List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Edit history:
mikwuyma: 2013-01-01 03:36:42 am
mikwuyma: 2012-12-30 08:44:09 pm
My feelings on The Demon Rush
DO's

-Do plug PCF. They're a great charity and they're always going out of their way to support us. We should return the favor. They'll even be giving us a cheat sheet we can read in case if we don't know what to say...

...FLICKY!

-Do plug SDA and SRL. Because speedrunning is fun. You can also plug the twitch team pages. I hope you guys don't need a cheat sheet for SDA and SRL. D:

-Do plug the people who made and provided prizes, especially if one of them is a prize for the current game. These people sacrificed time and money to make and/or provide prizes.

-Do go over upcoming donation incentives. People like knowing what they can donate for, especially if it's coming in the next couple of hours!

-Do mention and show the prizes. The prizes are awesome and people need to see why are they are awesome.

-Do respect serious time. If a runner needs to concentrate, then let them do so.

-Do a roll call every once in a while. People do like to know who we are. But remember, keep it to just names and only have the runner and commentators roll call if there's more than 5 people on stream.

-Do keep in mind that file and character names need to fall within pg-13 guidelines. If you want to know what the border is, we allowed the name "Wang" for Yang during FF4 at AGDQ 2011.

-Do take the time to read touching personal donation comments.

-Do talk about trivia related to the game.

-Do be informative. Informative commentary is one of the most popular commentary styles during the marathon. A good example is Lee during Yoshi's Island last AGDQ. Both people watching live and the stream chat enjoyed all of the information he was dropping.

-Do take time to explain jargon within the speedrunning community. We all might know what a sequence break or frame is, but thousands of viewers won't know.

-Do hype people up about upcoming games, donation incentives, or anything marathon-related. People like being excited about something and marathon-related events are the best way to excite them.

DON'Ts

-Don't swear all the time. It's not very professional and breaks the PG-13 aspect. You can swear occasionally (once every 30 minutes or so), but not once every 30 seconds.

-Don't diss the charity, other charities, or other speedrunning or marathon groups. This should go without saying.

-The same thing goes for other members of the community. If you have beef with someone, then discuss it with them face-to-face off-stream.

-Don't emphasize or hype donation incentives that are far away when others are close by. The upcoming incentives are higher priority! I'm not saying you can't mention incentives that are far away, but I wouldn't go over a full list of Final Fantasy IX names when Batman: Arkham City is the next game and people need to know what incentives have been met for Arkham City.

-Don't let people call serious time every 5 minutes. While serious time should be respected, it's only respectable if someone uses it sparingly.

-Don't let a roll call last over a minute. That time can be better spent commentating on the game or reading donations.

-Don't respond to trolls, you're just feeding them.

-Don't read a donation comment if it's less than a dollar. These should be filtered out, but in case if one slips through don't read it. In fact, during high donation time we might need to filter out anything that's less than 5 dollars.

-Don't read a donation comment if all it has are twitch faces and/or hashtags. We will have a ton of donation comments and we need to prioritize the comments we read. If someone donates for a file or character name to be named after a twitch face or hashtag, then that's okay to read.

-Don't hog the couch. The couch is for the runner(s) and the couch commentator(s), and just a hunch, but I don't think anyone can be a runner or couch commentator for every run.

-On that note, don't hype by yelling out twitch face emoticons. That sort of hype doesn't really help hype up the gameplay or the marathon itself.

-Don't read a donation comment if it is insulting someone. I've facepalmed a couple of times because people have read donation comments insulting someone on-site.

-Don't interrupt the runner if he or she is explaining something. The runner gets first priority for commentary.  Also, please don't mention off-topic commentary unless if the runner specifically wants to go off-topic or it's a casual run.

-Don't burn yourself out reading donations! Be sure to take a break every couple of hours. We should have plenty of people around for donation reading this marathon, and we should take advantage of it.

-When you aren't reading donations, please don't be a backseat driver. Everyone has their own style, and they generally all work out. Flicky and Breakdown are both very different commentators, but they're also both very effective.

-If you break the above rules too often or if you disrupt the commentary too much, then Romscout, Puwexil, Breakdown, or I will pull you from the commentary.

-Just remember, have fun! One of the reasons why the marathons are so great is because we're having fun.

I'm aware a lot of people love the twitch faces and hashtags and might think some of my rules are merely there to prevent some established memes, so let me explain my reasoning.

1. This is primarily a charity marathon, and I'd rather promote PCF, SDA, and SRL over memes.

2. I have no problem with memes that originated from random and creative moments that occur during marathons. There are several memes that have originated during -GDQ events but they generally pertained to something related to gameplay, runners, or other marathon specific content.
Thread title:  
Edit history:
mikwuyma: 2013-07-16 10:40:12 pm
mikwuyma: 2012-12-30 08:54:18 pm
mikwuyma: 2012-12-30 09:30:17 am
mikwuyma: 2012-12-30 09:29:24 am
Donation Comment Filtering

It will be impossible to read every donation comment this marathon. We were an hour and a half behind during some parts of AGDQ 2012, and I only expect donation traffic to be even more intense this time around. In fact, I expect traffic to be so intense that we will need at least one person who is dedicated to filtering donation comments.

-The program should auto-filter donations that are less than a dollar, but in case if one slips through, filter it out.

-Some people do not want their names read out loud when they donate. There will be an anonymous flag you can check so that the donation reader doesn't read their name by accident (like we have done often in the past).

-Donations insulting someone should be filtered out.

-If a donation is solely twitch faces, hashtags, or just generally spam, then filter it out.

