Use \ before commas in usernames
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Game Page: http://speeddemosarchive.com/Battletoads.html

2-player PAL run and Chris Foreman's warpless run

Verifier Responses

Warpless run verification

Quote:
Battletoads NES - Warpless

Video-Audio: Video is fine for verification standards and I'm sure will be better upon final encode if it's accepted. There are some notable problems with audio however. Stereo image gets distorted quite a bit (first example right off the bat during the rappelling form the ship cutscene) and there is a lot of noise in the audio recording. I would rate the audio quality of this as 6/10.

Cheating: none.

Synopsis:

Level 1 - well done.
Level 2 - a few small misses, maybe totalling three seconds or so. Overall well done.
Level 3 - Can't imagine it getting much faster than this.
Level 4 - In spite of the runner's comments about passive play, there are some impressive risks taken and they pay off. Highlight of the run.
Level 5 - Walker got the best of you, but nothing big. Blag fight is good, if a teeny bit conservative.
Level 6 - Outside of taking a little time at the first hole exit this is pretty much optimal. Glad to see you're having a little fun.
Level 7 - A few tiny slips before the rocket and then of course smooth sailing.
Level 8 - Very well done! Robbed at the end at Robo Manus and I think you lose your nerve a little bit afterwards but still a good fight and a great level.
Level 9 - Risks with the spikes paid off.
Level 10 - Oooohhh boy. Now, I'm really, really torn. Early level end is missed by an unfortunate miss of the bomb making the rat boot impossible, and while the next two races aren't bad, they along with the boss fight (which is also very unlucky) add on 2:20 of time to the run. Is that a deal breaker after such a great run leading up to this point? THAT is a question for the ages…
Level 11 - Very good except for the orb, which really doesn't start out so well (as you point out.)
Level 12 - Nicely done, with the occasional forgetting of when to jump to scroll up and trigger the next sequence. Close call with the 2nd red rhino! One marginal delay at the missed jump on the springboards. Queen fight is not terrific, lots of deaths.

Pros - Extremely thorough knowledge of game, top marks for preparation, stellar (I would say almost untouchable) execution of the "platforming" segments and a level of risky play that goes for the balls.

Cons - RAT RACE. The unfortunate reality is that by missing the rat boot it eliminates what is probably the most singular time-saver in the game. Boss fights generally are also not so hot. Sound quality is acceptable but is far from great.

Verdict: (and this is after a long, long deliberation) Reject.

I want to sincerely apologize to the runner for giving this verdict, because I think this run is extremely exciting, entertaining, and skillful. I'm really, really sorry. You show almost total and dominating mastery over a game that is generally considered to be brutally unfair and difficult. I think you're amazing.

My main issue, which I myself have been stung by recently, is that the single greatest time saving maneuver doesn't happen. And it was just a simple overcalculation of the bomb boot, I KNOW, just shitty luck, and it kills me to be negative about missing out on that. The boss fights, the sound quality, they didn't tip the scales really, it's mostly the fact that the rat skip didn't work. It sucks that it happens so far into the run, and I feel like a coldhearted bastard for saying no, but I do believe that that skip needs to happen in order for an accept. You could have played super sloppy, unbelievably sloppy, made the rat skip and still have come out ahead by a full minute on your time. Yes, the time is 45 seconds better than the existing run. The only thing is, right now I'm looking at "Battletoads No Warps 33:34" and all I can think about is "31:10." And it makes me feel like a total douchebag to shit on this otherwise amazing run as the result of a simple missed boot. I hate having to be that guy.

You've proven the existing run can be obsoleted, and by virtue of that, it should. I want you to beat that time very badly, you're definitely the person to do it. And if I'm the only verifier who feels this way and this run gets published, then we'll all get to see a great run.

With respect

Quote:
Gameplay
--------
I made a rough level-by-level comparison between the current and the new run to see where the time was saved.

Level 1: 4-5 seconds gained by cleaning up some of the mistakes in the previous run.
Level 2: 3-4 seconds lost. The scrolling stopped in a few places by not taking out the enemies as soon as possible.
Level 3: 9 seconds gained. Half of the level is an autoscroller, but the first half with the beat-em up was much cleaner.
Level 4: 6 seconds gained. More aggresive here and there payed off. Still one or two execution mistakes costing a couple of seconds.
Level 5: Mostly autoscroller, but still 3-4 seconds lost. The runner screwed up against the stilt robot (or whatever...).
Level 6: Viewer discretion advised here. Lots of humping between toads and snakes, which everyone should know is not natural by any means. This is really not what we want to educate our kids with. Anyways, 1 second gained. The previous run messed up the exiting of the first room, but caught up a little bit with a riskier exit in room 3 (if I counted the rooms correctly).
Level 7: The runner got tossed around by some mean rats and ended up losing 3 seconds. The runner also mentioned more time to be saved with better preparations, but it looked fine to me (except for the mistake).
Level 8: Mostly good and aggresive playing up to Robomanus (the way we like it Smiley ), which brings the new run around 20 seconds ahead (the old run had an ugly death though). In the end, the new run is 13-14 seconds faster after some trouble with getting the combos going on Robomanus and we also have the first death of the run.
Level 9: Woooshhh... Watching this makes me feel all warm inside. Extremely aggresive playing with new risky shortcuts and everything well executed in this very tricky level. Around 17 seconds faster than the old run. Hands down, the highlight of the run.
Level 10: Both the new and the old run had a couple of misses, but the new run is still a second or two faster with the rat races. That was however lost against General Slaughter for an end result of around two seconds lost plus one death added to the count. Some time could undoubtely have been saved by less mistakes, but I think that's only of academic interest since I assume that any future improvements will include the Scuzz boot (or at least I hope so).
Level 11: 4 or 5 seconds faster boss fight. Apparently punching and throwing the hypno orb like the old run was not the way to go...
Level 12: A few mistakes in both runs, but overall good platforming. Both runs arrive at the Dark Queen almost exactly at the same time. More aggresive combos and better luck with Dark Queen's movements, the new run ends up 9-10 seconds ahead.

Summary
-------
So roughly 45-50 seconds better than the old run. Mostly because of more aggresive playing, better platforming, a touch better luck and some nice risky shortcuts. So basically better than the old run in every way. I'd say that very roughly a minute more could be shaved off with great execution and luck (without including the Scuzz boot). However, this is a pretty badass game (as I'm sure everyone knows), so I'd be surprised if anyone would get that low. Speedruns of Battletoads are awesome and improvements are always welcome. While this is no doubt a great effort and an entertaining watch, I'll save the "A+" mention for the day I'll see a run with the Scuzz boot and without deaths. Grin Until then...

ACCEPT

Quote:
Audio/Video stuff:  Looks good to me.

Cheating?  Not from what I can tell.  Looks perfectly legit.

(I am addressing these comments to the author, not to Mike or anybody else.  Note that "you" = "the author")

Since I am not a fan of anonymity, I will say that I am PJ.  I have a lot of experience with running this game, so I can definitely relate to your comments and mistakes.  You know where your mistakes were for the most part, and the other verifiers already made a comparisan between this video and the previous run, level by level, so I don't really have anything else to contribute there.  I do want to mention some things that I think were overlooked though, and share some of my strategies for these levels just in case you want to rerun this in the future (before I myself run this, at least).

First of all, there are some attack choices I don't really agree with.  Maybe in the course of the entire run it costs 6-7 seconds, but it is still worth mentioning.  The slowest attack in the entire game is the boot.  It has more wind-up and cooldown than all of the other attacks in the game (except for when it is a standing finisher, like in level 7 & 8 and the boss battles).  The headbutt is faster than the boot, and the fastest attacks are the standing finishers and a stick swing.  Whenever practical, you want to choose the faster attacks.  I'll point those out in the level-by-level notes.

I am quite sure you know this, but if you are dashing you can do a standing attack by just releasing the dpad.  Even if you are moving at dash speeds, the 'Toad won't headbutt unless you are still holding forward.  Some time can be saved in level 7 by using this to attack with the standing finishers (or the weak punch) instead of the headbutt, especially when the headbutt sends you away from another target.  It seems miniscule, but it really does add up and is not difficult to do.

