Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
1-Up!
Game Page: Doesn't exist yet

Segmented any% run

Verifier Responses

Quote:
I'm a survivor!

Video/Audio: The video is really bad because it's a v copy encoded by Nate, which means it's a really shitty low-quality xvid avi. The low quality makes the attack and defense numbers on the cards really hard to see (but those don't matter anyway), and it makes any place that's really dark like segment 69 in the swamp and the tower segment nearly impossible to see. Not really a concern because the video will be fixed in the final encode, but I'm just complaining. Audio is fine, I didn't hear any problems.

Okay, I'm not going to bother to do a segment-by-segment analysis because that would be really boring, long, and a waste of everyone's time. Also, watching 96 segments of a run that is over 10 hours is long enough, writing down notes for each segment would make it nearly twice as long D:.

This is a very good first run. I know on the forums the time estimates for this game were somewhere around 12-13 hours, and this run is about 10 and a half. Also, the segments in this run are far more optimized than any other run I've seen (here hasn't been much though). The runner clearly has a strong grasp of the game's combo system, which is really apparent late-game where he's makes at least one sunrise or sunset (and frequently more) per boss battle. The runner is also great at throwing away cards that won't help him in a battle. There are very few movement errors. In fact, when the runner makes a movement error, it really sticks out because they're so rare.

Oh yeah, the party used throughout the most of the run (Kalas, Xelha, Gibari) is obviously the best one. They get the class ups earliest, and they also do the best damage. Mizuti would be comparable to Xelha if she didn't get her class-ups so late. Her voice is annoying anyway so I'm glad she's not used. Tongue

My only question about character choice is why Lyude over Savynna during mid-game? IIRC, Savynna hits harder than Lyude, and she comes at a higher level.

There's two things that really bug me. The runner goes out of his way to collect a lot of magnus. I know that a lot of these magnus are necessary to survive and/or help speed up battles, but he goes out of his way to collect so many that I can't help but feel that if he maybe collected only 60-75% as many magnus, his battles would still be about as fast as they are in this run. It's hard to say though, because the magnus you can buy really aren't that great so you're forced to collect some either by grinding on enemies a bit (which doesn't happen very often this run), by collecting treasure, or by doing sidequests.

Out of the methods for collecting magnus, I think the treasure is best, but I do feel like the runner could save 5-10 minutes if less treasure was collected, but I have no idea what would be cut. I also think the first trip for the constellation sidequest is worth it because the runner obtains a lot of useful magnus, but I don't see the purpose of the second trip, especially since most of the magnus are outdated by the time the runner collects the rewards, and a lot of them are defensive magnus. The enemies the runner grinds on are rare, and the magnus he gets from them are justified, IMO.

The second thing that bugs me is going out of the way to do Xelha's class 6 sidequest before the final dungeon, and how the runner levels during the final dungeon. I know getting class 6 Xelha makes the final dungeon a lot easier, but I'm not convinced it saves the 8 or 9 minutes the quest takes because it's only one dungeon (albeit a long one). Also, I'm pretty sure it would be better to cut down the trips to the church in the final dungeon by half or more, because a lot of the trips only yielded one level-up per character, and your levels are so high end-game, that I doubt one level for an upcoming battle matters.

A smaller complaint I have is that the run is over-segmented by 10-15 segments. I know sometimes short segments are necessary to luck manipulate magnus from battles, or make sure you can run away from an unavoidable encounter, but there were some segments that were just a bunch of menu-work which should have been combined with earlier or later segments. This isn't really a big issue since it wastes maybe a minute at most.

I know I complained about the run a lot, but the flaws stick out because the run is quite good. Like I said earlier, this is a very good first run and should be posted on the site. No matter how well-planned a run of this game is, it will never be perfect because of how random the game is. Unless if you want to go insane from trying to manipulate 100% straights every fight. Tongue The luck manipulation involved in this run is insane, especially during one of the final segments (I think it's 94) where the runner manages to flee from the first two out of four unavoidable encounters instantly, gets a bunch of sunsets/sunrises on the boss, then manages to get a sunrise for a battle he actually has to fight (making it way quicker), then managing to flee in the middle of the last unavoidable encounter.