-On that note, if someone donates a small amount of money just to write a mountain of text, then filter it out. We'll be busy enough reading short donation comments. The only exception we should make for mountains of text is...

-Personal stories relating to our cause should be read.

-If a donation comment is creative and funny then it should be read. Just FYI, while some people might find twich faces funny, they're certainly not creative.

-When it comes to bid wars, any new name/option in the bid war should be mentioned. However, not every single donation toward the bid war should be mentioned out loud. Instead we should just periodically update people with a quick summary of the amounts because they will be displayed on the marathon webpage.
Crawlathon WR, get down on my level.
(Should probably move the bit about insulting people to the donation comment filtering section)
Quote from mikwuyma:
-On that note, don't hype by yelling out twitch face emoticons. That sort of hype doesn't really help hype up the gameplay or the marathon itself.

As the person responsible for coordinating the chat moderation, please PLEASE don't forget this rule. I like hype. I love hype. Having to wade through a full page of FacetextZ or #hashtags is not something I enjoy doing. The commentators have so much power over how the chat reacts, and it just makes our job harder if this sort of thing happens.
Voice
This is a good set of rules that will keep the charity and the marathon as the primary focus. I look forward to getting to read some comments!
Magical. Flying. Bathtub
Can we just have a final rule of "if in doubt, ask" (whether it's the runner(s) or whoever's in charge at the time) For instance, I will have no problem (as long as one of us isn't explaining a trick) if the Arkham City commentary moves into discussion of general Batman or DC trivia, if only because it usually happens naturally - on that note I fully expect (and encourage) the Mr. Freeze fight to devolve into everybody doing the worst ice puns in their worst Arnie accents!  However I'm pretty sure not everybody will feel the same about their games/characters.
RoboSparkle: That's fine, but you'll have to be a little more specific with the rule. In other words, when in doubt, ask the runner?
Magical. Flying. Bathtub
Uh I guess what I meant by that was if you aren't certain about what would or wouldn't constitute a useful/appropriate comment then ask the runner about it (before the game starts). 

So if you wanted to provide commentary on a particular trick but weren't 100% clear on the facts then you should check it, or taking the Arkham City example you wasn't sure if it would be ok to talk about who the different VAs are or when Nolan North keeps talking to himself (FYI that's absolutely fine), then it would be best to check with the runner to make sure he's cool with it.

Dunno if anybody's got a better way of explaining it really I just thought that everybody's got a slightly different view on what is or isn't appropriate or distracting to talk about during a run and it would be best if the runner and the commentators were on the same page.
Is PJ
I stopped reading at "Do flicky".  If you need me, I'll be in my room.  If you need him, don't go snooping around.
Edit history:
UraniumAnchor: 2012-12-31 01:54:51 pm
Omnigamer: 2012-12-31 12:03:13 pm
All the things
Rather than a rule, is there a guideline for doing roll calls? The chats at previous marathons have requested them intermittently, but probably not something that should happen more than once per hour or so.
SEGA Junkie
You're right, there's not really any need to do it more than once an hour. Generally a good guideline is if you see requests in the chat and the people in the room have changed significantly since last time.
Edit history:
UraniumAnchor: 2012-12-31 01:55:00 pm
Professional Second Banana
When doing roll calls, unless there aren't very many people in the room it should just be limited to everyone saying who they are.  In previous marathons if people also tried to get into what games they were running or other details, we'd be lucky to get even halfway through the roll call before it got cut off due to the runner/commentators having something to say.
Is PJ
Quote from puwexil:
When doing roll calls, unless there aren't very many people in the room it should just be limited to everyone saying who they are.  In previous marathons if people also tried to get into what games they were running or other details, we'd be lucky to get even halfway through the roll call before it got cut off due to the runner/commentators having something to say.

We tried doing a roll call for about 4 levels of Battletoads last year.  It was pretty impressive.  I was doing a pretty good job of blocking the roll call, but yea it did kind of turn into a biography hour.  I agree with keeping it to names.
Yes Roll Calls should be names unless if there's somehow less than 5 people on camera. Even then it should just be names and what the person runs.
ᕦ(° Д°)ᕤ
Definitly going to keep these in mind when I donate.
Haters gonna hate
Quote from mikwuyma:
Yes Roll Calls should be names unless if there's somehow less than 5 people on camera. Even then it should just be names and what the person runs.

Very much agree with this, and really, roll calls should only really involve people who are actually talking to the stream (runner, couch, donation station, maybe some people in the front row of seats if they're chiming in with any regularity).  Even with just names, trying to get through everyone on camera (not to mention the back and forth of determining who actually is on camera) just takes a bunch of time that could be better spent commentating or reading donations.
Added a do and a don't for roll calls in the first post.
The original, since 2003.
This one should be pretty obvious, but a definite DON'T is to leave a donation comment that is violates the PG-13 rating limit. The people reading the donations don't like seeing that and such comments will not be read on the air. (if it's for a charactr name, donation incentive, bidding war, etc, the commentator can read the stuff concerning a specific donation incentive, but not anything that they deem inappropriate for the stream)

Likewise, don't use inappropriate names for files, video game characters, and other such stuff.  they will not be included in any bidding wars.
Regarding roll calls: Can we make an official exception to the "names only" rule for runners whose games are coming up relatively soon?
I donated but not if it was successful. not hear anything in the air, and dont know if is good
You should PM SDAMarathon in the chat if you have concerns about whether your donation went through.
I  send pm to SpeedDemosArchivesda in the chat,  and don't answer
Exoray
SpeedDesmosArchivesda is not a monitored account. You have to, as Reiska said, PM SDAMarathon in the official chat (the Quakenet chat).
Ok ok, Thanks!