That being said, let's talk about these levels:

Level 1:

It is easier for me to just make a video showing my intended route than to try to describe it:

This route is only ~3 seconds faster than your level, mostly because I think I kill the first walker slower than you since I waited for him to recover so I could headbutt him.  Maybe not the best choice.  It does remove his skull from the battlefield though, so I don't end up targetting it by accident later.  Whatever.  Anyways, note how I finish every enemy with a headbutt instead of the boot, and try to finish every enemy to the right so I don't have to backtrack at all.  Again, this is just a minor suggestion.

Boss kill looks good.  No problems there.

Level 2:

Thanks for showing me how badly I need to practice this level.  ^_^  It looks very good to me.  One of the verifiers mentioned you lost time compared to the current run, but it still looks very good.  I'm not complaining.

Level 3:

Looks good to me.  You lose "manliness" points for not playing at the far right side of the screen, but it obviously doesn't matter with regards to your time.  The only legit warning I have for you here is to make sure you're hitting the checkpoints at the far right side of the screen each time.  I know you did for most of them, and it doesn't really save much time anyways, but it does save a little time.

Level 4:

You can definitely save some time by being more aggressive.  There are a few places where you can save 1-2 seconds (first barrier, the zigzag hill with the snowballs rolling down, the other barrier where you got hit), but you know about those already.  There's one time saver that wasn't mentioned, but there's likely a good reason for that: it's damn hard.  In the checkpoint with the barrier that needs to be broken by snowballs after the spike pit and moving platform, it is possible to get to the landing a few seconds (3 or so) sooner.  The snowman will throw snowballs sooner and it'll break earlier.  This requires a short dash jump from the edge of the platform before the icicle falls, and holding down once you get to the icicle.  After you land on the platform, you have to jump pretty much immediately to the landing, otherwise it'll moev too far away.  It's really tricky, but it does save time.  Just something to consider in the future.

Overall, this level is very good still.

Level 5:

Yea, minor slip up against the walker.  No big deal.  There are only two other improvements I have to mention here:  First, use the headbutt against the second walker instead of the boot by just pressing attack a little bit sooner. Second, tank a hit against a log and then lose 2 bits of health from the whirlpools so all the space invaders will just fly overhead.  It is much faster than trying to fight them and reclaim your health.  Playing the level with 1 health is not a concern either, since 1 hit is death in this level, except for the walkers and Blag.  If Blag hits you, you're likely dead regardless so this is even faster.  I suggest you try it if you redo this in the future.

Nice job on Blag and the mines.  Smiley

Level 6:

Not sure why you didn't do the death skip at the end.  There is literally no risk at all with that trick.  I have not missed that in 2 years of playing.

Level 7:

Standing finishers > headbutt against the rats to the left.  Very nice log jumping, though!  I mess that up a surprising amount.  Just for the record, it is faster to dash jump across that gap than it is to use the logs, but even I don't dare try that in a real run and I play with relentless aggression.

Level 8:

The beginning jumps through the 'conveyer' things can be done slightly faster, but it also usually triggers a game over glitch against Robo Manus so I definitely don't hold that against you.

I think this is your most impressive level.  The fight with Robo Manus is very impressive to me.  I am not nearly as proficient with the juggles, and I haven't beaten him with only 1 death in a very long time.  The level itself was as fast as possible, as far as I know (with the exception of the first few jumps).  Great work here!

Level 9:

This is where things change for me.  See, this is my favorite level in the entire game and when I downloaded this, I immediately skipped here to see what you decided to do for a route.  This level has, by far, the most route variation.  It can be tailored so much to match your level of aggression and risk.  It really is a remarkable level.  That being said, here is a link to a video of my intended route through this level:

As I said before, I play with extreme aggression and no fear, and I understand the need to play it a bit safer during a warpless run in particular.  However, my video is close to 30 seconds faster.  That's very significant.

I obviously didn't expect to see these strategies in the video because of how risky they can be and because I also didn't make my strats public until now, but if you redo this run someday, you should definitely check it out.  The time savings come from the first and last checkpoints in particular.  It can actually be run 5-15 seconds faster than my video through some super risky tactics in the final checkpoint with a success rate so low that it would make even the most reckless gambler cringe.  This level also has an unreal amount of very nasty run-ending glitches that pop up if you try some of those alternate strats, but I would still definitely try them.

All that aside, you did a very good job of running this level.  There was minimal hesitation on all of those tricks and shortcuts, which takes a lot of confidence for being so late in the run.  Of all of your levels though, this one has the most room for improvement.

Level 10:

Missed the rat boot.  Yes, it cost a lot of time.  Yes, it is a shame.  Is it worth a rejection?  Absolutely not.  It is a somewhat picky trick that falls late in the run, and you even use a riskier setup than I do in my runs.  I absolutely do not blame you for missing that.  I can totally relate to that situation, because I missed that a few times when going after your any% time.  Smiley

You recovered well, but had a slip up on General Slaughter.  It's always painful to see that.

Level 11:

This is the most disappointing level for me personally.  There is so much time that can be cut from this boss battle just from a better strategy and more aggression.  I have not timed my own battle, but I am pretty confident that I can cut at least 15 seconds off of this time.  During his first pattern, it is faster to trap him on the right side, because you can headbutt him more frequently there.  It does require waiting for a second or two so he can get to that side, but it is definitely faster and more consistent.  During the second phase, it is very easy to headbutt him during his super jump.  Very easy.  When he super jumps, run to the far left and time the headbutt to hit him to the right as he is falling.  You can follow it up with 3-4 more headbutts so he is in the corner, and then just repeat.  This boss is extremely easy with practice and has pretty much no variation with his pattern.

I do understand that it is late into a great run, but I believe that battle is the largest single mistake in this run with the exception of the rat miss.

Level 12:

There are a lot of time savers in this level, which I am sure you are aware of.  I myself have not decided which ones are valuable to attempt so late into a run, but they are definitely there.

First off, the yellow rhinos can be killed faster.  The two options I see here are to either hit them with the stick and boot them, or still kill him solely with the stick but dashing to him between each hit like I mentioned before the level-by-level notes.  The boot is somewhat tough to do, but nothing unreasonable.  At the very least, if you are concerned about safety you can still kill with the stick while dashing.  It will save a few seconds total and not put you in harm's way at all.

The second green cloud can be killed faster, too.  I used to hate trying to fight him since I never had a plan, but I have since found a way to do it.  When he first dives at you, run straight for the spring, and headbutt him just to the side of it.  Then just jump on the spring and kill him quickly with jump-swings.  Once on the way up, once on the way back down.  It works surprisingly well and is not too hard.  Even so, I've messed it up in runs just because nerves prevent me from doing so, so your approach might be the better way to do it in a real run under pressure.  Wink

The spring section is the major flaw of this level, as I'm sure you are aware.  Even without the missed jump, it is still 10 seconds slower than just jumping straight away.  I often mess this up, even during practice, so I usually jump immediately for the first three springs and then wait one revolution for the final spring, which I find much more consistent.  That's still 5 seconds faster than waiting for both springs.

On a brighter note, I am very very impressed by the way you handle the red rhinos and the final jumps with the yellow cloud.  The red rhinos are extremely intimidating normally, so the fact that you just rushed them down is very impressive.  I need to practice that now.  Haha.  That last section with the cloud was done without any hesitation which is also pretty ballsy.  I wait awhile to make sure I control where he is, so again I am impressed.

Everything else I mentioned was great too, of course, but it didn't stand out like those points.  As I'm sure you've guessed, there's a solid list of shortcuts and improvements if you can dash jump consistently under pressure in the middle of the best run of your life.  We both know that the odds of a human being able to do that are pretty slim, so I won't even waste your time mentioning them.

Level 13!

Pretty reasonable Dark Queen fight.  You can hit her more frequently with some air headbutts, but again that's a stupid thing to expect in a run.

Verdict:  ACCEPT.

"But PJ, he missed the rat boot."  Well yea, but so did the current run.  This run has significantly faster gameplay throughout and is extremely entertaining.  It is also deathless (minus the bosses because they don't count).  There is absolutely no reason for this to NOT obsolete the current run.  There is plenty of room for improvement still, but it's Battletoads so chances are we won't ever see a perfect run.  Congrats on a great run, runner!

2p PAL run verification

Quote:
I'm not sure I'm able to verify since I don't have anyone to play this game 2p with. Or I would need some comments from either the runners or the other verifiers regarding a couple of things I noticed in the run. By just watching and comparing with the 1p warped run, this looks to be quite a lot slower if converted to NTSC-timing.

