1 page
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Game Page: http://speeddemosarchive.com/TMNT2.html

Freddy 'Frezy_man' Andersson's NTSC run.

Verifier Responses

Quote:
Audio Quality: Just fine.  No issues.
Video Quality: Just fine.  No issues.

Run Comments: The main part of the run is fine.  The runner does take quite a few smacks to the face, especially in the first level, but never has any stupid deaths.

The boss fights, are a bit weak.  Outside of the Stone Warrior fights and Baxter Stockman, a constant barrage of super attacks isn't as effective as a constant barrage of jump kicks.  Super Attacks may do 4 damage (compared to the jump kick's 3), but when you spend half of the time with your butt on the floor, it's not as solid, IMO.  It works better on the Stone Warriors because you can get at least 2 hits off, plus the distance you're thrown isn't far, making for considerably faster recovery time.  Baxter Stockman (human) is the only VERY GOOD one for doing mainly super attacks on.  Baxter Stockman (Fly) is ok to use it on too, just the whole battle is slow (not sure if jump kicks would make for a faster fight).

Most of the uses of exploding barrels I think cost time, rather then save it.  Same with the signs/candles/etc.

But with the run being about 3 minutes faster then the present record, I guess there's not enough complaints here to reject it.

Quote:
No video/audio problems what so ever.
Takes damage to save time on several occasions (mainly the bosses, which without doubt is the hardest part of this game.)
Few minor errors, this being a single segment, they're no problem.
One noticeable bug is being used throughout the main part of the game, that being the jump attack (with the swords) allows you to hit an enemy 3 consecutive times while only doing it twice. And can only be done when enemy is opposing a wall. At least I could only do so.

Generally I was quite impressed with the video, which kind of grew on me. At first it seemed a bit boring, but when strolling through the harder levels of the game like a hot knife through butter, I was  quite impressed in the end, and the boss fights definately knocked it up another notch.

I timed the game from character select screen to final boss kill in 35 minutes 52 seconds. (manual timing). Please let me know if I am way off.

I'd say go for it.

Quote:
Good improvement over the previous run, especially the Stockman battle in the sewer. The runner dies a bunch (4 times), but most of the deaths were warranted, since he used them for leaping slashes, which do more damage than jump kicks.

One verifier wanted his comments withheld. He just said this run was a good improvement over the current run.

Decision: Accept

Reason: This run is a big improvement over the 39:20 run.
Thread title:  
bläää
thanks for verifying and nice small reviews. I recommend ask Mike for my comments next time you verify. Maybe you did, but I you have a lots to say as a verifier then I recommend reading my comments first.

Quote from mikwuyma:

The boss fights, are a bit weak.  Outside of the Stone Warrior fights and Baxter Stockman, a constant barrage of super attacks isn't as effective as a constant barrage of jump kicks.  Super Attacks may do 4 damage (compared to the jump kick's 3), but when you spend half of the time with your butt on the floor, it's not as solid, IMO.  It works better on the Stone Warriors because you can get at least 2 hits off, plus the distance you're thrown isn't far, making for considerably faster recovery time.

Baxter Stockman (Fly) is ok to use it on too, just the whole battle is slow (not sure if jump kicks would make for a faster fight).

Most of the uses of exploding barrels I think cost time, rather then save it.  Same with the signs/candles/etc.

I have something to say about this Wink

Jump slashes on Stone warriors and Baxter stockman is both faster. Both Baxter Stockman fights. Even on the second one. I did screw up the second fight. so It ended up to be about the same as if I had jump kicked him. IIRC, 20 Jump slashes or 27 Jump kicks. I got hit a few times so I loosed the time compared with 7 more hits.
Not only those fights is faster using jump slashes. Im sure most players would agreed that the krang(maybe you count Krang as stone warrior? I do not) fight is a lot faster doing jump slashes. Rocksteady (boss nr1) is a bit random so here it doesnt matter. Usually I felt I earned some time on jump slashes. but not in this attempt =/
  Jump slash bebop feels a bit faster. Seriously, do you think you can kill bebop faster using jump kicks only? At least do to my fast calculations I cant figure out how Wink
And that Ninja master boss in the dojo. Usually I can kill him a lot faster, I had bad luck. But basicly using jump slashes specially in the beginning of the fights saved time. I have killed him twice as fast using jump slashes only Tongue

about hit items to kill enemies. I don´t disagree with you here. but I could have been luckier too. For example the second spire in the dojo. Its totally missed. But was close to hit two foot soldiers. Usually I hit one or two. It is luck based and in the long end I think I do not save or earn any time as I can tell. But I tried to figure out how to use it better two as practice.

PS. I where Agressive on fighting foot soldiers. I did a lots of mistakes but many hits where taken because of bad luck too.
Very nice run... and quite a big improvement. Good job  Smiley
bläää
thanks Baxter Smiley
Visit my profile to see my runs!
Oh hey, you beat my brother's run!  Congratulations!  I figured Marble Madness would be the first to go down.

I haven't watched it yet, but nice time Frezy.
everybody wanna tell you the meaning of music
Quote from InsipidMuckyWater:
I figured Marble Madness would be the first to go down.

Lol, yeah... about that... Tongue
Hi! I'm andrewg!
Quote from Enhasa:
Quote from InsipidMuckyWater:
I figured Marble Madness would be the first to go down.

what did I miss?  Wink
Visit my profile to see my runs!
Quote from Enhasa:

What?  That it's already been beaten?  Yeah, I know that.  I posted in that thread myself weeks ago.  Besides, the Marble Madness run had been beaten multiple times before that, if I'm not mistaken.  Sdkess was the first, IIRC, but it 'wasn't a speedrun' or something.  And then a couple people have beaten Elliott's run on their way to the current record, which I'm assuming is in the process of submission.
everybody wanna tell you the meaning of music
Yeah, that it's going up semi-soon. Maybe you already know that too but I wasn't sure.