List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
1-Up!
Game Page: http://speeddemosarchive.com/Bomberman64.html

Hard SS any% run

Verifier Responses

Quote:
So, first order of business: Video is great, Audio is great. I can confirm that there are 0 Cheaty Cheat Shenanigans in this run. We can rest easy c:

It should be noted that this run is done on the PAL version.

Start: He watches the beginning cutscene instead of resetting and just starting his file D: (I don't know SDA's ruling on that though, and it doesn't matter on timing anyways)

Green 1: Everything on this level is fine, he picks up the bomb from the best possible spot and everything is gravy.
Green 2: He pumps a bomb to hit Sirius and toss him over the edge. You don't HAVE to pump a bomb, but it is the most reliable, so w/e. Maybe a second lost here.
Green 3: Not much to say on this level, everything was done pretty much as it should have been done. Good level.
Green 4: He misses once, which isn't that big of a deal but it did waste about 10-11 seconds. Aside from that, very stellar fight. I might have to steal his stand-in-one-spot strategy :3

Blue 1: He kicks a bomb towards one of the spinners to try and stun it, but other than that the stage was well executed. Can't blame him though, Spinners are scary as hell on hard mode D:
Blue 2: His Artemis strategy is hilariously good, I think it's the fastest strategy I've seen on this boss yet. Perfect fight.
Blue 3: This level was OK. He spends a little time setting up the first bomb jump here and wastes like 2 or 3 seconds. He kicks a bomb and waits for it to explode to stun the spinner. It should be noted that you can pick up an enemy and toss them rather than waiting for the bomb to blow up. Rest of the level is fine.
Blue 4: He doesn't manage to hit Sewer Savage in the beginning, which wastes a considerable amount of time. Rest of the battle is great.

Red 1: This level was great, he got the jump across the gap and didn't get sniped by fireballs. :3
Red 2: Egh, the Orion battle. He fails to hit him 4 times which really sucks, but this guy is such a pain in the ass. Probably wastes like.. 20 in game seconds, don't know about real time.
Red 3: AHH SCARY SPINNER T_T. He got very very lucky at the end and it's pretty well pulled off.
Red 4: This is a very optimal fight, he got the long spinning phase. Pretty lucky.

White 1: Okay, for starters he grabs a heart off one of the rabbits, which is fine. Unfortunately there's a route error. He goes through the western side of the level instead of the eastern side, which is faster to go through only because of how hard the wind blows. The wind makes the west side very slow to progress through. Execution wise, he takes a while to set up the bomb jump and doesn't pump the bomb from the getgo on the final screen. Probably wastes an overall 12-13 seconds on those minor issues when using this route.
White 2: The Regulus battle here was kinda bad, just sitting around waiting before attempting to toss him off the arena a second time looked ugly. 18 in-game seconds isn't stellar but it really isn't that bad either so w/e.
White 3: The ice physics on hard mode are absolutely garbage, so I can't really call out movement error on this, and his 3rd screen looks faster than what I normally do, so this level was good. The award goes to penguins for being the cutest and most powerful enemy at the same time :V
White 4: This is probably the most impressive part of the run to me, cause Cold Killers on hard mode is just.. retarded. Stupid ice. He makes it look like it's not even an issue. Very stellar battle.

Black 1: Not much to say about this level, he picks up 2 firepower for the next stage and pumps bombs for the machine fight. It's a good level.
Black 2: Well I'm now fully confident that kicking bombs is the most reliable strategy to use for High-Tech Harvester. I never actually realized he just stood in place like a jackass for that long. Good fight.
Black 3: Sigh... Sad This part is a heart breaker. From the start, instead of using the right pillar on the stairs to line himself up, he goes around and then spends time trying to line himself back up to do the jump. Wastes up to 2 seconds there. In the very next screen, he attempts to bomb jump twice and dies, then after dying he waits for all the lasers from that point on. From the death alone he wasted 43 seconds. Assuming he had done a bomb jump and made it the second go on the screen, I roughly calculated he lost about 10 seconds waiting for the lasers. The next screen he waits for lasers again. Roughly losing about 10 seconds here I'd assume since he presses the 1 switch and has to wait to go around the enemy again. Next screen is gold though, for what it's worth. Lost over a minute on this level alone. =[
Black 4: Artemis can be an ass, and yeah Vega doesn't help. He lost a good.. maaaybe 25 seconds from not being able to toss him off.

