List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Game Page: http://speeddemosarchive.com/BionicCommando.html

Marko 'MASTER-88' Vanhanen's 100% run

Verifier Responses

Quote:
Verifier: Well i said I'd watch Bionic Commando and I did...
Verifier: First off, the sound is just naturally out of sync. By the end its ahead by like 3-4 seconds which really threw me off.. As I could hear and pre-think of what was going on.
Verifier: He performed well, all tricky things done very quickly with a few mess ups (minor .5 secs about) on screw ups. THere isn't much else to really point out in the flaw section.
Verifier: Unfortuntely as for flight paths I don't know of a faster one, and he gets to everywhere he needs to go. Handles it all quickly (even boot jumping off some little guys).
Verifier: Its tight, well performed, everything is gotten. no more can really be said...
Verifier: Accept, provided the sound issue is fixed
Verifier: yeah it has to do with his dvd recorder dropping frames
Verifier: it will be fixed in the final copy

Quote:
This run was in some ways my brain child since I'm the one who posted the idea originally. (At least as far as I know.) So I'm probably going to be more harsh on it than I normally would.

Video quality is fine, audio quality is fine other than what seems to be a gradual desync with the video falling behind the video, on the order of several seconds by the end of the recording. Using the TimeStretch function in avisynth, it seemed to be about 4800ms off overall. Didn't spot any cheating or deaths.

All of the neutral zones were fine.

Comparison video for several questionable spots: http://www.uranium-anchor.com/speed/sda/bccompare.mp4

Area 1: Initial foray to the comm room is fine. After the comm room, however, the route can be improved as demonstrated in part 1. None of the soldier spawning is random, it is very, very controllable by using the same route (including the slight pause) that I do. Even my out of practice version is four seconds faster.

Area 4: Mostly fine. One extra swing after the final spike area, but not much of an error.

Area 5: A slight modification to the any% route makes the first section more reliable and not much slower, if it's slower at all. See part 2. This one is probably debatable.

Area 2: Mostly ok, but going under the final platform before the boss door is slightly faster if you do it right.

Area 3: On the second dropping elevator, it's possible to side hook and swing underneath, saving some time. See part 3. Even if you mess it up, which is easy to do, going left first loses time. The other parts are questionable, but I can't decide for sure.

Area 6: Mostly fine. A couple of questionable pauses but nothing terrible.

Area 8: First area can be done slightly faster. See part 4.

Area 9: An admittedly risky strategy saves a couple of seconds and has a clearer path. See part 5. You could shorten this a little bit more by bouncing off the fire but it makes it even riskier, especially this late in the run.

The rest of the fighting areas can be easily compared to Feasel's run. Most of the timing differences are in the comments, but my numbers disagreed with his on more than one occasion, but not by more than a second or two.

The overworld route seems to be pretty good. I'm not entirely convinced there isn't a better one, but I don't have any ideas and testing them is a giant pain in the ass.

Honestly, I'm torn. It's a generally well executed run that's not quite as good as Feasel overall. What bothered me more was some of the routes that he took that I know are slower, which suggests a lack of experimentation. It's still over a minute faster than my initial estimate for a 100% run of this game... so I'm going to give it a "meh".

Quote:
Overall a pretty tight run.  A few minor mistakes, but this is quite understandable in a long SS like this.  The grapple choices looked good.  It's hard to see where there might be room for path improvement.  The overworld-map route looked pretty good - if there is a better way i sure don't know what it would be.

Area 1
  Love the jump up at 1:07 onto the platform with the boss-room door.  Very fast boss-shooting.

Area 4
  Done without the flares, which requires some memorization.  Runner executes it well.  Again, very fast boss-shooting, and i like how the riot-shield-guy doesn't even realize he's getting owned until it's too late.

Area 5
  At 4:47, runner probably should have just shot the guy.  I understand that it's possible to save some time by doing a hop without killing him, but i think this is such an error-prone spot that it would have been worth spending the 3/4 of a second that it would take to shoot him in order to avoid the high probability of a several-seconds mistake.
  Again, there's some impressively fast shooting at the boss.

Area 2
  Nice damage boost off the crane-guy.  Boss room went quickly.

Area 3
  Seems like the outdoors area could have been done faster.  A slight change of route may have been able to avoid that butterfly.  (But wait -- manly men are not afraid of butterflies, even the giant mutant variety).

Area 6
  Route in the first half is quite good.  It's a significant improvement over the any%.  Route in second half may be a slight improvement over any%; both runs contain errors so it's hard to compare accurately.

Area 8
  The swing over the guy right before entering the first door is a nice move.  Boss room had some hitches, but it's a relative tough one.

Area 9
  I'm glad to see the runner is using the lower-route, even though it went less-than-ideally this time.  Should have waited another split second before doing the vertical grapple.
  In the boss room, i'm not sure what the runner was trying to accomplish with the early-detach on the second grapple.  I don't think it's possible to head-bounce over the bazooka guy.  Probably wasn't intentional.