- Level 3. Isn't it possible to use some coop strat against some of the rats ? Like one player knocks the rat down, while the other prepares a finishing move or something ?
- Level 5. Wouldn't it be faster to use some coop strat and knock Blarg back and forth between the players ? The TAS uses an almost instant kill. It just looks like the TAS is setting up for a finishing move by beating up player 2, but saves the move for the boss. Is that feasible on console ?
- Level 8. There is no way that was a fast completion of the level. Is it really normal that a 2p warp run is that much slower than a 1p no-warp run ?
- Level 9. The recent no-warp run was ages faster. Beating most of the enemies instead of jumping over, not using shortcuts and slowing down before every cog wheel race. Is it really normal that a 2p warp run is that much slower than a 1p no-warp run ?
- Level 11. Boss strategy ? Can I get some more comments on why this method was used ?
- Level 12. Waiting on every spring. Necessary ? Would it be possible to coop the rhinos ?
- Level 13 (Dark Queen). I'm sorry to say this, but it seems like the current sda run is timed until the screen turns black and the end cut scene starts. That would make this run "with deaths". It might be a technicality, but I believe the Dark Queen could have been dealt with faster if the runners had taken more risks and tried to get more hits while she was in her "tornado" phase.

I stress that most of the above are just big question marks for me. I'd instinctively go for a rejection since the current 1p runs seem to be faster. However, if there are convincing reasons for doing like it's done in the run, I'd be interested to hear about it.

Quote:
Hello Mike,
  Verified arguably one of speed running's holy grails, two player nes battletoads (it's close to the top of the want list near nes contra done 2P)

no cheating
visual has a hiccup during the surf level
audio is good

Level 1 - I blinked
Level 3 - Exactly what you'd expect
Level 5 - More of what you'd expect from a mostly auto-scrolling level
Level 6 - As fast as you can go since you have to wait for the slow ass snakes
Level 8 - Somewhat conservative play here.  But watching it a second time, it's not too bad.  Watching the boss get his salad tossed like that was entertaining.
Level 9 - Some more conservative play here.  This level is where I wonder if the runners were prioritizing "no damage" over speed.  Hmmm....
Level 10 - That was hot
Level 11 - PAL version FTW.  Boss fight was okay.  I think we recently established that throwing the orb may not be optimal.  Seems like they could have taken advantage of the second toad more.
Level 12 - Some minor bumps here with enemies and such.  But this late in the game and with how fickle those tower platforms can be, I'll cut a little slack for a 2P run.
Dark, but hot, Queen - I can't believe how much she gets fisted.  Anyway, definite death here, sorry runners.  The Queen takes a couple hits after combo'ing that toad before the KO.  But this is a speedrun, so it's okay to die... sometimes.

In summary, it's a very clean run, especially considering this is the NES Battletoads and it's 2P.  I was kind of on the fence with the slower gameplay in levels 8 and 9 but I'm going to ACCEPT.  Congrats to both runners on a pretty studly feat here.

But it does need to be posted "with deaths".

Quote:
Hey Mike, I guess here are my comments for this run.  I was going to take a lot of time and really go over everything I noticed, but that would take me a few weeks.  Really.

Audio/video quality:  Video quality is really bad.  It is nearly unwatchable for me, and I am not a stickler for video quality at all.  In fact, most of my older runs are rather blurry.  This is just ridiculous though.  Hopefully the final version is higher quality than what we saw.  Audio did not sound right at some parts.  Perhaps that is a function of the PAL version.  I don't know since I haven't played it.

Cheating?  There are some things I was questioning while watching this run, but it honestly doesn't even matter to me if they cheated at this point.  It clearly didn't help.

Again, I'm going to come right out and say that I am PJ.  I first learned this game playing it 2P with my brother because I, at the time, wasn't good enough to beat Rat Race, Clinger Winger, or the final level on my own.  After I finally learned the game, he and I still played it 2P several times per day throughout an entire summer.  We have done a few "speed runs" since then, but they usually rapidly turn into playarounds since we get tired of reseting.  He has since moved 2000 miles away so we can't do this run anymore.  Anyways, I am no stranger to running this game 2P, so although I can relate to some of the "coordination" issues the authors mention, I still have a huge list of issues with this run.

Level 1:

The author's claim this is as fast as possible, but that's not quite right.  The pigs can be headbutted slightly sooner, and player 1 should have run to the left first so he could headbutt the pig to the right.  That way, player 2 doesn't have to wait for the screen to advance to hit the warp.

Level 3:

Why is there so much standing around?  My verdict was mostly made up when I saw the beginning of this level, but I continued watching anyways of course.  The reason to play this game 2P is to make it fun/entertaining and to show off some really cool enemy killing.  There is absolutely no reason for one player to just stand around as the other slowly finishes off a rat.  The rats should be killed instantly with 2 players.  No excuse to not do so.  Any two players with reasonable skill in this game can do that without messing up or hitting each other.

Perhaps the runners should've taken some of the time it took them to coordinate the movements during the speeder bike race to figure out how to kill enemies.  Oh, and this was the slowest possible way to finish the race.  Hitting the checkpoints on the far right is highly recommended, because it will start the next checkpoint sooner.  Waiting at the far left is literally the slowest possible way to finish this level.

I don't think I agree with the choice of warping on level 3.  Level 4 is faster then level 5, and far less random.  I see no reason to choose to play through level 5, especially if they choose to not do the quick Blag kill.

Level 5:

One player should have tanked a hit off a log and then taken some damage on the whirlpool so the other player can redirect a finishing move off of him into Blag.  It's tricky yes, but it's also a speed run.  There should be some tricks involved.  Of course, this would take away from the "no hit until Dark Queen" point, so the authors maybe deliberately avoided this monumental shortcut for a minor selling point.

Again, the coordination can be much faster when killing those walkers.  For the first one, both players can headbutt from either side before the walker even appears, and his legs will go flying everywhere.  He is vulnerable slightly before he appears.  Even if you don't opt for that, you can both still simultaneously headbutt after he appears and kill him faster.

Level 6:

Fine.  Pretty boring for a 2P run, though.  Not sure how you can play it with 2 players and not play around more on this stage.  It doesn't cost time and looks so much better.  I can't hold that against you, but that's just a personal gripe.

Level 8:

Wow.  They went so slow at the beginning that they missed the electric barrier and had to stand in place for it to go away.  I don't think that has ever happened to me before.  Regardless, this level was really slow.  I won't even bother pointing out all the ways to speed it up.

Robo-Manus fight was good at least.

Level 9:

This run is 2 minutes slower than my run through this level.  2 minutes.  Granted, 30 seconds of those improvements are not really doable with 2 players, but that's still a huge margin.  It is not that difficult of a level 2-player.  Honestly, it is not.  In fact, it is so easy to play with 2 players still, that when my brother and I played we tried to kill each other with the gears by running ahead and not waiting for each other.  It ended up working perfectly because we both went as fast as possible.  If you really insist on coordinating the actions, use visual cues that are already in place.  For example, for the first gear race, start running once the lower person falls from the gyrocopter.  Easy.  Works every time.  There are plenty of ways to coordinate movements without standing in place and counting to three.

The enemies can be killed/avoided much much faster.  I just see no effort to incorporate any risk into this run, and it just adds so much time.  This is a speed run, not a longplay.

There's one thing that really, really bothers me above all the other mistakes on this level.  Considering the amount of experience you two must have playing together to attempt a 2P run of this, you ought to know about some of the common 2P bugs in this level.  In particular, the placement of one player on a gyrocopter can frequently make it impossible for the other to grab it.  There were two gyrocopters you grabbed that had this position, but luckily the second player was able to grab the copter instead of falling through to his death.  Now this could just be a difference with the PAL version, but I doubt it.  That's such an easy bug to replicate that my brother and I used to try to trap each other with that to get a good laugh (and also make us go faster so the other person doesn't have time to move to the bad position).  Considering how safe the rest of this run is, that REALLY stood out to me.  Why kill enemies so slowly to avoid the chance of damage, and then refuse to move out of the way for 1 second to ensure you don't miss the gyrocopter and die?  Obviously it didn't cost any time but it is a very peculiar thing that I noticed.

Level 10:

Nice job with the rat boot.

