List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Game Page: Doesn't exist yet

Steven 'Master ZED' Eillis's single-segment easy run

Verifier Responses

Quote:
Verifier: the good: group fights were executed very nicely with very few errors (and none that cost him a lot of time), boss fights were handled very well
Verifier: the bad: a few trouble spots (finding boles, titan ivy) and a lot of hesitation (nightmare scenes)
Verifier: verdict: I'm going to accept this run since it's a single segment run of a hard game with 90% of the run very solid and only about 10% that could use some work
Verifier: let's hope that any future runs will try to go balls to the wall during the nightmare scenes
Verifier: quick note on the video: there's a noticable screen bob from the deinterlacing (seen a lot easier on text), hopefully that will be gone for the final encode

There's a reason for the spoiler below, it's by yours truly. I don't know why it took me this long to figure out that a spoiler tag would be the best way to hide handle his responses.

Quote:
Time to serve up the sixth in my unique brand of verifier commentary not seen anywhere else, unless someone decides to be a copycat which isn't too farfetched a possiblity. My goal? To dish out the most unique verifier commentary ever seen.

WARNING: The following commentary is not suitable for all viewers. And I do mean all viewers.

Dear People,

It is I, the verifier known only as Yours Truly! And I am doing my sixth ever verifier commentary! So, what horrible atrocity that is damaging to both IQ and sanity am I pumping out today? Well, you already know the answer, since you clicked it, but I'll give it anyway to those who suffered enough brain damage between reading the topic title and reading the start of this: Batman: Arkham Asylum, on easy-peasy mode! It's only logical that I, the insane verifier, verify a game about the mentally insane, am I right?

Many Batman games have come, and many Batman games have gone. But none of them have truly made you able to say "I'm Batman..." after playing them. They were all beat'em ups and/or sidescrollers! Not that there's anything wrong with that. Some of them kicked ass. Of course, no one has bothered to run The Adventures of Batman and Robin on the SNES (not that inferior Genesis version) yet, so it's not all well and good. But one thing at a time, and the one good thing in the world of Batman running at the moment is that this brand spankin' new run of this game where you truly are Batman, hiding in the shadows and using gadgets and shit, has now been ran!

Unfortunately, there were some...issues...no, not anything on my part! I'm innocent for once! Not anything from Mikey Boy, he did nothing wrong! Not anything in run quality, it was good from what I don't understand! And that's just it! I do not understand! Why? Well, simple you see.  The running man...DID NOT SEND COMMENTS!!!

But I'm a patient individual, so I waited.

A little under two weeks later, and I decided that I might as well get this over with. Comments or not. However, I had to switch from my gameplan of using the verifier's comments to "prove" that he is insane, due to general incompetence. A replacement was created, which was also lost due to general incompetence. So instead, I offer you this, completed at the very last minute and at great expense. And here it is. You know how it is by now. This commentary is so over the top I will warn again that it is not suitable for all viewers.

================

The Running Batman

Bitchin' walking segment with nothing to do. Bitchin' fighting. Bitchin' platforming. Bitchin' blowing bitches up when fighting. Bitchin' use of RC-Batarang against Mr. Generic Killer (best part!). Bitchin' use of the line launcher in general, especially in Killer Cock's lair. This run is just bitchin'. I'm probably missing a few bitchin's here and there due to the comments not being sent yet, but the bitchin' I've seen is enough so that I'm not bitchin'. He never screwed up horribly like missing the last orb or anything, nope, just bitchin' ass-kickin'. Oh, there was one part where he fucked up the signal thingy, that I can't remember the name of. Took him like 20 seconds to get one of those nasty nasty locks, but he still prevailed in the end! The bitchin' positives outweigh the not-so-bitchin' negatives. Bitchin' run.

================

Final Verdict:

You can put lipstick on a pig, but it's still a pig. And similarily, you can put a veil of confusion on a good run, but it's still a good run! Maybe I was just sleepy when I watched it, though. Or maybe I'm overly demanding again? Yours Truly requires comments! But hey, I know greatness when I see it, and I see it!

