List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Game Page: Doesn't exist yet

Daniel 'moooh' Wikell's practice difficulty run on the PAL version

Verifier Responses

Quote:
Video is ok, but there is a weird colored border around the actual screen.  The color changes with the pallet.

Sound is fine.

No deaths, no cheating.

I booted up my Genesis to double check a few things, and I can say that the runner is good to go.  The jump off the first camel in level 1 is so close to skipping that genie head it is not even funny.  We are talking pixels here.  But, after <10 attempts, I couldn't get it.

For whatever reason, I misremembered the pillar-to-the-shopkeeper being able to shoot you over the wall.  Again, very close, but not possible.  It may not have even saved time had you been able to do the trick - the "flying" is not very fast.

This game is my equivalent to SMB for some people; I know knew everything's locations, all the secrets.  I never knew you could skip that music thing.  I also didn't know you could skip the "big fall" in the middle of the level.  Talk about impressive.

I hate the lava level.  Both of them.  I did enjoy the moving to the music bit.  I kinda started geeking out :3

There were some very impressive skips inside the lamp.  I never would have thought of jumping into midair and hoping for a hand XD

The most disappointing part of Sultan's Palace was when the runner didn't utilize the Up + B attack.  Or maybe it was only me who did that every time he got on carpet.

I don't think I have ever beaten Jafar on a higher difficulty than practice.  Then again, I was never as good as the runner Tongue  No complaints on the last level.

I know I have watched the TAS, but I also know that the TAS never impressed me this much.  Easy yes.

Quote:
All right, here are my comments for the run:

- Audio/Video Quality looks all right. Also, everything looked consistent throughout the run (gems, apple count, lives, and score), so I don't see any use of cheating
- The stop-run technique was used effectively throughout. There were a few minor mistakes here and there, but none were too time-consuming. The only one that might be looked down on was the second Genie head they picked up (it can be avoided), but it was a simple jumping error. With every other level being as close to optimized as possible, I'd still accept the run.

I think this run will spark some interest for other runners to beat and, overall, it looks great! I'd say accept.

Quote:
Video quality is okay, and there was no evidence of cheating.

Level 1 -

Good all around, although the runner could run through more enemies and take damage given that it's being played on easy.

Level 2-

Halfway through the runner jumps on two trees to reach a ledge. You can reach it by jumping off the first one.

The runner then grabs the vine, when he could simply run across the bones which is faster. This is easy mode after all.

Level 3-

Runner takes the long way around by going right after riding the 3rd rope out of the pit. A lot of time can be saved by going left and jumping the gap during the fast part of aladdin's glitched run.

Level 4-

Done well.

Level 5-

Done Well.

Level 6-

Done Well.

Level 7-

Dying 3 times lets you skip this level. Much faster than completing it.

Level 8-

Runner goes back too far to grab the balloons. You can go back just a little, and jump at them from a lower pad. He has to use about 8 balloons, whereas you can do it in 6 or less.

Level 9-

Done Well.

Level 10-

Done Well.

Good play even though there could be a few improvements here and there. I would reject this run though since skipping the carpet ride level saves so much time. I realize the runner wanted to make a no deaths run, but that's pointless given that this run is on practice mode.

If there's going to be a separate category for deaths / no deaths, then I would approve.

Decision: Accept

Reason: It's a nice, tight run of a game that's been long overdue.
Thread title:  
Exoray
Great, thanks for the accept!
Now I'll have to start working on some audio commentary.

A few responses to the comments:

Quote:
Video is ok, but there is a weird colored border around the actual screen.  The color changes with the pallet.

Yeah, this border is present ingame too. Can't get rid of it unless I happen to come across a recorder supporting that odd resolution.

Quote:
The jump off the first camel in level 1 is so close to skipping that genie head it is not even funny.  We are talking pixels here.  But, after <10 attempts, I couldn't get it.

Yeah it is annoyingly close, not even the TAS manages to skip it.

Quote:
The most disappointing part of Sultan's Palace was when the runner didn't utilize the Up + B attack.  Or maybe it was only me who did that every time he got on carpet.

hehe, I used to do that, but the hit detection is pretty strange and occasionally swings that should most definitely have hit didn't, so regular swings and apples were a better choice.

Quote:
The only one that might be looked down on was the second Genie head they picked up (it can be avoided), but it was a simple jumping error.

Yes, very annoying occurrence. I rarely fail that jump and I feel abit ashamed for having that mistake in the run.

Quote:
Good all around, although the runner could run through more enemies and take damage given that it's being played on easy.

There is no speed penalty for swinging so killing enemies is just as fast as running through them. Also, the stop-run rhytm most often makes it more beneficial to kill them as you can start the next stop-run slightly earlier. This changes for the other difficulties as several enemies take two hits instead. So were I to make a run on the hardest difficulty I would actually be running through more enemies.

