1 page
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Game Page: http://speeddemosarchive.com/BanjoKazooie.html

Matt 'packattack' Flees's single-segment 100% run.

Verifier Responses

Quote:
Banjo-Kazooie 100% SS

A/V - Good stuff

Cheating - Did not notice anything, so no

I watched this run a few times now. I am impressed with this run overall. I was gunna do a Wold brake down, but after reading what I wrote, I figured summing it up would be best. I did not want to be repetitive.

Again, I was impressed with this run. There are a few rout changes (some for the better and others for worse). This run is littered with mistakes throughout the entire thing, some costing fractions of a second and others  are more brutal. I feel like I should not accept this run. But at the same time, I want to.

Some things that can be improved, fix all the small mistakes. There was a a LOT of them. Example is right at the start, the runner was a few seconds ahead of the current run then made a small mistake and ended up about dead even. After getting beak dive, use it for faster travel. Plan some of the finer details out better, for example in monster mansion in the building with the organ, the runner gets the note close to the organ then away from the organ on one side, the do the exact same thing on the other side. That is a waist of time being that you need to go to the organ right after the notes. This happens in a few other spots as well, not exactly the same but similar.

Overall, I believe that MOST (not all) of the time saved was from not doing the wall glitch in rusty bucket bay and not talking to the fairy to get info about the witch. There is a bunch of time saved right there.

So for me this run is running a fine line between accept and reject. And because it is right there, I will have to reject this run. If the runner puts some more time into this, it would be an easy accept, but this run that was presented just falls short with me. Don't give up on this run though.

Quote:
Mumbo’s Mountain
- Completed about 13 seconds faster. The old run missed a note in two groups each and had to go back for them, and the note collection route changes slightly.

Treasure Trove Cove
- Goes about ten seconds slower. There was a spot where he fell off a ladder while collecting notes, but the other run just had better gameplay for the rest of it.

Clinker’s Cavern
- The runner doesn’t have as much luck with gathering the notes on the very bottom of the level due to his air almost running out, so the old run actually catches up to him despite its Mumbo token screw up.
- The runner also falls further and further behind over the course of the level it seems, but in the end, makes it out only three seconds slower.

Bubblegloop Swamp
- Misses several beak busters on the Tiptup choir, but he doesn’t pause like the last run did, so he finishes it faster.
- The runner doesn’t accidentally transform out of the alligator and back again, so there’s more time saved.
- The exact same route is used, so there’s not much else to say.

Misses the first attempt on the Gruntilda statue.
Misses several beak buster attempts to get the jiggy through the sarcophagus, whereas the player of the old run got it in one.

Freezeezy Peak
- About 15 seconds faster due to better item collection optimization and not screwing up the “On” switch on the Christmas tree.

Gobi’s Valley
- The player of the old run had some sort weird event happen where he missed the last ring sphinx and ended up on the wall behind it, fell into the hot sand, had to go back to the flight pad on top of the big sphinx, and finally fly through the last one. He also screwed up the beak bomb which opened up the next pyramid. This doesn’t have those errors. It does seem to have others which results in them completing the level in almost the exact same time though.

Mad Monster Mansion
- The first puzzle is solved faster.
- I don’t know how the hell the runner manages to do it, but he falls off the roof right while he’s right over the hole he needs to go in, forcing him to go around all the way around to the ramp and climb up to it again. It’s a mistake that sets back 30 seconds behind the other run of this level.

He screws up jumping to the water level raiser at least four times. The player of the old run got it on his first try and he didn’t fall off after breaking the box.

Rusty Bucket Bay
- He also messes up on the big TNT box, and is forced to leave and re-enter to do it again.
- The runner doesn’t try to push himself through the window in the engine room, unlike the player of the last run. I guess it’s too much of an unreliable glitch.
- This world goes 1 minute 24 seconds faster by my count.

Click Clock Wood
- Nothing major to note except a faster completion time.

Grunty’s Furnace Fun
- This gets completed two minutes and ten seconds faster. The runner doesn’t get one of those timed challenges which helps out a lot.

Final Battle
- The old run defeats Gruntilda almost 30 seconds faster than this one. The runner also gets the red honeycomb health, but the player of the old run didn’t. That had to cost at least fifteen seconds.