What? Were you perhaps expecting some ginormous play-by-play? What do you think I am, crazy? Well, yeah, maybe a little, but I'm not THAT crazy! Uhh...plus I didn't know where to separate them. >_> However, here's some fun little info for you - nate, our beloved video-handler...hell, I don't know how to wittily describe it, so I'll just be blunt: nate separated it into two parts because he thought it was two segments when it was single segment. Has that ever happened before...? It was very clearly a DVD switch! Oh, and anyone else find it funny how superior technology can still only record two hours of video at best quality?

Oh whatever. Let's just say accept this like this bitchin' thing deserves and get it over with.

Yours Truly,
Yours Truly

Quote:
Quality report:  Seems fine, although there's some slight bobbing on my end, but it's certainly tolerable and will probably be eliminated by posting (or so I've been told).  I also had a major problem downloading all of the first segment.  Several times the size of the file was either too small and twice even too big, and in either case the bobbing became intolerable.  There must have been a problem on my end, but nevertheless I had to download the file six or seven times.  Also, I don't know if there should have been two files instead of one.  Do long pauses count as segment breaks?  Assuming not, the pause should be shortened and the files appended.
Cheating/Continuity:  Nah, I didn't see anything suspicious.  Single segment.  No segment cuts as far as I could tell.  Most of the mistakes made have been addressed in the forum, but I'll list whatever extemporaneous thoughts came to me while watching.

Cons:

1. Some fighting hiccups in early areas.  Intensive care getting stuck on corners in fight.

2. Why did he place unnecessary remotes when he was trying to save the doctor/s?

3. Could have used grapple hook in batcave for minor gain.

4. Couple slipups after the (good) library section.  Tried to use batarang while in vent.  Missed critical attacks.  Tried to use grapple hook but used batarang in an office area.

5. Just wondering why he skipped some obvious experience, like teeth in library areas and an audio interview. (after watching the run, I assume it was because he had already accounted for all the experience he would need, and there was plenty left over)

6. Just wondering what he was looking at during the beginning of the second scarecrow experience.

7. Second scarecrow experience:  could have moved faster during the first section.  Looks like he got nervous.

8. Same area.  REALLY could have gone faster at the part where you have to jump up a platform, then jump across, then climb around a beam.  Worst part of the run so far.

9. [Omitted - answered my own question]

10.Not greatest fight when he entered the botanical gardens.

11.Using zipline sometimes frivolously (as in, to cross short hallways and saving negligible if any time).

12.Using super grapple on guys now and then when he should have used quickarang.

13.Um, way to go Batman.  No bullet dodge using his middle stick?  Geez, louise.  Using one's middle stick constantly is kind of a prerequisite for a quality speedrunning career.

14.What was the point of detonating the three bombs during the last part of the last section of the last scarecrow experience?  Seems like those skeletons instantly respawned.

15.Oops.  Little route mistake starting his return out of Croc's lair.  No biggie.

16.Um, the snipers don't do crap damage in easy mode.  Wish this was on normal or higher mode.  He could probably still skip the snipers if he just used a defense upgrade when nearly dead.  Or a remote control rang if need be.  But anyway.

Pros:

1.  Nice cinematic skips.

2.  AWESOME shortcut by diving into water to teleport to the top of the medical area.

3.  Fighting in general is pretty good.  Good use of critical strikes

4.  Nice idea using remotes on skeletons in scarecrow fights.

5.  Good use of the controlled batarang against zsasz in library area. Bout the only time he used that upgrade.

6.  Holy crap range amplifier is ridiculous.  Nice job saving security dudes from Harley in penetentiary.

7.  Shortly later: nice crack addict skips.

8.  Harley fight: nice use of super grapple.  Handy for stun rod men.  Not sure it's quicker than jumping over them, but seems fine.

9.  Nice double titan fight in botanical.  Though it seems on easy mode that these guys crumble faster than a cheese danish.

10. AWESOME skip exiting botanical gardens with the fountain and the zipline-to-exit.

11. Wow.  Upgraded cryptographer makes disarming bomb when back in intensive treatment a breeze.  It never leaves green.  Nice fight skips here.  Nice zipline in cell block transfer.

12. Was he trying to look at Harley's underwear???  Eh, don't blame him.

13. Nice skip to Croc's lair by falling in water!

14. Great use of zipline in Croc's lair.  I was hoping for this.

15. AWESOME skip outside batcave to the far high ledge! I never tried that.

16. Nice use of super grapple to pull men out of control room, and then nice use of range amplifier.  I'm starting to think that amplifier = if you can see it, you can disarm it.

