1 page
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
1-Up!
Game Page: http://speeddemosarchive.com/BatmanArkhamAsylum.html

Batman Arkham Asylum (Any %) (Single Segment) (Easy)

Verifier Responses

Quote:
I didn't see any audio/visual problems. Gameplay was very smooth. I didn't see any cheating.

Accept

Quote:
A/V looks fine, no cheating.

I think I've been playing too much Arkham City.  I keep instinctively yelling at the screen "Why aren't you using Multi-batarang takedown?" and "Why didn't you slide into that vent?!" >_>

I too accept this.  It was sloppy at parts, but this game can be relatively random sometimes.

Quote:
Nothing wrong with A/V quality, and there's no evidence of cheating.

The run isn't 100%, but it is sprinkled with a lot of really excellent luck and execution. The only gripe I have is the Ivy fight, and it's not because it's sloppy or slow. My problem with it is he only uses quick batarangs. The fastest spam method is quick bat, triple bat, quick bat, quick bat, repeat. Granted in a run this long it doesn't save a ton of time, and I'm assuming that the PS3 controls aren't the friendliest so I'm not going to let that hold back the run.

Accept

Oh, another thing, the slo-mo uppercuts on Joker can be skipped by hitting run/use Smiley

Quote:
Sorry for the delay guys.

Easy Accept for this one, A/V fine, no cheating detected, great overall improvement, only a couple of minor areas, missed a few crits.  As the runner notes, overall it doesn't matter massively as a lot of the time it's due to trying to get the next hit off faster and on easy mode most inmates go down to one regular strike and one crit anyway.

A few notes:
Thanks to the new "SS with Resets" ruling (that was confirmed after this was submitted) the runner could have skipped the first encounter with Poison Ivy in the Botanical Gardens using a checkpoint restart and running straight to Croc's Sewers.  Maybe a minute could have been saved with that but the good news is that if anybody wants to obsolete this run they'll have to do more than just put that skip in.  It could be argued that come of the Scarecrow areas looked excessively safe but in an SS run I wouldn't expect this part to be particularly dangerous.  The verifier above already mentioned the Ivy fight.  I was actually quite surprised when I saw that too but again that doesn't stop this being a great run.

This isn't a positive or a negative but interesting to note that the runner gets the Firefly Riddle but not the Croc riddle after rescuing the doctors near the start of the game (when he's waiting for A-G-E-S for the Doctors to muster up the courage to speak to their saviour, a habit they've helpfully taught to all the NPCs in the sequel) - there is so much time available that I'd say the "Croc escaping" riddle is easier to get than Firefly's, so not sure why he didn't get it.  In the end it doesn't matter for the Exp grinding, although considering he tried to get the "You don't know Jack" riddle earlier in the game, which I don't think you can get without zooming in (and therefore slowing down) this may be a better option.  There's also a few "free joker teeth" (i.e. can be got without costing time) that are ignored early on in the game - again it's obvious they aren't needed for an easy mode run though.

There's a lot of fantastic points in the run.  Personally, I really liked the dash through the Predator room before the Bane fight (which was expertly manipulated, by the way - the runner's correct about it not being random at all) as well as the room before the double Titan fight in the Botanical Gardens (as well as the double Titan fight itself).  The main reason I highlight those is because it's supposed to be an instant Game Over if you are spotted or the guards notice you taking out their colleagues.  Knowing that, the routes may look incredibly dangerous but the runner shows excellent execution and understanding of the patrol patterns so it becomes both fast and safe.

This game also seems to mark a tradition in the Arkham games where even though they have giant trolls that you have to fight, they are actually out-trolled by pretty silly things, such as a small combo-breaking guy in a chair.  I feel your pain.

Ok got that out of the way, so who's up for a Challenge Mode IL table? thumbsup

Decision: Accept

Congratulations to Sean 'DarthKnight' Grayson!
Thread title:  
Currently occupying the grey area.
Nice to see Dick Grayson's brother picking up the family vocation. Grin
Hah. Yeah too bad my parents didn't name me Dick.

Thanks guys! Hope everyone enjoys it. I made sure not to even think about submitting until I broke 2 hours. I'll probably get a hard run done at some point too. I put that on hold because I got kinda busy and I wanted to see this get accepted first. And holy crap, I can't believe I forgot to skip the titan joker slo mo punches. Definitely a few seconds wasted there.

Concerning the ivy fight, I did not use the combo batarang because I'm pretty sure it doesn't do any extra damage making the fight harder for no reason. I remember watching zed's run over and over on that part, and also recording myself using both tactics, to really see if throwing three batarangs at once really did extra damage, and I came to the conclusion that it didn't. There is only one target to go after and in my experience on the ps3 when throwing the combo batarang at one target it essentially functions as just throwing one batarang.

As for the experience, like I implied in my comments, a lot of experience really isn't very important at all on easy. Anything I got that seemed overly difficult was just for entertainment value, or just to see if I could pull it off. Like the firefly one. None of them lost any time though. If it cost any extra seconds I generally didn't get it. And yes I totally screw around during some parts where I can get some experience without losing time. Although I don't need the experience, I suppose viewers would probably get confused as to what the hell I'm doing. I just thought it was funny.

One interesting thing I'd like to add about this run is that I never really wanted to speed run arkham asylum at all. I always HATED the randomness of the game for speed running. Which is why I initially chose arkham city, since all the extra gadgets/abilities make it much less stressful. Although its funny my run for that is already pretty out of date, since RoboSparkle is tearing it apart. But when I finally got back to asylum, I obsessively studied master zed's run, honorableJay's segments, and anything anyone had ever said about the game anywhere to find a way to make nothing depend on chance. I'd be at work just reading about arkham asylum. It was a problem. But after all that I think I finally found a consistently reliable route. Even problems with skipping the last intensive treatment predator, which I thought would always depend on chance, can be avoided by waiting about 5 seconds before line launching to the central platform. Unlike arkham city, in my opinion, all the tricks and skips in this run can be done very consistently by any decent player. A really good player could probably get under 2 hours everytime using the same route. The hardest part was the planning, and my hands getting used to switching gadgets and looking around while running.
The Dork Knight himself.
Quote from DarthKnight:
Concerning the ivy fight, I did not use the combo batarang because I'm pretty sure it doesn't do any extra damage making the fight harder for no reason. I remember watching zed's run over and over on that part, and also recording myself using both tactics, to really see if throwing three batarangs at once really did extra damage, and I came to the conclusion that it didn't. There is only one target to go after and in my experience on the ps3 when throwing the combo batarang at one target it essentially functions as just throwing one batarang.

Well the reason I pointed that out wasn't because multi-rangs deal more damage, but that you're able to spam the attacks quicker. But it wasn't a huge deal anyway, after playing AA on the 360 a while back I realized just how awkward the console controls are (dedicated quick-throw buttons on pc are win).
1-Up!
Quote from DarthKnight:
Hah. Yeah too bad my parents didn't name me Dick.

Not a sentiment you often hear. I'm personally glad my parents didn't name me Dick. Would have been a bit... redundant.
Arrested for felony abuse of emotes
My cousin's dad was named Richard Dick. >>

In other news, grats, DK! =D