BTW, I think the standout is segment 83, which not only makes two painful boss fights (that should be one) look easy, and there's a sunset in it with only 3 attacks, yet it does 1800 damage. Just shows how overpowered sunsets and sunrises are. Tongue

Accept! Just don't make me watch 10 hours worth of run again. D: How did the Skies of Arcadia verifiers verify 12 hours of run?

Quote:
Just to start, no audio or video issues.
The run is of very good quality, really showing the runner's research and ability. Some of the fights toward the end of the run, which would take the average player hours upon end, only took a half hour. It really shows the dedication that the runner put into this behemoth of a run.

The run is a definite accept without a doubt.

Quote:
Ok so there it is. This run is very well perform overall, I agree with Mike on most things like the number of segment, I know this is a approx.10H30 run but even with this I was expecting about 65 to 75 segments, so the first thing I notice is you have too much segment in my opinion because I'm sure, looking at the quality of this speedrun, some segment could have been fusion together but I'm not necessarily a reference on this since I'm pro SS. I'm also sure that Savynna hits harder than Lyude so why not Savynna. I find that this run lack fluidity in some places but on a 10H speedrun I find it acceptable. Your fight were very well planified, I believe you restart a lot these segments. You show a huge(and by huge I mean HUGE) luck manipulation, which I'm sure, took a lot of restarts. You were very menu efficient, when I first saw you only writing 007 I was"ok, that's good" and when you start playing in the menu(I mean changing cards, etc.) I was completely words less. Anyway, you show that you have a good control on the overall game, you did a good job because when we are commenting about the details, it's because your run is very good and believing that you are perfectionism, we looks like we are waiting more. Overall, I think some time could be cut off(and some segment too), eventually I think this game could hit the 10H(which I found funny because before seeing this run, I expect a minimum of 14H in this game.) and it would be fun to do a SS of this(any verifier for a 15H run Tongue ). The A/V suck but I know that this isn't what it'll look like in the end. Of course, no cheating.

Congratulation: Accept for the patience of the runner to do a speedrun of this length, for the luck manipulation and the menu efficiency and overall fight knowledge. 

I was also a verifier and I have nothing more to add. I also accept this run.

Decision: Accept

Reason: It's actually a good run of a game I thought we'd never get.

Congratulations to Scott Collins!
Thread title:  
My feelings on The Demon Rush
OH NO THE THIRD VERIFIER EXPOSED ME! Nah it's cool. Congrats Scott, you deserve it for taking on this beast of a run. Just please never do a single-segment because this run was already too much for me to verify. Tongue
Edit history:
RingRush: 2011-08-07 09:45:38 pm
RingRush: 2011-08-07 09:45:23 pm
RingRush: 2011-08-07 09:45:20 pm
"My only question about character choice is why Lyude over Savynna during mid-game? IIRC, Savynna hits harder than Lyude, and she comes at a higher level."

I'm pretty sure that is because Savyna doesn't class up until after you get Kalas back, and classes are way more important than levels in this game.

I started watching this run and then forgot to finish it (I wasn't a verifier), so thanks for reminding me about it. Smiley I never thought a run of this game would be done because of the super heavy luck manipulation required (Origins was hell and this is even harder), so huge congratulations to getting a run that is accepted. I also agree with verifier 1 that Xelha's sidequest seems like it might not have been worth it, but until I redo my Origins run utilizing Fire-Brewed Tea I can't talk about strategy errors. :X
Main Work!!!
Quote from mikwuyma:
OH NO THE THIRD VERIFIER EXPOSED ME! Nah it's cool. Congrats Scott, you deserve it for taking on this beast of a run. Just please never do a single-segment because this run was already too much for me to verify. Tongue