Level 11:

I literally laughed out loud when I read the comments for this level.  This boss fight is not "pretty much perfect".  In fact, if this was the fight in a run of mine, I would have reset.  The best way to fight him is to hit him to the right as you did, and then just keep headbutting him as he tries to rise up.  There is no risk at all involved with this pattern.  None.  When he goes into the second phase, you just pound him.  If he does a low jump at you, you headbutt him and then keep headbutting him until he's in the corner.  Then let him go.  If he does a super jump, just stand in place until the moment when he's about to fall.  Then take a quick dash to the side, dash back and headbutt as he falls.  Again, very very little risk and it's extremely predictable.  If you have the experience to run the level as smoothly as you did, then you should clearly have the experience to know how long a super jump takes and hit him on the way down.

Level 12:

You lose 5 seconds on every single yellow rhino in this level.  The correct way to kill them is you have both toads charge at a rhino at the same time, have the leading toad headbutt, and the following toad just runs right through and boots him as he lands.  Standing in place and hitting him is the absolute slowest way to kill them with 2 players.  If you're concerned about safety again for some reason, then at least dash after him and hit him with the stick.  That's about the easiest thing you can do and it'd still save like 12 seconds total for this level.

There's a lot more I can mention about this level, but at least some of the other approaches are understandable considering those jumps are rather tricky with 2 players.  The spring jumps do need to be coordinated somehow definitely, so I can excuse pretty much all of those jumps.  The enemy killing is just so slow, though.

Level 13:

Player 2 dies.  He respawns as Dark Queen is being killed, but the run is still being timed at that point so it doesn't get the deathless label.  Sorry.

Verdict:  REJECT.  The run is just not as polished as it should be for a speed run.  Yes, the game is hard 2 player, but it is not that hard.  There is no reason to play it so safe throughout the entire run.  I saw basically no risky strategies or attempts to save time at all.  The riskiest "strategy" I saw was not moving out of the way on the gyrocopters in level 9, and that neither saved time nor was intentional.  The run took no damage (apparently excluding the hit in level 6) until the Dark Queen which is cute, but that is actually slower than otherwise.

Also, the video quality made my eyes hurt.

Sorry for being so harsh, but I'm just being honest.  I'd love to see these two improve some of their enemy strategies and submit a better run sometime in the future, but this particular run definitely should not be on SDA.

Quote:
I'm not particularly knowledgeable about the ins and outs of 2 player battletoads speedrunning, but I only got as far as the end of the intruder excluder before I stopped writing comments. There is a shocking display of wasted time and missed opportunities for optimized gameplay.

Cheating - Wouldn't matter even if there were.

Audio/Video - Horrific. This is the HQ encode? I suspect some of it has to do with the PAL conversion (all the music is in the wrong key) but there are compression artifacts everywhere. Very difficult to watch. Reject-worthy on this basis alone.

Individual notes:

Level 1 - Headbutts could go faster, but whatever.

Level 3 - What a gargantuan waste of time. Why bother standing still if there are two players to take out the rats faster? And why take this warp when the next one is faster?

Level 5 - Walkers are dealt with by one player at a time. Blag is a wasted opportunity for a fast kill with 2P.

Level 6 - Hard to make this faster but it put me to sleep.

Level 8 - Super slow. So many mistakes. I gave up on writing down comments after this. With one exception: Worst orb boss fight ever in the clinger winger level. That's not "perfect." When a 2P boss fight goes slower than a 1P speedrun, you know you've got problems.

Verdict - Reject. You guys have some talent for sure, but you're not in the right headspace. Step 1 would be watching the 2P TAS which reveals a lot of easy ways to save time which you obviously haven't even considered.

I really don't like to vote to reject a run but this isn't good enough. Think about optimization. Take risks. Figure out the actual fastest way to deal with individual situations with 2P. I think you could save 30 seconds alone by not jumping higher than you need throughout the course of the game. With a change of plan and some research (!!!) I think you can do a lot better.

Decision:

Warpless: Accept

2p PAL: Reject

Reason:

Warpless: It's an improvement over the current run. Yes, the runner misses the rat boot, but so does the current warpless run.

2P PAL:  Wrong warp order and the run isn't optimized for 2-players.

I do have the 2-player PAL run available for anyone who wants to watch it. PM me for the link.
Thread title:  
WOW.
Is this the Wii version?

Anyway, can't wait to see it!
SDA Apprentice -- (3-1)
My condolences to the runner's 2p run being rejected, but congrats on the acceptance on the warpless run...  Here's to hopeing that we see another attempt at the 2p run in the near future...  After all, that is what made battletoad the big game we know and love...
Edit history:
PJ: 2011-02-15 12:38:38 am
Is PJ
Congrats, Chris!  That's a really awesome 1P run!  It's a shame about the rat boot, but it was mad good regardless!

To the 2P runners, I came across these messages from the marathon chat logs:

[15:16] <+baraka206> hey did anybody see PJ and the other guy's Battletoads 2 player run by chance?
[15:17] <+baraka206> their time was 24:40 or something, was it a good run?
[15:19] <+baraka206> the thing is, PJ rejected our 24:29 PAL 2 player run of Battletoads, which equals about 20:25 in NTSC time
[15:19] <+baraka206> Im glad he himself failed so miserably then

First of all, the run was a race, not a 2P run.  My time was 20:43, while trying my best to crash the game on level 9, and dying 2-3 times in level 8, and a very costly death in the final level too.  Also, if "failing miserably" is 15 seconds slower than your run with 5 deaths, then your run must have been an equally miserable failure.  If you want to watch the run, you can check it out here:  AGDQ Battletoads

It's interesting you have a beef with me rejecting your run without seeing the comments I posted.  Please quote me from my comments above once you find an invalid point.  I look forward to it.  My kill of the Clinger Winger boss in the marathon was pretty bad, and it was still faster than your kill.  Anyways, I made all my comments about your run in my comments.  If you have a problem with them, let me know and I'll clarify.
sinister1
so pro u don't even know
Congrats to the runner for the warpless run. That is some seriously skilled gaming, rat boot, or not.

@PJ: Are you working on a warps run for this game?? Please say yes. I mean, I know you have to do runs for bad games, but this is in your queue somewhere right?
1-Up!
Wow PJ I can't believe that dude said that.  I guess it goes to show how right you were to reject it.  It's a shame some people have such horrible attitudes when their runs are rejected.
Not a walrus
So does the PAL version not have the problem in level 11 on 2P?
Is PJ
Quote from UraniumAnchor:
So does the PAL version not have the problem in level 11 on 2P?

Correct.

Quote from sinister1:
Congrats to the runner for the warpless run. That is some seriously skilled gaming, rat boot, or not.

@PJ: Are you working on a warps run for this game?? Please say yes. I mean, I know you have to do runs for bad games, but this is in your queue somewhere right?

Yea sinister1.  I was going to do that run immediately after Lagoon, but my VCR broke while it was at the marathon, so I have no way to record from my NES at the moment (top-loader NES only has RF output, and my TV doesn't have AV output either).  I am definitely going to be doing warpless/warps runs when I can.  It is long overdue.  Tongue
Talk to the Hand
Good to know I'm a miserable failure, by the way. *thumbs up*
Also glad to know the runner is comparing submitted runs to live marathon runs.
sinister1
so pro u don't even know
@PJ: F*@% yeah. Good luck when you get to running it.

@Emptyeye: They were just jealous of your cape. Haters.
General Kong - Bullets and Bananas
Quote from sinister1:
@PJ: F*@% yeah. Good luck when you get to running it.

@Emptyeye: They were just jealous of your cape. Haters.

Haters gonna hate...
Edit history:
michaeljackson: 2011-02-17 04:30:02 am
michaeljackson: 2011-02-16 09:39:11 am
michaeljackson: 2011-02-16 05:59:19 am
michaeljackson: 2011-02-16 05:13:15 am
michaeljackson: 2011-02-16 05:13:04 am
michaeljackson: 2011-02-16 04:49:08 am
Hi, I'm one of the players of the 2-player run. Let me start off by saying that I realize this run is far from perfect, but it has some strong points as well that are sort of overlooked. The whole game itself is a risk and mistakes are so easily made. Just not fucking up is already a a major time-saver in itself and it was a deliberate choice. I'll just respond to some of the comments that I (dis)agree with.

