Smiley
Sad
page  <- 12345678910111213 -> <- 1 .. 10 .. 13 ->
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Now that I've got everyone excited, here's some bad news. There are a number of flaws in the sword. I think that I have to disclose them so that no one is paying for something that doesn't meet their expectations. See the attached pics.

Item 1: I call this the EDM disaster. Part of making the handguard involved a process called electrical discharge machining. There's a guy in the shop who does much of the EDM work. This guy happens to be thoroughly incompetent. I don't know why I even let him near this thing as he ruins almost everything he touches, but I did, and he really fucked it up. Such is one of the perennial deficiencies of organized labor. The good news is that only one side of the sword is really ugly. The other side actually looks decent. Note the aluminum piece nearby. This was my practice piece. Notice the point that appear above the Triforce. That's how the brass piece used to look.

Item 2: There's a small gap between the hardguard and the handguard support. This did not exist when I machined the parts. They mated perfectly. I can only think that the EDM disaster somehow distorted the hardguard such that its arc changed.

Item 3: There are a number of points on the blade where the color didn't take. This was caused by subtle differences in the surface finish. They were invisible before coloring. The only way to repair them would be to polish all of the color back off and then recolor the blade. I would have done this if I had more time, but it is no longer an option.

Tom Folino: I don't think anyone would try cutting things with it. :p

Sir VG: I'm in Sweden, so maybe she'd have to ask about EU laws as well.
Claimh Happy
First the shirt and now this. If you guys come out with any more stupidly awesome prizes I'm not going to have any money left over to just be nice to my friends during their runs. T-T
Edit history:
mikwuyma: 2011-12-11 01:03:07 pm
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Hmmm Tom, I don't know if a raffle is better than bidding war for the sword, it's hard to say, because the only auction/bidding war we had was the frezy shirt, and a lot has changed since CGDQ. I will say that if there is a raffle, it should be set at 25 dollars minimum (probably more like 30) because that is one incredible sword. Even more incredible than boxed Earthbound, and I'm setting that one at 20.

Oh yeah, maybe we should try sword hobbyist sites or replica sword dealers for international shipping info? It would stink if Europeans didn't have a chance.
Edit history:
Chrno: 2011-12-11 01:24:54 pm
Chrno: 2011-12-11 01:19:40 pm
Chrno: 2011-12-11 01:19:30 pm
WOW.
Quote from mikwuyma:
Hmmm Tom, I don't know if a raffle is better than bidding war for the sword, it's hard to say, because the only auction/bidding war we had was the frezy shirt, and a lot has changed since CGDQ. I will say that if there is a raffle, it should be set at 25 dollars minimum (probably more like 30) because that is one incredible sword. Even more incredible than boxed Earthbound, and I'm setting that one at 20.

Oh yeah, maybe we should try sword hobbyist sites or replica sword dealers for international shipping info? It would stink if Europeans didn't have a chance.

Depends on the country. I know you can ship it to the UK because they only ban curved swords (I think).

As for a donations I can contribute, I have a spare new copy of 'Guinness Book of World Records: Gamer's Edition 2011' that I am never going to read. I don't mind shipping that internationally.

Edit history:
moooh: 2011-12-11 02:35:26 pm
Exoray
Doubt a world record book would fit with any game though. Better save that one for something else.

Sword flaws are pretty small and insignificant if you consider the whole item so I'm sure any winner will be very happy with it regadless Smiley
I can think of one easy way to find out about international shipping. Those of you in countries other than USA, go to Amazon.com and search for "master sword" or "zelda sword." You can actually search for this in lots of places, but I know that Amazon lists a bunch of vendors. Anyway, the search will bring up a bunch of results for a replica master sword. Pick one of the results, add it to your basket, and see what the shipping prices/details are. Make sure the vendor you pick in shipping from the USA.
My name is unpronounceable
Quote from mikwuyma:

