List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Game Page: Doesn't exist yet.

Verifier Responses

Quote:
There are no other options.

This is a very straightforward platformer. There's really not even oppertunities in the game to take alternate paths, you pretty much follow the stage. In that respect the run is very well done.

The problems are errors... no major errors, but there are multiple instances where a jump is missed (in fact theres a whole period that's sort of sloppy towards the middle). He aces the first four or so stages with less than 10 seconds of errors that I saw and, with one exception, takes damage only during boss fights in such a way that no time was lost. After that things go a bit downhill... but this game isn't the greatest at play control, either. There is also, unfortunately, a lot of lag built into the game, which makes a run of it not very entertaining (doesn't appear to require much skill... well, you watch it, you'll see what I mean. Will only appeal to Bonk fans). In total probably 30s to 1m of improvement possible and a bit of a rough patch in the middle... I'm giving a weak accept vote, pending the other reviewers opinions. For what it is, it's played very well. I personally think he could have done better, though expressed in time that may not be more than 30 seconds total.

Quote:
Overall rating: 8.5/10
No Cheating
Good Video Quality
Good Route
Pretty Good Gameplay
Recommendation for SDA: Borderline

The mistakes don't add up to much time lost, but the game is very short. I think most mistakes could be eliminated with practice. However, this game isn't that popular and I doubt it would be obsoleted very quickly by someone using the same route and strategy without the mistakes.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In Depth:

This game is pretty straightforward and the only ways to save time are by using the best route and playing well. This player is pretty good at the game. Some levels were done superbly, while others had numerous mistakes. Overall, it was very fast while slightly sloppy at times.

The movement was fine - there isn't any noticeable difference between walking, jumping and flipping. The only way to speed up the character is to eat meat. While your character will move faster, you sacrifice up front time in a transformation animation. Over the length of the powerup, there is no additional gain in speed, and it may be slightly slower.

The meat does speed up the game by allowing the player to defeat bosses faster with more powerful attacks. The player used a sound meat-consumption strategy. There was only one instance of a missed meat, and it is hard to say if it would have sped up the run. The effect on attack power would have passed by the time the player got to the next boss, but maybe the short-term invincibility would have sped up the time in getting there.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Details:

Timed Manually: 19:21
Video Time: 19:26.50
Seconds lost to error: 40
Percent of manual time: 3.445
Percent of video time: 3.423

0:13  Start
1:13 -1.0 Damage from enemy
6:49 -0.5 Damage from shark boss, misses a hit
9:29 -1.0 Damage from ballerina boss
10:00 -1.0 Misses jump, redo
11:18 -0.5 Presses wrong button
11:26 -4.0 Falls down accidentally
20:53 -1.0 Stops for health
11:54 -0.5 Jumps into ceiling
12:08 -1.0 Hit by enemy
12:25 -2.0 Hit by enemy
13:36 -0.5 Needs health due to damage
14:03 -3.0 Falls down accidentally
14:21 -0.5 Jumps twice
15:07 -6.0 Damage from bird boss, misses a hit
16:14 -0.5 Damage from shark boss, misses a hit
18:39, 19:05 -17.5 Damage from main boss, misses three hits
19:40  End

There was a third verifier, but I haven't seen any activity from him in a while.

Since both verifiers said this run was borderline, I shot the runner this PM.

Quote:
Your run has been accepted, but just barely. Both verifiers said your run was mostly good, but it had some sloppy mistakes that look pretty bad (I can get their responses for you). I can still post your run if you want me to, but it might be better if you improve it instead.

And this was his response.

Quote:
I guess improving it would be a good idea. When I was recording it I did see some things that even made me cringe. Not all of the mistakes, but some of them were caused by huge lag the game gets when too many enemies follow Bonk, or big enemies are in his way. Lagging delays his jumping even more, so that caused a few of my missed jumps, and even when you go to hit an enemy, it's slower than usual.

Other than the lag issue, I do agree there are some noticeable mistakes in it. I'll see what I can do about improving it but, it may be awhile before I finish since it's getting closer to the end of the semester... I hope those same verifiers will be willing to verify again. :p

You don't have to put up the run, but I would like to see the verifiers comments and see what improvements I need, other than the obvious.

Decision: Rejected

Reason: The verifiers said the gameplay was good enough, but barely. I could post the run, but the runner agreed that there were some mistakes that made him cringe, and that he would like to improve his run.
Thread title:  
Edit history:
Mickey_Mage: 2008-10-31 04:00:52 pm
Glitching EB 1 flying man at a time
One thing to add. Since the run was in "waiting" for so long, I hadn't seen my run in a long time. I noticed the mistakes very easily when I transferred it from the VHS to the DVD. I didn't mean recording as in while making the run, as I had forgotten all that anyway. I think I kept the run originally because of the good boss battles, and was getting really annoyed with the lag.

I guess because of all the other well executed runs I have made after this run (this thing was in the verification topic a fairly long time lol), I guess that's what made those mistakes stand out more to me, despite lag; though, I'm glad at least one verifier mentioned the lag in the game.
Talk to the Hand
Quote from Mickey_Mage:
One thing to add. Since the run was in "waiting" for so long, I hadn't seen my run in a long time. I noticed the mistakes very easily when I transferred it from the VHS to the DVD. I didn't mean recording as in while making the run, as I had forgotten all that anyway. I think I kept the run originally because of the good boss battles, and was getting really annoyed with the lag.

I guess because of all the other well executed runs I have made after this run (this thing was in the verification topic a fairly long time lol), I guess that's what made those mistakes stand out more to me, despite lag; though, I'm glad at least one verifier mentioned the lag in the game.

Ah yes. Speedrunning is like anything else, really. You do it for awhile, look back at your earlier work, and go "Wow, that was horrible!" Luckily, my "old shames" are now all gone from SDA. Smiley
Glitching EB 1 flying man at a time
Actually, my works before Bonk were very good. My Mickey Mania run was near perfect (in human skill anyway), and my Mickey's Magical Quest run was very good (at least before the TAS redid their run after the new tricks that Zurreco and I both found, making the time a lot harder to compete against).

I look back at those two runs, and I got my beginnings on this site with quality speedrunning. My Joe and Mac run was done better than my Bonk run, but both weren't the best quality I could accomplish for either platformer, and I should've realized this :P. I try too hard to be perfect sometimes, like most runners. I make the smallest mistake, and I restart the run. I can accept some mistakes, depending on how well the rest of the run looks when I watch it after stopping the recording.

I guess the further I got into college, the less dedicated I became as a result (except over the summer). After graduating next May, I wonder how much of that dedication will be left. Sad I don't like disappointing people, so that's why I feel obligated to redo the runs that have been less than average, and not worthy enough recently...