Use \ before commas in usernames
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Game Page: http://speeddemosarchive.com/BaldursGate2.html

Eli 'Smilge' Chase's run

Verifier Responses

Quote:
heres my section by section breakdown of the BG2 run done by smilge/smlige

section 1 (first 10 mins)

could (does) yoshimo do a backstab on the portal with his katana, that could be faster to have him take them out with a backstab.  which might save 1/1000th of a second.
also maybe imoen could pick up a sword earlier and perform a backstab too.

custscene skips looks too fidily to complain about it

when he first appears in amn, if imoen casted haste and gave items to smlige, he could have started running of to the adventures mart earlier

the cutscene when irenicus and imoen are sent to spell hold, where some simulacrum limited wish / leaving party members type breaks attempted.  id hope so.

again cutsceney breaky possibleness maybe,  esspecially in the spellhold cutscene as the party is probably in the top left corner of the map, and if that is the case then maybe this would be an opertunity to skip to spellhold,  but this is just speculation, no time lost

section 2 (6 mins)

the polymorphs here are epic, the Different area diologes here are also epic.  the micro here rivals, jesus.

all quests handed in at the same time, unimaginable.  and brilliant.

by clicking on a message as it is being said, you advance conversation, so if he clicks on the message and spams enter, he can get through convos faster, probably my biggest anoyance with this run, as the runner refused my obvious greatness when i suggested this to him, 3-4 seconds lost(possibly) over the course of the run.  here is where it is first evident that it may be viable as convos dont take 1/4 second they take a second.

runner does not mention (i think) why he attacks seamon haverian, mabye its just for shits and giggles.

runner spends momnets, tring to save, rather than just getting on with things and saving half a second later once slightly closser to his original goal

yoshimo should have been transformed back to natural before entering spellhold.

he should change yoshimo to troll (faster) so he catches up with smlige and then maybe a collision check glitch could be activated (no return to natural form) and spellhold would be skipped slightly faster.

section 3 (8 mins)

a crit on that gnome dude may be slightly faster, but luck manipulation is a bitch.

dragon quest fail is increddible.

could he activate a stone skin so that when the archer fires at him, when waylaid by drizzt.  he doesn't lose time to recoil.

in bohdis lair, he moves minsc to the far left corner of the elf encounter map, but couldn't a DAD be done closer to where you hand in the quest? appears that it would make no difference

yoshimos ring of air control can be activated faster by using f1-f8 keys, rather than using the mouse.

suldeneselar segment is one giant mind fuck.  im gonna just say its fast.

after seeing imoen squirm and go into her death talk-alot mode, maybe this could be used to help break cusscenes, pre-fire lighning bolt, she dies in cutscenen BAM, broken as she starts to blab.

section 4 (5 mins)

tree of life is fast. much faster that cloudkill most certainly.

i think i have a slightly old version of hell here, so i can't reveiw it properly but yoshimo should be using troll form to run about faster throughout.

FUUUUCCCKKK:  its already over.

um, accept, i see 10 seconds possibly of RIDICULOUSLY hard to correct mistakes.  i wish i could make anything of this quality  Sad

audio visual = good, very good infact.

Quote:
Okay, Mike, the BGII run.

What to say? This run is amazing. I can't believe Smilge has almost halved his old time, and gotten the time down to less than a third of Damurdoc's original run. Many new tricks are used, and multitasking with the party is done well. In fact there are so many tricks and so much multitasking that you would have absolutely no chance of figuring out what's going on without Smilge's comments. I think I can say with reasonable confidence that this is the most technically complicated run submitted to SDA to date, or very close to it. The length of the comments reflects this.

Basically, execution is excellent with extremely precise high-speed clicking everywhere except at the end of a couple of the hardest segments, and planning is almost exclusively solid with a small handful of possible improvements that were found too late to be used.

Some of the new tricks are awesome and ridiculously powerful. Iron golem backstabbing rapes every boss in the game, and different-area-dialogue allows even more confusing multitasking than there would otherwise be. It's pretty lucky that cutscene breaking exists because it saves the viewer from a lot of boring cutscene time. What I also really like about the run though is all the little tricks and subtle optimisations that you really need to fully understand to appreciate, like different-area-dialoguing Imoen in Suldanesslar just before the party is teleported together to use her for item collection, or the use of the sword room autosave in Suldanesslar to enable Smilge to rest, or the familiar cast over skeletons in the Underdark, or moving the Simulacrum used to cast Limited Wish in the docks around to where it can also be used to help with a polymorph jump instead of using summons, or attacking Saemon in Brynnlaw to stop his dialogue. The average viewer will see and maybe understand all the big tricks and sequence breaks, but these subtleties will probably slip under most people's radar. Also I don't think people will really appreciate how tight the execution in this run is; clicking that accurately at high speed is really damn hard.

There are certainly some notable improvements possible, some of which I found and some of which I would probably never have discovered or noticed if Smilge hadn't pointed them out to me. The dryad skip, which lets you exploit Irenicus's dryads to teleport Minsc straight from the start of the second level of Irenicus's dungeon to the exit, skipping over a minute of dungeon, is probably the biggest single saver that wasn't used. The other major change that would likely be helpful is having the main character play as a Mage/Thief instead of a Mage, and take Shapechange for themselves instead of giving it to Yoshimo. In this run, Yoshimo should've been sent to talk to Desharik in Byrnnlaw using troll form, which is faster, and there's a silly mistake kicking Yoshimo out to go to the hell trial. And I'm pretty sure there was one other silly mistake Smilge mentioned but I can't remember now. Oh, and I personally still have some slight doubts about whether working for the Shadow Thieves would really work out slower than working for Bodhi, given there's a cutscene skip that saves about 50 seconds that's only usable if you side with the Shadow Thieves. There's probably enough left to wring out of this game that someone else who was sufficiently motivated (or maybe even Smilge himself) could improve this run one last time.

None of this diminishes the awesomeness of this run, though, which is a huge improvement on the old one and really takes running of this game to a new level. I reckon the limit for this game is close to being reached - but then I would never have believed there was this much time to be shaved off the old run when Smilge started this run. Anyway, I accept, in the strongest possible way.

Quote:
Baldur's Gate 2

Great video and audio. Probably no cheats.
I say 'probably' because the game is so broken at this point it's hard to tell what is going on, even if you have played the game through a billion times. This run is the culmination of so many strange bugs with the Infinity Engine that make the game into a warpfest. I'm just about able to follow the action (I'm glad I made that Infinity Engine tricks page on the kb) and what I see is both hectic, well planned and quick.

As an improvement and excellent run, this is an accept.

Decision: Accept

Reason: At this rate, the next run will be about 10 minutes, tops.
Thread title:  
Hooray! Good to see this has been verified.

In response to some of the first verifier's points:

Quote:
could (does) yoshimo do a backstab on the portal with his katana, that could be faster to have him take them out with a backstab.

Nope, they're not backstabbable. They don't throw up an 'immune to backstab' message but you simply can't get a backstab on them regardless of what angle you attack them from. Maybe they can see invisible and that's why?

Quote:
also maybe imoen could pick up a sword earlier and perform a backstab too.

Imoen would probably help more by summoning monsters to help attack the portals than by going at them herself in melee. At any rate I do agree that there's probably some way to save a little time here but it's already so micro-intensive that any extra action you want someone to take won't even get ordered until the portals are nearly dead anyway.

Quote:
when he first appears in amn, if imoen casted haste and gave items to smlige, he could have started running of to the adventures mart earlier

True as far as I can tell. I think this may have been one of the things Smilge mentioned to me as being a silly mistake.

Quote:
the cutscene when irenicus and imoen are sent to spell hold, where some simulacrum limited wish / leaving party members type breaks attempted.  id hope so.

again cutsceney breaky possibleness maybe,  esspecially in the spellhold cutscene as the party is probably in the top left corner of the map, and if that is the case then maybe this would be an opertunity to skip to spellhold,  but this is just speculation, no time lost

There are multiple ways of breaking or avoiding these cutscenes, but all of them break the game in some way. This was one of the things we devoted the most time to finding a way to do but we concluded that, at least with the ways of breaking the engine we've discovered so far, there simply isn't a way.

Quote:
by clicking on a message as it is being said, you advance conversation, so if he clicks on the message and spams enter, he can get through convos faster, probably my biggest anoyance with this run, as the runner refused my obvious greatness when i suggested this to him, 3-4 seconds lost(possibly) over the course of the run.  here is where it is first evident that it may be viable as convos dont take 1/4 second they take a second.

Dialogue button mashing is certainly something I think deserves serious scrutiny in any future run. Clicking the dialogue window to advance it is indeed a possibility but only saves a few frames max per conversation (since after every click there's a delay before you can advance the dialogue by clicking again, so you'd the clicking would only advance maybe every third or fourth line of dialogue and the rest would be advanced by the presses of enter and hence not sped up at all), plus using the mouse requires you to position the cursor in the dialogue window and mash with two hands, and sometimes to move away the cursor at the right moment before the convo end and position it wherever you'll need to click next. Button mashing and rapidly entering conversation options in order actually takes a fair bit of concentration, so what's being proposed would add some difficulty for little reward. That's not to say it's a bad idea, just you can make a case defending Smilge's method.

Also, for many long conversations where the most time is to be saved, mashing both 'enter' buttons rather than one enter button and the mouse is likely to be the better method.

Quote:
runner does not mention (i think) why he attacks seamon haverian, mabye its just for shits and giggles.

It's to avoid his dialogue. You're right, the comments don't mention this, perhaps we should rectify it.

Quote:
could he activate a stone skin so that when the archer fires at him, when waylaid by drizzt.  he doesn't lose time to recoil.

He doesn't lose time anyway because he's got to wait for Minsc to get into position.

Quote:
in bohdis lair, he moves minsc to the far left corner of the elf encounter map, but couldn't a DAD be done closer to where you hand in the quest? appears that it would make no difference

Uh, we don't have any control over where we do the DADs. DADing characters have to be at the same co-ordinates as each other.

Quote:
yoshimos ring of air control can be activated faster by using f1-f8 keys, rather than using the mouse.

Doesn't matter, Smilge has to wait for the Djinn to force dialogue anyway.

Quote:
after seeing imoen squirm and go into her death talk-alot mode, maybe this could be used to help break cusscenes, pre-fire lighning bolt, she dies in cutscenen BAM, broken as she starts to blab.

Maybe but this won't break any cutscenes that can't already be broken using Simulacra, and it costs you Imoen so I can't see where it could ever be worth it.

Quote:
i think i have a slightly old version of hell here, so i can't reveiw it properly but yoshimo should be using troll form to run about faster throughout.

Nope Smilge didn't redo hell in the end.
Edit history:
Beenman500: 2010-03-02 09:37:58 am
Joke of all trades
well done smlige, thanks cabbage, lets hope it gets updated within the year  Tongue

Quote:
Quote:

Maybe but this won't break any cutscenes that can't already be broken using Simulacra, and it costs you Imoen so I can't see where it could ever be worth it.

i was only thinking so as it happens faster, and maybe it could make the skip at the beggining of the game easier, rather than having to kick imoen out

also with regards to clicking on the dialoge boxes, i found it faster to click, and it didn;t require you to take you hand of the mouse which is anoyying, but apperently im the only one who thinks this and i just want to see it.  and i didn't find that it delayed moving on to the next option as much as pressing enter did.  but i think at soe point smlige said he had to count most of the time the number of enters so its understandable that he wouldn't want to just spamclick anyway
Quote from Beenman500:
i was only thinking so as it happens faster, and maybe it could make the skip at the beggining of the game easier, rather than having to kick imoen out

But then you'd lose ages replacing Imoen!
Joke of all trades
Quote from ExplodingCabbage:
Quote from Beenman500:

But then you'd lose ages replacing Imoen!

if you find a big enough skip...

also IIRC don't you skip alot of cutscenes around then, and you replied to one of my other things about having to wait for a dijn.  though i realise imoen must fnger of death and blah blah,
Quote:

Imoen couldn't cast haste because she already used hers at the start of the second floor of Irenicus's dungeon. I'm pretty sure Smilge couldn't use his there instead because his mage level is lower than Imoen's and the haste wouldn't last long enough to exit the dungeon.

