1 page
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Game Page: http://speeddemosarchive.com/BanjoTooie.html

Mike 'MegaDestructor9' Dickson's Boss Rush ILs on the XBLA version (I think the only difference between versions is the addition of a timer in the XBLA version)

Verifier Responses

Quote:
I can respect a runner who likes to keep simple and straightforward.  However, it is always a pet peeve of mine whenever there is no description and/or the order of the run seems incorrect.  Granted this being ILs for boss fights, there is no additional thing that needs to be explained, but still

Segment 1: first boss fight is- o wait, it is just showing the final times of all the boss fights in the ILs. I guess there isn't much to the first segment.
Segment 2: Chilli Billi- 32.60- And the out of sync runs begins, anyway, in the fights against Billi and Willy there is little time where you can attack them, but the runner optimizes the amount of time before the cannon comes up when he fights .  There was also a bit of showboating during this fight, as the runner allows himself to get hit several times, but it doesn't really slow the runner down.
Segment 3: Chilly Willy- 48.10- Meh, copy and paste the Segment 2 comments, minus the showboating.  Of course, because Willy has twice as many hit points (Willy has 12 compared to Billi's 6), this fight takes a bit longer.
Segment 4: Lord Woo Fak Fak- 45.00- Can be seen as an underwater version of Mr. Patch's fight (would be nice to say if the runner actually did it in order).  The runner places his shots well, of course there was a few misses.  It was a good fight.
Segment 5: Mingy Jongo- 10.80- *Gets back up after laughing hard for a minute* How I love curve stomp battles.  After the runner hits the fake Shaman, he keeps him in place by using the invincibly feathers to get hit after hit in until the fight ends.  To think though that this isn't the runner's shortest boss fight.
Segment 6: Mr. Patch- 28.60- What is it about Mr. Patch that everyone loves about him?  The run had alot more well placed grenade egg shots, and the runner quickly placed himself in the right positions after he finishes parts of Mr. Patch.  Most entertaining of the runners ILs.
Segment 7: Old King Coal- 6.90- Does a nice job hitting below the belt with all of his shots, Kudos for quickly aiming after every transition.  Fastest run in the whole set.
Segment 8: Targitzan- 31.60- I hate to keep asking questions during a verification, but I wonder why rare decided to also make FPS for Banjo-Tooie (ignores goldeneye). again, the runner uses well placed shots to attack the boss and his minions.  Finishes quickly again.
Segment 9: Terry 34.10- Another boss fight where the runner intentionally gets hit, use of grenades to weaken the boss faster, destruction of minions fast and etc.  Another good fight.
Segment 10: Weldar- 1:00.50- The only highlight of this fight is how the runner allows himself to get squashed.  Outside of that, the runner does good to attack almost immediately when the boss is open.
Segment 11: - The final boss and... err, let me save this for last.
Segment 12, 13, 14: Klungo fights- 21.00, 16.20, 19.50- Considering the fights are just about the same, might as well group them.  once again, does well to attack just as he is left open.  Easy to hit when he grew big, shot eggs when he turned invincible, and even well placed shots again during the clones.  During the end of the third fight, I was actually considered when the runner got hit.  Unlike all the other showboating hits, this one felt it could of and should of have been avoided, but the fight ended well.

Segment 11- Hag 1- Alright, now for a proper verification.  funny how the runner decides to stand on the drill for the whole fight; not only does this do away with tyring to dodge the lasers, but pretty much allows the runner to stand right in front of the witch when she comes out.  Not to mention how the runner even manages to stay on even during the time the drill is on.  Later though, the runner does get off to finish her off once and for all.

Overall, a well completed performance of the bosses in Banjo-Tooie.  I'll be sure to check on Xbox Live to see the runner's gamertag and send him a friend invite for a job well done.

Until then, Accepted...

*after revised videos were sent in*

Chilli Billi- 31.30
Chilly Willy-47.40
Lord Woo Fak Fak- 43.40
Mingy Jango- 9.70
Terry- 32.30

Pretty much copy and paste what I said earlier, including the accept or just replace the times I wrote previously...

Quote:
First off, I approve of visual and audio quality. Now on to the segments.

Segment 1 - This shows all your times for each boss? To be honest I think this segment's totally unecessary, or it could be the last segment. Oh well...

Segment 2 - Nice showboating during the Chilli Billi fight. Arriving at the pedestals at the exact moment to toss some ice eggs into them was neat. Solid fight.

Segment 3 - Not much to say about Chilly Willy, it's really the same exact thing as the Billi fight with a bit more tongue jumprope. Also a solid fight.

Segment 4 - Lord Woo Fak Fak is one of the most difficult bosses during anyone's playthrough of this game, and seeing such short work made of him is impressive. There's only one or two missed shots but they can't add up to more then a single second. Great work.

Segment 5 - Mingy Jongo becomes a Mingy Joke-o. Great usage of the invincibility feather to turn an already easy boss into a laughing stock.

Segment 6 - Mr. Patches is one of my favorite fights in the game, I've never seen him taken out so fast. Aiming in this game is tougher then it looks and you nailed almost every shot. Fantastic fight and my favorite segment so far.

Segment 7 - Old King Coal, I don't even have to say anything. Ice eggs make what was already the easiest boss in the game even easier. King Coal sits down to talk in a ridiculously fast 6.80 seconds.

Segment 8 - The hit detection is wonky on Targetzan allowing you to sometimes hit him through the side. The runner takes advantage of this and blitzes through the boss, hitting some targets the second they reset on the boss. Great grenade strat for the flunkies too.

Segment 9 - Terry's an annoying boss, but short work is made of him taking him out in only two cycles. Some more fun with invincibility feathers too.

Segment 10 - Very impressive AI manipulation during Weldar. As well as incredibly pro aim. This guy can be one of the toughest bosses along with Woo Fak Fak, very impressive segment.

Segment 11 - Hag-1 wait WHAT!? Cool hit detection Rare, I gotta admit I didn't know that you could literally ride on the drill for almost the entire battle trivializing it. Also very smart damage taking to avoid minimal time off of the drill... the fact it doesn't even hurt when spinning is so silly. Very nice acrobatics towards the end of the tank portion, close fight too. Miss Winkybunion is left phoning for a tow truck in only 2 minutes and 54.56 seconds.

Segment 12 - Klungo 1 battle, not much to say about him, easy boss fight and fast to boot.

Segment 13 - Klungo 2 same thing as above, only add eggs and invisibility gimmick.

Segment 14 - Klungo 3 oooooooh clones... yep dead.

Decision: Accept.

Quote:
All theese boss fights are more or less perfects until new strats come and improve that. Theese are fast and nicely realised. Accepted

Decision: Accept

Reason: TooieDestructor9
Thread title:  
that Metroidvania guy
MM9 segmented run, wru??????????
I've been watching MegaDestructor9's youtube videos for a while now and was very impressed with the amount of times he improved these runs to guarantee they would be near perfect runs.
SDA Apprentice -- (3-1)
Quote from facetouch:
I've been watching MegaDestructor9's youtube videos for a while now and was very impressed with the amount of times he improved these runs to guarantee they would be near perfect runs.

You have no idea my friend.  It was like every time we finish verifying a boss video, the runner would send another video that outdoes it, and another and another... and it got to a point where we all agreed "Screw it, whatever he sends in, it  is auto-accepted"

Great job all the same though...