17. Wow with second control room!  BARELY lived through that bomb he disarmed in the upper room.  Surprised he even thought to try that.  Good job.

18. Interesting titan fight after this.  Not sure his detonations worked as planned, or if this was the fastest way to do this.  My fight didn't go much longer and I didn't bother with gel.  I think he should have taken out the titan earlier in the fight, but I can't say for certain this method was slower anyway.

19. Wow, just throwing rangs every damn second at Ivy works really well.  Impressive.  Too bad he was entangled a few times.  Also, you probably could not just stand there and take damage up the wazoo like this in normal mode, unfortunately, but it certainly works for easy.

20. Joker is such a puss.  He's easier to kill than an AVERAGE titan, and he has maybe a fourth of Ivy's lifebar.  Anyway, this went well, aside from some unnecessary damage at the beginning.  Good job avoiding the exploding toys and using the grapple before all thugs were unconscious.

Decision:  Accept.  Commendable first run.  Future attempts should be on higher difficulty, but this run was quick, efficient, and introduced several tricks which had not even been addressed in the forum before the run was completed.  There were a few mistakes, notably those in the second scarecrow experience and some of the missed critical strikes, but for a two-hour-plus single segment effort produced only months after the game was released, the run was impressive.  I imagine that more sequence breaks or teleports may be found in the future, but this run is sufficiently ripe and well-crafted to be posted in my opinion.

Decision: Accept

Reason: Batman

Note: The runner is actually against posting this run because he supposedly improved it, but I haven't seen or heard anything from him in the last 3 weeks. Sad
Thread title:  
SDA Apprentice -- (3-1)
Quote:

Note: The runner is actually against posting this run because he supposedly improved it, but I haven't seen or heard anything from him in the last 3 weeks. Sad

When I heard that this run was in the verification runs, I was very excited to hear about it... I could say that while I'm happy to know that a Batman: Arkham Asylum is going to be on SDA, it is also understandable if the runner himself is against posting the current run...  Just the idea of not hearing from him for a while means that either our runner is dead, or just not accessing SDA...

This may not be my place to say, but I see this in two ways... If he hasn't replied, he may had changed his mind about the run and is ok with it, or if he doesn't want to post it, this run could be considered a rejected run, and if that would be the case, could we request to see the run?
Visually Appealing
You know, you didn't have to spoiler tag Yours Truly's this time, Mike. It's unnaturally short this time.
Quote from MAS8705:
Just the idea of not hearing from him for a while means that either our runner is dead, or just not accessing SDA...
I lurk.  A lot.  I'm always here at some point in the day.

I'm just incredibly undecided when it comes to little matters like "do I send in a replacement that's just about a minute over the 2 hour mark, making people think 'why did he not take it all the way!?  WHY!?!?' or bust my balls on a sub-2 run even though I'm not sure my skills and strategies are up to it just yet?"

There was a conversation about that mentality recently too... was it in the Mega Man 10 thread?  I don't remember.

I don't know, I just feel insecure about a 2:01 time because it looks like I slacked off, when I really didn't; I was ecstatic that I finished before my disc ran out (that was part 1 of my ultimate goal in fact, just to beat the 2:03:13 time limit on my DVD+RW (the other part being to make a run I wanted to watch myself; I can't bear to see most of the two runs I posted to this site before)), but having one minute over two hours looks really bad sometimes.  Hell, I did start watching this run (the verified run) again to write comments, but I almost felt ill at points and shut it off.  How it passed is beyond me.

But I have major perfectionist problems with this game anyway.  I have to tell myself constantly in SS attempts that minor mistakes are acceptable to keep from stressing out and crashing hard, like what happened in Scarecrow 2 in the verified run.  Maybe I just don't know what awesome looks like anymore unless I'm looking at one of CHECK's YT videos (goddamn I wish I could fight like that...).

It may be awhile before I come back to Arkham (if Just Cause 2 starts to bore me, though, who knows), and I do still have the new run, so... I'm guessing I should submit it, no?  What I wanted all along was to see the verifier comments since my first and only attempt at uploading a run to YT didn't give me the critique I needed whatsoever, and kinda "knew" the 2:07 wouldn't pass (boy was I wrong on that one...).  It's a little late, to say the least, to finally see this thread.

