List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Game Page: http://speeddemosarchive.com/BionicCommando.html

Jeff Feasel's run

Verifier Responses

Quote:
AV quality fine, no cheating/deaths, blah blah.

Quick Answer: New run is 36 seconds faster, using the same route and overall strategy. Easy accept.

Slightly Longer Answer: New run is 2 seconds ahead by the end of Area 15. 3 seconds ahead by the end of Area 5. 5 seconds ahead by the end of Area 3, and then 6. Old run fucks up trying to enter Area 14, loses about 5 seconds, total of 11. 17 seconds ahead by the end of Area 9. 27 seconds ahead by the end of Area 7. New run fucks up on the spike in Area 10, loses a second to the old run, total of 26 ahead still. New run gains 2 back in Area 11, total of 28. Then gains 8 more seconds altogether in Area 12, notably by only taking one cycle to kill the "Albatros" instead of two.

Not as detailed as I would normally like to be, but honestly the difference in speed is so clear when watching them side by side it's not really worth explaining it much more than that. The old run's age shows in the video quality too--VHS, I'm guessing?

New run's time is 17:44, going from when the map first appears until the "Is Joe still inside?" box disappears--no more input is required after the box is closed to see the ending.

As a side question, while I don't mind the lack of level exit code, is that enough to be considered a separate category? It could save a not-insignificant amount of time--maybe 20 seconds? Nothing wrong with keeping it traditional, if that's how people feel about it.

Quote:
SNAP!

This run is good. Damn good. There are a couple mistakes but the video is so impessive otherwise its an immediate ACCEPT.

I think I was most impressed by the use his grapple horizontally at key moments, to drag himself, sometimes off ledges. Sick. Nice work.

The audio is not synced right, I believe though the entire run

Quote:
There are small little things that added up to this improvement, the little hops helped, the firing of the bazooka before the main terminal is on the screen also helps. a Lot of little frame improvements, that add up. Also better fights, and pushing forward a little faster. There was just a slightly higher level of implementation, but at the same time... There were more "minor things" missed. there were little swings that had to be cast twice that the original run didn't have. Is it really faster to bounce against the wall than hook that communication device?

Its an improvement, and it shows in little places. There are just a number more little things that make these little things, not seem as apparent.

Good focus and everything.
*Note* As this run shoots the helicopter, when Hit... I mean Master-D Finishes exploding, so does the Alabatross in the old run.

There was a little sound blurt i think at about 1:19; sounded like its naturally in the game, but I donno...

Video / audio is fine otherwise

Accept

Quote:
Verifier: btw this bionic commando run is just too awesome, i shat my pants
Verifier: planning and execution were just amazing
me: okay stop there, that's your verification quote

Decision: Accept

Reason: R.I.P. SDkess Cry

FYI, A+B+Start is not a separate category.
Thread title:  
You got a deletion wish?
The runner also submitted this to TG (verified five days ago) and they don't allow the A-B-Start exiting.
Hi! I'm andrewg!
awesome job! Smiley
Not a walrus
Quote from mikwuyma:

What this means to me is that if somebody submits a run with it they'd better improve the time by more than that or it should get rejected. Tongue
Hi! I'm andrewg!
Quote from UraniumAnchor:
Quote from mikwuyma:

What this means to me is that if somebody submits a run with it they'd better improve the time by more than that or it should get rejected. Tongue

That's interesting. I mean, if someone beats the run with the A+B+Start thing by even a few seconds will it be accepted?
Visually Appealing
if a new run is very sloppy, and beats this time solely because of the restart code, it should be rejected.
Not a walrus
Quote from andrewg:
Quote from mikwuyma:

That's interesting. I mean, if someone beats the run with the A+B+Start thing by even a few seconds will it be accepted?

If using the code saves, say, 20 seconds, and a new run shows up that's only 15 seconds faster... then the run is technically 5 seconds SLOWER. That's my thinking. Using the code is a simple enough step that the time should be discounted when considering how good the overall run is.

Maybe I'm wrong about that, though.
difficult and stupidly random
FYI the difference in time with and without using the A+B+Start trick is about 30 seconds.  The two neutral areas can be exit early (saving 10 and 9 seconds respectively).  The big time-saver is in Area 7 -- you must use the (awful) 3-way gun to break the barrier, but then you can exit and switch back to the rocket launcher.  Exiting and re-entering the level costs about 7 seconds.  The boss fight using the 3-way gun takes 33 seconds, assuming you land the point-blank shot upon your initial swing (which i didn't this time), and assuming you know how to manipulate the boss into mostly standing still (which i did).  But the boss fight with the rocket launcher only takes about 15 seconds (it is identical to that of Area 6).  Thus the overall time savings is 10+9-7+33-15 = 30 seconds using A+B+Start.

I followed this restriction because (1) i like submitting to TG despite their somewhat-arbitrary rules, and (2) that's the way Kessler did it and i wanted to demonstrate that i could do better, without the confounding factor of a different rule-set.

I do hope that reviewers of future BC runs will take this into account.  Someone who uses A+B+Start and beats my time by less than 25 seconds (30 seconds, minus the 5 seconds i lost because of missing the point-blank shot on the Area 7 boss) will only have done so because of a different rule-set rather than superior gameplay.  I'm glad to see that other people seem to feel the same way.
Quote from andrewg:
Quote from mikwuyma:

If using the code saves, say, 20 seconds, and a new run shows up that's only 15 seconds faster... then the run is technically 5 seconds SLOWER. That's my thinking. Using the code is a simple enough step that the time should be discounted when considering how good the overall run is.

Maybe I'm wrong about that, though.

No, you're right. Treat it like Seth Glass's Mega Man 2 runs. First a no-glitches run, then a run with glitches.
Master-88
I just wanted say this run was fucking awesome. Shocked

Scott run was one my favorite Nes game run into site, this one was huge improvement. Nice run Jeff. Smiley New guy into site and he make one top coolest nes run ever. I can,t say is it best run into site, but it is at least one my favorite runs ever.

This really looks you spend at least 25 hours with this.  Wink
Not a walrus
The timing is off, if we're going by the same end point in the new run then the old run was actually 18:13. Wink

Still a nice chunk on what I thought was a pretty good run to begin with.
I'm pretty sure I timed this run correctly, if anything was timed incorrectly, it was the old run.

The start point I used was frame 469, when all of the units appear on the map.

The end point I used was frame 63880, when the main character (Joe?) reaches the top.
Not a walrus
Well, you could argue that the control doesn't stop until the "Is joe still inside" dialog box disappears (you have to hit A or it doesn't go away), but I don't care either way just as long as it's consistent.

Also, Joe is the guy you rescue, you're playing Captain Rad ("Ladd"?) Spencer, according to BCR.
Ah, I don't think you understand that we use character control as the measure, not just any control.
Not a walrus
Well, the old run went to the dialog box, so that's the measure I thought we were using. Wink Whichever.