So in general, his movements were pretty loose as far as not making tight turns, he does take a good amount of time to set some of his bomb jumps up, and the death was pretty sad to see considering it wasn't against a boss which would have been more expected than the spot he did die at. Not even looking at the bad-luck boss fights, He could save a good minute 30 seconds. At least another minute from boss fights which isn't too bad to be honest.

Now, the in-game timer says he finished at 19 Minutes, but IIRC the in-game timer is wacky anyways: It only adds up time from the in-level timer, and I believe jagger said something about cutting off like the last 2 digits or something. So real time, roughly timing it from the moment the first level's timer starts and ending at the moment the timer stops on the final boss fight, I came up with 35:43. give or take a second or two since I timed that with WMP Tongue

Honestly, I think it's a tough decision to make for me. To me, I believe he should go back and shave at least another minute and submit again, but on the other hand... I'd love to see a different run up on the page.

I'm going to reject this, sorry. Sad Maybe the other verifiers will have a more lax opinion than I do on the run.

Quote:
(i can't come up with a good way to start the post)

if it wasn't for the fact that it was pointed out the run is on PAL version, i'd have thought the game was dying. it becomes apparent after a bit though so no big deal.

audio and video are pretty good. this is what one expects from N64 and s-video after all so no HD fancy stuff.

no cheating detected, unless you call insane luck a cheat (if you do, you wouldn't be at SDA anyway)

the execution was pretty good but there were a few weak things like the last level where the runner dies because of the bad bomb jump and a few bosses looked a bit slow.

the green island was pretty good. only the dragon looked slow but, since it is hard mode, safe strats are a must because hearts are very rare.
the blue island was good mostly. the bombs jumps were good and only the fish boss was a bit slow since he didn't cooperate much.
the fire island was good overall except for the miniboss who was a dick most of the time. the close call against the spidder guy was funny.
the white island was okay. this level looks boring no matter how good you do it. the spider boss went down very quickly.
the black fortress was going well until teh dreaded bomb jump. the final boss also caused problems on teh first phase since he ust runs and runs. getting the 2 enemies to hit themselves was a neat maneuver.

overall the run is acceptable. the big error was almost at the end and i guess nerves do that. there's room for improvement and the runner could probably improve this if he plays just as good as he did minus the nerves and bad AI luck but the improvement wouldn't be that massive if he did it.

Quote:
There's not really something to add to Verifier 1's post. Screwing up a trick and lose over a minute - that's 3% of the total game time! - can't be excused with "nerves do that", sorry. A very nice run with very nice tricks and very much luck - which leaved him in the last few minutes. Sorry to the uploader, but I'll reject this too. Try again, better luck next time - if you can complete it without dying we talk again!

Quote:
Yeah i have to agree with everyone that the later last quarter of the run it goes by with a screw up that brings this run to a sorry no accept. Otherwise video and audio is good and no cheating

Decision: Reject

Reason: Good quality for the most part but the bad play at the end pushes it to unacceptable.

This run will be available for a month. PM me for a link.
Thread title:  
DK + Mario Kart 8 = <3
okay i go for a better run on this game
Don't know what to speedrun :(
Good luck with this. I'm glad to see you not get discouraged. I look forward to watching the run when you complete it!
Edit history:
AniMeowzerz: 2011-12-22 02:18:16 pm
Hello, I was verifier 1 in case you couldn't tell already. I'm really glad you're willing to go for a better run Smiley
IMO, as long as that death's cut out and around 1 minute is saved from the time you got from this run, I think it would be a solid accept. Hope to see more from you Cheesy