List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
1-Up!
Game Page: Doesn't exist yet

Segmented Any% run

Verifier Responses

Quote:
Video and Audio good, no cheating detected. I'm impressed. There are some improvements to be had, but I say accept. Would be nice if the promised audio commentary was here to listen to, but I suppose it'll come in the release version. I really wish the runner could have gotten a rock slide into this run. I know it can be difficult to get, but I've been able to get it fairly consistent to be able to do it at least once in the first room with a rock. Reducing lag is something else to look into as an improvement. SS would be awesome.

Accept.

Quote:
I hate the lag lazers in this game but its solid. I never really though about avoiding the lazer enemies in the Ruins like so, and that was handily done.

I have very few beefs, mostly just cause i think the jump movement wasn't 100% optimized and I'm not 100% sure on all routes through the places, but Dragondarch I'm sure did his homework enough to prove me wrong.

I dislike the use of the Source of Power after entering a room, unless my memory sucks. I was pretty sure you could use that then the warp gate, instead of elsewhere. Of course this could be apart of the "fixed manipulations" that Dragondarch mentioned.

Something else of funny note, i remember one time someone said "You can get EXP orbs from about 1/3 of the enemies... so just find a quick spot to farm and go to town." If this was relatively true, then what might be worth looking into is enemies who are quick to kill that shift the orb drops into better favorable/more often spots. But this would alone be headache inducing for the longest time.

Good solid run.
Accept. ANd I guess the runner will get my 5$

Quote:
Sorry it has taken me so long to post my response. I have been pretty busy.

Video and audio is good, no cheating. When I found out how short this run was, I was shocked because this is not a short game. The most impressive thing is  using the cape and not getting hit by practically anything after that point (you pretty much turn into Richter from SotN where anything touches you, you're dead). That's impressive in itself. I also noticed a couple time-saving tricks that I didn't know about. One for example is the ice castle where he jumped onto a highler ledge from a lower one. I never knew about that but it's a great find.

My only complaint he didn't use the flail. Tongue

All joking aside, this is a great run and an entertaining watch, especially for those that are familiar with the game.

Accept.

Decision: Accept

Congratulations to Damien 'Dragondarch' Moody!
Thread title:  
Haters gonna hate
Congrats Dragondarch!

Bota is strong.
Is PJ
Congrats Dragondarch!  There go my plans to play through this game and verify it for you.  Tongue  Looking forward to watching this after I play through it myself.
Edit history:
Dragondarch: 2011-11-20 12:09:58 am
Dragondarch: 2011-11-20 12:05:07 am
Dragondarch: 2011-11-19 11:57:29 pm
Dragondarch: 2011-11-19 11:57:17 pm
Pudding%
Quote:
I really wish the runner could have gotten a rock slide into this run. I know it can be difficult to get, but I've been able to get it fairly consistent to be able to do it at least once in the first room with a rock.

I can get them, but almost always on the one push I don't want them. In addition there's also a chance that while the rock is sliding over the 2nd tile, you'll stop dead in mid-air, which partially negates the time gained from getting the double push.

Also, I had a nasty habit of jumping a frame or 2 too early when pushing things, which was always an automatic reset. Tongue

Quote:
Reducing lag is something else to look into as an improvement

Unless the game is being manually timed on every segment, then this isn't an issue except in the last segment. I tested the game clock you see on the file select screen and it does save to the second. Though I don't know exactly when it starts and stops timing.

Quote:
I have very few beefs, mostly just cause i think the jump movement wasn't 100% optimized and I'm not 100% sure on all routes through the places, but Dragondarch I'm sure did his homework enough to prove me wrong.

The jump movement was about as optimized as I could get it. If it didn't look like it, I was probably doing it on purpose (example: I dragged out a few jumps near the end of the northern highway to make sure I had the distance to get around the wall. I made mention of this in the audio commentary...that apparently didn't make it into this version).

The routes, on the other hand, were optimized. Painstakingly I might add. I timed pretty much everything against other possible routes (read: using warp gates over walking) and optimized accordingly based on how many Warp Gates I'd have access to.

Although I'm actually curious about specific examples if you could point them out.

Quote:
Something else of funny note, i remember one time someone said "You can get EXP orbs from about 1/3 of the enemies... so just find a quick spot to farm and go to town." If this was relatively true, then what might be worth looking into is enemies who are quick to kill that shift the orb drops into better favorable/more often spots. But this would alone be headache inducing for the longest time.

EXP Orbs are fixed drops. Some can be farmed and others are only one-time. I had actually considered finding a quick place to farm them, but couldn't find any good place that would end up saving time in the end.
-In Abell Ruins 1F, in the first dark room with the hover platform and the bats. Have to reset the room to get it to respawn. ~10 seconds per orb.
-On the Southern Highway there's an Aug near the end that will drop multiple Orbs. Have to go offscreen far enough for respawn. ~5-6 seconds per orb.
-In Ice Castle B2, near where you use the 1st Gate Key there's an Electric Brain that repeats. Think you just have to offscreen far enough for respawn. 10+ seconds per orb thanks to the ice. Sad
-In Droog Valley, there's a Gargoyle in the upper left that drops repeats. This is easily the fastest one to farm, being as low as 2-3 seconds with a good rythym going. However, it's slightly off the path for me, and it would have required the Power Fairy at level 7 to be able to 2-shot them. Having to attack 3 times increases the time to kill to about 4-5 seconds since you'll have to chase it a bit. There's also another Gargoyle that will bother you while trying to do this.

I'm looking at my spreadsheet that I marked down every enemy I kill for an orb, and there's only 4 enemies I kill that take 2+ seconds, with 3 of those including the 1 second it takes to display the level up message. A few of the enemies killed actually take no extra time since I'm waiting on something else (moving platform, etc.) or was on a hover platform (Abell Ruins 1F and 4F).

I think I actually covered a bunch of this in the audio commentary. I thought I had asked Nate to include it in the verification copy since it detailed my segment by segment analysis. Undecided

Anyway, thanks for the comments guys. I'm hoping the audio commentary in the final version will clear up some of the questions you may have had (if I didn't already do that Tongue ).

EDIT: Bota is indeed strong Mecha Tongue

EDIT2: I fail at reading things fully.

Quote:
I dislike the use of the Source of Power after entering a room, unless my memory sucks. I was pretty sure you could use that then the warp gate, instead of elsewhere. Of course this could be apart of the "fixed manipulations" that Dragondarch mentioned.

I know I touched on this one in the audio commentary, but the reason I use those Sources of Power when I do is because those were the points where I'd get +3. I tried it when using warp gates and none granted +3 like I needed.
Yes, a worthless avatar riding my posts.
Great run Dragondarch!