Area 7
  This level is a potential run-killer, but the runner manged to get through without hitting any of the usual snags.

Area 10
  I'm unsure about the route choice immediately after the swing-through-laser-blasts part; going back left to stand on those boxes.  Everything else went fairly smoothly, though.

Area 11
  Another potential run-killer level, but the runner handled it well.  He missed the orange sphere, but he had a plan-B and it turned out not to be much time lost.  Boss room is possibly the most difficult one in the game, and the runner pulled it off without getting hit.  Nice.

Area 12
  Swinging in the first vertical shaft rather than walking is risky, but faster.  It worked flawlessly in this case.  The second vertical shaft was a little messy both on the way down and back up.  Having so much health to burn, some clever damage-boosting might have been possible, thus avoiding having to wait for the spark and getting up onto the topmost platform a little closer to the door.  There was some time lost at the bottom of the last elevator (next to the long spikey floor).  It would have been faster to do a horizontal grapple to the right and begin the first swing like that, rather than riding the elevator all the way to the very bottom and then starting with a diagonal grapple.

Bosses
    The albatross fight was pretty quick.  It could have been done in 1 less cycle.  Doing the vertical grapple from the rightmost flame-jet won't get you close enough or leave you enough time to kill the thing before the horizontal flame jet fires (AFAIK).  It is a bit safer this way, and this is a really error-prone spot regardless of which strategy one uses, so it's an understandable compromise.
    No problems with the cockpit shot.  Could have used an extra swing in the corridor with Hal, instead of walking the last portion of it (i know it lands you on top of the box, but you can avoid this by retracting the line mid-way through one of the three swings).
    Escape sequence went well.  Glad to see the runner didn't get snagged as he slipped past the guardian.

Without doubt, this is an ACCEPT.  I think that further improvements to the time could come simply from fewer minor mistakes rather than from improvements to routes or less hesitation (both of which are pretty good in this run; the runner has spent much time planning his grapples and he executes them without hesitation).  Congrats -- the runner should be extremely proud of himself for this one.  This is a tough 100%, given that a lot of the really risky stuff comes late in the game.

Decision: Accept

Reason: It's a tight run.
Thread title:  
You got a deletion wish?
While unrelated to this run but relevant to the game, I stopped by Gamestop the other day and saw 2010 Guinness Video Game Records on display.  I flipped through a few pages and saw Feasel's BC run mentioned.

There were a few others mentioned but I'm not gonna go through them here.
Master-88
Nice to see this is accept. Its not surprise i was 99.9% sure this run is accepted when i did it, because it is my best run so far and it is almost par as Feasel. Its first run where every verifers accept my run and this make me very happy. Cheesy

Quote:
At 4:47, runner probably should have just shot the guy.  I understand that it's possible to save some time by doing a hop without killing him

I usually managed skip it. But i simply push wrong button. It save about 1-2 seconds skip this guy. But i just lost 3 seconds when i miss it.

Quote:
It's a generally well executed run that's not quite as good as Feasel overall

Its quite par as feasel. I timed every individual levels and its look i kept same speed as feasel. My areas 5, 6, 10 was faster than feasel did. Area 6 was 10 seconds faster and my Area 9 was much slower. I lost 8 seconds feasel here. In other areas feasel was 1-3 seconds faster. And Last area for me was slower, because i miss albatross one round kill. Otherwise i just can,t say is this run any slower than feasel did. Its still seperate category and longer though.

Quote:
The overworld route seems to be pretty good. I'm not entirely convinced there isn't a better one, but I don't have any ideas and testing them is a giant pain in the ass.

I guess there might be better map route. I watched this run several times through and i pointed there might be one better route. I just not founded it then when i working on that. If i try redo that in future i´ll look out new routes and also try got better quality run. but right now this was really good one.
Not a walrus
Quote from MASTER-88:
Quote:
It's a generally well executed run that's not quite as good as Feasel overall

Its quite par as feasel. I timed every individual levels and its look i kept same speed as feasel. My areas 5, 6, 10 was faster than feasel did. Area 6 was 10 seconds faster and my Area 9 was much slower. I lost 8 seconds feasel here. In other areas feasel was 1-3 seconds faster. And Last area for me was slower, because i miss albatross one round kill. Otherwise i just can,t say is this run any slower than feasel did. Its still seperate category and longer though.

It's pretty close, for sure, but the fact that I saw a bunch of what I considered to be route errors rather than execution errors made it harder to say it was as good. The soldier spawning in Area 1, for example, is much better if you simply walk off the edge rather than swinging off, because the timer starts when you hit a certain X value. I know I've had a couple spots in level 2 that were done faster than yours with different grabs, but I couldn't find my old test videos and I couldn't figure them out again.

