake outside Nanai. You wait longer than you need to get in. You could of walked in soon as you arrived and the guards would of been asleep. You lost about 5 seconds here waiting so it is kinda miniscule, but still something that should be pointed out.

I did wait too long -- the town would still be dimly lit if I had timed things perfectly -- but I would not have been able to walk in as soon as I arrived.  Some waiting is necessary.  I decided it would be better to wait too long than not to wait long enough and have to redo the Frog fight.

I agree that it should be pointed out.

I compared both the times you arrived and when you entered to Janus's TAS, and when he arrived, it was still daytime and went in as the sun was just starting to set, while in your run, it around sunset and you went in around the time night begins.

Quote:
Quote from Verifier 3:
I wonder if saving in Romero on Segment 7 was worth it since the runner could of saved a bit of time by dying in Agua and being sent to Tuntar(Or is it Tantar? I can never tell).

I have to go to the Stone Robot at the beginning of Segment 9, when the Robot is still at the north end of the map.  I don't think Agua is significantly farther away than T(a/u)ntar.  It might even be closer.

I checked Guard Master's World Map. While not the best example in judging distance, it seems T(a/u)ntar might be closer, but I'm trying to remember the path to get into the area where the robot is.

Quote from Verifier 3:
I'm surprised the runner didn't bother saving earlier after defeating the Gremlin. I would of just so I wouldn't have to deal with him.

Believe me, I really wanted to save there, but it would've added at least 20 seconds to the run and I didn't think I'd be able to save that much time optimizing the rest of the segment.  It doesn't help that the game lets the party out of the robot even further south than where the party got in.[/quote]

I was mainly referring to Auria instead of Bleak(or Tar) for saving, though considering you also need to get the dragon transformation, and getting it is not that difficult, so a breather period in the same segment is good. Then again, I'm afraid to ask how many segments were ended because of the dragon transformations.

Quote:
Quote from Verifier 3:
During the parts where you control Gobi, I was wondering why you didn't use death abuse warp, and the same with the part of cleaning the ship of Dark Dragons.

It actually isn't that far from the island to Prima.  If I'd gotten in a fight immediately after leaving the island and died on the first turn, I might have been able to save a few seconds, especially if I'd used the trip to the save point as an excuse to further optimize the Morteo fight.  However, I didn't want to have to manipulate that kind of luck at that point in the segment.  I didn't try to abuse death on the way back from Gant because the monsters in that area are especially weak.

I didn't abuse death on the way back from the Dark Dragons' pier because that would've healed my party completely and I wanted to die on the boat.

Pier makes sense, as does the return from Gant. I figured at first that you didn't use death abuse to save money for Mrbl1's.

Quote:
Quote from Verifier 3:
Maybe it's the Y, the Y must of made it better.

Changing vowels to 'y's unnecessarily makes yvyrwthyng byttyr.

Y tytylly ygryy wyth yyy.

Quote:
Quote from Verifier 3:
I wonder if instead of using that Mrbl1 here he could of just had Bleu use Fry to deal 120 damage while ThrDr dealt 195, and instead use the Mrbl1 later on

I double-checked my notes on this one.  The strategy that I followed was the fastest of the ones that I tried by at least 8 seconds or so.  However, it looks like I mainly tried messing with the first turn, where Ryu is transforming.  I think you're right that having someone else help finish Pincher off wouldn't have been much slower and would've freed up a Mrbl1.  I guess I could have thrown that at Mothro or something.  Good catch.

I figured the Mrbl1 would have a better use in the later part, especially since Mothro can be a bit annoying sometimes, especially with how his health is.

Quote:
Quote from Verifier 3:

So did I.  It was logistically impossible without waiting another month or two for both of us to have a free weekend.

With that, I blame Dinkleberg and curse Zoidberg.

Great job sdfg. You actually stuck with this for these past two years and put together a great speed run. Having thrown my hat into the fray, I can definitely appreciate how many times some of the segments must have taken to get the results you got. People that are pointing out the tiny mistakes certainly have every right to be nit-picky, but they should realize that some of these segments require hundreds of attempts for them to play out the way they did.

a couple of brief points-

fighting frog is actually faster at lvl 3 than at lvl 1, including the short time for the battle

the b-rang is good for fighting those slimes in Nanai when used with mrbl 1 and again against the roaches

you lucky bastard getting that DarkDr so quickly!!!

running into walls is a surprisingly easy thing to do due to the funkyness of the controls for this game

Consider this an unofficial accept!

D:
Quote from Axel Ryman:
I compared both the times you arrived and when you entered to Janus's TAS, and when he arrived, it was still daytime and went in as the sun was just starting to set, while in your run, it around sunset and you went in around the time night begins.

It's kind of hard to compare the two because Janus's run didn't get all of its brightness stolen by the analog video gremlins.

...but, yeah, you're right, looking at how the light changes in the two runs, I did wait about five seconds too long.  Son of a bitch.

Quote from Axel Ryman:
I checked Guard Master's World Map. While not the best example in judging distance, it seems T(a/u)ntar might be closer, but I'm trying to remember the path to get into the area where the robot is.

I think Tantar is closer by flight.  The problem is that the lake forces you to walk a bit out of your way when leaving from Tantar, while the path from Romero is almost direct.  I double-checked just now and found the walk from Romero to be shorter by about nine steps.

Also, the reason why I sounded so confident about this in my last post was that at some point while I was watching old segments, I had the same thought about saving in Tantar and said, "Ohshit"...  and then went back to assess the damage and found that there was no damage at all.  I guess what I'm saying is that if I'd been verifying this, I probably would've asked the same question.

Quote from Axel Ryman:
I was mainly referring to Auria instead of Bleak(or Tar) for saving, though considering you also need to get the dragon transformation, and getting it is not that difficult, so a breather period in the same segment is good. Then again, I'm afraid to ask how many segments were ended because of the dragon transformations.

IIRC two or three, and the Gremlin fights in those weren't any better than the one I submitted.  Gremlin was the most common point of failure in this segment by far.

Also, thanks for the feedback.  I really appreciate everyone being willing to watch all 280-ish minutes of this closely enough to pick out the details even if the details are me wasting five seconds.

Quote from japanzaman:
Consider this an unofficial accept!

Thanks!