Oh well.  May as well look through the verifier replies now and make my comments and notes for when I'm brain-damaged enough to attempt sub-2 hours. :\
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Well Zed, do you mind if this run is posted in the meantime? I think a lot of people would love to see an Arkham Asylum speedrun.
Hmm... was expecting more replies than this... oh well.

But first, @Mike... yeah, go ahead and post the 2:07.  Thinking about it, I would rather the next run to go up on Easy mode go below the two hour mark, and while the new run is on a single disc as I had hoped, it is a more than two hour run.

So unless you get a PM from me ecstatic about reaching that admittedly arbitrary time marker, I have no real objections to posting this run.  Hopefully if I don't improve my times anymore, my mistakes will piss someone else off and we'll get a truly worthy run regardless of my laziness. Tongue

Okay then, to the one lone detailed verifier (though I am honored the crazy verifier showed up, and my apologies for the lack of comments; I still can't look at this run without feeling ill):

Quote:
3. Could have used grapple hook in batcave for minor gain.

?  Where?  I don't think you can use the Grapnel Gun in the Batcave until you have to escape from Ivy's plants... or are you talking about Dead Man's Point?  If that's the case, I'll say the same thing I did about using the Grapnel in the Arkham North/West tunnel; don't forget about the horizontal movement stalls before and after the Grapnel is used.  People really like to think the Grapnel is *that* fast, but I'm telling you all, it's *not* that fast. -_-

Quote:
5. Just wondering why he skipped some obvious experience, like teeth in library areas and an audio interview. (after watching the run, I assume it was because he had already accounted for all the experience he would need, and there was plenty left over)
Pretty much, but not exactly.  What I accounted for was the minimal amount of riddles I needed to ensure six upgrades by the time I rescue Sharp, how many Teeth I need to add to that (turns out it was few to none in the end) and how many freebies out of the two I could pick up (freebies meaning points at which collecting Riddler crap can be included because there's an overall timed event in progress that I can't shorten).

Quote:
6. Just wondering what he was looking at during the beginning of the second scarecrow experience.
Yo mama. Tongue

But seriously, that last section of the "Wayne Manor" walk doesn't require any forward movement because the whole Joe Chill encounter (well, I assume it's Chill) is a timed event, so I can look at hockey players with chainsaw dicks if I want. Tongue

Quote:
7. Second scarecrow experience:  could have moved faster during the first section.  Looks like he got nervous.
I hate that section, I can't see worth shit.  Depth perception problems in the first part, constantly hitting the left wall and falling in the pendulum part... maybe it's my SD TV.

Which would suck; that TV's been a problem-free and awesome piece of equipment for over a decade. :\

Quote:
11.Using zipline sometimes frivolously (as in, to cross short hallways and saving negligible if any time).
Yeah, sometimes it's hard to know when to zip and when not to.  Line Launcher has the same problem as the Grapnel Gun, that is, if you lessen the horizontal movement stall and add an acceleration mechanism (Grapnel Gun has that instantaneous speedup benefit).

Quote:
12.Using super grapple on guys now and then when he should have used quickarang.
I don't recall picking up Combo Batarang in the 2:07, so under that run's plan, it wasn't even an option.  That was corrected in the 2:01 (CB is now the seventh upgrade, forgoing the Gel detonator upgrade).

Quote:
14.What was the point of detonating the three bombs during the last part of the last section of the last scarecrow experience?  Seems like those skeletons instantly respawned.
There are two waves of skeletons in the last phase of the Scarecrow 3 fight; the Gel wipes out the first wave instantly.  I haven't timed just fighting it out, but I imagine it would lose some seconds compared to the Gels, the placement of which is free.

Quote:
2.  AWESOME shortcut by diving into water to teleport to the top of the medical area.
I think going the normal route versus the water dive comes out to the same amount of time, so I just take the simpler route.

Also, I grapple up to the trophy instead of the rectangular arches towards Medical not really for the trophy, but to make the glide last all the way to the water.  That may or may not be a mistake, but whatever the answer is is negligible in a single segment given how much luck can play into such a run of Arkham Asylum.

