Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
1-Up!
Game Page: http://speeddemosarchive.com/BeavisAndButtheadGen.html

SS 100% run and any% run

Verifier Responses

Quote:
Watched both videos.

Noticed no visual/audio issues.  Well, there was a slight distortion at the bottom of the screen during the credits, but nothing bothered me elsewhere.  And it's the credits.  Who cares.

Didn't detect any cheating.

It's a shame that in both runs, the worst-looking part is the very start in the sewers and junkyard.  But, I looked at the old run, and even though the new run takes many more hits and looks more sloppy, it appears to be a second or two faster.  So, speed over style, I guess.

The rest of the run has only a few minor hiccups, and is otherwise quite smooth and efficient.  The routes & strategies look sound.

I would accept both versions (any% & best ending).

Quote:
No cheating and virtually no video issues.  The video is cleaner in these videos than my shaky cam VHS capture, for sure.

God am I glad someone is replacing this run of mine.  My other 'shaky cam' runs are at least pretty optimized, but this one always looked slightly sloppy, even to me, after enough time had passed.

Aha so this person did two runs for 'both endings.'  Lol.  Yeah, I remember Radix being really confused about why I sent him two endings to the same run.  It just didn't make any sense to me to have two categories when I could just run the 'longer' version and show both endings.  In truth, I'm STILL not sure there should be two categories, but this guy went ahead and did em both anyway?  Well then shucks.  I guess it's up to SDA whether they really want to waste virtual storage space like this, but I guess it wouldn't require a lot.

Awww the runner didn't even MENTION me?  Oh come on, he basically just copy and pasted my route!

As for the sewers and junkyard, I am totally okay with these parts being rough.  It's the hardest and most random part of the game and the fastest way to do it is to just ruuun through everything, so when I was running it I always started with these levels, as our runner did here, and employed a similar strategy.  Though, being an observer this time instead of the player, I really have to wonder why this runner did not take more damage in the interest of speed; I wouldn't have mentioned this but I kind of mentioned that for my own run, so I was hoping he would've corrected my mistake.  He definitely took more damage than me overall, but I think he still could've taken more.  After all, he got through with plenty of life left, so wasting time waiting for the right moment and jumping over a rat or something was unnecessary. 

And yeah, that flub with Mr. Anderson does make the beginning of this run just that much harder to watch.  But again, I'm going easy on the runner here, so next level.

Good idea to grab the burger while you're grabbing the rat.  I should've done that. 

Good job not hitting anything during the scooter scene!  Wish i hadn't done that part with a lagging recorder.

Mall:  The runner has more life than me here so he ran through more cops.  Good.  Also, good job not alerting the Carl in the mall!  Why the hell didn't I think of that??  Or wait, does he spawn randomly in the room?  Can't remember.

Much like in the Sewers, the jumping at the Drive-in could have been a bit more precise.

Couple of flubs at the GWAR concert.

Regular Ending:

Lol, this feels so stupid having two entire runs for this. 

Pretty much the same so far.  It seems slightly more optimized though. 

Oops, hit a medpack during the scooter scene.

Oops he farted on that bird.  Oh hey!  That's a really nice strategy for getting past Carl in the mall!  Ends this level with a little disorientation at the exit.

Little flub going back into the concession stand at the Drive-In.

Mkay.  That run done too.

Both accepts.  They're better than mine, so this decision is pretty simple.  Though, I'm honestly not sure where all the saved time came from.  It's like the exact same run as the one I submitted.  I guess he saved time on execution.  EDIT:  After some research, I've determined that the biggest time savers were taking more damage all throughout the Sewers/Streets area in favor of speed and getting past the Carl and the cops in the mall.  But other than that, our 'routes' were pretty much identical in every way, aside from inventory arrangement which hardly affects anything. 

But again, at the end of the day, it's faster.  That's usually all I'm going to need.  Hopefully the runner decides to mention me in his final comments though.  Also, it does seem terribly pointless to have both of these runs.  The cat/pizza and the scissors are about the only things that make the runs different, and those cost about 5 seconds or something to obtain and use.  Obviously there's the extra half-minute you gotta do at the GWAR concert, but this seems more like an appropriate place to show a "run branch" if you will where there's an extra segment showing what would have been different from this spot onwards.  But yeah, I guess then you'd miss out on the dumb cat and scissors.  If the first run was a 100% run, then the second is like a 99% run.  It''d probably be better to say Run A and Run B.  Or for that matter:  Run A and Run A.1

But whatever.  I guess technically they're different, and you don't get/use the scissors and the cat at the same place, so host em both if you'd like.  Just seems a little silly.  Lol.

Accepts.

Quote:
Everything looked good for the Short (3rd Row) run.

Everything looked good on the Long (On Stage) run as well.

Passed!

Quote:
Faster than the old run. Any run of this game will necessarily look messy because of all the damage taken, but it saves time, honest!

Not sure there needs to be two categories for this game? :p

Quote from mikwuyma:
What's the time difference for the runs?

Quote:
The official video labels (approximately verified by myself):

any%: 11:15
100%: 12:17

So about a minute's difference; the 100% is 9-10% longer than the any%.

I'm not too choked up about only hosting a 100% run, since it's little more than extra gameplay tacked on at the end; it's like playing the final, optional level before triggering the credits.  There's also collecting the scissors & cat, but the any% ends up walking right by the scissors anyways (to get the complete healing).  And collecting the cat is just a second round of couch fishing (the pizza bait is no detour at all).

But make sure to put a notice at the top of the game page to indicate that we won't accept any%/not-best-ending runs, just to avoid a new runner deciding to work on the other "unfilled" category, only to be disappointed later.

Decision: Accept the 100%, Reject the any%

Reason: The 100% run is solid and there's not enough difference between the two to merit hosting both categories.

Congratulations to Richard Gibson!

The any% run will be available for a month. PM me for a link.
Thread title:  
Thanks for the verification, verifiers.

Also, sorry InsipidMuckyWater for not mentioning your run in the comments.  To be 100% honest, I had the route figured out on my own a long time ago and it was just a matter of sitting down with the recording equipment and running it.  However, once I found your run and watched it, I did pick up on a few things, like the energy at the far right end of the high school is one that comes to mind.  I didn't even know it existed.  I certainly should have given you credit for that but simply forgot to in my rush to write comments.
Not a walrus
No reason you can't revise your comments.
Alright, I finally found some time to revise my comments.  Should I email them to one of the mods, or just attach them here?
Exoray
Just pm Flip with the updated ones.
Done.  Thanks, moooh.