Quote:
Halfway through the runner jumps on two trees to reach a ledge. You can reach it by jumping off the first one.

Indeed and I used to do it, but the trees are a horrible horrible incarnation of a platform. Depending on how high up on the tree you land you either make the jump, or you'll fall through the upper ledge instead of landing on it. How high up on the tree you land seems to be determined where in his running animation Aladdin currently is. This caused that particular jump to be a random factor that I decided to leave out due to too many failed runs because of it.

Quote:
The runner then grabs the vine, when he could simply run across the bones which is faster. This is easy mode after all.

Yea, I messed up on that part. I'm supposed to do a long-jump and then immediately drop down from the vine but I failed doing the long jump this time.

Quote:
Runner takes the long way around by going right after riding the 3rd rope out of the pit. A lot of time can be saved by going left and jumping the gap during the fast part of aladdin's glitched run.

I assume you are talking about the gap right above the three flying rope section. The TAS pulls this off but I've not managed to do it on console, not even once. You need to get the high long jump in order to be able to get over the barrier on the left side and the high long jump requires a frame perfect execution that I've not been able to acchieve.

Quote:
Dying 3 times lets you skip this level. Much faster than completing it.

I was indeed shooting for a no-deaths run. I will probably abuse this and skip the level for my run on the hardest difficulty.

Quote:
Runner goes back too far to grab the balloons. You can go back just a little, and jump at them from a lower pad. He has to use about 8 balloons, whereas you can do it in 6 or less.

I've come to the conclusion that you can't reach the balloons from the lower pad unless you either do a high long jump or the first balloon is in a lower position. As for doing it with a high long jump, see previous response about the level 3 gap.
The first balloon is never in a lower position for me, I only get one of those if I stand and let several balloons pass first (which I deem being slower).
Twinkle-Twinkle Lil' Star, har har!
Since the run's up here, I guess I can come out and say it. I'm the second verifier and, if you can't tell from how little information there is, it was my first time verifying. I just didn't know how much detail I should have gone into in my comments, so I only talked about the stuff that the Knowledge Base recommends to comment on. Next time I verify, I will make sure to go into more detail.

Anyways, like in my comments, I really enjoyed this run and I think you did a great job, moooh! I never thought I'd see the game completed as quickly as you did it.

I look forward to watching it again when it goes up on the site!
Exoray
No worries, some verifiers leave short comments, some long and detailed. It all depends on the game and how much things there are that feels worthy commenting on. Also, I was pretty exhaustive in my run comments so it's only natural that there's not much to be said.

There's always room for adding more details either in this topic or in the game's topic in the older consoles board if something comes to your mind Smiley
You spoony bard!
I was the first.

Honestly, BS810, I had a ton of things to say about this run.  I can't tell you how many hours I poured into that little black cart as a kid.  I verified Mario Kart Wii as well, and I can tell you I had very little to say other than "Nice dodge" or "Damn blue shell."  The more intimately you know the game, the more you have to rant and rave about.  Of course, with holding your rants and raves due to not knowing how much ranting and raving is allowed/wanted is a whole different story...

Anyways, welcome to the wonderful world of verifying BS810!

And congrats on the accept moooh!
Thanks, guys! I believe it's the situation that was described about Mario Kart Wii. I wasn't as intimately involved with this game as a kid than say, I Wanna Be The Guy nowadays. Since there will be a run for that, I would have more to say about techniques and such. For Aladdin, I didn't have a lot of running experience, but I knew what needed to be done to beat the game and get a successful time.
destroy them with lazers
just finished watching the run and it brought back great memory's as I realized it was the same version as I played on the pc. great run  moooh
(user is banned)
I like mike's comments about everything he can say that relates to the infamous word "easy"
You spoony bard!
Quote from Wak:
I like mike's comments about everything he can say that relates to the infamous word "easy"

I don't get it :/

Rewatched the run, because I had no clue there was commentary.  That said, it was very enjoyable to listen to your babblings, and I liked the references to the movie.  My favorite: "Why yes, I would try everything in column B"

*geekgasm*
Exoray
Yea, this game along with Lion King were released as identical PC versions as well. The PC versions were the ones I used to play too back when they got out, only recently got ahold of the genesis cart for Aladdin.

The only time I would submit a run without including audio commentary would be if it were an IL for something. Otherwise I like to take the time of making one just because it will likely up the entertainment of the run by a lot Smiley

The verification copy did not include the commentary simply because I didn't start making the commentary until after it was accepted.
moooh has the best voice on sda
welcome to the machine
Rookie DF reportin' f'dudy, sir.
Quote from VorpalEdge:

^Epic win.
Just got done watching the commentary and, I must say, it was very well done, moooh! I think you explained the process of the run very well and also had a litttle bit of fun with your comments. I look forward to more commentaries from you on future runs!