Quote:
5.  Good use of the controlled batarang against zsasz in library area. Bout the only time he used that upgrade.
That's all you can use it for on Easy.  Zsasz 2 randomly peeks out so you can hit him with a normal 'rang, but I've had him take serious amounts of time, like just before the timer runs out and he slits Young's throat for instance.  That's when I decided I had to use the RCB.

In Hard, there's at least one other instance, in Main Cell Block when you fight Harley's men atop the now-empty lunatic cells.  The second wave of thugs starts in a tiny corridor that's absolutely perfect for an RCB attack, and the fact that it always has the stun power of the Batarang Power upgrade (whether you have that particular powerup or not) may make it a worthwhile option to start that part of the battle.  You break the combo, yes, but you'll be starting the next one with two ground pounds, and then you can CB the remaining three, get two more pounds, and strike/counter insta-KO the final thug.

Quote:
6.  Holy crap range amplifier is ridiculous.  Nice job saving security dudes from Harley in penetentiary.
I don't think the way I save Louie Green is optimal, TBH, but it might be a crapshoot if I don't reposition that way.

Quote:
9.  Nice double titan fight in botanical.  Though it seems on easy mode that these guys crumble faster than a cheese danish.
Yeah, double Titan fights are all about knocking one down then turning them on each other the entire fight.  You can't do that on Hard, of course, so you have to treat them and Bane a bit like Titan Ivy when you can (they won't take damage from Batarangs during charges, but they will at any other time).

Quote:
11. Wow.  Upgraded cryptographer makes disarming bomb when back in intensive treatment a breeze.  It never leaves green.
The upgrade seems to make it so any console that isn't difficulty 5 requires only that you hold the sticks in the right cardinal directions, and since every console puzzle is random, I always hold the sticks at the start in some choice positions (up/down, left/right...) hoping for an instant hack.  It works more often than you'd expect, so yeah, the Power upgrade is unquestionably useful, at least in a single segment run.

Quote:
12. Was he trying to look at Harley's underwear???  Eh, don't blame him.
The unskippable cutscene takes a lot of wind out of my sails, and I end up bored during Joker's Green Mile escort.  I don't even like blondes, but I figure anyone here who likes a little fanservice would appreciate that angle.  Personally I'm not a fan of voyeuristic shots, but short skirts are awesome.

It's a fair compromise.  Forced to watch a cutscene in a speed run of a game that isn't Final Fantasy 7 thru 10, get a panty shot as a reward.  Sorry ladies, but as I recall, the only guy shot I could've done in that scene was of Zsasz.  I happen to think I did you a favor. Tongue

Quote:
13. Nice skip to Croc's lair by falling in water!
In retrospect, I don't think this saves time at all.  In fact, I think it loses a couple seconds.  I'm relatively sure I cut it out from the new run.

Quote:
14. Great use of zipline in Croc's lair.  I was hoping for this.
I managed to improve on this in the new run.  I also did something else new, but that's a surprise. Smiley

Quote:
18. Interesting titan fight after this.  Not sure his detonations worked as planned, or if this was the fastest way to do this.  My fight didn't go much longer and I didn't bother with gel.  I think he should have taken out the titan earlier in the fight, but I can't say for certain this method was slower anyway.
Well, you can't take him out faster really, or at least I don't know how to get him back on his feet in this scenario.  Striking him just results in hopping on his back, which you do NOT want to do in this battle because Rodeo Strikes are surprisingly weaksauce.  Even on Hard, you don't want to do this, ever; what you want to do on that difficulty is abuse the UBC to the fullest by pulling thugs into the electric gates surrounding most of the room for instant kills.

I don't think most people get the idea to try that, but I actually believe that was the strategy the developers wanted you to use all along (or it was a very happy accident).

