mikwuyma: 2010-06-24 05:32:05 pm
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Game Page: Doesn't exist yet.

Matthew 'RingRush' Inamar's run

Quote:
Game- Baiten Kaitos: Origins
Run time- 7:59:50

Video quality- Good
Sound quality- Good, however segment 5's sound is about half a second ahead of the video.

Evaluation of the run-

BK:O is one of my favorite games.  I say that because I love the battle system and wish that another game will be made using this same system.  Now, to see this game get a speedrun and make effective use of this battle system is awesome.

I won't go through this segment by segment, as there are many, many segments where I wouldn't say anything more than 'Well done.'  The runner also mentions in his comments about several spots of improvement.  These have been noted already so I won't mention them.  I will say something about a few segments, in particular:

Segment 13-
Sandfeeder fight is, just as the runner comments, not as good as it could have been.  A few uses of the Adhesive Bandages might have saved a couple of relay combos and reduced the need to use Fate's Cordial every few turns.

Segment 25-
After Palolo and Gibari defeat the guards, can't you jump down from the platform in front of you once you regain control?  If so, that would save a little bit of time.

Segments 71, 72, and 74-
The deck that the runner built was something that I did not expect, and it blew me away at the devistation it wrecked.  These are some of the 'must-watch' segments for this run.

Random Skippable Cutscene-
Curse you!  That's one of my favorite ending cutscenes!  Nooooooo!!!

Can this run be improved?  Yes, yes it can.  Any suggestions for improvement?  Not much beyond what has already been mentioned by myself or by the runner.

Final Decision- Accept.  This game deserves a run, and this run qualifies to take that spot.

Quote:
Verifier: also, i guess i can report on baten kaitos origins now
Verifier: there's not much to say, it's just a solid run
Verifier: accept

Decision: Accept

Reason: Congrats for speedrunning one third of the Gamecube's RPG library!
Thread title:  
Fucking Weeaboo
Quote:
Congrats for speedrunning one third of the Gamecube's RPG library!

Oh come on it wasn't that...oh wait yes it was.
Weegee Time
Quote from Lord_VG:
Quote:
Congrats for speedrunning one third of the Gamecube's RPG library!

Oh come on it wasn't that...oh wait yes it was.

Nah, there was at least half a dozen console exclusive RPGs, and then some Dreamcast ports and multi-platform games.  Still not great though.

Also, wow, someone did a speedrun of this game?  That's crazy!
Since Vorpal insisted, can you please add the green lines to my comments? The parts before and after are merely to show where you would place the paragraph, they haven't been changed at all.

- I cannot go back in the run and redo segments, unlike some games out there. Since the run is automatically timed instead of manually timed, a faster redone segment early on won’t have an impact on the timer later in the run.
- This isn’t about running Origins in general, but about my specific situation: while recording these segments, I experienced a small amount of input lag from my DVD recorder. After enough practice, I got used to it, but it was still an annoying thing to deal when precision inputs were required.

Without further ado, I’ll now go segment by segment explaining the specifics about what I did in this run. Segments marked by a star (*) are ones that contain a fight (two stars means two fights, three stars three fights, etc). I imagine many people will only be watching these segments (though please, don’t look at Sandfeeder, I’m still embarrassed about my time on that fight). Segments marked with a plus (+) are ones that I feel are interesting watches, even though they do not contain a fight. The segments marked with both (*+) means both the battles and the rest of the segment are worth watching.

To verifier 1:
A ) I remember being able to jump off that ledge in segment 25 too, but when I was testing it it didn't work. I think the ability to do that may only open up when you revisit Nashira.
B ) What about my deck was unexpected, especially considering segment 72 uses a different deck than segments 71 and 74 (unless you meant 71, 73, and 74...as those use the same deck)? Was it just the fact that I used Guillo specials for the first time since Diadem, or the fact that I didn't have any death revival items, or something else?

Mike: Do you still want me to write up a paragraph about BK:O for the game page? I'm probably a bit biased, but I'll do so if needed.
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Gamecube RPG Library: Yes, I know there were more than three RPGs. Can't you guys take a joke?

Intro: Yes, that would be great if you could write one for me, Ringrush.
Baten Kaitos: Origins was released in America in September, 2006 as a prequel to Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean. Origins tells the story of Sagi, Guillo, and Milly and the intense struggle between machines (promachination) and the heart (promagnation). Unlike traditional RPGs, Origins uses a fast-paced card battle system instead of the usual menu-based combat. Despite fairly poor sales, it has since been hailed as “one of the last great gems on the GameCube” and has developed a loyal following.
The Speedrunning Teacher
Verifier 1 here.

What was unexpected was how effective Guillo's specials were in clearing the crowds.  I remember having a challenging time at that point in the game, but I think it may be more attributed that I was focusing on Sagi's combos more than Guillo's.

And yeah, I may have meant 73 instead of 72 on that one.  I dunno why I wrote that.
Weegee Time
Quote from mikwuyma:
Gamecube RPG Library: Yes, I know there were more than three RPGs. Can't you guys take a joke?

Of course.  I can also choose to ignore it. Tongue