Another option is to allow for multiple entries into the raffle.  I'm thinking of how the Desert Bus marathon did it if you're familiar.  What they did at times was rather than limiting people to one entry, they gave an entry for every multiple of $X donated.  I think it'd allow for much more donation potential, while still being relatively accessible.  If you do go with the auction route, would you just do it over IRC and go by the time stamps? 
Boom went this dynamite
Quote from mapler90210:
First the shirt and now this. If you guys come out with any more stupidly awesome prizes I'm not going to have any money left over to just be nice to my friends during their runs. T-T

great job on the prizes so far. I think the IRC auction is a great idea. That item could fetch some megabucks if any rich nerds are watching. I don't know a whole lot about metalsmithing, but you might be able to fill in that gap near the handle with an alloy solder, or something like that. shame about the chip on the triforce of awesomeness. reading you vent at incompetent people makes me smile. i once had a project, and it was destroyed by somebody who didn't fully understand gravity.
Fucking Weeaboo
I like mocliamtoh's idea - this makes the item accessible to anybody that's willing to put in $30 or so, rather then an auction where if it went above $x, then suddenly only a few people can get it.  I think you'll get more money by doing multiple small amounts, rather then 1 large amount.
Claimh Happy
I don't have a problem with multiple entries, but if we do that then can we lower the minimum price? I think anyone who would've donated 30 for it would do so anyways, and tons of people who wouldn't have thought they can afford it would donate if the minimum were only like 10.
Balls jerky
I won the Frezy shirt by max donation though! It will be making an appearance at its 3rd winter marathon I assure you.
Sea of Green
Yoshi hat! Shocked http://ravel.me/MercuryZelda/kofb
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Quote from mapler90210:
I don't have a problem with multiple entries, but if we do that then can we lower the minimum price? I think anyone who would've donated 30 for it would do so anyways, and tons of people who wouldn't have thought they can afford it would donate if the minimum were only like 10.

No because holy shit this thing literally worth a thousand dollars, so 30 is not a bad buy-in at all.
train kept rollin
Not as exciting as A FUCKING SWORD but I have a copy of Super meat boy Ultra Edition and 1 copy of smb Ultra Rare edition. It comes with a T-shirt, soundtrack, sketchbook/comic and a poster. Ultra is the same minus the shirt and the fancy box.
Fucking Weeaboo
Quote from Mercury.Com:

Did your hat just lay an egg?

Nice. Smiley
I don't even know what the fuck this is
AJFROGNEKBL ADSFOHAVFNVBL AFGHB HOLY SHIT @ SWORD!!!!! !! ! !  !  ! !  !  !    !  !  ! !
Fish. Blub blub.
A quad of meat. <3
I don't even know what the fuck this is
get that atrocious abomination out of here I want to look at the sword
Fish. Blub blub.
Quote from Tiki:
get that atrocious abomination out of here I want to look at the sword

QUAD MEAT SWORD :U
Exoray
Alright so we had a spammer posting under different guest nicks trying to pose as other members. I've deleted all posts and the spammer has been banned.
(user is banned)
Quote from moooh:
Alright so we had a spammer posting under different guest nicks trying to pose as other members. I've deleted all posts and the spammer has been banned.

What happened, and how long can you get banned for?
Exoray
Quote from Awesome:
Quote from moooh:

What happened, and how long can you get banned for?

We're thinking around 5 years should be enough for you to grow up and learn how to behave on a public forum.
Back on topic, trihex has a piece of artwork for Yoshi's Island that was a prize for his own marathon. The winner turned out to be Uyama, so it's now a prize for AGDQ!
Ok, here's one more pic and I'm done hogging this thread. I've started a new thread to discuss future metal prizes. Check it out here. Your input is valued:

http://forum.speeddemosarchive.com/post/metal_prizes_for_future_marathons.html

About this pic, the wide lens distorts everything. The sword is 32" long while the tenderizer is 10 1/4"long.

Attachment: