Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
1-Up!
Game Page: Doesn't exist yet

SS Easy any% with warps run

Verifier Responses

Quote:
Decision: ACCEPT
Audio/Video: Good. (If there appears to be a video problem, namely the screen freezing for a second or more, the reason for this is because this game is very glitchy, so that is normal)
Cheating: No.
Run Time Estimate (no in-game timer): 0h:22m:16s
Reason for accepting: The run is solidly executed.  This game is very interesting because it is so glitchy and also has Mario-like warping pipes.  Also, because this game is glitchy, most of the runner's mistakes are easily excusable for that very reason.

Quote:
Ah, Advent Rising -- the little game that could.  I'm from Utah, and it was one of the first games released from a company here.  Majesco pushed the game to release when it should have had much more time, sealing the fate of the game (and series).  I joined the forums and helped people with tech support before I had even played the game myself.  So many people posted about the same game-breaking glitches that it was easy to know what happened.

The dialog and music are actually very good for a game that fell apart.  I'm organizing this according to the quotes in each section.

"Not all of us want to be celebrity swingers." -- This is a lie.  Anyway, you've got a perfect flight here.

"This way, sir." -- Got caught up trying to pass a guard.  Seems like he jumps faster running by walls.

"Kick him while he's down!" --  Every sci fi game needs a bar fight.  Yours goes well.

"I'm sending in a another group of digital bad-guys." -- Takes advantage of the weird jumping mechanics again to speed things up.  You are a much better targeter than I ever was, but I was more of a PC player (which had special controls as well).  Great job fighting the holograms.  I love the way his brother says "Yeah."  Sounds like Tim the Tool-man Taylor.  Very quick battle with the bar dudes.

"The gun! Get the gun!" -- Yeah, that guy can die.  He's a douche.  Your brother really should learn how to walk faster.  I'm not sure why you kicked the lamp -- probably to skip dialogue.  That's my guess, anyway.  Nice awkward wall dive to end the scene.

"Otherwise, this would be really difficult." -- Wait, why are you walking without your brother? Wow, what a magical glitch.  You look like you're in a horrible Western.  Ah, there he is.  Great music at this point.  A weird cripple hop down the stairs.  Stupid guards get in your way, but they have no personal space.  For having a broken leg, your brother sure can climb over hand rails.

"Stand back! Keep back!" -- I hate the doors in this game.  Even if you kill all the dudes, the door doesn't open any faster.  Probably takes longer with all the glitchy lag in the fighting, anyway.  Wow, this door is long.  Finally, open.  Great fight, stupid door after the fight.  Whoa, crazy wall jumps to the pipe.  Yeah, that was definitely not the way you were supposed to go, and it looks awesome.

"Lift one of these pillars, exalted one.  Lift it... with your mind." -- Pipes take you to alien dojos. That sounds like some illegal stuff.  Good job taking advantage of jumping glitch during required dialogue.  Whack those aliens with your face!

No awkward quote; I am sad Sad -- Now you get crappy low-gravity physics.  Still, you get to the pipe triggers very quickly.  Miss one super jump, but the close jumps after that are worth it.  Yay, pipe land!

"Dona eis requiem" -- Awesome music! That flying wench gets what she deserves.  I'm pretty sure the surge attacks at the wall are to attack enemies hidden behind, but I'll have to check the notes.

"Saving progress" -- okay, so that's not a quote from dialogue.  You walk around and freeze to death.  I am so proud. But wow, that low-life sound is way annoying. What an exciting ending Smiley

This is a great run.  I've only seen one other person attempt a run of this game, and I'm pretty sure it was almost twice as long as this.  The glitches are beautiful, and you owned a game that is notorious for having painful physics and controls.  I gladly accept this run.  Thank you, thank you for being awesome and running this game.

Quote:
definite accept. There were a couple times where he bumped into some stuff (early on wallriding into the NPC, etc) but those are all easily excused due to how annoying this game can be to control. Accept from me.

Decision: Accept

Congratulations to Greg 'Setz' Tyndall!
Thread title:  
Thanks a lot, guys, and big thanks to the verifiers! I'm going to put together a commentary track for the final encode as soon as possible. Until I get that done, people who want to see the run can watch it here.
destroy them with lazers
Just watched the run and though I haven't played it myself it looked very good. Plenty of little time savers and skips by the looks of things. Is a full game run in the works?
Yep, but I've been hesitating on it a bit just in case I find a trick early on that lets me skip some of the tedious stuff (the training section you saw in this run being the big one). A full game run will be much more interesting to watch because I found some huge glitches with some of the psychic powers that allow me to complete a normal 4-5 minute level in about 20 seconds, skip a boss battle, and also bypass two of the six psychic powers.

I posted a thread over in PC Games that gives a quick summary of the most interesting tricks if you'd like to see: http://forum.speeddemosarchive.com/post/advent_rising.html