First, level 1, 3 and 5 could indeed have been done slightly faster if we chose a better enemy order. Simple as that. And yes, the boss fight of level 11 should have been done different, but it's not as bad as some claim it was. Also, keep in mind that with 2 players you have to be careful that you don't get the orb to drop on the other player. And level 8 was my personal biggest problem with the run, the right way would be to skip EVERY enemy and I know how to do it perfectly now.

One verifier noticed how "slow" this run was. But if you compare it to the current 1-player NTSC record with warps used, its only 38 seconds slower than that I believe (in NTSC time that is). If you consider how hard it is to beat Battletoads in 2-player mode, I'd say thats very reasonable, timewise. I know PJ keeps bragging about how easy this game is to him and that a 2-player run is not hard at all. However, the fact remains that I have never even seen any duo beat this game, ever. There is literally no footage of it online, except ours (we had some shitty old runs on youtube that were just about beating the game in full and we won the Screwattack challenge with that because apparently nobody else was able to submit a run at all). Actually, just for this reason alone and because the game is so infamous I think this run should even be accepted but whatever.

Then the path we chose. Its FASTER than going through level 4. I think maybe many of you keep forgetting to add the extra time at the end of stage 3 in comparing the paths or something. This path is 12 seconds faster the way we did it (in NTSC time) than the 1player warp record holders path and he mentions the "6 seconds that he could have made up for". Level 5 could indeed have been done faster, I'm just saying its already faster than you could possibly go using the other path. That goes for single player mode as well - using the log and whirlpool to get your health drained and using the correct enemy order I can also finish stage 5 exactly as fast as we did it together.

PJ, you mentioned the danger of jumping towards the gyrocopters the way we did. Well, thats how we do it always and we never fall through, so my guess is that this is indeed fixed in the PAL version. After all, some other glitches were also removed, such as the missiles in Volkmires Inferno and some other stuff. Furthermore, you know very damn well that level 9 is the riskiest stage in the whole game and a random eel, fish or shark can so easily kill you, ruining the run. With 2 players, you have to stay apart so that you don't accidently one-hit-KO the other player instead of an enemy. Its not so weird that we chose to do this stage in a safe way. I know of your tricks for this stage and they are insane and sort of cool, but even for a single-player run a lot of the tricks are not worth the risk at all (BTW I tested that first trick of jumping outside the screen and it can only be done in the US version, not the EU version of the game).

About stage 12, one verifier didn't seem to understand why we almost never jumped from the springs as soon as we got on them, but you would understand if you tried playing that stage with 2 players immediately. That's all I'm going to say and even PJ admitted this. Also, enemies could have been done faster yes. 

PJ, you are wrong in saying that it's faster to take all the checkpoints on the far rightside of the screen. It works a liitle different in fact and that also goes for Volkmire's inferno and stage 5. I'll try to exlain:
- stage 3: it doesnt matter where you go through the checkpoints, except near the end of the stage. Its best to take the last checkpoint (the one before the final part with obstacles) on the far right as the stage speeds up after that. Then, obviously, the fastest way to get the warp is to go through it as soon as it comes into the screen. But if you want to end the stage the regular way, its fastest to stay on the far left! Thats because the game wants you to reach a certain point beyond the final checkpoint before the stage ends and its faster when you go full speed then when you're slowed down already by passing the checkpoint (its hard to explain, but you can try it yourself and use the score as time-indicator to test these things).
- stage 5: same thing with the end of the stage, its best to stay far left for the same reason as above, but it hardly matters.
- stage 7: best to go through checkpoints on the far right every time as the game keeps speeding up everytime, but again, at the end its fastest to stay on the far left.

Finally, about the question whether this is a no-death run - PJ, you said the timer is still running at the point the dark queen gets the final blow. I thought (looking at the exsisting runs) that the timer stopped  right after the final blow. And if you look closely, player 2 respawns shortly AFTER that and thats why I was wondering about it. Please do comment on this.

Anyway, I've also got a single-player run with warps that I'm going to upload now, it was recorded a month ago and its a little more than 3 minutes faster than our co-op run, mostly due to the fact that you just have a lot more room for free movement/improvisation and you can take so much more risk. Like I said, our 2 player run has its flaws but its a very good run nevertheless.

Also, before I forget, congratulations to Chris Foreman, looking forward to seeing your run soon!
Weegee Time
Quote:
- stage 3: it doesnt matter where you go through the checkpoints, except near the end. Its best to take the last checkpoint on the far right as the stage speeds up after that. Then, obviously, the fastest way to get the checkpoint is to go through it as soon as it comes into the screen. But if you want to end the stage the regular way, its fastest to stay on the far left! Thats because the game wants you to reach a certain point beyond the final checkpoint before the stage ends and its faster when you go full speed then when you're slowed down already by passing the checkpoint (its hard to explain, but you can try it yourself and use the score as time-indicator to test these things).

Okay, wait, I got a question on this.  The game speeds up at the final checkpoint on the stage, right?  Alright, if that's so, then you would still want to hit every checkpoint as far right as possible.  If the game is really shunting equivalent distance to the end of the stage, that would make you cover the most distance possible at the higher speed, which would result in a lower time.

If that's not the case, then I think your description is a bit wonky, because that's what I got out of it. :/
Edit history:
michaeljackson: 2011-02-17 08:52:03 am
michaeljackson: 2011-02-16 09:40:46 am
Quote from Rakuen:
Quote:
- stage 3: it doesnt matter where you go through the checkpoints, except near the end. Its best to take the last checkpoint on the far right as the stage speeds up after that. Then, obviously, the fastest way to get the checkpoint is to go through it as soon as it comes into the screen. But if you want to end the stage the regular way, its fastest to stay on the far left! Thats because the game wants you to reach a certain point beyond the final checkpoint before the stage ends and its faster when you go full speed then when you're slowed down already by passing the checkpoint (its hard to explain, but you can try it yourself and use the score as time-indicator to test these things).

Okay, wait, I got a question on this.  The game speeds up at the final checkpoint on the stage, right?  Alright, if that's so, then you would still want to hit every checkpoint as far right as possible.  If the game is really shunting equivalent distance to the end of the stage, that would make you cover the most distance possible at the higher speed, which would result in a lower time.

If that's not the case, then I think your description is a bit wonky, because that's what I got out of it. :/

No, it doesn't matter because you get back to the same speed again. So when you hit the checkpoint, after which you will slow down and get back to the same speed, doesnt matter at those checkpoints. Maybe this drawing will help you understand what I mean:

_ _ _ _ _ . . . _ _ _

vs
_ _ _ _ _ _ . . . _ _

is the same, timewise. lalz.

EDIT: ah, I just noticed some typos and one time i meant to say warp instead of checkpoint. Edited the original post and it should make more sense now, sorry about that.
Is PJ
See, this run is very interesting because there is no middle ground on our initial interpretation of the run.  Haha.  In the comments submitted with this run, the words "flawlessly" and "perfectly" are tossed around on the description of almost every level.  These overly confident comments made us all much more critical of the run.  Plus, insulting our live runs of the game and comparing them to a submitted run left a very bad taste in my mouth.  You admitted above that you know there are flaws with the run.  Truth be told, the run is not quite as bad as we said.  However, I do stand by what I said:

Quote from PJ:
Sorry for being so harsh, but I'm just being honest.  I'd love to see these two improve some of their enemy strategies and submit a better run sometime in the future, but this particular run definitely should not be on SDA.

You two are the most capable candidates to do this run.  I would love to, but my Btoads partner lives across the country and we never play anymore.  I missed my chance because he moved before I had capture equipment.  I know how much potential there is for a 2P run, especially with enemy grouping/killing and boss fights.  I really want you two to work on this and submit a better run.  If you want, I can try to make some videos to demonstrate the strategies my brother and I used.  The comment stands though: there were far too many strategies left out of this run to be accepted to SDA.  It is a difficult feat to beat this game 2P yes, but that alone does not auto-accept it.  There are far more difficult games on this site that have very high standards.  This is not an exception to the rules.

That being said, I went back and thoroughly looked over your points because I was very curious about these claims.  In particular, the level 4 vs level 5 timing.  It turns out that both routes are actually equally fast.  When I timed it before (last year), I was not using the most optimal strats for enemy kills and space invader manipulation in level 5, and I was using extremely fast and optimized routes through level 4.  That, and my innate hatred for level 5, skewed my opinion in level 4's favor.  I made a video of my route through level 4 (in its entirety, to compensate for the extra timing from the end of level 3), and a made a video of level 5 with the fastest strats and best luck I can imagine.  The level 4 video was 4 seconds slower, but I took an unintentional hit and left out a risky 3-second strategy.  So I take back my comment about the level order.  Assuming perfect runs of each level, the time gained from one route over another is essentially negligible.  I will always prefer level 4 myself since it took 2 attempts to record that video, while it took over an hour to record the video of level 5.  In a 2-player run though, you SHOULD choose level 5 and you should also OHKO Big Blag.  That kill is too slick to ignore, especially when it saves so much time from very little practice.

I played through this game up until Clinger Winger on the PAL version, trying every single glitch I know of.  First, I have to give mad props to you for running this version.  It is intolerable for me.  I cannot stand this speed.  Anyways, every glitch remains, except for the "jump over the side wall" trick in level 9, and the game over glitch in level 8.  You mentioned the rocket glitch in 7 was removed, but I did not notice that.  What happened in your case?  Regardless, those missiles are pretty easy to dodge on PAL...the speed is pretty slow.

As for the other two glitches I mentioned, the lack of game over glitch in level 8 means you can run through that level as fast as possible without fear of triggering that at the end.  That is very good news for you.  I lost many attempts to that glitch during NTSC attempts.  I noticed the lack of my favorite glitch in level 9, which is a shame for some of the neater "features" of the game, but as far as speed goes it is not a big loss.  From my timing, that only saves 6 seconds over the other route, mostly from all of the lag.  It is still possible to do all of the spike squeezes and the fall down the last shaft of the level (which is much more tolerable in the PAL version).  Even if the latter trick is not realistic 2-player, the others are not too unreasonable.  Most of the time you lost here was due to the unoptimized enemy handling anyways.

For the timing of this run, it ends sometime after the Dark Queen's monologue.  I think it is when you finally lose control of your character (after the second screen fade?).  You can still game over from her tornado though, so it definitely is not after the final blow is landed.  Sorry!

I am definitely looking forward to verifying your 1P run!  That sounds like a very good time.  I really hope you and your partner submit a 2P run in the future, after you look into some of the enemy strats more and take some more risks on the levels.  Try not to be so concerned about killing each other with your strats.  It is surprisingly hard to do.  I remember standing basically on top of my brother's sprite when he was attacking the grey electrobots and ducks in level 9.  There is a lot of flexibility.
Edit history:
Zealie: 2011-02-17 01:03:11 pm
Zealie: 2011-02-17 01:00:28 pm
Oke, I don't know much about battletoads and don't really want to discuss the outcome seeing as I don't know much about this game, but seeing this quote: "I stress that most of the above are just big question marks for me. I'd instinctively go for a rejection since the current 1p runs seem to be faster."

I just had to mention this:
http://speeddemosarchive.com/DoubleDragon2.html
this is also mentioned: "Note: The two-player run is slower than the one-player run because there are more enemies and lag in two-player mode."

I am not sure if everyone by now knows this, but with the 2p dd run submit it was decided one cannot (always) compare a 1p run to a 2p run.

Now before the 2p runners go mental and are like "ammagad that 2p run is almost a minute slower" this is also mention

Like I said, I don't know much about 2p battletoads, but I felt as if this fact was not known by all beforehand.

I am sorry if this post seems inapropiate.

[edit] damn IE screwing up my post.......
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Thanks guys, glad you enjoyed it.  Some interesting comments and suggestions, I'll try and address some of it later when I have the time.  The one thing that really stands out that I didn't know, should have known, is that you can control boot vs butt.  For whatever reason I just always assumed it picked either at random, haha.  Also, I consider weaving back and forth across the screen to be a more entertaining watch than sticking to the right of the screen, and it's not especially hard either way so a wash manliness-wise Wink

And it goes without saying that missing that scuzz boot was crushing.  For those whom haven't read the comments (or seen it yet), this run sat on my hard drive for 2 years (recorded fall of '08 if I remember correctly) before I stumbled onto it and decided it was worth submitting despite that. 
Is PJ
Quote from Shadowknife:
Thanks guys, glad you enjoyed it.  Some interesting comments and suggestions, I'll try and address some of it later when I have the time.  The one thing that really stands out that I didn't know, should have known, is that you can control boot vs butt.  For whatever reason I just always assumed it picked either at random, haha.  Also, I consider weaving back and forth across the screen to be a more entertaining watch than sticking to the right of the screen, and it's not especially hard either way so a wash manliness-wise Wink

And it goes without saying that missing that scuzz boot was crushing.  For those whom haven't read the comments (or seen it yet), this run sat on my hard drive for 2 years (recorded fall of '08 if I remember correctly) before I stumbled onto it and decided it was worth submitting despite that. 

^_^  Point taken.
Edit history:
michaeljackson: 2011-02-18 04:52:42 pm
michaeljackson: 2011-02-18 04:51:40 pm
michaeljackson: 2011-02-18 04:50:56 pm
michaeljackson: 2011-02-18 04:50:23 pm
michaeljackson: 2011-02-18 07:51:38 am
michaeljackson: 2011-02-18 07:51:26 am
Quote from &amp;amp;amp;quot;PJ&amp;amp;amp;quot;:
See, this run is very interesting because there is no middle ground on our initial interpretation of the run.  Haha.  In the comments submitted with this run, the words &amp;amp;amp;quot;flawlessly&amp;amp;amp;quot; and &amp;amp;amp;quot;perfectly&amp;amp;amp;quot; are tossed around on the description of almost every level.  These overly confident comments made us all much more critical of the run.  Plus, insulting our live runs of the game and comparing them to a submitted run left a very bad taste in my mouth.  You admitted above that you know there are flaws with the run.  Truth be told, the run is not quite as bad as we said.

Fair enough, we did brag a lot but we were basically just very excited for finally having recorded a run with no setbacks.

If you want, I can try to make some videos to demonstrate the strategies my brother and I used.

Thanks, I would appreciate if you did actually. Especially the proper way to OHKO Big Blag on a real console and also the proper ways of enemy handling in the different stages of our run (especially if you have a solid method for the red rhino’s in level 12, but I doubt there is a safe method for those). Also, what’s a good way to co-op the level 11 boss? Oh and how did you one-hit-KO the duck when you came from the gyrocoptor in stage 9 BTW?

In particular, the level 4 vs level 5 timing.  It turns out that both routes are actually equally fast.  When I timed it before (last year), I was not using the most optimal strats for enemy kills and space invader manipulation in level 5, and I was using extremely fast and optimized routes through level 4.  That, and my innate hatred for level 5, skewed my opinion in level 4&amp;amp;amp;#39;s favor.

Alright, fair enough. For me it’s the exact opposite though, I hardly ever fail in stage 5 with my new strategy! I’ve found a very steady method for draining health and I’ve got a very good method for playing the mines-part as well. You just have to stay near the top of the screen and not the bottom, that’s the real trick. And at the first 2 sections you don’t want to stick to the leftside of the screen, because you’ll end up in a deathtrap. It’s also a bit easier in the PAL version due to the speed of course. Stage 4 on the other hand, although I do master the fast route sort of, I almost always mess up at some point and lose a few seconds. Another thing that I really REALLY hate is where you have to pick up the iceblock while it’s sliding down – about 50 percent of the time I try to the block instantly explodes when I touch it! Perhaps this is some kind of PAL-issue but either way, its terrible when that happens, because the block won’t respawn until you reach the part before the checkpoint.

For the timing of this run, it ends sometime after the Dark Queen&amp;amp;amp;#39;s monologue.  I think it is when you finally lose control of your character (after the second screen fade?).  You can still game over from her tornado though, so it definitely is not after the final blow is landed.  Sorry!

NP. Its just that the single player warp run doesn’t seem to be timed that way, the other one is though.

I am definitely looking forward to verifying your 1P run!  That sounds like a very good time.

Thanks, I hope you’ll enjoy that. I did stage 8 as fast as I could in that run, skipping all the enemies and you’re right about the PAL-version not glitching out Smiley So that’s indeed something nice about this version and it kinda compensates for not being able to use the glitch in the beginning of stage 9.