It could have been Mike89, we don't know Tongue .
Edit history:
scottimu5: 2011-08-08 11:47:10 am
scottimu5: 2011-08-08 11:40:28 am
AWESOME! Thanks guys. I know there a lot of concerns so let me explain my thinking. I am still working on comments for this game but it's taking forever and I work and go to school. My run is over-segmented. I was always thinking about combining smaller segments to the beginning of very achievable ones, most notably the segments where I just menu navigate to structure my decks. The problem is that these 1 minute deck alterations take me about 2-3 hours to plan and pull off. The cards I choose will be with me always so I can't screw up. I have to think about character specifics, elements, magnus transformations, and whose going to be in my party 10 boss fights down the road. It may look like a quick segment but believe me I am more than happy to save and put the segment behind me. To save only takes a second or two depending on when the game timer starts and ends so I went with it. Getting around enemies is also tough and I needed to cut back on repeating steps as much as possible in this game.
  For the constellation magnus I made my worst mistake. It probably cost me about 3-5 minutes in the later game. Most notably going all the way outside through the wall to the mezzanine of the fortress to grab the Scorpius magnus. I didn't study well enough. I was under the impression the magnus rewards were sequential and not assigned directly to a particular constellation magnus. I didn't find out till later that grabbing the Scorpius constellation in the fortress would always be some lame defense magnus. My mistake. In my defense however, who knew this game would throw out such craptastic magnus towards the end of the game and it was difficult to say if I would need any defense items end game. There was always a lot to think about off camera in this game and this one still haunts me. If I did this run again I'd skip all magnus after the 20th. The first 20 are critical so Xelha can get her Anti-paralysis equipment to be successful in the Dark Kalas fight. If even one character doesn't have anti-paralysis gear the game sniffs out who that is and goes after them. It's the same thing when I fight Geldoblame for the first time, he always picks the character who's holding the Sacred Wine to attack with his Forfeit Your Life spell. Which is cool cause then you can control who dies and be ready for it.
  A few segments after I was done with the fortress I started to realize I needed to redo the segment and skip the constellation magnus. This meant however that I would have to fight Dark Kalas again, fuck that. I spent an inordinate amount of time on that fight and I cannot and will not do it again. Funny story about that fight actually. I had gotten up on a Monday morning with the birds chirping and house empty. I made myself some coffee and fired up my computer. I opened my Pinnacle studio program and started capturing my run. I proceded to sit down and rip through Dark Kalas on my first attempt in under six minutes! I could not fukking believe how legendary the battle was. I hurried up with the rest of the dialogue in the segment and finally saved, I was thrilled. Imagine my disgust when after checking to see if the video had been captured I had 62,000 dropped frames!! I was furious and talking to myself. My computer wasn't warmed up and was still running start-up bullshit and killed my dream fight. This wasn't a one or two second audio delay but a total non-existence of my segment. I was so frustrated that I sat down for 8 consecutuve hours until I produced the run that you see in segment 65. I didn't eat, drink, or take my eyes of that screen until I was satisfied. I finally got a run completed ten seconds slower than the first. I missed my first class of the day at 5:30 PM and just made my 8:00 PM class. That's why I couldn't go back and fix my constellation magnus problem. HA!
Edit history:
scottimu5: 2011-08-08 12:13:43 pm
scottimu5: 2011-08-08 12:13:20 pm
scottimu5: 2011-08-08 12:12:31 pm
Magnus collecting was difficult to decide upon. I figured out pretty early that defensive and healing magnus are pointless to acquire. In this game the best defense is a strong offense so it made little sense to grab weak magnus that become obselete in a couple of game hours. Towards the end though I was wondering if I'd need them, I didn't. I definitely could have skipped certain magnus but I felt that I needed every single offensive magnus I could earn in a fight or buy. I was under stocked on offensive magnus almost for the whole game. I made the most of magnus transformations I could, bought as much as I could, and even flew from town to town later in the game to buy some more. It seems like a waste of time for sure but I have to do it to increase my attacking chances. I may spend 30 seconds of game time to hunt down a weapon that hardly gets any screen time. It may not play very much or it might produce ten deathblows, who knows for sure but I just need to increase firepower. Ultimately you guys are right and I could skip certain magnus, like the Piggy Bank, but I had to scavenge for much of the time. I could have saved 5 minutes probably. It's hard to say though because those pointless magnus cards sometimes just throw themselves in front of you and it might be worth only 5-10 seconds of lost time. I can't even begin to think of all the instances where I'd question the necessity of my magnus collections. I just did the best I could. If you want a play by play you should go to youtube. I have started my segment descriptions there and I am very specific. Eventually what you see there is what will be on this site, if it will fit. I am up to segment 10 but summer quarter is almost over so I'll have a day off.