Quote:

I wasn't having any success with this when you first mentioned this. It seemed like clicking caused the game to wait a solid second before advancing each dialog. Care to post a vid on youtube or something so I can see if I'm doing it right?

Quote:
runner spends momnets, tring to save, rather than just getting on with things and saving half a second later once slightly closser to his original goal

I assume what you saw was lag. If you look closely you can see it when I enter the docks after killing Aran, when I get to spellhold, when I enter the Kuo-Toa area of the underdark, and probably some other places. The save was meant to make it look like I wasn't lagging, since that would be unfavorable in a speedrun. It happened every time I got to those areas dispite my best efforts, so covering it up with a save was the best solution I could find.

Quote:
yoshimo should have been transformed back to natural before entering spellhold.

Hmmm, yes he probably should have. Though a future run will use Yoshimo in troll form to talk to Desharik and enter spellhold. At the time I didn't know that Troll form was significantly faster than walking.

Quote:
he should change yoshimo to troll (faster) so he catches up with smlige and then maybe a collision check glitch could be activated (no return to natural form) and spellhold would be skipped slightly faster.

Troll form and collision checks don't mix. If you get a chance, have someone shapechange from an Iron golem to a Troll. Then try to walk anywhere. The game makes them stutter or pause (like when you give a group a new command) every half second or so.

Quote:
a crit on that gnome dude may be slightly faster, but luck manipulation is a bitch.

Jaheria did crit him once. Two crits is a little much to ask for, going from 1 in 20 to 1 in 400. Honestly I was just happy that I didn't get stopped by the Svferneblin guarding the bridge. I expected to, which is why the camera centered on Smilge for a bit there (I was spamming 1 and enter, pressing 1 centers the camera on the PC).

Quote:
Quote:

Uh, we don't have any control over where we do the DADs. DADing characters have to be at the same co-ordinates as each other.

There is a bit of leeway with coordinates, especially since Minsc in out in the open (so he won't think Smilge is out of line of sight; there's nothing blocking the view). However, Bohdi has to fly to her coffin, which takes some time. In some attempts I actually had to wait a split second to stake her because she hadn't gone all the way to the coffin in bat form yet. So even if Minsc gets to Elhan sooner, he would have to wait for Bohdi to get staked before talking to him.

Quote:

I think a future run, if it ever comes to be, would use Imoen to shop at the Adventure Mart. She would kill herself and all the items would transfer to the PC. Dialog is easy enough to come by with Limited Wish, so I don't think I'd waste her to create it. Especially since she has no "kill self" button to activate dialog at the correct time. Remember, she is immune to all death magic.

Quote:

Hell didn't get redone, so Yoshimo doesn't need to go anywhere. Also, his shapeshift abilities are stripped when he enters hell.

Quote:
could (does) yoshimo do a backstab on the portal with his katana, that could be faster to have him take them out with a backstab.

Nope, they're not backstabbable. They don't throw up an 'immune to backstab' message but you simply can't get a backstab on them regardless of what angle you attack them from. Maybe they can see invisible and that's why?
method.

Are you sure about this? I just backstabbed one.

http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/5421/backstab.jpg
I was sure, but clearly I was wrong all the same.

What direction did you backstab from?
Mmmm interesting. A future run will probably skip the whole second floor by using the Dryads of the first floor to teleport Minsc to the end of the level, but nice find all the same.
I was sure, but clearly I was wrong all the same.

What direction did you backstab from?

i had my party/summons in the middle, and yoshimo was down and to the right of the red circle. it didnt occur to me to take a screenshot until later on though which im sorry for.