Quote from &amp;amp;amp;quot;Zealie&amp;amp;amp;quot;:
I just had to mention this:
http://speeddemosarchive.com/DoubleDragon2.html
this is also mentioned: &amp;amp;amp;quot;Note: The two-player run is slower than the one-player run because there are more enemies and lag in two-player mode.&amp;amp;amp;quot;

That is true yea, there&#39;s a lot more lag in 2p mode due to the extra sprite. Its especially noticeable at the part in stage 8 with the fans (is that what you call those?) and also at a lot of parts in stage 9. I’m not sure if it makes a big difference though in total.
Is PJ
Sorry for taking so long to respond.  I was rewatching some old footage I had from the last time my brother and I played 2P Btoads, but it looks like most of it is just playaround.  No serious speed running clips in there to edit and share.  That is very unfortunate because it seems I will have to try to make some videos on my own to show what I mean, if I can't describe these situations appropriately.  Tongue

Quote from michaeljackson:
Thanks, I would appreciate if you did actually. Especially the proper way to OHKO Big Blag on a real console and also the proper ways of enemy handling in the different stages of our run (especially if you have a solid method for the red rhino’s in level 12, but I doubt there is a safe method for those). Also, what’s a good way to co-op the level 11 boss? Oh and how did you one-hit-KO the duck when you came from the gyrocoptor in stage 9 BTW?

OHKO Big Blag:  The way I remember doing this is having the one person tank a bunch of damage (one log + two damage from the whirlpool...usually stay at the far back and in the middle will get you hit for exactly two damage from either the first or third whirlpool), and the other tries to punch him, obv.  Positioning is pretty crucial though.  I think we both triggered Blag from slightly above the very bottom row.  Blag seems to jump downward at the same height every time (but sometimes a high jump vs a low jump), so it's just a matter of hitting him with the punch when he's there and before he punches you.  I wish I had a clip from when we used to do this.  I remember the timing being a lot trickier than what I mentioned, but I think it was something like that.  I'll try to get a savestate there and make a video.

The red rhinos are extremely dangerous.  I do not try to boot them.  Just hit them thrice with the sticks and you'll be ok.  Or, to be even faster, do two stick hits with one player, and have the other player run the opposite way around the tower and headbutt for the KO.  Saves a second or so.  Sometimes gives you weird perspective, but it saves some time.  Haha.

I mentioned booting the yellow rhinos in my comments I think.  If not, you just have both players dash at the rhino, one slightly staggered; the leading toad headbutts and the following toad just runs to where the rhino is going to land and boots him.  Also works with a stick introduction instead of the headbutt.  Use a similar strat for the rats in level 3.  The leading toad headbutts and then runs away while the other winds up the boot.  The following toad should not really pause at all for the first toad to get out of the way.  Leading toad should headbutt early so he's not close enough to the rat to trigger a friendly-fire headbutt instead of a boot.  I ought to be able to make a video of that, I think.

For the tall yellow walking things (except the ones in level 5), you should just have both toads charge from opposite directions and attack at the same time, just as he spawns.  You can time it so that his sprite is barely on screen before the legs fly all over the screen.  Haha.  For level 5, this also works for the first yellow walking guy, but you could also just time a finishing punch like you will do for Blag.  Much easier and safer to time this one than the Blag punch, so it ought to be no problem.

I have never fought the Clinger Winger boss co-op before.  There are two options that I see, but I am not sure how good they will work.  The first is to fight him using a modified approach to my 1P strategy, but that seems risky and doesn't really save much time.  I think the best strategy would be to just trap him between the two toads and headbutt back and forth.  So one toad stays on the right during the initial loop, and the other toad jumps over the orb and hangs left.  One of them headbutts the orb once it's like....30% from one of the edges maybe.  It should land in front of the other toad and he'd headbutt him then.  I think the boss stays on the ground to recover for long enough to make this worthwhile.  That would be fastest, IMO.  Alternatively, you could try to somehow wound one toad and redirect a finishing punch on the boss again.  Contact with the boss takes 3 blocks of health, but I don't recall how much a headbutt does.  If a headbutt is 2 blocks, you could have one toad headbutt another into the boss during his first loop (when the orb is in the bottom left corner, or approaching that corner, headbutt one toad into him).  Landing the punch would be tricky...but I think if the weakened toad picks up the orb and jump tosses him while in the corner, the other toad could begin winding up the punch just as the orb is released and maybe punch during the recovery period.  Not sure.  As I said, I've never tried it before.  I can maybe try to get a savestate there as well and work on it.

OHKOing the duck is fortunately a very easy strategy that I can answer.  First off, the kick attack on the gyrocopters is one of the strongest attacks in the game.  It is OHKO on everything on that level (including a gear, if you can manage to glitch a gyrocopter during the first gear chase!).  You can kill sharks, hammerfishes, ducks, and your partner in one kick.  As you've probably realized, the entire bottom half of those spike tiles have no hitbox at all.  During the descent from those gyrocopters, you just have to move basically as soon as possible, passing through the bottom half of the rightmost spike, to make it into the pipeline to the left before you reach the water.  Then just mash the attack button when you're close to the duck.  If you mistime it slightly, you will land in the water right in front of the duck, but that's why you mash the attack button.  When you hit the water, if you do, you'll begin punching immediately and can just kill him that way.  That makes the approach safe.  With some practice though, it really is not difficult at all.

Another thing that I really REALLY hate is where you have to pick up the iceblock while it’s sliding down – about 50 percent of the time I try to the block instantly explodes when I touch it! Perhaps this is some kind of PAL-issue but either way, its terrible when that happens, because the block won’t respawn until you reach the part before the checkpoint.

Hahaha, yes that is a classic failure point.  That happens frequently on the NTSC version as well, though admittedly not as frequently as just failing to pick up the block after it is stopped on the slope.  I have had the toad just stand there kicking it in place for 6-7 kicks without picking it up, regardless of my timing.  It's a shame.  I have to say that the biggest failure point on that level remains the very beginning descent:

It's faster to just run through the snowman than to jump over him, so I am forced to do this and risk trigger one of these very humorous and very annoying glitches.  The even more common glitch, which I somehow don't have a video for, is just falling straight through the platform (the platform right before where I "superjump" in the above video).  The screen just stops scrolling, I fall through, and I die.  It's amazing.

Anyways, I'll try and work my way through this game 2P and maybe make some videos.
Quote from PJ:
I think we both triggered Blag from slightly above the very bottom row.  Blag seems to jump downward at the same height every time (but sometimes a high jump vs a low jump), so it's just a matter of hitting him with the punch when he's there and before he punches you.  I wish I had a clip from when we used to do this.  I remember the timing being a lot trickier than what I mentioned, but I think it was something like that.  I'll try to get a savestate there and make a video.

I actually always go to the very bottom or very top (prefer bottom somehow though), because if Blag does the high jump he can make it all the way there and if he doesn’t you can just walk a bit up or down before you hit him. But maybe the spot you mentioned is exactly the spot where the low jump always land and the high jump will also land there if you stand there, so maybe it is the better spot to wait. If you could make a video of it that would be nice, because the timing seems very tricky indeed. Also, using this same method for the clinger winger boss sounds very interesting! That would be awesome if it actually worked, but in the TAS video its not being done that way and so I’m afraid it might be impossible. Definitely worth experimenting with though, as I wouldn’t be surprised if a headbutt takes off two blocks exactly. Every stage is different though, so who knows.

Quote from PJ:
The red rhinos are extremely dangerous.  I do not try to boot them.  Just hit them thrice with the sticks and you'll be ok.  Or, to be even faster, do two stick hits with one player, and have the other player run the opposite way around the tower and headbutt for the KO.  Saves a second or so.  Sometimes gives you weird perspective, but it saves some time.  Haha.

Yea, I won’t be doing that. The messed up perspective messes up my timing quite often and with the red rhinos that’s too much of a risk for saving a second.

Quote from PJ:
It's faster to just run through the snowman than to jump over him, so I am forced to do this and risk trigger one of these very humorous and very annoying glitches.  The even more common glitch, which I somehow don't have a video for, is just falling straight through the platform (the platform right before where I "superjump" in the above video).  The screen just stops scrolling, I fall through, and I die.  It's amazing.

Strange glitch that I’ve never encountered but that must be because I always jumped over. How the hell did you manage to get that stick to appear by the way? In the comments you said you can’t really control it and that it doesn’t save a lot of time anyway and that you are able to control it in another stage to some extent. Could you tell more about this? I understand if you want to keep this to yourself though as you’re going to do speedruns as well.

Quote from PJ:
Anyways, I'll try and work my way through this game 2P and maybe make some videos.

Thanks. I read everything you said and most of the stuff I understand, but some video footage of the more difficult strats especially would be helpful still.
Edit history:
PJ: 2011-02-21 06:08:35 pm
Is PJ
Strange glitch that I’ve never encountered but that must be because I always jumped over. How the hell did you manage to get that stick to appear by the way? In the comments you said you can’t really control it and that it doesn’t save a lot of time anyway and that you are able to control it in another stage to some extent. Could you tell more about this? I understand if you want to keep this to yourself though as you’re going to do speedruns as well.

Yea, those glitches will never happen if you jump over the second snowman.  I think it creates unique lag when the ice block passes through the snowman, and if there is a snowball on screen.  If you run through, some strange stuff happens.  Forcing the appearance of the stick in each level depends heavily on lag manipulation.  My success rate of doing that in level 4 is extremely low; I'm very fortunate to have been recording when it happened in that video.  I have very little control over that lag because it is dependent only on the ice block, the snowman, and his snowballs.  I can get the ice block to collide with the snowman as I'm advancing the screen, but that often is not enough to make the stick appear.

I forced a stick to appear in level 6 during the...third area?  The one with the really long yellow/green snake that collides with itself.  If I climb the inside between two of its sides, there is some really immense lag.  Pulling a stick out is very rare and risky, and has literally no benefit in this level.

Level 9 is the other level in which I got the stick, of course.  ^_^  Words can't really describe how to control this one.  I have like half a dozen videos on my channel where I cause some really dumb, unexpected glitches to happen in level 9 from abusing the lag.  There was one particular route that will always yield a stick.  It is really similar to the ones in those videos, IIRC, but there's also a high probability of slipping through the background while attempting it.  I can try to make a video of that, too.  The stick is pretty neat in level 9.  It can smash barriers and gears, although both are needed to proceed with the stage.  It is OHKO on all enemies in the stage, which saves a collective ~4 seconds or something.  Haha.  Not very useful, especially since the lag likely offsets that.  It IS neat though.

I actually always go to the very bottom or very top (prefer bottom somehow though), because if Blag does the high jump he can make it all the way there and if he doesn’t you can just walk a bit up or down before you hit him. But maybe the spot you mentioned is exactly the spot where the low jump always land and the high jump will also land there if you stand there, so maybe it is the better spot to wait. If you could make a video of it that would be nice, because the timing seems very tricky indeed. Also, using this same method for the clinger winger boss sounds very interesting! That would be awesome if it actually worked, but in the TAS video its not being done that way and so I’m afraid it might be impossible. Definitely worth experimenting with though, as I wouldn’t be surprised if a headbutt takes off two blocks exactly. Every stage is different though, so who knows.

Yea, the very bottom is definitely the right spot for killing him with a stick.  I don't think the punch will hit him from there, though.  I remember having to be slightly higher, I think.  I will try to figure it out.

I had the same concerns about the Clinger Winger boss punch, since I didn't recall seeing it in the TAS.  Perhaps it was just an oversight?  Not really sure.  At the very least, you could try to boot the boss, but I think the boot in this game will always target the initial target.  It is super easy to redirect a boot in Battletoads & Double Dragon, but I don't think that works here.  Although.....I do remember hitting a green cloud in the final level with a boot while trying to kill my brother.  Hrm.  I really need to test this.

Yea, I won’t be doing that. The messed up perspective messes up my timing quite often and with the red rhinos that’s too much of a risk for saving a second.

Good idea.  Smiley

Ok, today I am definitely going to try to make some videos.  At least videos of Blag and the level 9 stick glitch.

Edit:

Copied from my video description:
Quote from PJ:
This was kind of tricky for me to make because I had to control both characters by myself. This is also using the PAL ROM of Battletoads, and an emulator, ofc. I used an SNES controller, and mapped player 2 to left/right/up/down/B/A. Player 1 is mapped to L/R/up/down/Y/X. They share vertical input since it doesn't really matter much. This control scheme actually works rather well after some practice.

Anyways, here is a quick video showing one possibility for the Big Blag quick kill. You want to position both toads just slightly above the bottom row so that you can safely punch Blag without him landing on you. At the very bottom, his large jump will jump on player 2 and will punch player 1. Slightly above that row is safe though and you are free to hit him. One unfortunate possibility is that Blag gets "stuck" in the wall for a few seconds afterwards (see second clip). I think I was slightly higher than necessary in that clip. Farther down (just a few pixels lower) does not have that problem usually.

The big jump is the easiest pattern to kill him with. If he does the small jumps, life gets a lot tougher. First, here's the process for the big jump kill:

Let player 2 move forward so no part of his sprite is touching any part of the player 1 sprite (if that happens, P1 usually picks him up instead of punching). Make player 1 face right without moving forward. If Blag does a large jump, player 1 immediately begins punching player 2.

If Blag does a short hop, both players need to slightly inch forward, and player 1 needs to do two staggered punches. One initial punch to "weaken" P2, and then one delayed punch to set up the finisher. Player 2 will be killed by Big Blag, who moves forward into the finisher while killing off P2. The timing and spacing is really tricky, and I still don't know if there is a better way to do this. My mobility is not great while controlling both characters simultaneously, so setting up the correct spacing is difficult for me to replicate. I may continue trying to work on it.
Sorry for my late response, I've seen your post already but didn't have time to respond. That video seems pretty clear, I'll be experimenting with it as well.  I'm gonna try to find a way that works equally well for the short as well as the high jump.

About the stick in stage 9, I was expecting its appearance to have something to do with lag. Its awesome that you found a specific route which causes it to appear, can't wait to see footage of that actually. Also, I'm thinking aren't you able to smash the barriers with the stick in that stage, just like you did in stage 4? And what about the wheels?

BTW did you know you can get behind the 2 wheels in the water (stage 9) instead of in front? That way you can pass the checkpoint slightly earlier maybe, but it's not the smartest thing to do in a speedrun I suppose.
Edit history:
PJ: 2011-02-24 06:07:28 am
PJ: 2011-02-24 06:05:33 am
Is PJ
About the stick in stage 9, I was expecting its appearance to have something to do with lag. Its awesome that you found a specific route which causes it to appear, can't wait to see footage of that actually. Also, I'm thinking aren't you able to smash the barriers with the stick in that stage, just like you did in stage 4? And what about the wheels?

Yup!  You certainly can smash the checkpoint barriers.  The problem is, it maybe only saves 1 second at the very last gear.  You can't actually trigger the checkpoints yourself; the gears have to do that on their own.  That's also why the game crashed in level 4 when I did so.  I didn't know about it at the time, but the ice blocks trigger the checkpoints there, so I do have to wait a little.  With the stick in level 9, I could smash the final checkpoint sooner and run down the pipe just as the gear is on my tail, so the checkpoint still breaks on screen before I hit the water.  This saves only the time it'd take me to run from the "waiting platform" above it.  The real time saver comes from OHKOing all the enemies.  It's so much safer in the hammerfish sections and the duck pipe.  I don't think the stick saves any time at all in level 4.  In fact, I'm not sure if I can even get past that one checkpoint with the ice block in the V-slope.  I don't think the stick lets me pick up the ice blocks or not.  Maybe I can hit it with the stick over the barrier and through the checkpoint, but I'm not sure.  If I ever get the stick again in that level, I'll try it.

BTW did you know you can get behind the 2 wheels in the water (stage 9) instead of in front? That way you can pass the checkpoint slightly earlier maybe, but it's not the smartest thing to do in a speedrun I suppose.

Yup!  That's actually how my brother and I did it for the first gear.  I always did the spike squeeze beforehand, so I was a little ahead of him.  Doing the first gear that way saved us the issue of trying to coordinate our starts.  For the second gear, it was too troublesome to try to follow, so we both went ahead of it.  It's a neat feature though!

I have not had much luck with making a video of the stick in level 9, but I'll give it a few more tries in a bit.  I mostly remember the route to get it to appear, but there are two jumps for which I don't remember the timing.  We'll see what I come up with.