Ahhhh yes, the decision of whether or not to get the Level 6 class ups. This was an issue for me. Naturally I wish I could have skipped all of them. I thought long and hard and finally decided to get only one of the two, Xelha's. It's right in town, doesn't take that long, and allows me to get some cool magnus which includes the Skull Anklet for Xelha. Unfortunately you just can't run into the Book of Fortress, grab the Class up item and Skull Anklet and then run out. Actually you can but you are not allowed to advance to Cor Hydrae until you finish any quests that you start. It sucks but I have to kill the upgraded Sabre beast. The question has been raised, "Why class up"? The best answer I can give is using an example. In Xelha's last battle before her class up in segment 85 in the Fortress of the Book she lands a 6 hit combo with finisher for 1,270 damage. Against the trio in segment 83 she does 1200-1500 damage on average. After she classes up she hits for around 3000-5000. This keeps the battles in Cor Hydrae short. If not I'm up against an extra one or two time wasting sibling god attacks and the threat of death in two attacks. You can see how ineffective Gibari is against the gods and I just couldn't have two fighters that weak. Sufficed to say that spamming Kalas might not be such a bad idea and it may have been smarter of me to just skip Gibari's attack completely every single time. So if I didn't class up Xelha, spammed Kalas, how would I do? I don't really know. I don't think I would be able to survive the intense firepower of the gods but with luck I might do just fine. It's really hard to say without sampling all of the options but you really have to take them all the way to the end of the game because it's so close. I just knew that getting both Gibari and Xelha's Class ups wasn't an option. Xelha's made the most sense. Without it Xelha is only landing 1000 points of damage per turn, same with Gibari. Kalas can pull down 4000-5000 with a nine card straight. The God's have 14000 HP. I have 5 Gods, 2 Malpercio's, and a Geldoblame still to beat. Is the time to get the Class up for Xelha made up in these battles considering the magnus I picked up in the fortress as well. Who the fuck knows? You would have to play it out for the fastest time and even then allocating the time savings would be tough. IMO either alternative would be acceptable and is comparable time-wise but having a beefed up Xelha certainly makes life easier. I would love to see someone prove me wrong however...no I wouldn't. happy
Why would I use douchebag Lyude over sexy Savyna? Savyna is faster and hits harder. I played this game a while ago now so it's hard to remember my exact thinking but what stands out the most is Lyude's light attacks. Lyude is not that bad. I was able to do some wicked damage with him because of the spirit numbers he possesses and straights I could make. Even his dark attacks have a good amount of non-elemental damage attached to them. As most of you know, light based attacks are the best in the game, Savyna has none. She is more of a pair, two-pair kind of girl. Her class up is later than Lyude's throughout the whole game. She is fast, almost too fast though because I do need some time to think when I'm dumping cards. Savyna doesn't have a lot of magnus that she can get, you're pretty much taking what she starts with to the end. I just thought it would be smarter to build on Lyude as much as possible rather than go back and forth between the two. I didn't want the time developing Lyude to be wasted by using Savyna. I truly believe that every character can be either good or bad depending on how you equip them. Usually there is a character balance that is maintained by the game developers. They gave Savyna great attack power, good speed, and a nice ass. To balance that they limited her elements to fire and ice and made her claws scarce and very expensive. Lyude has the ever important light element and is no slouch with his horn blowing attacks. Lyude gets stronger as he goes on and Savyna seems to stay the same IMO. Naturally it's tough to decide who is best and I only used Savyna against two bosses with immunities to Darkness where Lyude would have been ineffective. Again, the characters are what you make them and in a situation where two alternatives appear to be equal they probably are. Honestly, I don't know who the right character is but by choosing Lyude I have light attacks and I don't have to spend time making the character switch.
Edit history:
scottimu5: 2011-08-08 02:24:03 pm
TO CONCLUDE, this game is fukking awesome. It's beautiful, fun, funny, and addictive as hell. Everyone says the voice acting is terrible but I think that it's hilarious. It just adds to this game sense of humor. Sometimes I am amazed it was even given the green light into production, it's a tad scandalous. There are references to Gibari wearing lipstick, speeding up when a traffic light turns yellow, and my personal favorite an attack with the imaginative title "Lick em' and Leave em'".... and yes it's a giant clam that attacks you! That goes to show you that they had some serious fun making this game and it shows. The battle system is quite fun as well and I always like a game that uses a card based system. This game lets you decide how difficult you want your battles to be. You can literally fill your deck up with a single spirit number or go for the nine card straights, either way it's fun. One weird thing in this game though, aside from the misspelling in the opening credits, is how a two-card straight gives you a higher percentage attack bonus than a pair. A two card straight is easier to make.

