--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Game Page: Doesn't exist yet

Assassin's Creed II (100 %) (Segmented)

Decision: Accept

Congratulations to François 'Fed981' Federspiel!
Thread title:  
Run Information

Assassin's Creed II (100 %) (Segmented)

Verification Files

http://v.speeddemosarchive.com/ac2_pc_segmented/

Please refer to the Verification Guidelines before posting. Verifications are due by June 21, 2014.

Please post your opinions about the run and be certain to conclude your post with a verdict (Accept/Reject). This is not a contest where the majority wins - I will judge each verification on its content. Please keep your verification brief unless you have a good reason otherwise.

After 2 weeks I will read all of the verifications and move this thread to the main verification board and post my verdict.
This is the perfect run in every single part, incredible work! Fed is the best AC Speedrunner.

Yes, absolutely accepted!
Wake up and be awesome
God dammit Fed, why'd you have to run a game where you can't skip any cutscenes :). Anyway, I haven't actually watched the run yet, but knowing his stuff, it's bound to be damn good
Wake up and be awesome
Oh lord, here we go. I decided to commentate on each individual segment (considering how there are 157, that was a stupid mistake on my part). One thing I'm glad about is that the run is now in English. Call me a stupid American tw@t (hopefully someone recognizes that reference), but runs that I can understand are just a little more enjoyable. My apologies to Fed981 for having to listen to my bantering Smiley .

Segment 1: Lucy is a bitchy friend. Not much to say here
Segment 2: Desmond has magical mind powers. The parking garage fight was interesting. In your any% run, you hid in a corner and let Lucy counter attack the guards, but now you fight them as well. I'm assuming someone found out that fighting is faster than hiding
Segment 3: I don't care about what you people do, I just want to kill people. A lot of walking and talking, simple
Segment 4: Ezio is taking a dive for the run, beautiful. The first fight always seems sloppy, but there's only so much you can do with fists at this point
Segment 5: God I love the theme song for this game. And now the routing comes into play. I can't even begin to imagine the pain it was routing a run this big, major props to you. I always love the fact that the game gives you button prompts for how to kiss and undress Christina. One would think Ezio has done this enough times...
Segment 6: Did Claudia order a hit on her ex boyfriend? The line "he should suffer for what he has done" scares me Sad . Fast delivery on the letter and easily knocking out the boyfriend.
Segment 7: God damn feathers, hated having to collect all of them, can't wait to see how you deal with them in the run. Anyway, for the first feather, you might have been able to take a more direct path, but the other two feathers were perfect
Segment 8: Insert beating up mother to save time joke here. Not much to say here. Also "I meant besides vagina's." Oh Ezio
Segment 9: I never knew women were contagious. Very short segment so again, not much to say here
Segment 10: Prison guard AI is astounding in this game -_- . Losing a guy because he climbed up a wall, good lord. Yet again, not much to say here
Segment 11: Save warping, oh goodie!
Segment 12: Save warping, oh goo- wait, I just said that. Seriously though, I'm in love with the theme song
Segment 13: Killing guards with a sword? I WANT MY HIDDEN BLADES! After running past the first set of guards, it's probably possible to avoid pissing off the second set, so you only have to face 2, but I'm sure that's slower
Segment 14: I'm sure Ezio was thinking to himself during the execution, could we move this along? I have some letters to give to random people I have never met before. Simple escape from the pursuers, nothing special
I think I will let you finish before commenting these (can't wait though!)
Edit history:
161803398874989: 2014-06-20 01:16:58 pm
161803398874989: 2014-06-20 12:52:55 pm
161803398874989: 2014-06-20 04:29:22 am
161803398874989: 2014-06-20 04:29:10 am
161803398874989: 2014-06-20 03:38:19 am
161803398874989: 2014-06-19 08:03:28 am
161803398874989: 2014-06-19 08:03:28 am
161803398874989: 2014-06-19 08:03:27 am
161803398874989: 2014-06-19 08:03:27 am
161803398874989: 2014-06-19 08:03:26 am
161803398874989: 2014-06-19 06:15:38 am
161803398874989: 2014-06-19 05:28:49 am
161803398874989: 2014-06-19 03:31:37 am
161803398874989: 2014-06-18 02:15:16 pm
161803398874989: 2014-06-18 06:25:39 am
161803398874989: 2014-06-18 05:19:02 am
161803398874989: 2014-06-18 02:18:51 am
161803398874989: 2014-06-18 01:43:55 am
161803398874989: 2014-06-18 01:43:53 am
161803398874989: 2014-06-18 01:43:37 am
MATHEMATICS
Damn, before June 21st? That's real tight (have to finish my thesis as well), but I'll try to get all the parts before that time.