Quote:
19. Wow, just throwing rangs every damn second at Ivy works really well.  Impressive.  Too bad he was entangled a few times.  Also, you probably could not just stand there and take damage up the wazoo like this in normal mode, unfortunately, but it certainly works for easy.
I'm actually unhappy with my performance in this fight in both runs because honestly, I should've taken more damage and used the armor upgrades to offset it.  I always think it'll be slower, or maybe cowardly, or "proving" that I don't really have the skills to run this game that I think I do by using them, and pride makes me not use that strategy.  I've very weird ideas about things sometimes. :\

Quote:
20. Joker is such a puss.  He's easier to kill than an AVERAGE titan, and he has maybe a fourth of Ivy's lifebar.  Anyway, this went well, aside from some unnecessary damage at the beginning.  Good job avoiding the exploding toys and using the grapple before all thugs were unconscious.
Avoided?  I thought that's what I did.  I corrected that in the new run when I realized you can Batarang the clown bombs (though I also screwed up the UBC to Joker all three times in some way, the last one due to rolling far away and needing two shots on the previous two grabs because I ended the fight too quickly and Joker was slow to turn around; I'm very used to including him in the combo).

Quote:
Decision:  Accept.  Commendable first run.  Future attempts should be on higher difficulty, but this run was quick, efficient, and introduced several tricks which had not even been addressed in the forum before the run was completed.  There were a few mistakes, notably those in the second scarecrow experience and some of the missed critical strikes, but for a two-hour-plus single segment effort produced only months after the game was released, the run was impressive.  I imagine that more sequence breaks or teleports may be found in the future, but this run is sufficiently ripe and well-crafted to be posted in my opinion.
I don't even remember when I did the second run (March, I think?), but there weren't many improvements to be had even then.  The key one, of course, was Intensive Treatment Lobby 1, as I finally have an Easy strategy for the second wave.  I don't have one for Hard, though (the last time I went through it, I started by 'ranging the first punk off a ladder like on Easy, and then hoped the others would follow him like lemmings... it works sometimes, but I wish I had something that wasn't so luck-reliant).
Quote from mikwuyma:
There's a reason for the spoiler below, it's by yours truly. I don't know why it took me this long to figure out that a spoiler tag would be the best way to hide handle his responses.

Dare I say...why so serious? Evil

We'll put aside the crazy for the time being. Personally, I don't mind too much if a somewhat sub-optimal run is posted, as long as it's good for what it is at the time. Look at Contra, it was improved like 10 times.

Also, o_O at Master ZED of all people running this. I thought he just researched Final Fantasy VI, and maybe a few more related RPGs. It's a strange honor not only be in his presence, but also be verifying a run of his, which he's honored about.
Quote from Yours Truly:
Personally, I don't mind too much if a somewhat sub-optimal run is posted, as long as it's good for what it is at the time. Look at Contra, it was improved like 10 times.
That's what I thought with Mega Man 9, so in submitting that run, I expected someone would take it down nice and quick.  Maybe it'd take a few months, you never really know, but someone would obsolete it by 2010, right?

The run is still there.  My plans don't work out right when SDA is involved, it seems. -_-

Quote from Yours Truly:
Also, o_O at Master ZED of all people running this. I thought he just researched Final Fantasy VI, and maybe a few more related RPGs. It's a strange honor not only be in his presence, but also be verifying a run of his, which he's honored about.
My body of work is a bit more sporadic than that.  It was consistently FF6-related for literally years until about 2005, and from there it's covered, oh...

Metroid Prime 2: Echoes (a TON of secret world and glitch work, with minor sprinkles of MP1 in there)
.hack//G.U. (lots of gameplay and hacking research, along with this (lost interest))
Mega Man 9 (in addition to the single segment run here, I have the TG Endless Attack record as well)
Super R-Type (another TG run; I saw their scoreboard and felt the game was being deliberately slighted)
Batman: AA (I had only spent about a month's worth of time with the game between first playing it and making this particular speed run... I may do the same with AA2, who knows?)
And most recently, Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3.  TG passively refuses to put up a MAME track for it (I'd have to run the SNES version since I don't have a Genesis... but I don't care for either version), so the ultimate result was this (I should've waited longer to post something, I can be a bit more chaotic with my strategies now).  I am occasionally working on a Very Hard, Master II-only 100 win streak run, as I've heard the game crashes when you reach that amount of victories... dunno where I can post it though.

