mikwuyma: 2010-11-19 12:41:10 am
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Game Page: http://speeddemosarchive.com/BattletoadsAndDoubleDragon.html

Patrick 'PJ' DiCesare's Lee brother run

Verifier Responses

Quote:
A/V - Good

Cheating - Nothing I notice

The pointed out all the really nit picky stuff. So I will assume they will know what needs to be improved and what does not. So with that said, not much to say really. The run has some great new strats. But it looked rather rough. I can see this being ran again with cleaner play by the runner or another runner and being replaced rather quickly. But it is still overall better than the current run.

I give this a weaker accept. Not a weak accept though. A step higher than that.

Quote:
The sound and video quality are good. The actual gameplay is sometimes weak but considering the game and the difficulty I think you can let it slide. He dies a few times, he does this to skip some parts but there are still deaths that look unnecessary. There is no cheating.

I would accept based on the difficulty of the game.

Quote:
Audio and video ok, no cheating detected. This run is around 45 seconds faster than Evil_Guru's effort.
* The new run starts out slower and is at some point in level 3 almost 10 seconds behind the new run. It's not easy to keep track of exactly where the time is lost as both runs are generous when it comes to mistakes (it should be mentioned that considering the nature of this game, it's to some extent understandable).
* Level 4 is where most of the improvement is done. The new run is around 40 seconds faster thanks to much more aggressive playing.
* Level 5 is a battle back and forth between the two runs on who makes the most mistakes. Getting behind during the level, the new run executes a clinical boss fight and ends up a one or two seconds ahead.
* Both runs perform about equally in level 6, but the new run saves a few seconds by running to the exit without waiting for the electric barriers to align.
* Level 7 is short and without serious mistakes in both runs. The new run gets a very good first combo on the Dark Queen and ends the fight a couple of seconds before the old run.

Timing: The first movement appear on frame 1821 and the last hit on the Dark Queen is inflicted on frame 78596. Provided my reference points are correct, that would mean a time of 21.19.

Recommendation : More aggressive strategies and being a second cleaner here and there pay off. The new run deserves a spot on sda and I therefore recommend to accept it. There is still a lot of time to shave though. I'd say sub 21 minutes is a realistic goal for the next challenger who steps up. If one of the super players here would take it on, maybe even down towards mid 20 would be achievable.

Quote:
I time a 21:22 (start of control at Level 1, end at last hit on DQ).

Runner's comments should be edited to include Damurdoc's run (runner is probably fairly new and didn't know about his).

Runner is behind the preceding run until the mine dumping in Level 4 and stays in front for the rest of the run.

I can respect the death abuse on Level 3 since the improvement is obvious, but there appeared to be a couple of suicides that were unnecessary before them.  I am aware of the flame glitch (the TAS did it as well and it's only a graphical glitch).

Level 5: Best - Robo - Manus - Fight - Ever

Tough decision on this one considering the runner was behind the preceding run for the first half of the game.  Accepting due to improvement and hope we see a run that has its "A" game from start to finish.

Decision: Accept

Reason: It's an improvement over the previous run.
Thread title:  
Edit history:
PJ: 2010-11-18 06:05:16 pm
Is PJ
Yea, I pretty much agree with all the comments.  This game isn't fun for me to run, but an improvement was necessary.  I probably won't redo this one for all the reasons I listed in my comments.  It's just an annoying game to run with pretty poor combat mechanics for a Btoads game.  That being said, I hope somebody watches this run and uses my strategies to make a better run.  Sub-21 is definitely possible, but I will not do it.

Actually, Heidman should probably run this game.  It is somewhat a beat-em-up, but he can cut a huge amount of time on level 4 just from inhuman button mashing that I can't ever match.

Thanks for the verification!

Edit:  I'll have to check again where my deaths are.  As far as I remember, I had like 8 intentional deaths on level 3 to save a few seconds, but I had a lot of really ugly deaths on level 4 from playing really, really sloppily.  There was one death abuse shortcut I missed in level 5, too.
Good job PJ.

-James
Willing to teach you the impossible
Well, with that said, I will look into it. I cant refuse an offer like that. I will say I was a verifier. So I know about the run. I will say WTF though. I had no idea it was your run. I guess I will look at e-bay and see what I can find. Your run was damn good though.

Note to mike, could I get a link for this run again. I will pm you as well.

(After some time on e-bay) I am sure I can get my own cart for this one. I already have your X2 cart still anyway. I will see what I can do for this game.
Is PJ
Heidman, I promise it'd be my pleasure to help you out.  Even if I do the entire game flawlessly, you are still the best candidate for the run because of the button mashing in level 4.  Plus you're a beat-em-up player.  If you want to wait until the marathon, I'll let you have my cart.  No problem.  Wink
Willing to teach you the impossible
I wanna focus on the marathon till its over now. So I guess I will put yet another run on hold. Thanks PJ. But I guess I can do some research on it at least. See if I can find anything that can save time.