None of this is a deal breaker but it made me feel like there wasn't enough experimentation. I probably could have pointed them out if I'd seen any test videos, and would have gladly done so. It seems like neither of the other verifiers spotted them, either.
Edit history:
MASTER-88: 2010-03-02 06:48:04 am
Master-88
I am also pointed out different strategys which make game even more faster. But these ones are usually too hard and risky managed in speedruns. I played every levels individually in youtube and every levels are played faster than my speedrun expect Area 6 which was my best run ever my SS attempt.

There is faster route in Area 1 first part. But i not wanted used it because its caused me tons resets make extra grapple and i was thinking it is only 1 seconds faster.

I also played area 2 used very different route than my speedrun, but i timed it is as fast as my route in my speedrun. I not thinking go through slimes used lower route before boss room save any seconds time also this method are quite difficult perform without dying. This run went really well, but i was only 1 seconds faster here than my speedrun where i make some mistakes and used very different route.

I am also tested several different routes but i not founded these save any important times. Though i skip some risky tricks in later levels, because these make me dying game too often. But its fact my run is very, very close fast as feasel run and 100% run includes more lenght. I agree my area 9 & 12 was total about 15 seconds slower than feasel did his run. My area 6 was whole 10 seconds faster than feasel & areas 5 & 10 went also about 3 seconds faster total than feasel did. In other main areas i lost 1-2 seconds feasel run i can,t compared area 7, because feasel haved fire weapon. So i can,t say my run is any slower total. You maybe need watch feasel run back and timed both runs main areas individually you surely would see there is not any serious differents for speed. My routes was different, but i think it was even faster with certain places

But its just not very good idea compared my run with feasel, because this is seperate & longer category and even i was little slower with certain places its not are big deal in hard game like this.

But i agree my main areas went 5-6 seconds total slower than feasel did. but we need add all extra areas and its make game longer.
Not a walrus
Quote from MASTER-88:
There is faster route in Area 1 first part. But i not wanted used it because its caused me tons resets make extra grapple and i was thinking it is only 1 seconds faster.

Take a look at the link in my verification message. The first part of Area 1 is only a small benefit, but once you get inside the difference is obvious and a lot smoother. And not difficult at all. According to your own comments, even my out of practice, slightly unoptimized (I think I forgot a swing somewhere) version ended up being faster than your best.

Seriously, go look at it, I want your opinion on my suggestions to that I know you at least looked. Tongue
Edit history:
MASTER-88: 2010-03-02 12:31:38 pm
Master-88
I watched it.
Your area 1 was freaking nice job also this run are maybe taking so long for you, because this seems very hard overall.  But i can,t say anythings. Its look your Area 1  was good couple (5 seconds) seconds faster than my way. Also my Area 1 was 3 seconds slower than my best individually level. But you rock here Wink and stuffs seem new for me.
Im not say anything in Area 5. It seems used my route is overall faster, but i just make mistake here. If you check out my any-% 17.32 run in archive you would be see coolest area 5 first part. Its went almost well what i was planned.
I know Area 3 through elevator glitch but its not seems any faster. There i also make mistakes what i not plan make. Its look you was very minor amount time faster here.

Area 8 route was nice for you too. I can also make it little bit faster with my own route used, but i usually waiting these bullets in speedrun, because these usually can ruin grapple and its cost quite much time. Its seems you was very minor amount faster so my route seems also as fast as. But maybe your route is less random. Let see. But its seems very good too.

I not like your area 9 route, because its seem hard and risky. Yeah my starting jump into gap was my mistake and its not was intention. Its cost me at least one second . I haved bad luck with mine carts what i normally not have. When you enter into boss its looks you not was much faster even i make tons minor time lost here.

I´ll look out it again and compared how much better your intentions seems.
Nice run Master. I have not played this game in depth, but as a casual player I enjoyed seeing all the stages beaten. So definitely a good category.

It would have been nice if they could have waited for your Ironsword run to be ready so you could have a whole update of your own. But oh well, 2/3 is not bad either...
Master-88
Quote from ktwo:
Nice run Master. I have not played this game in depth, but as a casual player I enjoyed seeing all the stages beaten. So definitely a good category.

It would have been nice if they could have waited for your Ironsword run to be ready so you could have a whole update of your own. But oh well, 2/3 is not bad either...

Thanks.:)

Im glad you liked it.

BTW i think this run is timed little different way than Feasel run. I timed feasel run are haved 4-5 seconds different time rules (used that way his time are 17:43). But yeah its hard find correct time rules game like this because AB reset still work when you are lost other controlls. Also Scot old run was timed different than feasel one.
Congratulations on the run. Your bionic arm command is very impressive.
Master-88
Quote from kareshi:
Congratulations on the run. Your bionic arm command is very impressive.

Thanks Kareshi. Thats nice to hear you liked it Wink
sda loyalist
Holy crap, I just watched this run today, and...

...  Shocked
i actually wrote something that runs every day that goes in and changes that date to the current date.

actually i didn't.