But yeah, I'm not limited to RPG's at all.  I just play, research, do whatever for any game that may interest me.  I'm playing Just Cause 2 for the moment, as I get the same vibe from it I got from Mega Man's Endless mode, but that won't actually lead to anything.  It's my GTA "replacement," IOW a game I only play for the hell of it.
Visit my profile to see my runs!
Quote from Master ZED:

?  Where?  I don't think you can use the Grapnel Gun in the Batcave until you have to escape from Ivy's plants... or are you talking about Dead Man's Point?  If that's the case, I'll say the same thing I did about using the Grapnel in the Arkham North/West tunnel; don't forget about the horizontal movement stalls before and after the Grapnel is used.  People really like to think the Grapnel is *that* fast, but I'm telling you all, it's *not* that fast. -_-

I honestly don't remember.  Jotted all those comments down on a newspaper as I watched the run (didn't have my handy-dandy laptop back then).  I should have been way more specific or not have written down random curiosities, but I felt like I had sat on the run for too long and wanted to send something to Mike.  (Now I know I had plenty of time)

Comments 5 and 12 were originally supposed to be read together ... as in, there were some areas with easy experience which could have led to the addition of the quickarang.  I'm glad you decided to grab it in your subsequent efforts.  Can be useful.

Quote:
There are two waves of skeletons in the last phase of the Scarecrow 3 fight; the Gel wipes out the first wave instantly.  I haven't timed just fighting it out, but I imagine it would lose some seconds compared to the Gels, the placement of which is free.

Ahh, I forgot about that.  My bad!

Quote:
In retrospect, I don't think this saves time at all.  In fact, I think it loses a couple seconds.  I'm relatively sure I cut it out from the new run.

Really?  I would have thought it saved a small amount of time.  Or at least, resulted in the same time but with more flash.

Quote:
I'm actually unhappy with my performance in this fight in both runs because honestly, I should've taken more damage and used the armor upgrades to offset it.  I always think it'll be slower, or maybe cowardly, or "proving" that I don't really have the skills to run this game that I think I do by using them, and pride makes me not use that strategy.  I've very weird ideas about things sometimes. :\

Yeah, actually that occurred to me when I watched it this past March.  It's one of those odd tensions with speedruns where taking damage yields a better time.  In my Beavis and Butthead run, I had to take a ton of damage in the early part of the game (just running through enemies and hazards) in order to get moving, but my natural instinct was to dodge at least some of that crap, so what resulted was an unoptimized compromise between the two.  But anyway, yeah, the Ivy fight could have been faster, and [if memory serves me] you could have done better avoiding the vines.
Quote from InsipidMuckyWater:
Quote:

Really?  I would have thought it saved a small amount of time.  Or at least, resulted in the same time but with more flash.
Yeah, I take that back; when I went back and looked at the new run, it did lose time at that point.  Maybe it was my execution, I don't know, but now I'm sure whatever the case is, I overthought the matter.  If nothing else, the water is more reliable since I don't need to aim very well on where I hit it (the part of the terminal fall that transports you to Croc's Lair's entrance is pretty big).

Quote from InsipidMuckyWater:
But anyway, yeah, the Ivy fight could have been faster, and [if memory serves me] you could have done better avoiding the vines.
This is why I'm hesitant on trying to submit the new run; all it does is correct a couple major flaws from this one, has better luck (IIRC), and besides CB and better fighting, I don't recall what's new.  Both runs have bad vine dodging because I get hung up throwing batarangs.  Same shit, six minutes faster, still doesn't break the two hour mark.

Well, save for spawning manipulation when escaping Croc's Lair.  Wish I had come up with that one sooner.  It's nothing really major, but still.
I didn't even realize this was up. Can't wait to watch the video. =D
Is there anywhere i can watch this while i wait for it to be posted?  Undecided
I've been watchin it and it's amazing how few mistakes you make in a 2+ hours SS speedrun !!
You must have practised a lot not to make route mistakes.

I laughed a lot at 1:31  Grin
I would have bet you'd do that ^^
The Running Failure
In retrospect, the worst part of the run....was actually the beginning. That was almost *painful* watching you get caught on a wall, or missing an enemy in that first section. Other than that, it went practically picture perfect for a first run of the game.

If you do breach the sub-2:00 mark, it'll be neat to see that one.
#Casual
Hmm...  I THOUGHT I had responded to this...

Anyway, good job on the run (watched all of it).  It seemed pretty fluid for the most part.  Nicely done.