1-Up!
Game Page: http://speeddemosarchive.com/BlasterMaster.html

SS Deathless run

Verifier Responses

Quote:
------------------
Blaster Master – NES
SS Deathless

You got a lawyer verifying your games again.  Normally I write out a ridiculously long essay about the game, but I don’t have time for that Sad  “Quick” version commencing:

I basically watched this submitted run and the current run at the same time to see exactly where the improvements were made.  The big ones I noticed are listed below.

Level 1: Already we have an improvement over the posted run as UA doesn’t clip that pesky block when dropping to the caverns below. Wink

Levels 1 and 2 are actually a bit slower in the submitted run over all.  By like 1-2 second total.  I think it’s more Level 2 actually as the Level 1 runs in the submitted run and the current run finish nearly at the same time, but by Level 3 the current run is ahead by 2-3 seconds.

Level 3: Big improvement on the Level 3 boss.  By my count this boss goes at least five seconds faster than the current time.  Hooray for good hover drops too.

Level 4 That Key Door trick saves so much time in a run that was already pretty tight.  Takes a few times to get it, but it still saves time overall and it just looks cooler.

Level 5 boss doesn’t go nearly as well as the Current run, but I think that was more of a fluke (what happened in the Currently posted run).  In fact, any time made up over the Current run due to the Key Door trick is lost because the boss battle in the current run is just so ridiculously lucky.  Also, UA still can’t complete a recorded run without screwing up the pause trick at least once. Wink

Level 6 boss doesn’t quite go as well, until the end where this time the boss has the curtsey to die properly.  This actually gain UA over 20 seconds against the Current run and is really where the two runs finally separate for good.

Level 7 boss goes quite well and is at least a 10 second improvement over the Current run.  I wonder if UA still holds his breath going over those lava pits.

Getting to Level 8: I don’t think I have to say it, but I will.  Getting to Level 8 and Level 8 itself goes extremely better than the Current run. 

Audio/Video Quality: Video’s fine.  Let’s face it…the audio sucks, and I’m assuming there’s no way to fix it.  It’s not THAT bad to be offensive in my opinion, but it’s still a shame that it is as bad as it is.  Still, if UA does another audio commentary for the video, viewers can just watch that and not worry about the 80s radio-like quality of the game audio…

Cheating: None detected.

Comments: I really think UA would love to be able to piecemeal together parts of the current run with this one as the current run has some parts that actually go faster than the submitted run with what looked like some missed jumps here and there and the like.

Around Level 6, the two runs are actually rather close, within a number of second as both reach the Level 6 boss.  At one point, the Submitted run gains around a 14 second lead over the Current run due to the Key Door trick, but that is almost completely erased by the Level 5 boss fight.  I am pretty sure the way the Level 5 boss fight goes in the Current run is something we cannot expect see with any consistency in future runs as that was the luckiest part about that run.  Honestly, if that fight didn’t go as well as it did in the Current run, assuming the Level 6 boss still glitches out, I highly doubt that run gets submitted.  For this submission, the Key Door trick mitigates the extra time needed to defeat the Level 5 boss.

The real gains start after the Level 6 boss.  The Level 7 boss also goes much better, and the trek from Level 7 to Level 8 and Level 8 itself goes MUCH better than the current run.  This is where UA beats the current run by over a minute.

Overall, the only thing that should be missed about the current SS Deathless run is the drama of UA almost dying in Level 8 with only half a health bar left on multiple occasions.  This submission shaves at least a full minute off of the current run, shows off a neat “new” trick, and doesn’t have the Level 6 boss glitching out for no apparent reason, has a better Level 3 and Level 7 boss fight, and does a much better job of traveling between levels after Level 6.

Decision: ACCEPT.  I really don’t think the audio quality should keep this from being posted, but I’ll leave that to the admins.  There are so many little things in this run that could be improved on, but in a single segment run that does require a certain amount of luck; I am not sure just how much time could be shaved off of this.
------------------------

Quote:
What's there to say? UA showed us once again that he is the one true master of this game, and this run did not disappoint.

Granted, the audio sucks, but it's not unbearable and I honestly wasn't bothered by it after a few minutes.

Accept. Keep up the good work!

Quote:
Video is fine.  Audio is subpar but acceptable for an NES game.  Main source of improvement over the 42:27 run is the 3rd and 6th bosses (the latter of which is killed without time being lost to the "zombie" glitch) and the platforming from the end of level 6 through the end of the game.  It's unfortunate that the time savings from the key door warp in level 4 were lost due to bad luck on the 5th boss and some missed jumps in levels 1-4; but the amount of free damage time the 42:27 run got on the 5th boss was probably a rare glitch that's unlikely to happen again.

I vote to accept - hope to see an even faster run with better audio (and maybe 100% on the room transition pauses Wink ) in 2012!

Quote:
Fast Speed, better optimization, could have been better on room transition pauses, video quality is fine, audio is ok but not great, overall i think this is an easy accept

Quote:
Another great Blaster Master run Flip, not much to add since I'm last in.  Not my fault, internet has been scarce until tonight.  Anyway, I guess the sound bothers me more than the other verifiers.  But even I don't feel it's reject worthy because of it.  I fully ACCEPT. 

Decision: Accept

Congratulations to Benjamin 'UraniumAnchor' Cutler!
Thread title:  
Is PJ
Congrats UA!  Huzzah!
Edit history:
UraniumAnchor: 2011-11-19 10:43:15 pm
Not a walrus
Yay!

I might try to improve this again after AGDQ2, but I told myself I'd send this one in if I didn't have a better one by October. I don't, so here it is!

The only truly random thing left in this run is the level 5 boss, unfortunately. Hover drops past the required amount make such a tiny difference in the final time it's not even worth considering. That said, I think I could get this under 41 minutes if absolutely everything went right and I got a good level 5 boss fight.

Also, now I can post this without any sense of impropriety: http://video.uranium-anchor.com/play/162/
The Gaming Lawyer
First verifier here Smiley  It was rather interesting to watch both of your runs side by side.  Made comparing them quite easy, obviously Wink  I first synched the videos up after each level to see how each individual level went, then ran both at the same time all the way through to see where the most time was made.

This new run is quite awesome, UA.  You've once again managed to crush a game I could barely beat back in my NES days Wink  Nicely done.