Looking back over this, I’m seriously confused as to how the other run was 2:40:05 and this one ends up being 2:36:01. Sure Bubblegloop Swamp, Rusty Bucket Bay and Grunty’s Furnace Fun go faster, but the final battle and Mad Monster Mansion don’t. A lot of other levels go a few seconds slower and there are mistakes in Gruntilda’s Lair. I’m pretty sure it’s because the player of the old run kept pausing in spots, but when comparing them side by side for levels, it’s hard to tell that the new run is an entire four minutes ahead of the old run at the end despite highly visible screw-ups from both of them. Gruntilda’s Lair actually baffled me the most, because the final battle has to count towards that on the timer. The runner also makes far more mistakes in the Lair area and the time for the whole Lair is still FASTER than in the old run when reviewed at the end. It must have been the pausing and the new run skipping all the Brentilda conversations, but it didn’t seem like that much.
Putting that aside though, I guess the numbers don’t lie by the end... UNLESS HE CHEATED... but he probably didn’t, so I’m going to go ahead and say we accept this run.

Quote:
Verifier: Alright
Verifier: I'm goign to post impromptu run comments
Verifier: so listen up people
Verifier: starting below this line
Verifier: -----------------
Verifier: I am no expect in this game, but I know a fair bit about it
Verifier: I'm basically verifying because mike asked me to, to help settle a tie break
Verifier: *expert
Verifier: anyways, I wont' say who I am
Verifier: because I believe in verifier secrecy
Verifier: and on the off chance that somebody knows my identity, please don't reveal it
Verifier: I think overall, the run is solid
Verifier: the play quality is generally very good
Verifier: there are small mistakes in a lot of different places
Verifier: and three or four large mistakes, most notably the slip-up in Mad Monster Mansion
Verifier: these two combined, make me wish an improvement was made sometime in the future
Verifier: But the fact that he managed this entire feat without talking to Brentildas
Verifier: really makes this a different story
Verifier: There is about a 1 in 5 chance the run is doomed from the start, just by getting a grunty question on a death square in the puzle game
Verifier: add this to all the other hard tricks and constant optimization you need, and it makes this run much more impressive
Verifier: again, the mistakes were definitely present
Verifier: but not enough to ruin the run overall
Verifier: I also question some decisions, but I'm going to assume the runner knows what he is capable more than I do
Verifier: so in conclusion
Verifier: Accept this run
Verifier: -------
Verifier: comments over

Decision: Accept

Reason It is an improvement over the old run, even if it might not be all in execution.

To be honest, this is a somewhat borderline decision because somehow only 2 out of the 5 verifiers ended up responding and I had to scramble for some more verifiers. Yes, that is also why verification took so long. :-/
Thread title:  
Visit my profile to see my runs!
Someone already beat Gibbatizer's run?  Wow.  Great job, then.
fucking .gif....
if this is the same run he put on his youtube channel...I wonder why he submitted it :[
(user is banned)
Yes Mario Riding A Pole
he prob did to get more World Record legit or something
After reading the comments, I have to say that I am only excited to see this to figure out how four minutes was saved. 
Edit history:
Heidrage: 2010-11-19 09:28:06 pm
Heidrage: 2010-11-19 08:11:55 pm
Willing to teach you the impossible
I will stand up and say I was the first verifier. I did so much to try and figure out where the time was saved. I watched side by side, manual timed each stage, and even more. And I just don't get it. I still wish that the runner would clean up the run. There is SOOOO much time to be saved from all the mistakes. I am sorry, but I really don't want to see this run get posted. If anyone can, even the runner of this run, please run it again. I don't really know what else I can do besides run it myself. But I don't ave the means to do so. This run and runner has so much potential, but this just falls short. I really don't mean to bash, I am just expressing my opinion about this run.
Edit history:
MASTER-88: 2010-11-20 04:28:01 am
Master-88
Congrats packattack!!!!;)

First verifer was big bad ass hole. He reject this even you improved it by 4 minutes. Good job man!

Quote:
if this is the same run he put on his youtube channel...I wonder why he submitted it :[

WTF?
Precursor
Quote from MASTER-88:
First verifer was big bad ass hole. He reject this even you improved it by 4 minutes. Good job man!

Just because it's an improvement doesn't mean it should be automatically accepted. The new run is only 2.5% faster than the old run, and does it with what to me sounds like sloppy playing, and thus has the potential to be so much more. The sheer fact that he's falling behind in the second stage already is a bit... eh.

I haven't seen the run, but I'm just trying to make the point "Faster time =/= always accept".
Master-88
Quote from KennyMan666:
Quote from MASTER-88:

Just because it's an improvement doesn't mean it should be automatically accepted. The new run is only 2.5% faster than the old run, and does it with what to me sounds like sloppy playing, and thus has the potential to be so much more. The sheer fact that he's falling behind in the second stage already is a bit... eh.

I haven't seen the run, but I'm just trying to make the point "Faster time =/= always accept".

