List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Game Page: http://speeddemosarchive.com/BlastCorps.html

Steve Bates's Single-segment run

Verifier Responses

Quote:
Verifier: hey, i'm going to be lazy and give you my blast corps verification on IRC
Verifier: i watched the HQ and LQ versions, they were pretty much the same
Verifier: audio and video was good throughout, didn't see any cheating
Verifier: gameplay was really good the entire time
Verifier: especially 11:53-12:01
Verifier: but yeah, it was amazing and should be accepted
Verifier: can't wait to see his 100%
Verifier: end verification comments

Quote:
I downloaded the normal quality version. Audio is good, video is good.

The gameplay is excellent - sure, there are imperfections everywhere, but that's because Blast Corps is a ridiculously hard game to perfect. I'm not going to write a detailed commentary because I've been watching tons of these streamed and helping to work out routes and stuff and I don't feel like writing EVEN MORE about Blast Corps right now, especially since if I got into it I'd probably end up writing pages and pages analyzing every single movement in the entire run.

However, the runner misspelled "Cromlech" as "Chromlech" in his chomments so I whill have to rheject the chomments bhecause of that. This error totally overshadows everything else about the run. Angry  Angry  Angry

Also, to Peaches_, regarding a couple other things in the comments: I was the one who told you about the Sideswipe trick. When using the Thunderfist, the fastest way to roll is to hold A, not to tap things like a silly person, you silly person.

In summary, this is a wonderful run and you would be very silly not to accept it as soon as the extraneous h is excised.

Quote:
Sorry for the late reply, but I didn't have had time to watch it earlier.
Well, and btw. I downloaded the normal quality version.

--------------------------------------------------------

Audio & Video
The audio and video quality is good. As long as you can say "good" to N64 graphics^^

Timing
Not sure about the exact timing, because the run ends different from the old run. But the run time has to be around 29 minutes, if you just time the actual gameplay (pressing Start after entering your name till finishing the last level); so not counting the credits.

Gameplay
The game is played on the NTSC version where you can use a trick to blow up buildings by standing close to them and pressing the Z-button. Your character then wants to get out of the vehicle, but because it can't, the building explodes (so then your little character can leave the vehicle). This trick is not really useful on most small buildings, but there are some big buildings that can normally only be destroyed with TNT crates. So just blow them up with the Z-trick to save a lot of time.
The runner makes good use of that Z-trick to save a lot of time compared to the old run. But most "normal" levels are also better executed than in the old run. Of course there are also (a few) mistakes in the run. For example in the first Backlash level (but that level is really hard, although there are only 3 buildings) or in Ember Hamlet, where he missed some shots at the beginning and had to play really safe to not get out of ammo. I think all the small mistakes add up to 30-45 seconds.
Nontheless, the run is a big improvement to the old run (not only because of the Z-trick), so I vote to accept the run.

Personal note: My old PAL run can be taken down if you want, because Peaches run is a big improvement to my run. But there should be still 2 seperate categories for PAL and NTSC, as no PAL user can ever beat the NTSC run without the Z-trick.

Decision: Accept

Reason: I think Peaches can take the extra h out of his comments. Wink
Thread title: