Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
1-Up!
Game Page: Doesn't exist yet

SS run
Segmented run

Verifier Responses

Quote:
No problems detected with either run. Good, solid speedrunning.

(As a side note, there are some versions that allow you to get away with not blasting the bottommost wall in the cave section, from what I recall, but this does not appear to be one of them.)

Quote:
No cheating detected. AV quality is excellent. The segmented run has a death in it, but it saves approx 2 minutes by facilitating a skip.

Execution is excellent and I didn't spot any overt mistakes in either run. My only gripe is that it might theoretically be possible to save more time with more segmentation, but honestly the difference is probably measured in single-digit seconds. Which, granted, is a fair bit for a run this short, but I'd have to test it out before I can really say for sure.

Normally I like to be more detailed but there really isn't anything more that needs to be said. Solid accept.

Quote:
SS
No problems detected with audio or video. No cheating detected.

The run is very impressive, showing a consistently high level of precision throughout. The latest SNES TAS (by Nitrogenesis) doesn't look all THAT much more optimized than this.

The timing should start when the player hits enter in the main menu, because the opening cinematics are then skipped. That's just before 00:01. Timing ends when Lester is pulled up through the final teleporter at 10:16.

Segmented

No audio or video issues. No cheating detected.

The only part skipped in the segmented run is the underwater section, which is only required for making a room safer (well, a lot safer). That's where virtually all the saved time (around 1:20) comes from. There are other places where one can apply luck-strategies, such as the orb-guard (as mentioned by the runner), and if it's the same in this version as the SNES, skipping pulling the lever after the dark laser-flash room. It is unknown to yours truly how much consistency can be achieved with those two and possible other skips, and because the run looks so smooth otherwise, I'm ready to accept it as it is.

Timing starts at closer-to-00:01-than-00:00 again. I'm not sure how to time the segment change. I guess we go to the end of the first video, to 5:16, then from the very beginning to 3:40, the final teleporter, in the second segment. 8:56? Is there a time penalty for using two segments?

Decision: Accept both

Congratulations to Alexis "NHG" Gabaig!
Thread title:  
Oh shit, didn't know anyone was running this game.  Lookin forward to seeing this.
Edit history:
romscout: 2012-04-25 04:13:46 pm
that Metroidvania guy
Oh hey. This run actually happened. Not the biggest fan of the game, but I struggled through it just like a bunch of other people so I'm looking forward to watching the run.
Shut up and go back to another earth
Great :$ Thanks everyone for your time.

I'm in a bad period for personal reasons, so this decision makes me feel better. This project was really important to me... Anyway, thanks again !

Oh, and Yesterday I found a way to kill the orb-guard faster, it works everytime if I do it correctly, besides the thing is kind of impressive x). Maybe I'll only save few sec comparing to this one but if I learn some other stuff, and in fact I already did (skip the lever and kill the four guards faster at the beginning of the last level, thanks to Archanfel one more time), I'll probably do a new 2nd part .

...And maybe one day an "ultimate" single segmented speedrun !
Take my congratulations with your first official accepting! thumbsup I'm very happy for you.
And I glad doubly that you dont drop the project even after this great achievement.
Quote from NHG:
...And maybe one day an "ultimate" single segmented speedrun !
This required simultaneously a demonic skills and a saintly patience..., but i belive you capable to do it.
More than 2 segments permit to squeeze out a few seconds, it is not so impressively as "ultimate" SS goal, but definitely still interesting too.
Good luck with future improvements.
Waiting hurts my soul...
Game page: http://speeddemosarchive.com/OutOfThisWorld.html

I don't believe this run (done on PC I think) should replace the previous (done on SNES), but as far as I know, they're basically the same game. Should they share the same page?
Not a walrus
They're close enough to each other that I would agree they should share the same page, yes.
Exoray
They're pretty much the same game only with a different name (US release was renamed to avoid confusion with a TV show).
They'll share the same page.
If I may:

Even If the two versions have differences (in my opinion the most important is the speed of both games), I suppose you can make it under the same game page. But can I ask you to use the current name if it doesn't disturb anyone ? This game is no longer known as "Out Of This World", all the versions existing today (PC, Android etc...) are called "Another World". Besides that's the original name anyway, before "Out Of This World" or "The Outer World" so...
Not a walrus
Eventually the game list will be more flexible in this respect, in that it will list the same game under all its variant names. At least that's the plan as I understand it. So it shouldn't be an issue for long.
Edit history:
NHG: 2012-06-17 07:43:10 am
NHG: 2012-06-17 07:42:38 am
Hi everyone !

I saw that the speedruns are finally in the game list and under "another world" name, it's pretty cool ^^

I have only 1 question. I noticed that both of the times aren't those I gave with submission: 10:07 instead of 10:15 and 8:46 instead of 8:54. First I thought it was a mistake but I also noticed that he (the guy who wrote the time, I don't know who he is x)) took off the exact same time in both of the videos, 8sec. So I wonder if it's really a mistake. Is there someone here who has the answer ? After all if it's my time who was wrong, I'd like to know what mistake I made ^^
Exoray
SDA timing is usually done from start of character control to end of character control. Maybe you used different timing points when timing it yourself?
Edit history:
NHG: 2012-06-17 12:16:01 pm
NHG: 2012-06-17 12:15:18 pm
NHG: 2012-06-17 12:14:33 pm
Well I don't think so. Maybe my timing was kind of inaccurate but 8sec its huge xD When I timed the run, I began at first button pressure (in main menu) so it can be a mistake from me but even if I start timing at Lester apparition in the swimming pool, the run begins at 00:04, not 00:09. Maybe the guy thought the game starts after the swimming pool =o But it's not the case, I start to control Lester underwater.

And about the end of the run, I enter the last button pressure at 10:15 and Lester is absorbed by the teleporter at 10:16 (I don't know wich is the end point) and even with this iny difference it doesn't make 8 sec so the mistake (mine or his) cannot be here.

I don't wan't to be impolite, after all it takes back almost 10 sec so it's good for the speedrun chrono but really I think there's a mistake somewhere :s
Edit history:
Sligfantry: 2012-07-15 08:37:27 am
This run is definitely timed wrong. Even if you time the end of the first segment to the screen change or when he gets shot, the overall time is 8:48. Unless I'm missing something.
Exoray
The runs have been re-timed using the correct start and end points.
The segmented is 8:50 and the single-segment run is 10:12.
Edit history:
Sligfantry: 2012-07-15 08:51:45 am
Sligfantry: 2012-07-15 08:50:07 am
Oh right, so you timed it up to when the continue screen come up, that does make it 8:50. They havent been corrected on the game page.
Exoray
Yeah we just need to do some file shuffling before we can update the game page with the new times. I'll probably have it done soon.
Exoray
The files have now been fixed and the game page has been updated to reflect the new times