You can beat this game in under ten hours. It would literally come down to the last portion of the last segment against Geldoblame (whom I devastated), but it can be done. Don't pick up any defensive or healing magnus except for the defense auras. The defense auras are combo 3, meaning they can't be used earlier than the third card in an attack, and play a card of the same element to activate them. Some defensive magnus should be acquired to use your defense auras. Don't level up as much in the church. Don't get the constellation magnus after the 20th, or even that many although good luck with Dark Kalas. Every boss battle has got to be perfect. It's hard to notice in some fights but the biggest time difference is not what your fighters do but what the boss does that saves the most time. Limit the segments to save some time. Don't make any extra trips to acquire any magnus. I actually flew from town to town to get some awesome magnus. Was it worth it? Yes, but admittedly I probably could have struggled more than I did in Cor Hydrae. Don't get the level 6 class up for Xelha. I am starting to think it's quicker not to although you will be in Cor Hydrae for months. And finally my biggest tip of the day, when you have a chance to get Jill's Jewelry Box don't sell it. After many hours it changes into a Jack in the Box, which is an escape magnus. The timing is so close that you may actually have an extra escape magnus for the forced encounters in Cor Hydrae. That would be huge and I was pissed I didn't have it. The timing was so close that I don't know if it was possible though. A third escape magnus could trim off 3 minutes all by itself raising the escape odds. Also make sure to cross reference different FAQ's because there are a lot of mistakes. I was under the impression that the Magical Piggy Bank gives you 100,000 dollars and solves all my problems. It only gives you 10,000.:(
Thanks SDA for letting me clutter up your channels and for accepting my run. Thanks to the goofy bastard Kitashi and his Baten Kaitos playthrough vids, all 250 of them. Thanks to Gamefaqs, keep up the good work. I am working on comments for this run, I am piecing them together. Someday I might come back to this game but I am working on something big right now. Until then...
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Hah, you have got to be the one other person who thought the voice acting was hilarious. There were times I couldn't stop laughing when I played the game.

Magnus: You're right, deciding with magnus to collect is really hard to decide on, because like I said earlier, the game doesn't hand you a lot of magnus for free, and shop magnus is pretty weak. As for constellation magnus, I agree that the first 20 constellation magnus are critical, they helped you out a lot. You did a great job choosing the magnus for your first time through.

Lyude: You're right about Lyude having a lot of light magnus (which are by far the best), and that it's easier to get magnus for him than Savyna, but I'm still unsure. It's hard to say unless if someone actually tested out using Savyna. You are right about having to think too fast with Savyna. I can't count the number of times I lost a combo because I wasn't inputting the commands fast enough. Sad I agree that there are no bad characters in the game as long as if you spend a little bit of time working on them.

Anyway it looks like you have planned the game more thoroughly than anyone else Scottimu5, and your run definitely deserves to be posted on the site.