But faster is always faster. Previous runner talking with Brentilda several times and its look so stupid. For sure this run is not are perfect but 2 and half hour lenght game is impossible make perfect and for sure this run look faster than previous one. If you was verifer number one you are ass hole because you can,t play well like this and its make you envy.
Precursor
Quote from MASTER-88:
But faster is always faster.

Not quite true. Trying to explain this would be more effort than it's worth.

Quote from MASTER-88:
For sure this run is not are perfect but 2 and half hour lenght game is impossible make perfect

Not asking for poerfect. Asking for consistent, non-sloppy playing.

Quote from MASTER-88:
and for sure this run look faster than previous one.

The impression I get from the first two verifiers is that... it doesn't. It has a faster final time, but the quality of playing doesn't make it look like it's actually faster.

Quote from MASTER-88:
If you was verifer number one you are ass hole because you can,t play well like this and its make you envy.

You completely missed the fact that a) Heidman already posted identifying himself as verifier number one and b) I stated that I have not seen the run, didn't you? And if you really think that a verifier would reject a run due to being envious of the runner's skill, I have a bridge you might be interested in...
Jumping Turtle
I'm completely foreign in the realm of Banjo-Kazooie, but the "faster is faster" argument reminds me of my reasoning for considering submitting a 1:13 Bomberman 64 run to knock out the current 1:34. I had been out of my element, though. These days, I don't think I could bring myself to submit any run over an hour. Three game overs in a 1:08 may still have a faster time, but it still has three game overs. :^/

Though this sounds like a much less extreme case. It might be more comparable to someone submitting a Super Metroid 100% done in 54 minutes or something.
Edit history:
ridd3r.: 2010-11-21 05:13:08 am
we have lift off
Not this argument again.

Quote from KennyMan666:
Quote from MASTER-88:
But faster is always faster.

The impression I get from the first two verifiers is that... it doesn't. It has a faster final time, but the quality of playing doesn't make it look like it's actually faster.

Seriously you should watch the run yourself before passing comment. I watched the run on youtube and thought it was significantly better, as do most of the people who commented in the Banjo Kazooie thread after it was posted (the kind of people who know the game pretty well). Just because a couple of the verifiers can't get their head around why this is faster everyone assumes it's no better? This run is a clear improvement as you can see from the final time.
Willing to teach you the impossible
Edit history:
KennyMan666: 2010-11-21 05:23:25 am
Precursor
Way to mix and match quotes there.

Quote from ridd3r.:
This run is a clear improvement as you can see from the final time.

All I'm really saying, and it's not even about this run specifically, is that a lower final time does not have to objectively mean a better run.
Edit history:
ridd3r.: 2010-11-21 06:19:01 am
we have lift off
Quote from KennyMan666:
Way to mix and match quotes there.

?

Quote from KennyMan666:
All I'm really saying, and it's not even about this run specifically, is that a lower final time does not have to objectively mean a better run.

No I agree, except that's not the case here. The reason the run is four minutes faster isn't due to some easy new skip. It doesn't leave the old run for dust, but it is better.
E=mc²
Quote from MASTER-88:
Quote from KennyMan666:
Quote from MASTER-88:

But faster is always faster. Previous runner talking with Brentilda several times and its look so stupid. For sure this run is not are perfect but 2 and half hour lenght game is impossible make perfect and for sure this run look faster than previous one. If you was verifer number one you are ass hole because you can,t play well like this and its make you envy.

Insulting people, who are of a different opinion is not an acceptable way to behave; your mother should have told you that.  You should apologize or get a temporary ban (if admins can do something like that).

On topic: Nice effort, packattack. I´ll watch the run later. Love Rare´s old N64 stuff.
Jumping Turtle
I think they prefer giving out spankings.
Quote from ridd3r.:

No I agree, except that's not the case here. The reason the run is four minutes faster isn't due to some easy new skip. It doesn't leave the old run for dust, but it is better.

Just for the record, it sounds like a significant part of the improvement can in fact be attributed to 'easy' stuff, like not attempting the risky wall glitch or skipping Brentilda.

I'm reserving my judgment until I see the run, but at least a couple of the verifiers were not persuaded that this run was so obviously better.
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Even though I'm not an official verifier, I have watched the run and would vote to accept it. Most people don't realize how scary BK speedrunning is, especially when you're over an hour in. There are soooo many other things that he could have screwed up but didn't, and should definitely be thankful for the minor mistakes that were deemed sloppy.

Yeah, he could easily fix those mistakes, but then new ones just as bad would arise. Thus is the nature of BK speedrunning.