Part one: very solid. Might have been faster to let Lucy take the last guard in Abstergo. First fight not perfect, but really good like you said. Your Maria punching technique was very en pointe. Tongue I found your route to get the feathers for Petruccio a bit odd, but I doubt it's slower, knowing how much attention you pay to details. Same with the escape from the execution. I had expected you to do the delivery and beat-up near the villa ASAP, but I'll have to see where you do them instead to fully comment on it.
Part two: the save warping to get rid of guard detections was neat. I liked the Uberto blitz, though I think you can save 2 seconds here by jumping differently (next to the painting rather than having it between you and Uberto). Or does this get you detected? Getting out of the city with a coin toss was strats, real neat.
Part three: some of the fights were a bit sloppy, but with the glitch it still saves time... I take it you weren't able to reproduce it? The Vieri blitz was nicely executed. Real nice use of save warping.
Part four: well done on the dummy assassinations, very cleverly done, assassinating the first dummy like that. Love that first shortcut in the catacombs. Not sure if the jumping bit at around 9:20-9:25 is optimal, but it doesn't cost much, if any, time. Overall the freerunning in this part is solid. And finally, an extra mission! What's up with Lorenzo's sleeves in the cutscenes?
Part five: ouch, that jump in the Auditore crypt near the beginning. Cost a bit of time. Rest of the crypt is super tight though. The savewarp afterwards is really nice too. The contract with the 5 Borgia soldiers was done nicely. How'd you manage that air assassination on the third guy? The blitz on Salviati is solid, don't recall seeing that before, though I might just not be remembering. Nice shortcuts in the Torre Grossa. Also nice find with going ahead and hitting the trigger early-ish for Jacopo's assassination.
Part six: stupid rocks in the palazzo Medici. I really like your routing though. Carriage ride was perfect, well done. Overall very solid play.
Part seven: a bit of a stumble here and there, but not much and often in places where you could afford it (you have to wait for the thieves anyway). Really liked the shortcut in the church and the routing when stealing the armour.
Part eight: solid as well, except for the Carlo Grimaldi assassination. Waste of throwing knives.
Part nine: why are you using the gun so much? With the contract where you had to tail the party guest, a hidden blade kill would've sufficed at no time loss. With the 3 harlequins, you could've gotten one and saved some time.
Part ten: solid overall. Taking out Silvio and Dante with knives was very pragmatical, I like it.
Part eleven: your routing in the tomb sequences is a thing of beauty. Nicely done.
Part twelve: Overall pretty solid segment, liked the superjump.
Part thirteen: Why did you keep travelling to Cannaregio rather than something that requires less menuing? Is Cannaregio the only fast travel station where you spawn right next to it?
Part fourteen: not much to say here. Well done.
Wake up and be awesome
Sorry that I haven't been here much. Kind of forgot about this. Anyway, will try and review some more parts later today, but I think 1618 is doing a damn good job so far
MATHEMATICS
Now that I've viewed and commented on all the parts, I guess I should give some general verdict, right?

Overall, the run is well routed and well executed.

As far as routing goes, there were some places where you chose to climb straight up where I would've gone for a more complex freerunning combination. Particularly the climb up to the pigeon coop in Firenze (part 13, you did it a couple times). I would've gone to the building on the left, then use the beam to get up in two wallruns. I'd say that's about equal or a bit faster. I really, really, really liked your routing in the various tombs. Very good work on finding all those shortcuts, a lot of those I didn't know yet.

As far as execution goes, there are some freerunning mishaps, but where they happen the time cost is small. The word I'd use to describe your execution is "solid".

As a final verdict, obviously this is an accept.

One thing though, why did you bother buying the caestus? And another question: how much do you think the current AC2 any% could be improved with the new strats?
Edit history:
Fed981: 2014-06-20 01:47:55 pm
Fed981: 2014-06-20 01:47:36 pm
First of all, thank you for verifying and accepting.

Quote from 161803398874989:
Part one: very solid. Might have been faster to let Lucy take the last guard in Abstergo. First fight not perfect, but really good like you said. Your Maria punching technique was very en pointe. Tongue I found your route to get the feathers for Petruccio a bit odd, but I doubt it's slower, knowing how much attention you pay to details. Same with the escape from the execution. I had expected you to do the delivery and beat-up near the villa ASAP, but I'll have to see where you do them instead to fully comment on it.
Part two: the save warping to get rid of guard detections was neat. I liked the Uberto blitz, though I think you can save 2 seconds here by jumping differently (next to the painting rather than having it between you and Uberto). Or does this get you detected? Getting out of the city with a coin toss was strats, real neat.
Part three: some of the fights were a bit sloppy, but with the glitch it still saves time... I take it you weren't able to reproduce it? The Vieri blitz was nicely executed. Real nice use of save warping.
Part four: well done on the dummy assassinations, very cleverly done, assassinating the first dummy like that. Love that first shortcut in the catacombs. Not sure if the jumping bit at around 9:20-9:25 is optimal, but it doesn't cost much, if any, time. Overall the freerunning in this part is solid. And finally, an extra mission! What's up with Lorenzo's sleeves in the cutscenes?
Part five: ouch, that jump in the Auditore crypt near the beginning. Cost a bit of time. Rest of the crypt is super tight though. The savewarp afterwards is really nice too. The contract with the 5 Borgia soldiers was done nicely. How'd you manage that air assassination on the third guy? The blitz on Salviati is solid, don't recall seeing that before, though I might just not be remembering. Nice shortcuts in the Torre Grossa. Also nice find with going ahead and hitting the trigger early-ish for Jacopo's assassination.
Part six: stupid rocks in the palazzo Medici. I really like your routing though. Carriage ride was perfect, well done. Overall very solid play.
Part seven: a bit of a stumble here and there, but not much and often in places where you could afford it (you have to wait for the thieves anyway). Really liked the shortcut in the church and the routing when stealing the armour.
Part eight: solid as well, except for the Carlo Grimaldi assassination. Waste of throwing knives.
Part nine: why are you using the gun so much? With the contract where you had to tail the party guest, a hidden blade kill would've sufficed at no time loss. With the 3 harlequins, you could've gotten one and saved some time.
Part ten: solid overall. Taking out Silvio and Dante with knives was very pragmatical, I like it.
Part eleven: your routing in the tomb sequences is a thing of beauty. Nicely done.
Part twelve: Overall pretty solid segment, liked the superjump.
Part thirteen: Why did you keep travelling to Cannaregio rather than something that requires less menuing? Is Cannaregio the only fast travel station where you spawn right next to it?
Part fourteen: not much to say here. Well done.

Part two: you don't get detected by jumping differently in the Uberto assassination, it's only a small mistake from my part.
Part three: the glitch happened once in thousands of tries, that's why I kept this one.
Part four: Lorenzo was a little bit glitched but only graphically.
Part five: for the third guy of the five, you can air assassinate given you're hanging like I did, it's just I did it very quickly.
Part nine: I'm using the gun because you don't need to run to the target, and you can go again right after the death, on the contrary to the hidden blade.
Part thirteen: actually Cannaregio is the first one in the menu where you spawn right next to it, and also Venezia is the first location in the first menu.

One thing though, why did you bother buying the caestus? And another question: how much do you think the current AC2 any% could be improved with the new strats?

The caestus is useful to deal more damage when fighting opponents with fists (S9). And I think the current any% run can go down to ~5:00:00 with the new strats and save warping.
MATHEMATICS
Quote:
Part nine: I'm using the gun because you don't need to run to the target, and you can go again right after the death, on the contrary to the hidden blade.

What prevents you from using throwing knives?

Oh, also, A/V was excellent. On YouTube the run looks like shit, but if you download the files you'll see they're quality.
Edit history:
Fed981: 2014-06-21 01:05:56 pm
What prevents you from using throwing knives?

Throwing knives may not hit their target if it moves too quickly. Also, for the targets needing two knives, the first one may get you detected and compromise things. And according to me, one bullet takes as much time to shoot as two knives to throw.

Last but not least, for the guy in the party, my first plan was to use the hidden gun from far away, but I finally decided it was too difficult.

To finish, the game page does exist : http://speeddemosarchive.com/AssassinsCreed2.html
The Dork Knight himself.
Finally finished watching this behemoth.

A/V quality is excellent. No cheats used from what I can tell.

If I really wanted to, I could go over every single section of this game in fine detail to pick out mistakes. Doing so would only come up with a few small errors in movement. Given the type of game this is, even in a segmented run such as this there are going to be small errors in favor of massive strings of luck or incredibly risky strats. This run delivers on what counts: incredibly solid execution and taking care of missions in ways that truly amaze.

Helluva good job. Definite Accept.
MATHEMATICS
Is there ever going to be a verdict for this run?
Wake up and be awesome
It should come soon, I think all the administrators are just recovering from sgdq. Either way, once it's gets verified by the admin, I think we all know what the verdict is
So I can finally get rid of hundreds GB of raw video? yay! Smiley
Not a walrus
Right, sorry, SGDQ slammed me and I'm still sort of in wind-down mode. I'll try to get to the verification stuff tomorrow.
Decision posted.
Thank you very much! And thanks once again to the verifiers!

Also, as already said, the game page already exists: http://speeddemosarchive.com/AssassinsCreed2.html
MATHEMATICS
Congratulations dude. Smiley

Now let's see if I can get some progress on that AC1 speedrun I've been talking about for years. Tongue